Smart turns down Illinois

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,388
Reaction score
52,355
I wonder how many players will transfer. They have 7 4-star recruits on their team, and I doubt they all stick around. I'm sure Hoiberg has called all of them by now.
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,388
Reaction score
52,355
Thad Matta also speaks highly of the guy. You know who else Matta speaks highly of? Todd The Criminal.
 

scottsdalehawk

Buckled Up
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
12,641
Reaction score
-815
David Kaplan ‏ @thekapman
Plane that was being used to pick up Groce has not left Champaign-Urbana. Major problems with a trustee and the hiring.
 

scottsdalehawk

Buckled Up
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
12,641
Reaction score
-815
David Kaplan ‏ @thekapman
Trustee James Montgomery reportedly is furious at hiring process at Illinois. Press conference that was planned is currently off
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,388
Reaction score
52,355
Some folks on the BoT are adamant that Illinois hires a black coach.\

Illinois has never had a black coach for football or men's basketball.
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,388
Reaction score
52,355
I don't think anyone other than redbirdhawk is enjoying this as much as I am.
 

ISUFan98

The Captain of Team Dumbfuck
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
117,131
Reaction score
25,876
Some folks on the BoT are adamant that Illinois hires a black coach.\

Illinois has never had a black coach for football or men's basketball.
Yes, because that's what's really holding them back.
 

ISUFan98

The Captain of Team Dumbfuck
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
117,131
Reaction score
25,876
I know a black coach who loves being a school's fifth choice, and would be real cheap for the Illini. Plus, he could get their satellite TV installed for free.

 
Joined
Aug 28, 2007
Messages
3,613
Reaction score
-42
I don't think anyone other than redbirdhawk is enjoying this as much as I am.

I'm pretty sure every Iowa fans that lives close to or in that state is enjoying this as much as you. As I've said before there is no worse fan than an Illinois basketball fan.
 

Will McCoy

Douchebag
Joined
Aug 27, 2011
Messages
5,695
Reaction score
-242
I don't think anyone other than redbirdhawk is enjoying this as much as I am.
This is pretty GD awesome. I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm b/c I don't want to see them hit a homerun.
 

fuisu98

Asp Wielder
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
14,764
Reaction score
-6,100
Some folks on the BoT are adamant that Illinois hires a black coach.\

Illinois has never had a black coach for football or men's basketball.
Yeah, Montgomery (black guy) is raising hell because they arent hiring a black coach. apparently to the point that the plane to pick the coach up was ground. He also was 1 of 2 that voted against Beckman being hired, again because they wanted a black coach.

If Iowa were looking for a coach and had Bj Armstrong lined up to take the job but they held off on the contract because 2 BoT members wanted a white guy Iowa City would be in ashes.
 
Joined
Apr 23, 2011
Messages
2,909
Reaction score
-795
Some folks on the BoT are adamant that Illinois hires a black coach.\

Illinois has never had a black coach for football or men's basketball.
Yeah, Montgomery (black guy) is raising hell because they arent hiring a black coach. apparently to the point that the plane to pick the coach up was ground. He also was 1 of 2 that voted against Beckman being hired, again because they wanted a black coach.

If Iowa were looking for a coach and had Bj Armstrong lined up to take the job but they held off on the contract because 2 BoT members wanted a white guy Iowa City would be in ashes.
If this is the real reason then if the job goes elsewhere I hope Groce fires up a several million dollar lawsuit.
 

scottsdalehawk

Buckled Up
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
12,641
Reaction score
-815
Fran's Red Face‏@FransRedFaceReply

Nice work on the whole coaching hire process Illinois. I've seen more organized monkey shit fights at the zoo.
 

OlePeep

The Conductor
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
10,705
Reaction score
-6,256
Did anyone else hear Martin say that he used to send money to some of his former plaers when they were in college? It was on CBS yesterday and they were discussing it on Mike and Mike. Is there any way that the NCAA doesnt start taking a look at Frank?
I caught the tail end of that. WTF was he talking about?
I heard him discuss that on Rome last week. He was talking about how when he was still a HS coach he would send cash to help out poor former players as they struggled w/out $$ while they were in college. It was in conjunction with his player's (forgot the kid's name) ineligibility for taking some petty cash from a former AAU coach who had practically raised the kid from age 11
 

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Joined
Mar 23, 2010
Messages
8,355
Reaction score
-1,948
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
9,669
Reaction score
-464
Sort of related but not really: DePaul is looking to build an arena near campus. The Finkl Steel site would be perfect. It's walking distance to campus, the L, the metra and 2 minutes from the interstate. This would be huge for DePaul.

http://www.csnchicago.com/ncaa/news/DePaul-looking-to-build-new-arena-land-C?blockID=677786&feedID=661
We are somewhat involved in neighborhood things in the City, getting development done is crazy, people are nuts. That's a nice plot of land, that can bring in quite a bit of revenue for the City (Illinois and Chicago need "revenue" to support the lib causes that help make society better). I would bet that it won't get done, and if by chance it does it will be done in 10 years. Given that Children's Memorial is moving downtown that plot is already a cluster as people in that neighborhood have been complaining for a while about various proposals (retail, DePaul, etc.).
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,388
Reaction score
52,355
The word is that they might not get Groce now because Ohio is going to offer him a sizeable raise to stay.
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,388
Reaction score
52,355
I almost think Theus makes the most sense now. He's black, so he's got that going for him. Plus he'll probably be able to recruit fairly well.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,386
Reaction score
28,106
Illinois should give Larry Brown a call to fill in for a couple of years while they get their shit together.
 

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Joined
Dec 1, 2008
Messages
75,076
Reaction score
27,910
Jeff Goodman ‏ @GoodmanCBS

John Groce to Illinois is a done deal, source told CBSSports. News Conference likely tomorrow.
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,388
Reaction score
52,355
They're really going to do this. LOL.

Supposedly Groce has been holding out to get an 8 year deal. If Illinois game him that they have gone full retard.
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,388
Reaction score
52,355
This is not going to end well.
 

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Joined
Nov 13, 2007
Messages
13,487
Reaction score
-2,120
If Lick doesn't get the Miami of Ohio job I could see him being an assistant for Groce at Illinois. I suppose he could also be a candidate for the Ohio job.
 

Hawkeye_Pierce

May Have Fondled a Tranny
Joined
Mar 5, 2010
Messages
12,331
Reaction score
1,118
They're really going to do this. LOL.

Supposedly Groce has been holding out to get an 8 year deal. If Illinois game him that they have gone full retard.
Just reading up on Groce. Sounds like he has pretty solid recruiting skills and was instrumental in Ohio State's success before taking the Ohio job. Still, I have a hard time imagining him being successful navigating the shark infested waters of the CPL. His first hire should be Simeon's Robert Smith.

Frankly, I think this is a better hire for the Illini than Brad Stevens would have been.
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,388
Reaction score
52,355
They're really going to do this. LOL.

Supposedly Groce has been holding out to get an 8 year deal. If Illinois game him that they have gone full retard.
Just reading up on Groce. Sounds like he has pretty solid recruiting skills and was instrumental in Ohio State's success before taking the Ohio job. Still, I have a hard time imagining him being successful navigating the shark infested waters of the CPL. His first hire should be Simeon's Robert Smith.

Frankly, I think this is a better hire for the Illini than Brad Stevens would have been.
From earlier in this thread:

5. Groce's reputation as a recruiter is almost entirely built around the Oden-Conley class at Ohio State. There are two giant holes to be blown in that feather in his cap, however. First of all, both Oden and Conley were coached in AAU by Groce's half-brother. This brother is no longer working as an AAU coach. Plus, the lead recruiter for that class was really Daequan Cook, who was as active as anyone in convincing Oden and Conley to jump aboard. Groce was in the right place at the right time.
[/QUOTE]
 

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
74,290
Reaction score
17,814
Groce's best recruit at Ohio (and purportedly evidence he'll recruit Chicago) was D.J. Cooper, an unranked 3* player whose other offers were Loyola and Kent State.

His recruiting classes at Ohio have been basically typical of a Mac school. The Illini are putting a lot of eggs in that one Ohio State recruiting class basket.
 

HiawathaHawk

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Sep 21, 2010
Messages
14,597
Reaction score
1,867
They're really going to do this. LOL.

Supposedly Groce has been holding out to get an 8 year deal. If Illinois game him that they have gone full retard.
Just reading up on Groce. Sounds like he has pretty solid recruiting skills and was instrumental in Ohio State's success before taking the Ohio job. Still, I have a hard time imagining him being successful navigating the shark infested waters of the CPL. His first hire should be Simeon's Robert Smith.

Frankly, I think this is a better hire for the Illini than Brad Stevens would have been.
No fucking way.

Brad Stevens could have said "fuck Chicago" and won big. The idea that he can't recruit is nuts. He got Matt Howard, a 4-star guy to turn down everyone else in state and others in the Big Ten for Butler BEFORE they won anything big. He almost got Cody Zeller to Butler. He's not Todd The Criminal.
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,388
Reaction score
52,355
They're really going to do this. LOL.

Supposedly Groce has been holding out to get an 8 year deal. If Illinois game him that they have gone full retard.
Just reading up on Groce. Sounds like he has pretty solid recruiting skills and was instrumental in Ohio State's success before taking the Ohio job. Still, I have a hard time imagining him being successful navigating the shark infested waters of the CPL. His first hire should be Simeon's Robert Smith.

Frankly, I think this is a better hire for the Illini than Brad Stevens would have been.
No fucking way.

Brad Stevens could have said "fuck Chicago" and won big. The idea that he can't recruit is nuts. He got Matt Howard, a 4-star guy to turn down everyone else in state and others in the Big Ten for Butler BEFORE they won anything big. He almost got Cody Zeller to Butler. He's not Todd The Criminal.
While I agree that Stevens may not have been the best fit for Illinois and I jokingly said it would be similar to hiring The Criminal, Stevens would be a WAY better hire than Groce.
 

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Joined
Mar 23, 2010
Messages
8,355
Reaction score
-1,948
have a hard time imagining him being successful navigating the shark infested waters of the CPL. His first hire should be Simeon's Robert Smith.
I think he should hire Bob Hambric. :rolleyes:

I'm just relieved that they didn't get Smart, and pleased that there's a lot of gnashing of teeth among the Illannoy fanbase.
 

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Joined
Nov 13, 2007
Messages
13,487
Reaction score
-2,120
They're really going to do this. LOL.

Supposedly Groce has been holding out to get an 8 year deal. If Illinois game him that they have gone full retard.
Just reading up on Groce. Sounds like he has pretty solid recruiting skills and was instrumental in Ohio State's success before taking the Ohio job. Still, I have a hard time imagining him being successful navigating the shark infested waters of the CPL. His first hire should be Simeon's Robert Smith.

Frankly, I think this is a better hire for the Illini than Brad Stevens would have been.
No fucking way.

Brad Stevens could have said "fuck Chicago" and won big. The idea that he can't recruit is nuts. He got Matt Howard, a 4-star guy to turn down everyone else in state and others in the Big Ten for Butler BEFORE they won anything big. He almost got Cody Zeller to Butler. He's not Todd The Criminal.
Matt Howard was a The Criminal recruit.
 

HiawathaHawk

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Sep 21, 2010
Messages
14,597
Reaction score
1,867
Just reading up on Groce. Sounds like he has pretty solid recruiting skills and was instrumental in Ohio State's success before taking the Ohio job. Still, I have a hard time imagining him being successful navigating the shark infested waters of the CPL. His first hire should be Simeon's Robert Smith.

Frankly, I think this is a better hire for the Illini than Brad Stevens would have been.
No fucking way.

Brad Stevens could have said "fuck Chicago" and won big. The idea that he can't recruit is nuts. He got Matt Howard, a 4-star guy to turn down everyone else in state and others in the Big Ten for Butler BEFORE they won anything big. He almost got Cody Zeller to Butler. He's not Todd The Criminal.
Matt Howard was a The Criminal recruit.
Yes Lick was the head coach. But as was discussed repeatedly at the time, Stevens was his lead recruiter and he never considered following Lick to Iowa.
 

Whatever

Loves Fayette
Joined
Nov 13, 2007
Messages
13,487
Reaction score
-2,120
How do you know Howard never considered following Lick to Iowa?
 
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
28,581
Reaction score
-6,048
How do you know Howard never considered following Lick to Iowa?
Put yourself in Howard's shoes...would you consider following Lick to Iowa?

NFW
At that time? Probably. The HC of the school I committed to was just named Nat'l HC of the Year, is leaving a mid-major school for a power conference school, and would be receptive to me following him? Yeah, I'd think about it.
 

HiawathaHawk

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Sep 21, 2010
Messages
14,597
Reaction score
1,867
How do you know Howard never considered following Lick to Iowa?
Didn't he say as much almost immediately? Iowa fans got excited about the possibility of Howard coming with him, Butler fans assured us that Stevens was his guy and Howard then re-affirmed his commitment.

That's how I remembered it at least but I could be wrong.
 
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
6,160
Reaction score
-15
How do you know Howard never considered following Lick to Iowa?
Didn't he say as much almost immediately? Iowa fans got excited about the possibility of Howard coming with him, Butler fans assured us that Stevens was his guy and Howard then re-affirmed his commitment.

That's how I remembered it at least but I could be wrong.
The Criminal immediately said that those players (Howard's class) made a commitment to Butler and they should stick with it and he made no attempt to bring any of them with him.
 

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
74,290
Reaction score
17,814
How do you know Howard never considered following Lick to Iowa?
Didn't he say as much almost immediately? Iowa fans got excited about the possibility of Howard coming with him, Butler fans assured us that Stevens was his guy and Howard then re-affirmed his commitment.

That's how I remembered it at least but I could be wrong.
The Criminal immediately said that those players (Howard's class) made a commitment to Butler and they should stick with it and he made no attempt to bring any of them with him.
That son of a bitch.

Todd The Criminal was a fucking criminal.
 
Top