2017 Recruiting Thread

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
In case you guys haven't seen a scouting report on Garza - he's tall! Taller than most HS players!!

Thanks King James!

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I'm sure that Garza never played hundreds of AAU games against players his size and talent level. He totally has played only high school ball against 6'5'' centers and coaches offered him because he was a head taller. Schools like Indiana, Louisville, Notre Dame and Georgetown offered him because they were tricked by him playing against smaller competition.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
This is why programs should start hiring recruiting coordinators for basketball as well.

"Coach, settle down now, you have to remember he's taller than his opponents."

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score
I think @The Dad is still reeling from realizing he (the Dad not Garza) is a gigantic faggot.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
"Does he play below the rim?"

Well, he's not one of the Monstars, so.....

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
Those guys all get/got fucked more than valpo.

Bob

Reaction score
It turns out being tall is really fucking useful in basketball, who knew?

ClintWalker

Once visited Minnesota
Reaction score
He doesn't move around too bad...fairly mobile for a seven footer.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
footwork is sound, soft hands, can shoot it with a quick release, runs the floor. long arms, pro frame. garza is going to be fucking good.

Reaction score
footwork is sound, soft hands, can shoot it with a quick release, runs the floor. long arms, pro frame. garza is going to be fucking good.
Also he plays with an attitude. He will be a great addition to this team, toughness inside was just lacking this year obviously.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I will enjoy watching bohannon, Weiskamp, Baer, Nunge, and Garza space the floor in a couple years.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
I'd rather have Spud Webb than Garza. Dude played above the rim.

mac50702

SuperUrkel
Reaction score
Has the drafted against his will joke been made yet? If not, this is one

Reaction score
Kriener showed enough this year that I don't want to write him off but if Garza delivers like he could, I don't see a fit for him with Cook, Pemsl, Nunge, Baer, Wagner and Garza here. He'll have a year in the system on him but Garza looks like a bigger, better version.

Bob

Reaction score
Baer already almost exclusively plays on the wing in lineups that have two other bigs, and yeah I think they view Nunge as a Uthoff type

Last edited:

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
I thunk nunge and bear will play SF
Wagner may end up there a bit too when Garza or RK are in the game. I'm still holding out a bit of hope for a Nunge redshirt, just because even if he is really good he still isn't going to get many minutes. Putting him in Weiskamp's class seems ideal

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Wagner may end up there a bit
This would be awful
No shit. That was an awful claim @CurdMan
Offense isn't going to be the issue for this team. Defensively, I would expect Fran to continue playing a lot of zone and Wagner is a capable defender. I don't think it's completely ridiculous to think Fran will run a lineup out there that includes Garza, Cook or Pemsl, and Wagner. Garza's ability to step out and shoot it will help with spacing. It isn't ideal to run Wagner at the 3, but when Baer needs a break, it's going to get iffy. Iowa just isn't going to have enough depth to run 3 guards out there at once and not be a major liability on defense. Among the 3s and 4s on the roster, Wagner is the most capable of keeping up with other teams' guards.

Unless Iowa lands a difference maker at SG or SF, one of the forwards other than Baer is going to get minutes at the 3.

Reaction score
This would be awful
Offense isn't going to be the issue for this team. Defensively, I would expect Fran to continue playing a lot of zone and Wagner is a capable defender. I don't think it's completely ridiculous to think Fran will run a lineup out there that includes Garza, Cook or Pemsl, and Wagner. Garza's ability to step out and shoot it will help with spacing. It isn't ideal to run Wagner at the 3, but when Baer needs a break, it's going to get iffy. Iowa just isn't going to have enough depth to run 3 guards out there at once and not be a major liability on defense. Among the 3s and 4s on the roster, Wagner is the most capable of keeping up with other teams' guards.

Unless Iowa lands a difference maker at SG or SF, one of the forwards other than Baer is going to get minutes at the 3.
Nunge is a 3 and he will be playing serious minutes next year.

Brownzy

Important Backpack Wearer
Reaction score

Nunge is a 3 and he will be playing serious minutes next year.
So....this lineup could be fun?

Garza - 6-11
Cook - 6-8
Nunge 6-10?
Moss
bohannon

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
Provided Dom Uhl and Ahmed Wagner still haven't learned how to play basketball by fall then maybe

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Provided Dom Uhl and Ahmed Wagner still haven't learned how to play basketball by fall then maybe
Ahmad Wagner was fine towards the end of the year when he embraced his role and didn't try to do too much. He's not a skilled basketball player, but he plays damn hard and has some athletic ability. Putting him in that category with Dom Uhl is unfair.

KitKatApples

Reaction score
He has quite a bit of athletic ability. It just isn't matched by basketball ability.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
Uhl and Wagner will come off the bench next year -- in limited minutes. Unless they make huge jumps, we're probably looking at:

1: bohannon/McCaffery/Dailey
2: Moss(?)/Ellingson/Williams(?)
3: Baer/Nunge
4: Cook/Pemsl/Wagner
5: Garza/Kreiner

Wagner could the nod over Pemsl, but it's far more likely that Pemsl wins the minutes battle there. Uhl doesn't seem to fit anywhere, unless he starts at the 3, plays 5 minutes, then sits the rest of the night.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I agree that baer will play most of the minutes at small forward but after watching him play I am totally on board with the idea of nunge playing major minutes there as well. Then you basically have cook/Pemsl/garza/Kriener splitting time at the 4/5.

I know he is a highly regarded recruit but it would not surprise me if Garza comes in and is a little behind everyone at practice and they consider redshirting him. Mainly because Kriener and uhl will be decent on defense.

Hopefully he plays to his ranking and is an immediate contributor though. Especially because that means that Dom is not getting many minutes.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Also it sounds like crazy Roy thinks that Mark Smith will not decide until April so it would be awesome if we could somehow get into that mix after the transfers are announced.

mac50702

SuperUrkel
Reaction score
I wasn't really impressed with kriener, I Don't get what all the excitement is for him.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
I wasn't really impressed with kriener, I Don't get what all the excitement is for him.
Impressed is probably too strong. But he showed that the ability is there.

He can score in the post, hit a jumper, can defend and rebound. The tools are there. He just needs experience/minutes.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Kriener is fine. Shot okay, decent rebounder. Nothing that's going to crowd out a more talented underclassman.

Brownzy

Important Backpack Wearer
Reaction score
Kriener is fine. Shot okay, decent rebounder. Nothing that's going to crowd out a more talented underclassman.
I don't see how people really see him as a center. With another big or two in the lineup it helps, but put him beside Garza and I think his role can expand.

(I really hope Garza is a stud btw)

Bob

Reaction score
It's a tiny sample so you can't extrapolate too much but Kriener was productive when he got minutes. His per 40 rebounding numbers were good and he flashed a pretty polished all around offensive game. I won't be heartbroken if he gets passed by the new guys and lost in the shuffle but I think he's fairly promising

Last edited:

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Impressed is probably too strong. But he showed that the ability is there.

He can score in the post, hit a jumper, can defend and rebound. The tools are there. He just needs experience/minutes.
I think it was a combination of things but the skill is definitely there. He has great touch and isn't a black hole like Cook in the post. The other intriguing part is that of all the freshman he could benefit most from an offseason and little more strength. Also, he actually tries on defense but his aggressiveness made him loom like a tard from time to time.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
Also it sounds like crazy Roy thinks that Mark Smith will not decide until April so it would be awesome if we could somehow get into that mix after the transfers are announced.
From crazy Roy:
OK--now Mark Smith's recruitment has gotten certifiably crazy. Kentucky supposedky reached out today per sources.

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Reaction score
It's a tiny sample so you can't extrapolate too much but Kriener was productive when he got minutes. His per 40 rebounding numbers were good and he flashed a pretty polished all around offensive game. I won't be heartbroken if he gets passed by the new guys and lost in the shuffle but I think he's fairly promising
He had some good games, particularly in the win over Purdue--but not enough minutes to draw any firm conclusions. He could end up anywhere from a solid starter to a deep sub. Hope to see significant improvement from him as a sophomore, but without at least one redshirt among the bigs, minutes will be tight.

KitKatApples

Reaction score
He was coming off an injury heading into this season also