**Official Iowa vs. Wisconsin Football Thread - 11:00am - ESPN**

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Also frustrating, to watch that game and listen to them say multiple times how Ohio St changed their defensive coaches, scheme, and players to address early and obvious issues on that side of the ball. MIDSEASON. Now in no way am I expecting those kind of drastics from Iowa…but can't there be something in between that and Iowa's do nothing strategy? Try SOMETHING!
No, the most frustrating thing was watching quarterbacks throw decisively, and be able to move like a normal human being rather than Tucker from Something About Mary.

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Reaction score
The Iowa run game has basically been shit for a long long time.
This post is just stupid and this is the type of retarded Iowa fan stuff that comes out when Iowa loses. Objectively Iowa has had good running games in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2020. But dipshit Iowa fan declares it’s been shit forever.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
They were 6th in the conference and Goodson was 1st team all big ten. Both Goodson and Sargent averaged more than 5 yds per carry. That is a good running game.
I’d say that’s fairly average in todays game. We are just so used to being really bad at it.

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
This post is just stupid and this is the type of retarded Iowa fan stuff that comes out when Iowa loses. Objectively Iowa has had good running games in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2020. But dipshit Iowa fan declares it’s been shit forever.
LOL.

They have had some good running games. But at least I'm not the dipshit Iowa fan who actually thinks Petras is good or even decent. If you are going to have a shitty passing attack, your running game can't be "good". It needs to be Wisconsin level.

For fucks sake, the only decent program in the West is Wisconsin and we can't even beat them.

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Reaction score
LOL.

They have had some good running games. But at least I'm not the dipshit Iowa fan who actually thinks Petras is good or even decent. If you are going to have a shitty passing attack, your running game can't be "good". It needs to be Wisconsin level.

For fucks sake, the only decent program in the West is Wisconsin and we can't even beat them.
Who said Petras is good? What the fuck are you talking about?

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Who said Petras is good? What the fuck are you talking about?
If you have a shitty QB (which Iowa usually does or mediocre), you need a dominant rushing attack a la Wisconsin.

So, having a "good" running game isn't good enough if you want to win the West. Which isn't even a very good division in the first place.

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Justin Britt is the worst OL all time.
I feel like Britt has gotten worse. I seem to remember that he showed some potential his freshmen year. Whatever the case, they need to do something different with that OL. What happened to Schott? He wasn't great but at least solid.

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Reaction score
If you have a shitty QB (which Iowa usually does or mediocre), you need a dominant rushing attack a la Wisconsin.

So, having a "good" running game isn't good enough if you want to win the West. Which isn't even a very good division in the first place.
Who said Iowa has a good running game this year? They don’t, it’s bad. That doesn’t mean it’s been terrible for a long time as you stupidly posted.

BVHawk95

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
By no means am I defending Britt, but I'm wondering if having a human turnstile to his outside is affecting him as well. I watched DeJong get into a staring contest with an OLB in coverage while he let Britt get beat 1v1 in the B gap.

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Who said Iowa has a good running game this year? They don’t, it’s bad. That doesn’t mean it’s been terrible for a long time as you stupidly posted.
I meant to say it's been a long time since we have had a running game "good enough" to win the West. Good enough to compensate for the shitty passing attack.

When you build your offense the way Iowa does, you need a Wisconsin style run game.

kmurp

Can't get Jak out
Reaction score
In 2019, when Iowa had Alaric Jackson, Linderbaum, Wirfs, Sargent and Goodson, the team averaged less than 4 ypc, and no running back was over 5.
The guards were terrible that year I think.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Would finishing 6th in the Big Ten standings be good? Is slightly above average, but I’d like to hope Iowa could be better than that in its best years. Given the way we build our team, I’d think we’d hold the running game to a similar standard.

our scheme is stale and predictable with a low margin for error and high propensity for no gain or worse plays.

BluesHawk

Goes to Applebee’s for special occasions
Reaction score
Ken's just cashing $700k checks to create the worst 4 QBs in the country.
I'd like to see a listing of his actual job duties so we can go through them line by line and determine how much needs to be withheld from future paychecks.

Or maybe just cut him loose and use the cash to bribe some other program to take Brian Ferrentz off our hands.

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
Petras undoubtedly has a better arm than Padilla, but what is Iowa using it for? Is his average depth of target even beyond the 10 yard line?
You've gotta think that at least half the sacks Petras has taken wouldn't have been taken by Padilla. That should be worth a lot more than a strong arm and an extra couple of inches in height.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
I wish Kirk was just a little bit more concerned with letting his dipshit offspring tarnish his legacy

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
You've gotta think that at least half the sacks Petras has taken wouldn't have been taken by Padilla. That should be worth a lot more than a strong arm and an extra couple of inches in height.
At this point… I can’t believe there are more than 3 to 4 throws the entire season that Padilla and his midget arm couldn’t have made. We simply don’t fucking do it

so if you’re asking me if there are 3 to 4 plays that a quarterback with even an average level of mobility could’ve kept alive instead of taking a stupid fucking sack… Then the answer is without question, yes

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
Imagine being convinced that average is good

Reaction score
We don't run an offense where arm strength matters. At all. Our sieve o-line didn't block a defender because that's who they are, but instead of taking his 14th sack of the game, Padilla avoided the pressure, extended the play, and completed a 27 yard pass. I've seen enough. Start him.

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
We don't run an offense where arm strength matters. At all. Our sieve o-line didn't block a defender because that's who they are, but instead of taking his 14th sack of the game, Padilla avoided the pressure, extended the play, and completed a 27 yard pass. I've seen enough. Start him.
Yep.

Is this OL good? No, but that doesn't mean you can't generate any offense. The issue with Petras is he literally does not move in the pocket at all. He has no ability to escape a pass rush and keep his eyes downfield. Padilla can at least somewhat do that.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
Imagine being convinced that average is good
That’s what 20 years of O’Keefe, Davis and BF will do to a fan base.

Imagine what having an average QB and OL would feel like.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
If Kirk was a baseball manager he'd prefer Don Kessinger to Alex Rodriguez

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
Good night. Take a look at this, and note the records of the few teams ranked below Iowa. Holy hell

Fuck Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz. Fire him in to the sun.

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Reaction score
Strange hill to die on. If Iowa's scheme requires a future All Pro, the best center in the nation, and another pro tackle to be maybe above average, it's not working.
You can’t call ita good running game because they had good players is quite the argument. Gotta love Iowa fan

Rolo Tomassi

Listless Vessel
Reaction score
If I remember correctly (I was a bit overserved at that point) if he had waited like a millisecond longer he had Johnson for a first down.
And if I remember correctly, after Petras threw the ball away, Johnson just stood there dumbfounded and threw his arms in the air as if to say wtf.

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score