Officially Done With Ferentz Thread

Brad Wesley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Also, I don’t think you realize that I have probably the most anti-Iowa beat writer stance on this entire board. So this is a weird way to reply to my comment.
What’s weird is completely disregarding the insights from people who have inside info.

Kluver and Ward can be douchebags and offer legitimate insights into the program.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
There’s two guys the last 10 years that make that play.
So in 6 of those 10 years we had a guy who could do that. And about the same in the decade before with Russell and Greene.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
What’s weird is completely disregarding the insights from people who have inside info.

Kluver and Ward can be douchebags and offer legitimate insights into the program.
I conceded that they have a unique perspective, but I think they have clearly shown they have an axe to grind. And I think the idea that the changes or new hands off style of discipline may have played into a player getting drunk and pulled over for an OWI is ridiculous. If Iowa is 2-0 and the ISM arrest happens, you aren’t hearing that same line of thought IMO. Shit happens. It always does and always will. I think trying to blame that incident on what occurred over the summer is ridiculous.

coff

Busker
Reaction score
I usually would say yes to that, but after seeing the ISM arrest today, they are heading towards needing a complete reset.

If the discipline on the team is falling off because the current coaches have lost control, which I would bet they are on the verge of, then it would make sense to bring in an entirely new staff.
Well, there is certainly a problem. I think this all stems from the recent racial issues. Looks like the coaches are now in a position where they cannot impose any discipline without being subject to claims of racism. Well done.

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Reaction score
So in 6 of those 10 years we had a guy who could do that. And about the same in the decade before with Russell and Greene.
Not really, Goodson was more college ready than Wadley who needed a couple of years. More like 3 of the last 10.

coff

Busker
Reaction score
Kirk should have the ammo he needs today to walk back in front of his team and tell them fuck around time is over.

It isn't like you can control anything they say one way or another, so at least go out on your shield.
Hope you're right, but I am very skeptical that this can happen at this point.

coff

Busker
Reaction score
Feels like the Northwestern game was pretty standard fuck around and get beat. All those penalties week one felt like a different kind of butt fucking.
I was watching with a buddy, and when Kirk decided to kick the FG when up 14-0 inside the 5, I said, "Kirk thinks that 17 points will win this game". I have seen this movie before.

The Dad

Reaction score
Not really, Goodson was more college ready than Wadley who needed a couple of years. More like 3 of the last 10.
Now you’re just being a jackass.

So Goodson couldn’t make that play last year?

Or Wadley only played 1 year? Looks like he had 80+ carries his sophomore year.

Either way, unheard of levels of talent.

Make some fucking plays.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
James Daniels fucked this program. I understood what needed to happen, but this should have been handled behind closed doors with the former players and should have only been brought out if things didn't progress.
I thought that is what had been happening. Things were brought up within the program, some sort of leadership group or something was put together, and then the Daniels stuff came out.

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
Iowa’s receivers are good, but people are definitely overrating them because of the shit we’ve seen at that position the last 10 years. Iowa’s receiver group probably isn’t even in the top 5 of the I am a giant douche.

The Dad

Reaction score
Iowa’s receivers are good, but people are definitely overrating them because of the shit we’ve seen at that position the last 10 years. Iowa’s receiver group probably isn’t even in the top 5 of the I am a giant douche.
You’re obviously blind.

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Reaction score
Now you’re just being a jackass.

So Goodson couldn’t make that play last year?

Or Wadley only played 1 year? Looks like he had 80+ carries his sophomore year.

Either way, unheard of levels of talent.

Make some fucking plays.
2010-2019 are the 10 prior seasons. I’ll stand by 3.

Hawkeye_Pierce

May Have Fondled a Tranny
Reaction score
Anyone seriously wanting Kirk gone is an idiot.
I definitely don't but therein lies the problem. If you don't think Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz is a good OC, then you're kind of stuck because he's not going anywhere with Kirk still at the helm. Apart from clock management, if there's one legitimate criticism of Kirk, it's that he's slow to make necessary changes.

coff

Busker
Reaction score
I definitely don't but therein lies the problem. If you don't think Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz is a good OC, then you're kind of stuck because he's not going anywhere with Kirk still at the helm. Apart from clock management, if there's one legitimate criticism of Kirk, it's that he's slow to make necessary changes.
Well, I am in the camp that says its time for a change. I think Kirk Ferentz is probably one of the best citizens and representatives of the University of Iowa that we have ever had. I also think he has been a very solid head football coach. I simply think times have changed, and that we need to move on before we descend into a really bad situation. I don't want him fired, but I think a decision to walk away at the end of this year, with Brian, would be good for the program.

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
Brian was pretty good his first season, but I’m starting to think that might have had something to do with having two first round draft picks at TE for the first time in the history of college football. He has been shitty since with pretty good talent on offense. Hopefully they are able to get things turned around, because I would like to see Kirk and Brian hang around for at least a few more years - but averaging 20 ppg in conference play over the last year+ isn’t going to get it done.

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
We are 41 games into Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz's tenure as offensive coordinator. In that time, Iowa has been held to 20 points or less in exactly as many games (16) as it has scored 30 points or more.

The Dad

Reaction score
We are 41 games into Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz's tenure as offensive coordinator. In that time, Iowa has been held to 20 points or less in exactly as many games (16) as it has scored 30 points or more.
Through the first 41 games of Greg fucking Davis we were held to 20 or less 14 times compared to scoring 30 or more 13 times.

Hawkeye_Pierce

May Have Fondled a Tranny
Reaction score
How many different OCs does it take before we realize that it’s most likely a Kirk problem?
Regardless of personnel, Iowa tries to run the same offensive and defensive schemes that they've been using for 20+ years. Sometimes it works and sometimes it looks like a monkey trying to fuck a door knob.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
And to head off the predictable response - yes, low scoring isn't necessarily a problem if you're scoring low because you play super slowly. Iowa would rank favorably in a similar analysis of their defense.

Low scoring is a problem when it's happening because you can't execute, and we've watched way too much of that. Iowa's not getting stuffed on 3rd and short runs because they have a conservative playcalling philosophy. Petras threw 50 fucking times for 215 yards. That's not a conservative philosophy, that's shitty offense.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Lets not pretend NW was exactly fooling Iowa either. Kirk has gone against Pat 15 times now, they both pretty much know what the other one is trying to run.

It's the other games that are a problem.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I’ve read some dumb articles but holy fuck.

thrawn

Reaction score
Would Raih want to jump to be a college OC? With the success AZ is having he might get a shot at an NFL OC job soon.

I would love to see him in IC in any capacity.

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score
It'll never happen but I've really liked what Matt Canada has done with the Steelers offense as their quarterbacks coach. He never lasts long places though so I do wonder if there's an issue with him.

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score
Another candidate for life post-Kirk: Josh Heupel. Might see how this year plays out, but he fits the profile to an extent. Sure Frost has been no good but that’s not his fault.
  • South Dakota native
  • Coached under Stoops
  • Offensive coach with a top 5 offense
  • Two 10 win seasons at UCF
  • 42 years old
  • Was given “complete control” of offense at Missouri and led the SEC in ypg his final season there

Last edited: