Who do you hate more?

Who do you hate more?

• Total voters

JR Hawks

Receives State Appropriations
Reaction score
There is zero chance of anything happening with Kirk, Brian or Barta in-season.

The only chance for immediate improvement is benching Petras, the o-line somehow improving, or some tinkering with the offense during the bye week.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Could he, though? His last two OL coaching hires have been bad, he hasn’t changed philosophies with rule changes, and we haven’t had a consistently dominant line in over a decade. I think his OL guru days are behind him.
Yes, football coaching is the most incestuous profession there is. Nothing is more good old boys than football, maybe hockey I suppose. But that’s the list.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Is that because of the past, or because you think he’ll be the best choice for the future and the present?
That’s a good question. Probably both? We have been down similar roads before. Kirk has righted the ship. He’s a good man who loves this program and I’d hate to see it end on bitter terms. He’s earned it.

Uli Kunkel

Fireworks Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately he doesn't have the physique of Bert, so he could absolutely serve the duration.

thrawn

Reaction score
How is Kirk staying a concern? His last two OC hires have sucked. College football has completely changed in the last year, Kirk’s just fine with a laughingstock offense, and has no interest/ability to navigate the transfer portal and also has somehow convinced himself that Spencer Petras is the best chance at winning. That’s all pretty concerning. But I agree, I can imagine it, but don’t think Kirk would ever actually do something like this, was just offering as a counter to the attempts at leverage people are giving Barta.
they’ve been a top 20ish program since 2015, including two years with the worst QB in D1. if they had an average, or even below average QB, they would be 5-1 or 6-0. yes, this year is going to damage recruiting, but I think Iowa would be able to have a merely bad offense if not for the bizarre commitment to Petras. And with the machines Levar and Phil have built ”merely bad” probably keeps them as a top 20ish program, because the changes in the last year are really just going to boost the top 5-10 programs, not the rest of the sport.

So maybe mis-identifying and poorly developing the worst QBs possible to is now going to be a repeatable skill, or maybe Kirk would just decide to permanently self sabotage. but they’d probably find a merely bad one going forward, and that would be enough.

so unless you think top 20ish isn‘t good enough (which is reasonable, although it will leave you miserable), Kirk will find historically bad QBs no matter the OC, or Kirk will sabotage the program out of vengeance, I do not find retaining Kirk without Brian to be a concern

newsbreaker

Got the top grade in his torts class
Reaction score
If Barta fired Brian, absolutely no person of relevance either national or local outside of the Ferentz family would criticize it.
Is this the week the national sports media and podcast nation aren't a giant circle of junior high drama lamas?

Moreover, Kirk is here YEARS after, and we already know he can be a petulant ass. Have fun managing that for the rest of the decade.

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
whom, motherfucker. whom do you hate.

(and it's brian)

Kerky

Does Not Return His Shopping Cart
Reaction score
In order,

1. Brian
2. Kirk (only for the good things he produced with running the program, but his arrogance tops Brian)
3. Spencer
4. Barta (Simply a useful fundraising idiot)

Mountain Hawk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
What Kirk has done this year to the team is egregious, and now it's too late no matter what changes he makes.

They are going to get clobbered by Ohio State and be 3-4. Even if they win out and go 8-4, the very best they can do is take a trip to a mid-level bowl game, and not a single soul here will feel great about that like we did in 2008 when something similar happened.

Not only that, but he soured most of the fan base on him, has made his own child enemy #1, taken a nice kid that had no business playing Power 5 football and made the Iowa program the laughing stock and poster child for terrible offense.

Why? Because an old man didn't have the stones to man up and face reality and admit he fucked up. He bought into his own hubris, and now he gets to deal with just how ugly it can get.
That's the problem. He won't have to deal with it.

Mountain Hawk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I do not understand this thinking.

Brian is only untouchable if you care what KF thinks about it.

Should Barta care about that at this point?
Barta should have started planning his exit strategy when he green-lighted hiring BF. He's had years, so his give-a-fuck-o-meter should read zero. I ain't gonna cry for him if his life is suddenly hard.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
My buddy, who has coached nfl players, said it best...”Brian is a guy who was born on 3rd base and thinks he hit a triple”
Nah, it's all because of his daddy. He's a shitty coach whose dad pulled the strings on those awards.
Nevermind that Brian started at the very bottom of The Patriots as basically a gofer and worked his way up
This is where all of this has gotten so fucking dumb. Way too many people are painting the picture as if Kirk’s son, Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz has been a total muddled disaster made worse by him having parking tickets and cussing at a ref during halftime.

The reality is that Iowa is rolling pretty well not only on the field but also in recruiting and talent development. They are right there as a solid Top 25 or even Top 15 level program.

It makes it even more maddening that this all went from a few legit issues to now we are getting thinkpiece articles about what Brian had for breakfast in Pheasant Ridge 17 years ago and Harty making up an speculative article because he is bored and there is no news.

Get the fucking report out, let there be one more round of bullshit and then tell everyone to fuck off going forward.
The offensive talent is much better now. Seems BF runs a more modern offense that fits. He’s still growing & learning. Seems to have improved each season.
If Petras is even average as a B10 QB, the offense should be as dangerous as any we've seen in the KF era

SteadyEddy

HaLo Walk-on
Reaction score
Those statements about BF sound terrible now but it wasn't a crazy thought he was heading in the right direction at one point. There seemed to be glimmers of something good, even great at times, but it wasn't consistent.

The past 2 years the bottom has dropped out.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Hockensen, Fant, Wadley and ISM covered a lot of warts, although they still sometimes flared despite their efforts.