Officially Done With Ferentz Thread

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
My initial I’m ready for a change! game was Michigan 2001. Prolly had 4 or 5 since.
Mine wasn't so much for change of getting rid of Ferentz in 2014 as that was clearly never going to happen, but was despondent that Kirk had seemed to mail it in as far as his staff and roster in general.

He was about to turn 60 years old and in response to a disappointing 2010 and 2011 seasons he made the laziest hire in the history of college football by making Greg Davis his offensive coordinator and having an absolutely miserable 2012. Pretty much whole staff had this feeling of a cast off pile of garbage coaches. Greg Davis, Chris White, Bobby Kennedy, Kirk's kid, etc....

Then watching games in 2014 and seeing that while Rudock was serviceable, there was a long haired gun slinging stud that was a whole lot better and the team clearly responded different to. Pissing away the Iowa State game with horrible play calling. Pissing away the Maryland game by throwing the ball 30+ times in the 4th quarter. The weird 50 point shlacking by Minnesota. Pissing away the Wisconsin game and ending the season with the atrocity of giving Nebrantska an overtime win after they begged for us to beat them. Cap it all off with the embarrassment in the Gator Bowl.

Thankfully a lot of pressure was put on Ferentz by Casey Beathard and even Barta. They demanded he make changes on the field, changes to his staff and held that unusual and unprecedented press conference in January.

I ultimately think that Kirk had gotten way too comfortable and even unmotivated and 2014 woke him up in a huge way that led to the run that is still going on now.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Mine wasn't so much for change of getting rid of Ferentz in 2014 as that was clearly never going to happen, but was despondent that Kirk had seemed to mail it in as far as his staff and roster in general.

He was about to turn 60 years old and in response to a disappointing 2010 and 2011 seasons he made the laziest hire in the history of college football by making Greg Davis his offensive coordinator and having an absolutely miserable 2012. Pretty much whole staff had this feeling of a cast off pile of garbage coaches. Greg Davis, Chris White, Bobby Kennedy, Kirk's kid, etc....

Then watching games in 2014 and seeing that while Rudock was serviceable, there was a long haired gun slinging stud that was a whole lot better and the team clearly responded different to. Pissing away the Iowa State game with horrible play calling. Pissing away the Maryland game by throwing the ball 30+ times in the 4th quarter. The weird 50 point shlacking by Minnesota. Pissing away the Wisconsin game and ending the season with the atrocity of giving Nebrantska an overtime win after they begged for us to beat them. Cap it all off with the embarrassment in the Gator Bowl.

Thankfully a lot of pressure was put on Ferentz by Casey Beathard and even Barta. They demanded he make changes on the field, changes to his staff and held that unusual and unprecedented press conference in January.

I ultimately think that Kirk had gotten way too comfortable and even unmotivated and 2014 woke him up in a huge way that led to the run that is still going on now.
The entire football operation is night/day better than in 2014. The staff is waaayyy better. The support/video people are better.
Shit even the band is better.

fossilhawk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
2014, in retrospect, was probably KF's 1998.

Hayden didn't have his heart in coaching during his prostate cancer treatment that year, and it showed on the field.

KF lost his (first?) grandchild right before the season started in 14, and he was, in retrospect, pretty clearly a mess that entire season. (I think Morehouse talked once about how the press corps all knew about what was going on behind the scenes that year, but didn't publicize it out of respect for him and Brian, which, good for them.)

That off-season pretty clearly got him out of the black hole of grief, though, and it seems like ever since he's coached with just a touch more fire and attitude. Pre-2015 Ferentz would never have taken those time outs at MN and then rubbed it into Fleck's face like he did, for example.

douglasbader

Reaction score
The more I think about Doyle, the more I realize that some jackoff bald fuck meathead S&C coach nearly single handily brought down the entire Iowa program by himself not once, but twice.

He got so pissed off at the players he was entrusted to guide and make better that he sent a dozen of them to the hospital and put a giant stain on Kirk's reputation. In response, like the good and loyal person Ferentz is, he stuck by Doyle and even gave him an award the following year.

How was Kirk's loyalty and trust rewarded? By Doyle being a complete prick and saying stupid shit to the point where he gave ammo to a bunch of idiot players and their parents to not only soil Kirk but his entire program and family.

Iowa has been better in every way the second Doyle was sent packing. Good riddance.

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
Since 2015(including the 6 games this year) here’s where Iowa ranks in winning % among P5 teams(Fuck Boise and App St)

Alabama
Clemson
Ohio St
Oklahoma
Georgia
Notre Dame
LSU
Iowa
Wisconsin
Penn St

That’s right there with Hayden 1982-1987

Yes, we could break down the negatives too but I’m keeping it positive on this fine Wednesday morning.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
Since 2015(including the 6 games this year) here’s where Iowa ranks in winning % among P5 teams(Fuck Boise and App St)

Alabama
Clemson
Ohio St
Oklahoma
Georgia
Notre Dame
LSU
Iowa
Wisconsin
Penn St

Yes, we could break down the negatives too but I’m keeping it positive on this fine Wednesday morning.
Yeah but that’s because of the schedule

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
The more I think about Doyle, the more I realize that some jackoff bald fuck meathead S&C coach nearly single handily brought down the entire Iowa program by himself not once, but twice.

He got so pissed off at the players he was entrusted to guide and make better that he sent a dozen of them to the hospital and put a giant stain on Kirk's reputation. In response, like the good and loyal person Ferentz is, he stuck by Doyle and even gave him an award the following year.

How was Kirk's loyalty and trust rewarded? By Doyle being a complete prick and saying stupid shit to the point where he gave ammo to a bunch of idiot players and their parents to not only soil Kirk but his entire program and family.

Iowa has been better in every way the second Doyle was sent packing. Good riddance.
just elated Dillon isn’t stealing snaps from Jestin Jacobs and you absolutely fucking know he would be. for that reason alone, I’m thrilled he’s gone, and the fears about what it would do to the program’s mentality and toughness appear to be completely unfounded. just a complete and total positive that he was made to GTFO

douglasbader

Reaction score
just elated Dillon isn’t stealing snaps from Jestin Jacobs and you absolutely fucking know he would be. for that reason alone, I’m thrilled he’s gone, and the fears about what it would do to the program’s mentality and toughness appear to be completely unfounded. just a complete and total positive that he was made to GTFO
It's weird. Almost like demanding accountability through love and respect works even better than demanding accountability through fear and intimidation.

Orestes

Invisible
Reaction score
It's weird. Almost like demanding accountability through love and respect works even better than demanding accountability through fear and intimidation.
and the freedom to be genuine builds confidence in people
It's funny, but these were absolutely not the sentiments held by most/many in the summer of 2020. I'm glad time has shown them to be true.

fossilhawk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
In retrospect, and this is a HOT TAEK for which I will happily accept roasting/sculpture park bukkake, I don't think it's unfair to wonder if Doyle was/became a net negative to the program and if Raimond Braithwaite had more responsibility for the success of the program than we know.

Consider that Braithwaite was hired by the program in early 2002 and left in late 2004. (Iowa went 32-7 in that span.)

Consider that, in Braithwaite's absence, Iowa ran off three more progressively disappointing seasons; 8-5, 7-6, 6-6, for a total record of 21-17.

Consider that Braithwaite came back for the 2008 season, in which Iowa started out 5-4 and then went 15-2 over the next season and a third.

Consider that, since Doyle left, Iowa is 12-2 and appears to have far better team chemistry than they have in some time, perhaps ever, and seem to give players a rather longer leash in terms of structure and internal discipline.

Correlation doesn't imply causation, and I'm not saying that Doyle shouldn't still get a substantial amount of credit for helping build the Iowa program into what it is now. But there's a not-insignificant amount of correlation there.

Harlan

Drinks liquor with a straw
Reaction score
In retrospect, and this is a HOT TAEK for which I will happily accept roasting/sculpture park bukkake, I don't think it's unfair to wonder if Doyle was/became a net negative to the program and if Raimond Braithwaite had more responsibility for the success of the program than we know.

Consider that Braithwaite was hired by the program in early 2002 and left in late 2004. (Iowa went 32-7 in that span.)

Consider that, in Braithwaite's absence, Iowa ran off three more progressively disappointing seasons; 8-5, 7-6, 6-6, for a total record of 21-17.

Consider that Braithwaite came back for the 2008 season, in which Iowa started out 5-4 and then went 15-2 over the next season and a third.

Consider that, since Doyle left, Iowa is 12-2 and appears to have far better team chemistry than they have in some time, perhaps ever, and seem to give players a rather longer leash in terms of structure and internal discipline.

Correlation doesn't imply causation, and I'm not saying that Doyle shouldn't still get a substantial amount of credit for helping build the Iowa program into what it is now. But there's a not-insignificant amount of correlation there.
It's too early to do that much considering.

MisterFalcon

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score

Not only is this a thoughtful breakdown, but it comes with a nice little unprompted offer as well.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score

Alabama
Clemson
Ohio St
Oklahoma
Georgia
Notre Dame
LSU
Iowa
Wisconsin
Penn St

If I’m reading this correctly, it means that Iowa is going to the playoff this year since all teams ahead of them have already been there.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
Some fairly respectable posters were pretty WATT for sure (note I do not put Heavens in the respectable category).

By revenue, we're arguably a notch above those programs.

A guy like Art Briles would be my dream (fondness of Texans with panache attributable to Hayden), but regardless of whether that's realistic we've definitely got the resources to aim high so long as it isn't significantly burned down first.

Yes, hiring the wrong guy can burn it down fast, but keeping a guy who's become wrong for too long can burn it down too.
Fuck that shit. kF has proven to be a dumbfuck even with Norm and Ken. He has always been overrated because for some reason, Iowa fans think anyone gives a shit if their coach is a swell guy.
When Kirk is all done squeezing the last drop of cash and enthusiasm out of the program, I want the whole thing Ferentz-disinfected.
So instead of talking or typing out any response again on Iowa football, at least until this shit attempt at a coaching staff is run out the door - or mercifully fades away in half a decade - I'll just link that article. It perfectly summarizes the ineptness that is Iowa football since the 2006 season (minus 1 season that has proven to be a total outlier, BFD).

Fortunately we play in such a disgrace of a conference that is a complete shell of its former self, that on paper we still look like a half way decent program, when in reality we just suck and benefit from playing a bunch of other shit programs.

Burn it down. All of it.
CJ Beatherd is fools gold.
I understand the point, Doug, but this isn't Luther or Simpson. He's the head coach of a Power 5 conference team making a fuck load of money. That he's a good guy is great, but there is a cost to his perpetual dumbfuckery.

I respect the opinion that his benefit outweighs his cost, but I'm not there anymore. He's Licklitering the football program.
Doug and L. Wade were the voice of reason, RATT.

Call me a loser, I don't fucking care, but I still like Ferentz overall. Even though it is basically a business, I really do think Iowa gives a shit about a whole lot more than winning and losing. The Big Ten as a whole still feels somewhat like College and not like a charter school for the NFL.

In the end, he wins more than he loses and runs a clean program and does a lot of good in the community. Maybe I am getting old, but that is enough for me even if he acts like a stubborn dumbfuck during games.
This is what I am talking about. Iowa Football isn't anywhere close to "Licklitered" and what fucking "cost" has Ferentz caused?

You are talking about a program that won 8 games a year ago, and despite the understandable disappointment of yesterday, there is still a great shot at a successful season this year. He had one truly shit season of 4-8 and the rest have been acceptable to very good.

This is a complete overreaction to a shitty loss.
There's nothing wrong with Phil Parker.
Lol at the extreme over-reaction from nearly everyone.

Harlan

Reaction score
By revenue, we're arguably a notch above those programs.

A guy like Art Briles would be my dream (fondness of Texans with panache attributable to Hayden), but regardless of whether that's realistic we've definitely got the resources to aim high so long as it isn't significantly burned down first.

Yes, hiring the wrong guy can burn it down fast, but keeping a guy who's become wrong for too long can burn it down too.

Reaction score
Another not insignificant thing is that at the time this thread was posted KF was 7 and fucking 9 versus Iowa State, including losses in three of the last four. They have not lost since, he is now 13-9 against them, and might actually finish his career with a winning record vs. ISU.*

*- i don't want to jinx it. I have horrific ISU loss PTSD and major trust issues even after six straight wins.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
RATT (based on publicly available information)!

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
I've said the same. Get the best offensive coach you can find. Everything about the game favors the offense & will continue to do so. If you can't consistently score 35-40pts you just aren't going to be very successful.
If it is either of those two I'd rather they just shut that fucker down, rent out Kinnick for fall weddings and such.
I'm a Hawkeye Fan first, that won't change ever, but fuck today was disappointing. I remember the end of the fry era being bad but never feeling like they were falling behind in such a great manner as I do right now. The Grand Canyon sized difference between the talent level watching Ohio State undress Oregon and watching the Hawks get undressed by Tennessee really hurt the ol Hawkeye heart in this guy in a way that has never happened before.

Seeing the way that KF was so fucking nonchalant today about the state of the program really tarnished his image in a way I never thought would happen. The reminder of how great things used to be does not help, but is just another reminder of how far things have fallen off. He acts oblivious to the possibility, which is the worst thing about the whole deal. He is going to die on his hill- fuck him for making the fans suffer through it.
Lol at you fucking guys. If Iowa is 10-2 next year with a loss to Pitt and then a loss in conference to play in the Big Ten Championship, you will all be really fucking happy. It doesn't even have to be 12-0.

There are even 9-3 scenarios going to the Big Ten Championship where people would be more than happy.
RATT
I would like to go on the record and state I am willing to keep Ferentz if he goes 12-0 next year.
Noted. Buffett on the record, prior to it happening.
I'd be happy as shit. I'd be ecstatic. But if, by some fluke, Iowa does manage to go 12-0, that doesn't mean I'd return to the Ferentz camp. I just believe that at this stage of his career, he is not good for the Iowa football program, period, one great season in 2015 notwithstanding.

At any rate, this whole discussion is pointless, 'cause there's no way in hell Iowa goes 12-0 in 2015, especially not with Ferentz as head coach, and everyone on this board knows it.
Still not onboard, even with going 12-0. The last sentence doesn't hold up very well.

One more time, this man and his dad saved the program.

Harlan

Reaction score
*Beathard
I've said the same. Get the best offensive coach you can find. Everything about the game favors the offense & will continue to do so. If you can't consistently score 35-40pts you just aren't going to be very successful.

I'd be happy as shit. I'd be ecstatic. But if, by some fluke, Iowa does manage to go 12-0, that doesn't mean I'd return to the Ferentz camp. I just believe that at this stage of his career, he is not good for the Iowa football program, period, one great season in 2015 notwithstanding.

At any rate, this whole discussion is pointless, 'cause there's no way in hell Iowa goes 12-0 in 2015, especially not with Ferentz as head coach, and everyone on this board knows it.