Officially Done With Ferentz Thread

Reaction score
Not a good time to replace a coaching staff with a nice recruiting class committed and a new coach/staff unable to meet recruits.

I didn't expect a great team. I'd hoped for better quarterbacking, and that's the depressing part. A good QB covers a multitude of sins and a bad one makes you look worse than you are.

Hawkeye_Pierce

May Have Fondled a Tranny
Reaction score
I'm also going to guess there will be a focus on looking at candidates of color when it happens.

Jerry Montgomery would seem to be a good option.
Yeah. I think when Kirk steps down, BF is no longer a slam dunk.

Fair and Balanced

Calls All Soda Coke
Reaction score
This is an abortion of a season. There was a chance it was going to be anyways with loosing some key players and adding a few new with lkmited playing time in key spots, along with off season bs and effed up off season schedule.

I'm not a fire BF guy, yet, but he has to change. See how the next six games go, then I may change my mind.
Don’t ever do that again.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
The main issue other than the recent turmoil is Kirk's age. I'm sure that is already something they are fighting in recruiting.
That won’t be an issue until he’s pooping his pants mid game like JoePa

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
The racial bias stuff is going to be more problematic than most of us want to admit. Every game, the announcing crew is going to spend 3-5 minutes rehashing the entire timeline. 95% of out of state recruits aren’t going to spend the time to investigate and determine that most of the bias claims were bull shit. The program, and by proxy Kirk, has been branded as racist. Given the current environment, Iowa becomes the easiest school in America to recruit against.
I hate to go this route...but the fact that pretty much every black player kneeled and only 3 white guys kneeled is an issue. For what this program has gone through over the last few months, I had really hoped to see more unity than that. It’s still black and white and I’m not sure how that perception changes under this staff. It really sucks because I’ll go to my grave believing that Kirk is a good and honest man. But it’s going to be tough to overcome these challenges. Both with the current guys and future recruits

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Listening to the WUW recap of the game (just Kluver and Ward), halfway through they get to the ISM arrest. Oh boy.

From the people they still talk to within the program, ISM has basically done whatever he's wanted since everything came out in June. The coaches are walking on egg shells coaching and don't really know how to discipline guys without something coming out so they've basically avoided it. Ward then said, 'I've seen the screen shots of the texts you get, a senior on that team needs to stand up in front of the team and tell them enough is enough.' They then talked about James Morris after losing to Wisconsin in 2013 standing in front of the team and said 'If I see any of you go out tonight, I will fucking kill you myself' and that there isn't a single person on the roster right now that is willing to do that because of all the shit that went down.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
Listening to the WUW recap of the game (just Kluver and Ward), halfway through they get to the ISM arrest. Oh boy.

From the people they still talk to within the program, ISM has basically done whatever he's wanted since everything came out in June. The coaches are walking on egg shells coaching and don't really know how to discipline guys without something coming out so they've basically avoided it. Ward then said, 'I've seen the screen shots of the texts you get, a senior on that team needs to stand up in front of the team and tell them enough is enough.' They then talked about James Morris after losing to Wisconsin in 2013 standing in front of the team and said 'If I see any of you go out tonight, I will fucking kill you myself' and that there isn't a single person on the roster right now that is willing to do that because of all the shit that went down.
Who could have seen this coming.

mac50702

SuperUrkel
Reaction score
James Daniels fucked this program. I understood what needed to happen, but this should have been handled behind closed doors with the former players and should have only been brought out if things didn't progress.

mac50702

SuperUrkel
Reaction score
I think Kirk will be fine if he wants to stay. He still has the pandemic to fallback on if this season is shitty. The team didn't have time to properly prepare, and limiting contact for safety reasons. But next year, he can go with"we did it your way and it sucks" reel it back in and get back to basics.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
0-2 start, one of the best players on the team with an obvious shit attitude culminating in a suspension from a DUI. One would hope that there will be some introspection and self policing from team leadership and understanding that discipline isn't racism but necessary. I'd hope whatever leadership councils Kirk implemented actually leads and assigns some sort of accountability to the players.

Brad Wesley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
It’s a tough situation for everybody.
I think Kirk will be fine if he wants to stay. He still has the pandemic to fallback on if this season is shitty. The team didn't have time to properly prepare, and limiting contact for safety reasons. But next year, he can go with"we did it your way and it sucks" reel it back in and get back to basics.
Nobody here will want Kirk fired, even if he doesn’t win a game this year.

My concern is how does the program recruit and develop (in a manner that has been successful but now militaristic/racist) when they’ve been branded as racist?

Kirk has earned the right to stay as long as he wants. I just don’t see the program moving past the racial stuff until he is gone.

CamelTones

Reaction score
0-2 start, one of the best players on the team with an obvious shit attitude culminating in a suspension from a DUI. One would hope that there will be some introspection and self policing from team leadership and understanding that discipline isn't racism but necessary. I'd hope whatever leadership councils Kirk implemented actually leads and assigns some sort of accountability to the players.
Kluver said in a way he was happy someone got arrested, he just wished it was a different arrest. His point was he hopes it’s a wake up call to all those guys, especially after the 0-2 start.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
There's obviously got to be a balance here. You don't need to tell 18 year old black kids they can't listen to rap music or wear hoodies in order to create some weird faux military "discipline", but a coach yelling at you when you fuck up isn't abusive bullying.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Kirk should have the ammo he needs today to walk back in front of his team and tell them fuck around time is over.

It isn't like you can control anything they say one way or another, so at least go out on your shield.

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
I find it hard to blame the off-season turmoil for the 0-2 start when we have been losing winnable games in that exact fashion for years now.
Aren't we coming off the 5 winningest years in program history?

Silky Johnson

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Yeah I think it’s obviously very possible it’s hurting them, but it’s not like losing stupid games this way is new.

CamelTones

Reaction score
I find it hard to blame the off-season turmoil for the 0-2 start when we have been losing winnable games in that exact fashion for years now.
I don’t think anyone is blaming the 0-2 start on that. They are blaming it on one of the best players, and a senior, driving 74 mph in a 30 mph zone while hammered after a loss 1 week after he had his head up his ass the entire game against Purdue. A game in which he contributed next to nothing but bitching.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
Tougher when we have the best skill position players we've had in years. It's a lot of different things snowballing but to hear the WUW say players are acting like assholes with no repercussions, the results on and off the field can be seen as pretty telling. A heralded senior all American was out partying and making terrible decisions after starting the season 0-2.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Tougher when we have the best skill position players we've had in years. It's a lot of different things snowballing but to hear the WUW say players are acting like assholes with no repercussions, the results on and off the field can be seen as pretty telling. A heralded senior all American was out partying and making terrible decisions after starting the season 0-2.
I personally don’t put much stock into what those guys say, either. As I consider them to be assholes themselves. Unique perspective, I suppose, but they also seemingly have an axe to grind.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
You don't see the difference between our receivers and running backs this year compared to years prior? Are you retarded, dad?
They look different but are making about the same number of plays.

FrodoTBaggin

Reaction score
I personally don’t put much stock into what those guys say, either. As I consider them to be assholes themselves. Unique perspective, I suppose, but they also seemingly have an axe to grind.
Their axe is the same as everyone else's who saw all of this bullshit for exactly what it was.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Lol no. Kluvers brother is on the team and still talks to some of his former teammates that are on the team. There is no axe they’re trying to grind.

The Dad

Reaction score
6’4, chiseled and not one fucking bit interested in laying out for a deep ball that’s 2 feet overthrown.

Revolver

Reaction score
Feels like the Northwestern game was pretty standard fuck around and get beat. All those penalties week one felt like a different kind of butt fucking.
The Northwestern loss was one we have seen many times over the years. Including many times to Northwestern in particular over the years.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Feels like the Northwestern game was pretty standard fuck around and get beat. All those penalties week one felt like a different kind of butt fucking.
I agree. The Northwestern game just felt like they were playing shitty. The Purdue game was worse.

The Dad

Reaction score
LaPorta is so good!!!

Yeah, it was a spastic piss rocket, but you got two hands on it so catch the fucking ball.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I don't think Iowa fans have overvalued Iowa's WRs, but I do think they've overvalued the idea of depth at WR.

Maybe if Iowa was spreading it out and throwing downfield often, but with what Iowa is doing, I don't really care that Tracy is the most dangerous 4th receiver in Iowa history.

If the options were Marvin Mcnutt, DJK with Doug Bader, or the current group with the current offense, I'm taking the group with two great ones and a turd over the group with a bunch of above average guys.

Revolver

Reaction score
Lol no. Kluvers brother is on the team and still talks to some of his former teammates that are on the team. There is no axe they’re trying to grind.
I will never put any stock into what the WUW guys have to say for right or wrong because I consider them to be insufferable douchebags. I’m stuck in my ways.

Revolver

Reaction score
Makes sense, probably best to rely on the likes of Rob Howe, Pat Harty, and Jon Miller for Iowa football information.
Also, I don’t think you realize that I have probably the most anti-Iowa beat writer stance on this entire board. So this is a weird way to reply to my comment.