You know who else Evan Turner spoke highly of?Text from one of my Illini buddies.We will see Farva..Evan Turner sure spoke VERY highly of him..He's an extremely elite recruiter.
+1You know who else Evan Turner spoke highly of?Text from one of my Illini buddies.We will see Farva..Evan Turner sure spoke VERY highly of him..He's an extremely elite recruiter.
Eric Awkward May.
Yes, because that's what's really holding them back.Some folks on the BoT are adamant that Illinois hires a black coach.\
Illinois has never had a black coach for football or men's basketball.
I don't think anyone other than redbirdhawk is enjoying this as much as I am.
This is pretty GD awesome. I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm b/c I don't want to see them hit a homerun.I don't think anyone other than redbirdhawk is enjoying this as much as I am.
Yeah, Montgomery (black guy) is raising hell because they arent hiring a black coach. apparently to the point that the plane to pick the coach up was ground. He also was 1 of 2 that voted against Beckman being hired, again because they wanted a black coach.Some folks on the BoT are adamant that Illinois hires a black coach.\
Illinois has never had a black coach for football or men's basketball.
If this is the real reason then if the job goes elsewhere I hope Groce fires up a several million dollar lawsuit.Yeah, Montgomery (black guy) is raising hell because they arent hiring a black coach. apparently to the point that the plane to pick the coach up was ground. He also was 1 of 2 that voted against Beckman being hired, again because they wanted a black coach.Some folks on the BoT are adamant that Illinois hires a black coach.\
Illinois has never had a black coach for football or men's basketball.
If Iowa were looking for a coach and had Bj Armstrong lined up to take the job but they held off on the contract because 2 BoT members wanted a white guy Iowa City would be in ashes.
I heard him discuss that on Rome last week. He was talking about how when he was still a HS coach he would send cash to help out poor former players as they struggled w/out $$ while they were in college. It was in conjunction with his player's (forgot the kid's name) ineligibility for taking some petty cash from a former AAU coach who had practically raised the kid from age 11I caught the tail end of that. WTF was he talking about?Did anyone else hear Martin say that he used to send money to some of his former plaers when they were in college? It was on CBS yesterday and they were discussing it on Mike and Mike. Is there any way that the NCAA doesnt start taking a look at Frank?Frank Martin is out of play: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/26/3514005/report-south-carolina-to-hire.html
In fairness, that was after a game in which May had two or three of the best highlight-reel plays by any Iowa player in recent years--including that baseline-takeoff Superman dunk on which Turner was a spectator.+1You know who else Evan Turner spoke highly of?Text from one of my Illini buddies.
Eric Awkward May.
We are somewhat involved in neighborhood things in the City, getting development done is crazy, people are nuts. That's a nice plot of land, that can bring in quite a bit of revenue for the City (Illinois and Chicago need "revenue" to support the lib causes that help make society better). I would bet that it won't get done, and if by chance it does it will be done in 10 years. Given that Children's Memorial is moving downtown that plot is already a cluster as people in that neighborhood have been complaining for a while about various proposals (retail, DePaul, etc.).Sort of related but not really: DePaul is looking to build an arena near campus. The Finkl Steel site would be perfect. It's walking distance to campus, the L, the metra and 2 minutes from the interstate. This would be huge for DePaul.
http://www.csnchicago.com/ncaa/news/DePaul-looking-to-build-new-arena-land-C?blockID=677786&feedID=661
Good call - he wants to work , but he does have one large downfall:Illinois should give Larry Brown a call to fill in for a couple of years while they get their shit together.
:rotf:Groce was born in Muncie, Ind., and played for Todd The Criminal at Danville High School in Indiana.
Yep. Todd fucking LOVES the guy. That should be all anyone needs to know.:rotf:Groce was born in Muncie, Ind., and played for Todd The Criminal at Danville High School in Indiana.
Just reading up on Groce. Sounds like he has pretty solid recruiting skills and was instrumental in Ohio State's success before taking the Ohio job. Still, I have a hard time imagining him being successful navigating the shark infested waters of the CPL. His first hire should be Simeon's Robert Smith.They're really going to do this. LOL.
Supposedly Groce has been holding out to get an 8 year deal. If Illinois game him that they have gone full retard.
From earlier in this thread:Just reading up on Groce. Sounds like he has pretty solid recruiting skills and was instrumental in Ohio State's success before taking the Ohio job. Still, I have a hard time imagining him being successful navigating the shark infested waters of the CPL. His first hire should be Simeon's Robert Smith.They're really going to do this. LOL.
Supposedly Groce has been holding out to get an 8 year deal. If Illinois game him that they have gone full retard.
Frankly, I think this is a better hire for the Illini than Brad Stevens would have been.
[/QUOTE]5. Groce's reputation as a recruiter is almost entirely built around the Oden-Conley class at Ohio State. There are two giant holes to be blown in that feather in his cap, however. First of all, both Oden and Conley were coached in AAU by Groce's half-brother. This brother is no longer working as an AAU coach. Plus, the lead recruiter for that class was really Daequan Cook, who was as active as anyone in convincing Oden and Conley to jump aboard. Groce was in the right place at the right time.
No fucking way.Just reading up on Groce. Sounds like he has pretty solid recruiting skills and was instrumental in Ohio State's success before taking the Ohio job. Still, I have a hard time imagining him being successful navigating the shark infested waters of the CPL. His first hire should be Simeon's Robert Smith.They're really going to do this. LOL.
Supposedly Groce has been holding out to get an 8 year deal. If Illinois game him that they have gone full retard.
Frankly, I think this is a better hire for the Illini than Brad Stevens would have been.
While I agree that Stevens may not have been the best fit for Illinois and I jokingly said it would be similar to hiring The Criminal, Stevens would be a WAY better hire than Groce.No fucking way.Just reading up on Groce. Sounds like he has pretty solid recruiting skills and was instrumental in Ohio State's success before taking the Ohio job. Still, I have a hard time imagining him being successful navigating the shark infested waters of the CPL. His first hire should be Simeon's Robert Smith.They're really going to do this. LOL.
Supposedly Groce has been holding out to get an 8 year deal. If Illinois game him that they have gone full retard.
Frankly, I think this is a better hire for the Illini than Brad Stevens would have been.
Brad Stevens could have said "fuck Chicago" and won big. The idea that he can't recruit is nuts. He got Matt Howard, a 4-star guy to turn down everyone else in state and others in the Big Ten for Butler BEFORE they won anything big. He almost got Cody Zeller to Butler. He's not Todd The Criminal.
I think he should hire Bob Hambric.have a hard time imagining him being successful navigating the shark infested waters of the CPL. His first hire should be Simeon's Robert Smith.
Matt Howard was a The Criminal recruit.No fucking way.Just reading up on Groce. Sounds like he has pretty solid recruiting skills and was instrumental in Ohio State's success before taking the Ohio job. Still, I have a hard time imagining him being successful navigating the shark infested waters of the CPL. His first hire should be Simeon's Robert Smith.They're really going to do this. LOL.
Supposedly Groce has been holding out to get an 8 year deal. If Illinois game him that they have gone full retard.
Frankly, I think this is a better hire for the Illini than Brad Stevens would have been.
Brad Stevens could have said "fuck Chicago" and won big. The idea that he can't recruit is nuts. He got Matt Howard, a 4-star guy to turn down everyone else in state and others in the Big Ten for Butler BEFORE they won anything big. He almost got Cody Zeller to Butler. He's not Todd The Criminal.
Yes Lick was the head coach. But as was discussed repeatedly at the time, Stevens was his lead recruiter and he never considered following Lick to Iowa.Matt Howard was a The Criminal recruit.No fucking way.Just reading up on Groce. Sounds like he has pretty solid recruiting skills and was instrumental in Ohio State's success before taking the Ohio job. Still, I have a hard time imagining him being successful navigating the shark infested waters of the CPL. His first hire should be Simeon's Robert Smith.
Frankly, I think this is a better hire for the Illini than Brad Stevens would have been.
Brad Stevens could have said "fuck Chicago" and won big. The idea that he can't recruit is nuts. He got Matt Howard, a 4-star guy to turn down everyone else in state and others in the Big Ten for Butler BEFORE they won anything big. He almost got Cody Zeller to Butler. He's not Todd The Criminal.
Put yourself in Howard's shoes...would you consider following Lick to Iowa?How do you know Howard never considered following Lick to Iowa?
National Coach of the Year Lick? Hell if I know. He committed to play for him at Butler. I'd be interested to know how Hiawatha knows he didn't even consider it.Put yourself in Howard's shoes...would you consider following Lick to Iowa?How do you know Howard never considered following Lick to Iowa?
NFW
At that time? Probably. The HC of the school I committed to was just named Nat'l HC of the Year, is leaving a mid-major school for a power conference school, and would be receptive to me following him? Yeah, I'd think about it.Put yourself in Howard's shoes...would you consider following Lick to Iowa?How do you know Howard never considered following Lick to Iowa?
NFW
Didn't he say as much almost immediately? Iowa fans got excited about the possibility of Howard coming with him, Butler fans assured us that Stevens was his guy and Howard then re-affirmed his commitment.How do you know Howard never considered following Lick to Iowa?
The Criminal immediately said that those players (Howard's class) made a commitment to Butler and they should stick with it and he made no attempt to bring any of them with him.Didn't he say as much almost immediately? Iowa fans got excited about the possibility of Howard coming with him, Butler fans assured us that Stevens was his guy and Howard then re-affirmed his commitment.How do you know Howard never considered following Lick to Iowa?
That's how I remembered it at least but I could be wrong.
That son of a bitch.The Criminal immediately said that those players (Howard's class) made a commitment to Butler and they should stick with it and he made no attempt to bring any of them with him.Didn't he say as much almost immediately? Iowa fans got excited about the possibility of Howard coming with him, Butler fans assured us that Stevens was his guy and Howard then re-affirmed his commitment.How do you know Howard never considered following Lick to Iowa?
That's how I remembered it at least but I could be wrong.