Smart turns down Illinois

Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
28,581
Reaction score
-6,048
Didn't he say as much almost immediately? Iowa fans got excited about the possibility of Howard coming with him, Butler fans assured us that Stevens was his guy and Howard then re-affirmed his commitment.

That's how I remembered it at least but I could be wrong.
The Criminal immediately said that those players (Howard's class) made a commitment to Butler and they should stick with it and he made no attempt to bring any of them with him.
That son of a bitch.

Todd The Criminal was a fucking criminal.
And he remains a free man. The system failed Iowa fans.
 

foxhawks

Doesn't wash his butthole last
Joined
Apr 28, 2011
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
-17,987
Didn't he say as much almost immediately? Iowa fans got excited about the possibility of Howard coming with him, Butler fans assured us that Stevens was his guy and Howard then re-affirmed his commitment.

That's how I remembered it at least but I could be wrong.
The Criminal immediately said that those players (Howard's class) made a commitment to Butler and they should stick with it and he made no attempt to bring any of them with him.
That son of a bitch.

Todd The Criminal was a fucking criminal.
The Criminal was just stupid. Alford was the criminal. While The Criminal was doing all he could to get the Butler recruits to stay at Butler, Alford was doing all he could to get Iowa recruits to go to New Mexico...Iowa Basketball = Ass Raped.
 

Will McCoy

Douchebag
Joined
Aug 27, 2011
Messages
5,695
Reaction score
-242
How do you know Howard never considered following Lick to Iowa?
Didn't he say as much almost immediately? Iowa fans got excited about the possibility of Howard coming with him, Butler fans assured us that Stevens was his guy and Howard then re-affirmed his commitment.

That's how I remembered it at least but I could be wrong.
I remember this or something very similar.
 

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,659
Reaction score
-14,383
How do you know Howard never considered following Lick to Iowa?
Didn't he say as much almost immediately? Iowa fans got excited about the possibility of Howard coming with him, Butler fans assured us that Stevens was his guy and Howard then re-affirmed his commitment.

That's how I remembered it at least but I could be wrong.
I remember this or something very similar.
Didn't Lick say something like "those guys committed to play at Butler and I wish them the best of luck there" ? or something similar?
 

Debit One

Chad
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
33,471
Reaction score
23,292
My knowledge of Groce consists entirely of watching him during the recent Ohio - UNC game. He spent the entire game doing this:







Fran McCaffrey has lost the title of Big Ten's Most Demonstrative Coach.
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,388
Reaction score
52,355
B & B are just ripping this guy after his press conference. He sounded exactly like Todd.

One of the writers asked him what kind of player he would like to recruit at Illinois. His answer was "First and foremost, I want guys who are going to come in and plan on getting a four year degree."

LOL. What a terrible fit.
 
Joined
Jul 15, 2009
Messages
26,116
Reaction score
-37,468
The Criminal immediately said that those players (Howard's class) made a commitment to Butler and they should stick with it and he made no attempt to bring any of them with him.
That son of a bitch.

Todd The Criminal was a fucking criminal.
The Criminal was just stupid. Alford was the criminal. While The Criminal was doing all he could to get the Butler recruits to stay at Butler, Alford was doing all he could to get Iowa recruits to go to New Mexico...Iowa Basketball = Ass Raped.
Alford was in over his head, especially at first as a young coach with far too little experience for such a job, but he at least tried. The Criminal was deliberately negligent. One of the 4812 lawyers on this board really needs to push for criminal charges.
 

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Joined
Nov 13, 2007
Messages
13,487
Reaction score
-2,120
The Criminal immediately said that those players (Howard's class) made a commitment to Butler and they should stick with it and he made no attempt to bring any of them with him.
That son of a bitch.

Todd The Criminal was a fucking criminal.
The Criminal was just stupid. Alford was the criminal. While The Criminal was doing all he could to get the Butler recruits to stay at Butler, Alford was doing all he could to get Iowa recruits to go to New Mexico...Iowa Basketball = Ass Raped.
At the time The Criminal left Butler I'm pretty sure Howard had already signed a letter of intent so The Criminal couldn't recruit him to Iowa until he received a release from his letter of intent. I don't remember any Iowa recruits getting a release to go to New Mexico.
 

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Joined
Nov 13, 2007
Messages
13,487
Reaction score
-2,120
How do you know Howard never considered following Lick to Iowa?
Didn't he say as much almost immediately? Iowa fans got excited about the possibility of Howard coming with him, Butler fans assured us that Stevens was his guy and Howard then re-affirmed his commitment.

That's how I remembered it at least but I could be wrong.
Here an article saying the 3 recruits got on a call together and decided they were going to stay with Butler. I don't think it was automatic that Howard was going to stay at Butler.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/29449/butlers-seniors-get-second-shot-at-history
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,412
Reaction score
1,553
That son of a bitch.

Todd The Criminal was a fucking criminal.
The Criminal was just stupid. Alford was the criminal. While The Criminal was doing all he could to get the Butler recruits to stay at Butler, Alford was doing all he could to get Iowa recruits to go to New Mexico...Iowa Basketball = Ass Raped.
At the time The Criminal left Butler I'm pretty sure Howard had already signed a letter of intent so The Criminal couldn't recruit him to Iowa until he received a release from his letter of intent. I don't remember any Iowa recruits getting a release to go to New Mexico.
dairese gary ended up being a pretty good player.
 

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Joined
Nov 13, 2007
Messages
13,487
Reaction score
-2,120
The Criminal was just stupid. Alford was the criminal. While The Criminal was doing all he could to get the Butler recruits to stay at Butler, Alford was doing all he could to get Iowa recruits to go to New Mexico...Iowa Basketball = Ass Raped.
At the time The Criminal left Butler I'm pretty sure Howard had already signed a letter of intent so The Criminal couldn't recruit him to Iowa until he received a release from his letter of intent. I don't remember any Iowa recruits getting a release to go to New Mexico.
dairese gary ended up being a pretty good player.
Did he sign a letter of intent to play at Iowa?
 

Hawkeye_Pierce

May Have Fondled a Tranny
Joined
Mar 5, 2010
Messages
12,331
Reaction score
1,118
B & B are just ripping this guy after his press conference. He sounded exactly like Todd.

One of the writers asked him what kind of player he would like to recruit at Illinois. His answer was "First and foremost, I want guys who are going to come in and plan on getting a four year degree."

LOL. What a terrible fit.
Dammit. I wish I could hear what they're saying. I'll have to catch them in the car.
 

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
74,290
Reaction score
17,814
B & B are just ripping this guy after his press conference. He sounded exactly like Todd.

One of the writers asked him what kind of player he would like to recruit at Illinois. His answer was "First and foremost, I want guys who are going to come in and plan on getting a four year degree."

LOL. What a terrible fit.
Dammit. I wish I could hear what they're saying. I'll have to catch them in the car.
It's pretty bad.

Some dude from Champaign called in, and over his outrage they played some banjo music. I LOL'd.
 

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
28,045
Reaction score
10,866
Whatever said:
Did he sign a letter of intent to play at Iowa?
Yup. Alford also told Kelly and Cole they were welcome at NM if they got released from Iowa.
 

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
74,290
Reaction score
17,814
In fact, I feel like I remember some Hawk fans screaming about tampering because Gary made some comment about talking to Alford before he was out of his LOI.
 

HiawathaHawk

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Sep 21, 2010
Messages
14,597
Reaction score
1,867
In fact, I feel like I remember some Hawk fans screaming about tampering because Gary made some comment about talking to Alford before he was out of his LOI.
Correct. He ended up being a better college player than I thought he would.
 

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Joined
Nov 13, 2007
Messages
13,487
Reaction score
-2,120
Whatever said:
Did he sign a letter of intent to play at Iowa?
Yup. Alford also told Kelly and Cole they were welcome at NM if they got released from Iowa.
Dang, I didn't think he signed a LOI. Alford was a scumbag. IIRC, Fran's story with Basabe is that he encouraged him to honor his LOI with Siena and he only recruited him after he got his release and made it clear he wasn't going there. Who knows how true that is, but Fran's assistant got the job, which is obviously very different from Alford leaving.
 

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Joined
Mar 23, 2010
Messages
8,355
Reaction score
-1,948
IIRC, Fran's story with Basabe is that he encouraged him to honor his LOI with Siena and he only recruited him after he got his release and made it clear he wasn't going there.
Basabe made a deal with the Siena AD when he signed that if Fran left, he could get a complete release as long as he gave the new coach a chance to make a pitch. Both of them honored the deal when Fran left, although Mel probably wasn't going to be swayed to stay in any event.
 
Top