**Official 2022 Iowa Football Season Thread**

Reaction score
Kirk is officially in Elder Statements Who Doesn't Give a Fuck Territory , Doesn't grouse about expansion or NIL. Not earth shattering but a good dude who appreciates what he's had/has. Did, however, praise both Petras and Padilla and called it something to the effect of a "great situation".

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
Kirk is officially in Elder Statements Who Doesn't Give a Fuck Territory , Doesn't grouse about expansion or NIL. Not earth shattering but a good dude who appreciates what he's had/has. Did, however, praise both Petras and Padilla and called it something to the effect of a "great situation".

Geriatric Declarations.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
The pain of Iowa not converting there is incomplete if you see nothing but the single play that isnt converted. It was the Hawks moving the ball at will up to that point….combined with the fact that if you’ve been an Iowa fan long enough you know that a first down miscue leads to misery on remaining downs 98.7% of the time….that really drove the salt in to the wound.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score

I’ve always liked Eisen and I guess it’s been awhile since I listened to him. He shockingly came across like kind of a prick. Just LA personality I guess, but sadly not the dude I remember.

Fair and Balanced

Calls All Soda Coke
Reaction score

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score
He's a good listen and seems like a good guy, albeit a bit of a red ass which I don't have a problem with. It would be awesome if he succeeds and improve the offense.

I saw this tweet a couple days ago...

I wish he would scheme successful matchups like this more. I know McVay is an offensive genius, but I wouldn't call Anthony Lynn one. We should be able to get our WRs into matchups on LBs and safeties more often.

Monster

Fapped to The Karate Kid Wearing a Mask
Reaction score
He's a good listen and seems like a good guy, albeit a bit of a red ass which I don't have a problem with. It would be awesome if he succeeds and improve the offense.

I saw this tweet a couple days ago...

I wish he would scheme successful matchups like this more. I know McVay is an offensive genius, but I wouldn't call Anthony Lynn one. We should be able to get our WRs into matchups on LBs and safeties more often.
I agree. We won't though until the run game improves.

The Rams also had two other very dangerous receivers. Maybe KJ and Ragaini will be good enough to get the respect of the defense and draw some safety help.

Reaction score
I agree. We won't though until the run game improves.

The Rams also had two other very dangerous receivers. Maybe KJ and Ragaini will be good enough to get the respect of the defense and draw some safety help.
It’s tough to exploit matchups downfield when you don’t have the WRs for it. The OL was a major issue last fall and teams stacking the box w/o having to respect our WRs magnified the issues. We had to utilize play action and misdirection to get our WRs open last fall, but it worked vs PSU. BF catches a lot of heat for his play calling but I think the real culprit is our inability to consistently recruit playmakers on offense.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I don't know why people say that like it's a defense. This isn't the NFL with a separate front office scouting and drafting and signing players. The offensive coaches are the same guys responsible for recruiting offensive players.

You're just identifying a different thing the same group of people are bad at.

Reaction score
I don't know why people say that like it's a defense. This isn't the NFL with a separate front office scouting and drafting and signing players. The offensive coaches are the same guys responsible for recruiting offensive players.

You're just identifying a different thing the same group of people are bad at.
I think it’s a top on down issue. Every staff or program has its weaknesses. Our philosophy isn’t always going to attract those sort of players unless we’re winning 10 games consistently or a blue blood.

I don’t know if they’re “bad at it” or just made the conscious decision to focus on player development and continuing with their philosophy because it’s been fairly effective over the years in the W/L column.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
Bad offense in todays game is a CHOICE

Reaction score
Complete ineptitude isn't a philosophy
They were a first down from winning 11 games last year. Stop being stupid about it. It had a lot more to do with our youth and inexperience up front than anything. We’re not a blue blood, this isn’t the NFL either. Roster weaknesses will surface from time to time and despite our youth issues, including young WRs, we won 10 games.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Complete ineptitude isn't a philosophy
Every time that people talk about this they talk like we're talking about Iowa going to some sort of air raid offense. No. I just want when Iowa lines up in a traditional set and runs the ball for it to go 5 yards instead of 3 yards. When the quarterback drops back to pass, I'd really like it if it was completed downfield instead of being dumped off to the RB for 1 yard gain.

That's not philosophy. That's execution.

Reaction score
Because they had elite defense and special teams.
Glaringly obvious. The staff knew our offense was weak and way more often than not put the team in a position to utilize those two strengths to win games. Was I frustrated by the offensive performance and the holes in the depth chart? Definitely and I’m hoping things get better moving forward.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Glaringly obvious. The staff knew our offense was weak and way more often than not put the team in a position to utilize those two strengths to win games. Was I frustrated by the offensive performance and the holes in the depth chart? Definitely and I’m hoping things get better moving forward.
Yes. But the point is that "they almost won 11 games" isn't a defense of the offense. That's nonsense.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
I’m hoping the uncertainty at kicker will lead to Brian being more aggressive in the Red Zone this year. Last year was fucking atrocious.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The staff knew our offense was weak and way more often than not put the team in a position to utilize those two strengths to win games.
Probably had a team meeting, "well, the defense is great and we have one hell of a punter. In order to win games, we need to keep our yards per carry down."

Reaction score
Probably had a team meeting, "well, the defense is great and we have one hell of a punter. In order to win games, we need to keep our yards per carry down."
No, just minimize mistake and turnovers. Opposing defenses and youth had a lot more to do with our inability to generate any consistent offensive output.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
No, just minimize mistake and turnovers. Opposing defenses and youth had a lot more to do with our inability to generate any consistent offensive output.
As much as I would enjoy coming up with creative new ways of calling you an idiot, you've absolutely convinced me that you have no point whatsoever.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
I’m not sure how anyone that has watched a decade of Iowa football could make this statement

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
I’m hoping the uncertainty at kicker will lead to Brian being more aggressive in the Red Zone this year. Last year was fucking atrocious.
It’s disgusting how many times we entered the red zone last year and still found ourselves in 3rd and long

Reaction score
Iowa was 12th in yards per play and 10th in turnovers per play. The point is that they didn't suck because they were too conservative.
They sucked because they weren’t very good offensively. I’m not making the argument they were overly conservative because they weren’t but I think they did a decent job of letting the defense and special teams win games. This isn’t a difficult concept to grasp

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Everyone who's quick to excuse Iowa's offensive totals by defending how slowly Iowa plays never seems to realize that that same argument applies to bad stats like turnovers too.
There's almost this idea with some contrarian know-it-all footbally types that Iowa's offense is like Virginia basketball, and people are simply complaining about style.

Iowa's offense isn't slow but efficient, it's bad by any metric. They don't score, they don't move the ball, they don't control the clock. It's The Criminal like.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Everyone who's quick to excuse Iowa's offensive totals by defending how slowly Iowa plays never seems to realize that that same argument applies to bad stats like turnovers too.
We were pretty low in offensive efficiency as well. Petras isn’t going to win games for you but we weren’t outstanding elsewhere except for maybe Goodson.