*Omnibus 2020-2021 College Basketball Thread*

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
And those who took Ohio St +6 loved that three pointer.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Was he not supposed to be there?
In reading on it, most media members were not allowed on the Court. Security assumed that included this guy (the team videographer) But this guy had a different pass to be allowed on the Court/Courtside. Was straightened out after the fact, but that's a horrible picture for the security company.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
In reading on it, most media members were not allowed on the Court. Security assumed that included this guy (the team videographer) But this guy had a different pass to be allowed on the Court/Courtside. Was straightened out after the fact, but that's a horrible picture for the security company.
Was it Per Mar?

thrawn

Reaction score
Is Indiana really a top 5 job? They have three B10 titles and one elite 8 in the last 25 years.

It is a good job but proximity to hardworking white jump shooters alone doesn’t make it a top job. They have made some pretty significant hires so it’s not like you can blame that.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Is Indiana really a top 5 job? They have three B10 titles and one elite 8 in the last 25 years.

It is a good job but proximity to hardworking white jump shooters alone doesn’t make it a top job.
Is the ability to access donors with enough money to write a $10M check to buy out a coach a positive or negative?

ivan_drago

Reaction score

It is a good job but proximity to hardworking white jump shooters alone doesn’t make it a top job. They have made some pretty significant hires so it’s not like you can blame that.
Absolutely - for the deep pocket boosters alone.

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

It's still a brand.

Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin -- I'd argue that those are the top B10 programs for national name recognition over the last 20+ years. Now, much of Indiana's name recognition comes from Bob Knight, and got rekindled by the good Crean teams, but it's still riding off 30 years of reputation that arguably ended a while ago. Maryland should have a better rep than it does, and I think that the move from the ACC caused some "identity loss." As much as I hate the vadgers, the legacy from Dick Bennett to now is strong.

Indiana will continue to have a higher national profile than the results would merit through this decade. It's Indiana. They have the banners. Like UCLA, they'll always have their history.

Now, that will make it all the more satisfying when they hire some guy who brings more of the Miller same, and slowly turns the palace into a dump.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
It's still a brand.

Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin -- I'd argue that those are the top B10 programs for national name recognition over the last 20+ years. Now, much of Indiana's name recognition comes from Bob Knight, and got rekindled by the good Crean teams, but it's still riding off 30 years of reputation that arguably ended a while ago. Maryland should have a better rep than it does, and I think that the move from the ACC caused some "identity loss." As much as I hate the vadgers, the legacy from Dick Bennett to now is strong.

Indiana will continue to have a higher national profile than the results would merit through this decade. It's Indiana. They have the banners. Like UCLA, they'll always have their history.

Now, that will make it all the more satisfying when they hire some guy who brings more of the Miller same, and slowly turns the palace into a dump.
A big part of the Wisconsin brand is playing a shitty player-unfriendly style if basketball. God bless Tyler Herro.

Reaction score
Richard Pitino out at Minnesota as expected. Reportedly him or Tim Miles at New Mexico.

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score
It's still a brand.

I’d put Ohio State in 3rd behind the Michigan schools.

iowa4ever20

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Agree with OSU. Also, Illinois hasn’t been relevant nationally since 2005 until the last two years.

Silky Johnson

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I’m curious to see how Minnesota at Illinois goes tonight. Illinois obviously has the potential to be really good but has only shown it in spurts so far.

Meanwhile, little Richard likely needs at least a decent season to save his job. My gut wants to say he’ll be sent packing, but Carr is tough (and kind of a spaz) and Robbins looks pretty solid so far against lesser competition.

Illinois got much stronger than I thought they would but the little rat is gone.

thrawn

Reaction score
Glad they are going external. I thought they’d go easy and promote Patty.

appears his last coaching gig was at Furman, where he was replaced by Niko Medved

Last edited:

ivan_drago

Reaction score
LOL. Fuck them. No one gives a flying fuck about that.

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Note to self: never read, let alone buy, USA Today.