**2015-2016 Iowa Hawkeye Basketball Season Thread**

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
What makes you think Fran isn't going anywhere? Aside from Notre dame, Fran has been at iowa longer than any previous stop.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
What makes you think Fran isn't going anywhere? Aside from Notre dame, Fran has been at iowa longer than any previous stop.
he's 56 years old, his kids are embedded in IC schools and his family feels indebted to U of I hospitals.

and no, he was at NC Greensboro 6 years

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I don't think Fran is going anywhere, but I'm pretty sure he's allowed to take his family with him.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
he's 56 years old, his kids are embedded in IC schools and his family feels indebted to U of I hospitals.

this is his sixth year at Iowa. And there have been like five coaches in history that have actually thought about their kids.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score

this is his sixth year at Iowa. And there have been like five coaches in history that have actually thought about their kids.
heres what you said..."Aside from Notre dame, Fran has been at iowa longer than any previous stop. "

that isn't true.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score

heres what you said..."Aside from Notre dame, Fran has been at iowa longer than any previous stop. "

that isn't true.
Fine, in 3 weeks Fran will have been at Iowa longer than any previous stop other than Notre Dame. Any other groundbreaking insight?

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score

that isn't true.
Fine, in 3 weeks Fran will have been at Iowa longer than any previous stop other than Notre Dame. Any other groundbreaking insight?
no, it just confirms what we knew

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
well, since he's been here the same length of time as Greensboro, we should probably expect him to leave then.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I was laughing at that guy on TOS saying that Jok might declare for the NBA Draft, but then I remembered the rule change and in all honesty it isn't as far fetched as you think this year. The NBA and NCAA changed the rules and I could see Jok even being encouraged to explore it with the new set up.

In previous years, if you declared for the NBA Draft you immediately lost your remaining eligibility and you had to do it about 2 weeks after the season was completed. Now they moved that back 5 weeks and after the NBA Draft Combine.

That second part is the biggest deal. Jok can declare to let them know he is interested and if they extend an invitation to him, he can not only attend and participate, but he can also attend one NBA team tryout/workout after. From there, he has 10 days to withdraw.

I don't think he is ready yet, but you never know. Not really a stretch that he could go to Chicago and test out well enough and then tear it up shooting in the scrimmage portion showing enough defense to make teams interested. He is an elite level shooter with a quick release and a contending team with a late pick in the first round could really like a player and draft him in the first round to stash him in the D-League (like Oklahoma City has done recently) for a year.

He is still a dumbass that doesn't have great athleticism, but he has gotten better every year and more and more has stretches like he did today when he was on fire and doing it in a variety of ways.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Here are the changes....

Changes for college underclassmen in 2016[edit]
In March 2015, following a series of meetings that began at the 2014 men's Final Four, the NBA, NCAA, and the trade association for college men's coaches, the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC), announced a plan that would give college underclassmen a better opportunity to make an informed decision about their NBA status than the then-current system. Under this plan:[26]

• The NCAA would no longer automatically treat entry into the draft as forfeiture of remaining college eligibility. Instead, it would allow underclassmen to withdraw from the draft in late May, about five weeks after the then-current deadline, and retain their remaining eligibility (as long as they do not sign with an agent in the meantime). The NBA's early-entry and withdrawal deadlines, respectively 60 days and 10 days before the draft, would not change because they are written into the league's collective bargaining agreement.
  • The NBA would expand its invitation-only draft combine, currently held in Chicago, to include players with remaining college eligibility (who would also have to be invited in order to attend). The stated purpose of this expansion was to allow underclassmen to receive feedback from NBA teams on their draft prospects. According to one NCAA executive, the expanded combine would involve from 20 to 30% more players than the approximately 70 who participated at that time.
The NCAA rule change was formally presented by the NCAA men's basketball oversight committee on June 24, 2015, and was approved by the NCAA Division I council on January 13, 2016. The new rule, which will take effect with the 2016 draft, specifically sets the new withdrawal date at 10 days after the end of the NBA draft combine. Additionally, players may declare for the draft multiple times without losing college eligibility, as long as they withdraw before the new deadline without hiring an agent, and will be allowed to attend the draft combine and one NBA team tryout per year without losing college eligibility.[21]

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
I was laughing at that guy on TOS saying that Jok might declare for the NBA Draft, but then I remembered the rule change and in all honesty it isn't as far fetched as you think this year. The NBA and NCAA changed the rules and I could see Jok even being encouraged to explore it with the new set up.

In previous years, if you declared for the NBA Draft you immediately lost your remaining eligibility and you had to do it about 2 weeks after the season was completed. Now they moved that back 5 weeks and after the NBA Draft Combine.

That second part is the biggest deal. Jok can declare to let them know he is interested and if they extend an invitation to him, he can not only attend and participate, but he can also attend one NBA team tryout/workout after. From there, he has 10 days to withdraw.

I don't think he is ready yet, but you never know. Not really a stretch that he could go to Chicago and test out well enough and then tear it up shooting in the scrimmage portion showing enough defense to make teams interested. He is an elite level shooter with a quick release and a contending team with a late pick in the first round could really like a player and draft him in the first round to stash him in the D-League (like Oklahoma City has done recently) for a year.

He is still a dumbass that doesn't have great athleticism, but he has gotten better every year and more and more has stretches like he did today when he was on fire and doing it in a variety of ways.
I posted these exact thoughts a week ago and was told by many (yourself included) to GFM. Glad you've come to your senses. It would completely suck if he left early, but the new rules make it almost a no brainer for guys like Jok to explore, showcase their game for scouts, and get feedback. I would be somewhat surprised if he doesn't test the waters. I still think he will ultimately return, but the setup is much more student athlete friendly than it was in the past.

douglasbader

Reaction score

I posted these exact thoughts a week ago and was told by many (yourself included) to GFM. Glad you've come to your senses. It would completely suck if he left early, but the new rules make it almost a no brainer for guys like Jok to explore, showcase their game for scouts, and get feedback. I would be somewhat surprised if he doesn't test the waters. I still think he will ultimately return, but the setup is much more student athlete friendly than it was in the past.
I was telling you to go fuck yourself on the Top 20 pick thing, but I honestly only skim your posts because you are still not even to 1k posts and that makes you a worthless n00b fuck.

You understand, of course.

douglasbader

Reaction score
He still has to get an invite to the NBA Combine and given they only want to add 20% - 30% over the 70 that already go there, you are talking he would need to be one of about 20 guys thinking about doing this.

After getting 2nd Team All-Big Ten, he honestly might be close to that threshold.

Reaction score
Lunardi has Iowa as a 6 seed, Palm a 7, Bilas thinks yesterday's performance might drop them to an 8 or 9. I look @ the brackets & think the first 2 games wouldn't be bad matchups & they probably aren't. It's pretty hard to see these guys waking up & getting their swagger back. Losing in the BTT wasn't life or death, but you'd think 3 of the seniors would muster more than collectively taking a dump @ midcourt, like they did yesterday. That's a bigger red flag, to me, than anything I saw during February.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
If Jok can get stronger and improve his handle he could go 1st Rd next yr

douglasbader

Reaction score
Lunardi has Iowa as a 6 seed, Palm a 7, Bilas thinks yesterday's performance might drop them to an 8 or 9. I look @ the brackets & think the first 2 games wouldn't be bad matchups & they probably aren't. It's pretty hard to see these guys waking up & getting their swagger back. Losing in the BTT wasn't life or death, but you'd think 3 of the seniors would muster more than collectively taking a dump @ midcourt, like they did yesterday. That's a bigger red flag, to me, than anything I saw during February.
Bilas is being reactionary to the loss. It is still about resume, and if you look at the resume of Iowa compared to other teams in the #8 or #9 seed levels, it isn't even close.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I don't like Gottlieb, but he isn't wrong.
Sounds like he posts on Halo. I notice he didn't mention Woodbury, but that is likely because it is college basketball and anything you get out of a center is a bonus and you expect them to suck. It is all about the guards in college, and yesterday Iowa's senior guards got smoked by one of the worst Illinois teams in a long time.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
Our guards don't even have to be "good". They just can't be godawful.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I forgot how bad the one against Florida State was. Gesell is a fucking turd.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I'm actually crying laughing watching that Florida State video. I could break that down for hours.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Garta should allocate like $500 in the Carver renovation project to have a cheap 42'' Insignia tv playing that highlight over and over again on the concourse with Mike's name and picture over it and "Career Recap" below it.

Reaction score
Our RPI is 27 now and surprisingly, with a win yesterday and loss to Purdue today it would've only gone up to 24.

Michigan is at 55 right now. If they win tomorrow over Purdue it would move them into the top 50 and give Iowa 2 more top 50 wins.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Sounds like he posts on Halo. I notice he didn't mention Woodbury, but that is likely because it is college basketball and anything you get out of a center is a bonus and you expect them to suck. It is all about the guards in college, and yesterday Iowa's senior guards got smoked by one of the worst Illinois teams in a long time.
Mike will leave Iowa with WAY better numbers than Woodbury. But there is no question he is the much bigger disappointment of two.

Reaction score
Good idea for Fran to continue to give Mike the ball in those situations. Hard to believe Iowa did not get a shot off in the last 15 seconds against Illinois

douglasbader

Reaction score
Mike will leave Iowa with WAY better numbers than Woodbury. But there is no question he is the much bigger disappointment of two.
Not really, and Mike is a career 39% shooter from the field. His assist numbers are decent, but he has been a disaster on the offensive end during his career.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
Good idea for Fran to continue to give Mike the ball in those situations. Hard to believe Iowa did not get a shot off in the last 15 seconds against Illinois
It's not hard to believe, it was the only possible outcome.

It's hard to believe that MG was allowed to do that for an entire career.

douglasbader

Reaction score
It's not hard to believe, it was the only possible outcome.

It's hard to believe that MG was allowed to do that for an entire career.
Always the exact same thing as well and never anything different. Mike dribbling the ball up the right side of the floor trying to go 1 on 2 and having it end in disaster every time.

Reaction score

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
They're gonna make an elite 8ish run. Jarrod will be brilliant and the guards won't be fucking horrible.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Iowa wont get a PG for another couple years other than maybe a 5th yr transfer. Ive got one real scoop in my life in regards to the Hawks....Haluska to Iowa(won a 6 pack from iza on that, which he still hasnt paid). Anyways, the same guy telling me an Iowa asst says they cant get a pg because everyone on the aau circuit knows the plan is for Connor to run the point at Iowa.

Mustangs989

Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Castiglione has been pretty open about them looking at the other ranking systems, hopefully they follow through with it. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/13/sports/ncaabasketball/advanced-metrics-get-a-seat-at-the-selection-committee-table.html?smid=tw-nytsports&smtyp=cur&_r=0

Bracket Matrix has us at a 6 as of late last night. The more prominent national ones I've seen this morning have us at a 6, Palm still has us at a 7.
As far as getting a 6 seed goes, we should be cheering for Nova to beat Seton Hall and St. Joe's to beat Dayton today.

Reaction score
Iowa wont get a PG for another couple years other than maybe a 5th yr transfer. Ive got one real scoop in my life in regards to the Hawks....Haluska to Iowa(won a 6 pack from iza on that, which he still hasnt paid). Anyways, the same guy telling me an Iowa asst says they cant get a pg because everyone on the aau circuit knows the plan is for Connor to run the point at Iowa.
Haven't you posted several times about things you've heard from presumably the same guy?

Last edited:

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Haven't you posted several times about things you've heard from presumably the same guy?
I may have but I guess I'm missing your point?

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

That you've been wrong more than you've been right.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

That you've been wrong more than you've been right.
that's far from accurate
I'm not making the argument, I don't keep a scorecard. But if you've mentioned stuff from this guy multiple times, and only have one scoop to show for it, I'm not sure I'd put a lot of stock into the Connor thing. I'm also not suggesting you shouldn't post rumors, we're all adults here and understand what speculation is.