**2018-2019 Iowa Hawkeyes Basketball Season Thread**

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
Still 3 days till the game, speculate on........

Say Fran does leave, who are potential candidates? I really have no idea and the thought of Barta filling the head coaching position with no obvious replacement is scary.
Doug says Speraw really hurt his chances with the team's poor performance against Wisconsin.
It was the second dumbest Post in this thread today. Yours about carton was the first
You're the first dumbest.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I’m rooting for Fran to break through. I think he’s a pretty good coach. I want the program to be better and I THINK he can do it.

Plus, a high major coach who has two kids playing for him simultaneously, one of whom is excelling in a another major sport, and another who won a very public cancer battle, would really be an incredible story. I cheer for that kind of shit. Along with beer in Carver.

BRING IT IN!!!

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Too early to start an off-season thread, but wow Northwestern is going to be decimated next year.

They lose their top 3 scorers Vic Law, Derek Pardon and Ryan Taylor to graduation. Falzon, Benson and Ash are grad transferring.

I think they only bring back Turner, Gaines, Kopp and Nance for around 20 points per game combined.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
Their situation at guard is going to be problematic. Only one of those dudes returning is a guard, and they have 3 recruits coming in. 2 are pretty decent power forward recruits and the other is a shooting guard with no other high major offers.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Their situation at guard is going to be problematic. Only one of those dudes returning is a guard, and they have 3 recruits coming in. 2 are pretty decent power forward recruits and the other is a shooting guard with no other high major offers.
They have 4 open scholarships counting all their returning players and recruits. Woof.

Collins is going to get fired and would be surprised if they win more than 12 games.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
They have 4 open scholarships counting all their returning players and recruits. Woof.

Collins is going to get fired and would be surprised if they win more than 12 games.
I will wait until grad transfer season is over before I get declarative, but they look terrible.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

A couple years ago, Collins was on the board for hot coaching candidates to take bigger jobs. Even prior to this season.

He should have bailed when he had the chance.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
Typical for Northwestern. Hire a new coach. Coach brings in a good recruiting class or two. Team gets better. Then the recruits dry up because it's Northwestern. Team starts to suck. Coach is fired. Repeat.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Collins is the first Northwestern coach since Dutch Lonborg with a winning record. Even Tex Winter couldn't make that dump work.

I do enjoy that Carmody was able to do something at Holy Cross that he wasn't able to do at Northwestern - make the tournament.

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
I’m rooting for Fran to break through. I think he’s a pretty good coach. I want the program to be better and I THINK he can do it.

Plus, a high major coach who has two kids playing for him simultaneously, one of whom is excelling in a another major sport, and another who won a very public cancer battle, would really be an incredible story. I cheer for that kind of shit. Along with beer in Carver.

BRING IT IN!!!
I too hope Iowa basketball is good in the near term.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score

BRING IT IN!!!
I don't know. I need some time to think this over before I conclude whether or I agree that I'm rooting for Iowa to be good at basketball.

Reaction score

BRING IT IN!!!
I don't give a shit about the feel good story stuff, though.

Harlan

Drinks liquor with a straw
Reaction score

BRING IT IN!!!
I don't give a shit about the feel good story stuff, though.
I just gave your mom a feel good story to tell.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
This does nothing for me, tbh. I'd rather have a Top 5 team made of kids cheating their ass off to remain eligible than a 40ish team made up of academic AAs.

Silky Johnson

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
This does nothing for me, tbh. I'd rather have a Top 5 team made of kids cheating their ass off to remain eligible than a 40ish team made up of academic AAs.
Meh, I feel dumb enough sometimes for caring about games played by 18-23 yr olds I don’t know. If we were cheating in a significant way it’d likely be more pathetic imo.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
He takes a lot of crap and a lot of it is deserved, but really- good for Connor. Two D1 sports and academic all big ten. Say what you want about him, but clearly he is working his ass off to be successful with everything.

Reaction score
Kakert interviewed the redshirt guys. Nunge is up 15-20 pounds to 250 as we heard before and looks solid now. Fredrick says he came in at 175 and is 195 now while maintaining his speed and his "athleticism has gone up a little bit too" whatever that means.

Nunge is going to be a stud. I'll be interested to see what Fredrick looks like. Easy to forget about him but it would be nice to have another threat at 2 pushing Moss and filling in when he's off.

douglasbader

Reaction score

The Incredible Hawk

Will Spineboard You
Reaction score

douglasbader

Reaction score
Isn’t he 6’10? 250 seems like a good weight for him, hopefully he is more physical. More weight doesn’t necessarily mean stronger, but obviously it helps. KD is 240 and still a string bean who can’t bench 185.
He couldn't bench 185 when he came out of Texas, he benches over 235 pounds now.
Oh cool, he can almost bench his body weight.
Oh cool, his arm are as long as you are tall.

Reaction score
Isn’t he 6’10? 250 seems like a good weight for him, hopefully he is more physical. More weight doesn’t necessarily mean stronger, but obviously it helps. KD is 240 and still a string bean who can’t bench 185.
He couldn't bench 185 when he came out of Texas, he benches over 235 pounds now.
Oh cool, he can almost bench his body weight.
Who gives a fuck what he can bench? He’s arguably the best basketball player on the planet.

The Incredible Hawk

Will Spineboard You
Reaction score

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Strength is important, but a guy like Durant will never put up an impressive number. Look at his build.

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Reaction score
Fredrick is going to be good, even as a freshman. If he continues to get stronger he'll be a very good shooting guard--meaning not just a shooter, but someone who can do some playmaking.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
Fredrick is going to be good, even as a freshman. If he continues to get stronger he'll be a very good shooting guard--meaning not just a shooter, but someone who can do some playmaking.

In fairness, he should see limited minutes next year, but hope he can jump right in to Jordan’s role after he graduates

Reaction score
250?

freals?
Kevin Durant is an elite athlete who is built like a greyhound with a powerful core (legs/hips). His natural, tensile strength doesn’t translate to weight room strength because he probably had never picked up a barbell until he was tested at the NBA combine. I think he was only 19 when he entered the NBA and was still growing. He’s gotten thicker naturally over the years and it shows.

The dude is wiry strong and is explosively athletic for a dude pushing nearly 7ft tall.

Hawkeye_Pierce

May Have Fondled a Tranny
Reaction score
Saw Cook listed in the 40s in a recent mock draft. I’m assuming he’d go if that’s accurate.