**Official 2021 Iowa Football Off-Season Thread**

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
I’ve said it before but any fan rooting for Petras to lose the job would be sorely disappointed if it actually happened. Padilla appears to have a noodleish arm and isn’t much more mobile. Deuce is apparently not even close.

Best case scenario is for Petras to improve. He seems to have by far the best arm and KOK said his knowledge of the offense is as good as any QB he has had. I think the ceiling is higher with Petras and hopefully having spring and fall ball helps out a lot.
Then they should cut them all and replace everyone involved with bringing them here.

Reaction score
I’ve said it before but any fan rooting for Petras to lose the job would be sorely disappointed if it actually happened. Padilla appears to have a noodleish arm and isn’t much more mobile. Deuce is apparently not even close.

Best case scenario is for Petras to improve. He seems to have by far the best arm and KOK said his knowledge of the offense is as good as any QB he has had. I think the ceiling is higher with Petras and hopefully having spring and fall ball helps out a lot.
Perhaps Padilla sucks; maybe we'll know more by May 1. But he looked rather good in the final spring scrimmage of 19 as an early enrollee. He moved the team well and threw a nice TD to Nico in the corner of the end zone. He threw a couple of crisp balls against Michigan State and moved well. And one of our weaker armed QBs (Hartlieb) passed for almost 7k in two years while earning All Big 10 both years. (KF was also pretty sure he was the 3rd string QB based on practice.)I

I'm a sucker for underdog stories, though.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
I’m telling you all Spencer is winning the Heisman.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Spencer seems to think “getting it out quickly” is the key. KOK says he needs to slow down his progressions (I read that as shit his pants less). There is some room to reconcile those two things, but not a ton. I pray it doesn’t portend a more fulsome return to Greg Davis field compressing dipshittery.

Last edited:

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score

QB, more than any other position in the entire game, is predicated upon that 6 inches between the ears and how it functions when the shit starts flying in games. Spencer was an abject disaster in game last year. And the simple fact of the matter, is that you have absolutely no idea how they will perform until given that opportunity. I don’t give a shit how they perform in Practice....we need to see some game Reps to see what we have. Because what the Hawks have currently..:is statistically, one of the very worst QB’s in all of college football.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
QB, more than any other position in the entire game, is predicated upon that 6 inches between the ears and how it functions when the shit starts flying in games. Spencer was an abject disaster in game last year. And the simple fact of the matter, is that you have absolutely no idea how they will perform until given that opportunity. I don’t give a shit how they perform in Practice....we need to see some game Reps to see what we have. Because what the Hawks have currently..:is statistically, one of the very worst QB’s in all of college football.
Ok? I’m not disagreeing with any of that. My point is that Petras seems to have more physical tools than the other guys in the program, so I’d much rather Petras figure out the mental side of it than have Padilla win the job. I feel like Iowa’s ceiling with Petras playing good football is higher than with Padilla playing good football.

Gushawk

Reaction score
I agree, but Petras is a really unathletic as a runner, which means that the skill positions need to be well above the KF era average for that statement about the ceiling to be true. I think they are largely thanks to Copeland.

Spencer would be an absolute disaster with a JVB / Jake level surrounding cast, imo

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
Ok? I’m not disagreeing with any of that. My point is that Petras seems to have more physical tools than the other guys in the program, so I’d much rather Petras figure out the mental side of it than have Padilla win the job. I feel like Iowa’s ceiling with Petras playing good football is higher than with Padilla playing good football.
My point is that without the 6 inches between the ears functioning at a high level...none of the “physical tools” mean Dick. And last year, Petras’ brain was fucking broken.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Spencer seems to think “getting it out quickly” is the key. KOK says he needs to slow down his progressions (I read that as shit his pants less). There is some room to reconcile those two things, but not a ton. I pray it doesn’t portend a more fulsome return to Greg Davis field compressing dipshittery.
Getting it out quickly is good if you are making reads quickly. You can also get rid of the ball quickly by dumping it off to the running back if your first option is covered, which is a less ideal way to obtain the same goal.

thrawn

Reaction score
The best hope for Petras and his game reads is that the cancellation of spring ball and goofy summer through him off. It’s not a great excuse since every other team on the schedule had the COVID stuff (just not the race stuff) and he was a third-year sophomore, but a regular offseason/preseason is at least hopefully helpful.

Reaction score
I agree, but Petras is a really unathletic as a runner, which means that the skill positions need to be well above the KF era average for that statement about the ceiling to be true. I think they are largely thanks to Copeland.

Spencer would be an absolute disaster with a JVB / Jake level surrounding cast, imo
How about a receiver corps of Riley McCarron, Jerminic Smith, and a bit of Ronald Nash and Adrian Falconer thrown in? And Peter Pekar at TE, along with freshman Fant. (That was when CJ "regressed" because of Greg Davis.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
My point is that without the 6 inches between the ears functioning at a high level...none of the “physical tools” mean Dick. And last year, Petras’ brain was fucking broken.
And fixing brains is exceedingly rare. I'd bet a nickel that's why Hayden didn't mess with the Petras of 1992- Matt Eyde- for very long.

Vacations at the Wisconsin Dells
Reaction score
Nothing is more manly than bragging about missing a loved one's wedding to watch a football game!!

Gushawk

Reaction score
How about a receiver corps of Riley McCarron, Jerminic Smith, and a bit of Ronald Nash and Adrian Falconer thrown in? And Peter Pekar at TE, along with freshman Fant. (That was when CJ "regressed" because of Greg Davis.)
imagine Jake R with those guys. he was bad enough with the mediocre group he had

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score

Anybody not named Michael Vick would

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
Getting it out quickly is good if you are making reads quickly. You can also get rid of the ball quickly by dumping it off to the running back if your first option is covered, which is a less ideal way to obtain the same goal.
Right, and that’s what it’s going to be. Dump offs to the running backs, 3 yards outs, etc. We saw last year that the coaches don’t trust Petras to throw downfield, and when he did make a rare downfield throw he was terrible at it.
Given that from last year, and given what we’ve seen from past versions of the Iowa Hawkeye offense, every sign points to “getting it out quickly” to mean short routes and dump offs.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
No one hates his Hawkeyes like Shawnee does & imma telling you Spence sucks some big sloppy donkey dicks boyz

Reaction score
imagine Jake R with those guys. he was bad enough with the mediocre group he had
Smith, Powell, KMM, Vande and Hillyer (with Duzey and Hamilton and even the young Kittle at TE) were like Alabama-Clemson in comparison. It's hard to overstate how important Wadley was in 2016.

Reaction score
Right, and that’s what it’s going to be. Dump offs to the running backs, 3 yards outs, etc. We saw last year that the coaches don’t trust Petras to throw downfield, and when he did make a rare downfield throw he was terrible at it.
Given that from last year, and given what we’ve seen from past versions of the Iowa Hawkeye offense, every sign points to “getting it out quickly” to mean short routes and dump offs.
What? They didn't change the offense for him, he just missed every deep ball until the final couple of games. Attempting throws downfield is not optional in our offense.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Wasn't real excited about Fenske as a recruit, but I know nothing of how he has progressed so far

Reaction score
Fenske was a reach and likely would have been a walk on in most years.
We offered him pretty early (before we got a commitment from Justin Britt). I think they liked him at camp the prior year but he was small and had put on like 50 more pounds. In any event, I assume he got passed and Myslinkski may only need one year of seasoning before taking over.

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
Arrivederci, '19ers

Miller
McCall
Byrd
Jeudy
Hunt (never came)
McKinney
Fenske
did we want any of those guys anyways? Serious question since I’m sure you watched their high school film and I enjoy your opinion.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
did we want any of those guys anyways? Serious question since I’m sure you watched their high school film and I enjoy your opinion.
The coaches really liked Miller from what I remember about his recruitment. At one point they thought they were getting the best tackle in the class but he couldn’t handle it mentally. Hunt would have been nice.

The rest were the types that you hope a couple develop and become contributors but were also ‘he’ll likely be in the portal in a couple years’ guys. McKinney probably had the best chance to contribute but didn’t seem patient enough to wait his turn. Charlie Jones took the job he really wanted.