**2018 Iowa Basketball Offseason Thread**

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Joined
Jan 21, 2015
Messages
28,811
Reaction score
-30,212
Ahmad has to be at least a little creeped out by Scott
 

HerkyHopeful

Member
Joined
May 27, 2014
Messages
14,092
Reaction score
6,946
Ahmad has to be at least a little creeped out by Scott
Scott may be the reason why Ahmad would choose another school.

"I really wanted to play D1 and stay at Iowa, but I couldn't get past the fact that HE would still be at every practice, game, interview, and shower"
 

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
74,290
Reaction score
17,814
He claims all the info he was given has come true at this point and thinks Cook will stay in the draft, Pemsl is on the fence and was cryptic about the other 2, specifically Moss.
Well no shit, that's why he's vague as hell with his "predictions".
 

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
74,290
Reaction score
17,814
This is Randy Petersen level embarrassing. It isn't even reporting, it is literally trying to will a fantasy to happen. What a pathetic loser.

Frankly, it’s mutually beneficial for Wagner to play wide receiver at Iowa. The Hawkeyes have a need at split end, and both the football staff and Wagner know each other well. Wagner could finish earning his degree, work with the team right now and compete for snaps this spring. If it doesn’t work out after this fall, he could always leave as a graduate transfer for his final season.

Wagner is a physical presence with high character and solid leadership qualities. He competed against terrific athletes in the post and often held his own. He has a chance to begin something special as a receiver in college and perhaps enhance his qualities professionally. Former college basketball players such as Jimmy Graham, Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates turned into All-Pro tight ends. Former Penn State forward Ross Travis switched sports after his basketball career and became an NFL tight end. Even former Western Kentucky forward George Fant turned into a starting NFL tackle with the Seattle Seahawks.

Those examples show Wagner he can switch from decent basketball player to upper-level football player. Now he has two years left to prove it.
Cringe thread.
 

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
28,027
Reaction score
10,828
He claims all the info he was given has come true at this point and thinks Cook will stay in the draft, Pemsl is on the fence and was cryptic about the other 2, specifically Moss.
Well no shit, that's why he's vague as hell with his "predictions".
This reads like I was trusting him. I didn’t intend that, he was fucking terrible on the podcast and still thinks Wagner could redshirt at another school and have an additional 2 years to play. He doesn’t understand 1 of the last 3 years counts as a redshirt and you have 5 years to play 4.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,301
Reaction score
27,963
That Dochterman guy is a fucking turd.
I love that he doesn't even consider the fact that Wagner in basketball shape is 6'7'' 235 pounds.

That makes him bigger than Calvin Johnson (6'5'' 236 pounds) and he hasn't even done football workouts. He is much, much more likely to be a TE at the college or pro level.

Wagner might end up being a good player, but Dochterman has lost it. He is pretty much running around screaming that Wagner would be the best receiver in the Big Ten right now even though he has only played 1 year of football ever and hasn't played in nearly 4 years and never even looked at a college playbook or run a proper route.
 

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Joined
Oct 16, 2017
Messages
29,428
Reaction score
30,381
I want Wagner to try WR at Iowa, hell maybe he could see playing time and help, but damn Scott.
 

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
28,027
Reaction score
10,828
'Ohio State Recruiting Reporters'

Tom Kakert is a 'Recruiting Reporter'
 

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Joined
Jun 6, 2013
Messages
7,690
Reaction score
-6,599
That Dochterman guy is a fucking turd.
I love that he doesn't even consider the fact that Wagner in basketball shape is 6'7'' 235 pounds.

That makes him bigger than Calvin Johnson (6'5'' 236 pounds) and he hasn't even done football workouts. He is much, much more likely to be a TE at the college or pro level.

Wagner might end up being a good player, but Dochterman has lost it. He is pretty much running around screaming that Wagner would be the best receiver in the Big Ten right now even though he has only played 1 year of football ever and hasn't played in nearly 4 years and never even looked at a college playbook or run a proper route.
He played up until 8th grade and then took three years off when he transferred.

That said, as much as I'd love to see him give it a go, him seeing live game action at Iowa would be a minor miracle.
 

Tugboat

Berntard
Joined
Aug 6, 2014
Messages
8,909
Reaction score
-8,206
Wagner will never play a snap for Iowa. He’s so far behind he can’t possibly catch up enough to play at Iowa. Never mind the fact that Iowa is stacked at TE.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,301
Reaction score
27,963
Best WR in the Big Ten? Oh my God.
That Dochterman guy is a fucking turd.
I love that he doesn't even consider the fact that Wagner in basketball shape is 6'7'' 235 pounds.

That makes him bigger than Calvin Johnson (6'5'' 236 pounds) and he hasn't even done football workouts. He is much, much more likely to be a TE at the college or pro level.

Wagner might end up being a good player, but Dochterman has lost it. He is pretty much running around screaming that Wagner would be the best receiver in the Big Ten right now even though he has only played 1 year of football ever and hasn't played in nearly 4 years and never even looked at a college playbook or run a proper route.
He played up until 8th grade and then took three years off when he transferred.

That said, as much as I'd love to see him give it a go, him seeing live game action at Iowa would be a minor miracle.
Playing in middle school doesn't count.
 

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Joined
Sep 29, 2014
Messages
12,107
Reaction score
3,189
If Wagner is serious about being a WR, he should run as fast as he can away from Iowa City
 

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
74,290
Reaction score
17,814
LOFL. He might have been capable of being an impact WR out of high school but Dougie is right. He hasn't played WR in 4 years.
 

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Joined
Jun 6, 2013
Messages
7,690
Reaction score
-6,599
Best WR in the Big Ten? Oh my God.
I love that he doesn't even consider the fact that Wagner in basketball shape is 6'7'' 235 pounds.

That makes him bigger than Calvin Johnson (6'5'' 236 pounds) and he hasn't even done football workouts. He is much, much more likely to be a TE at the college or pro level.

Wagner might end up being a good player, but Dochterman has lost it. He is pretty much running around screaming that Wagner would be the best receiver in the Big Ten right now even though he has only played 1 year of football ever and hasn't played in nearly 4 years and never even looked at a college playbook or run a proper route.
He played up until 8th grade and then took three years off when he transferred.

That said, as much as I'd love to see him give it a go, him seeing live game action at Iowa would be a minor miracle.
Playing in middle school doesn't count.
Fair enough
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,301
Reaction score
27,963
'Ohio State Recruiting Reporters'

Tom Kakert is a 'Recruiting Reporter'
You don't understand. He talked to them and to some high school coaches as well. Despite a year of football in high school and not playing for the last 3+ years, he totally would be the best WR in the Big Ten.
 

Tugboat

Berntard
Joined
Aug 6, 2014
Messages
8,909
Reaction score
-8,206
“Hey Ahmad, you have to block Epenesa in this formation”
 

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
74,290
Reaction score
17,814
Don't get me wrong, Iowa should be willing to give him a shot. It's not like we're drowning in WR talent. But this best in the Big Ten stuff is just nonsense.
 

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
45,928
Reaction score
3,184
I mean seriously.
 

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Joined
Jan 21, 2015
Messages
28,811
Reaction score
-30,212
Jfc Scott. Embarrassing. He gets a little push back on Wagner and loses his mind.
 

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Joined
Sep 29, 2014
Messages
12,107
Reaction score
3,189
He has to be a TE. Plenty of good NFL TE's played basketball in college.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,301
Reaction score
27,963
LOFL. He might have been capable of being an impact WR out of high school but Dougie is right. He hasn't played WR in 4 years.
I honestly think his options to get a scholarship from a FBS program are going to be extremely limited. How many programs are going to want to burn 2 years of scholarship on a player that not only hasn't played for nearly 4 years (and will be nearly 5 years by the time he can actually play) knowing he has to redshirt next year?

My guess is his options are going to be either play for and FCS school like Youngstown State or Iowa will let him walk on this summer.
 

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Joined
Jun 6, 2013
Messages
7,690
Reaction score
-6,599
He has to be a TE. Plenty of good NFL TE's played basketball in college.
That's the thing - this might work if Iowa didn't have what might be the deepest tight end corps in the country. But it does, so it won't.
 

Tugboat

Berntard
Joined
Aug 6, 2014
Messages
8,909
Reaction score
-8,206
Seems like Scott is on standard beat writer personality progression.
He’s nowhere near Randy territory, however this Wagner stuff is embarrassing.

Kakert and Pharty or so horrific, the rest of the Iowa media doesn’t seem so bad.
 

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Joined
Oct 22, 2007
Messages
40,726
Reaction score
-6,030
WR would be his best option because it's a bit easier to step into that position. But he is not a college WR, and he isn't playing TE at Iowa.
 

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,651
Reaction score
-14,426
Skimming through the HR podcast. Kakert thinks more are leaving but not Nunge, bohannon, Garza and obviously Baer and Connor. Thinks Kriener back also. Leaves Pemsl, Dailey and Moss. Said he thinks the other guys are fence sitting but if it happens it will be soon and not drag out.
Kakert is just throwing darts again. Most people on here seem to think it is possible more leave and have mentioned Pemsl and Dailey. Kakert doesn’t know shit.
I was wondering why someone like Hiawatha, CamelTones (or anyone for that matter) would listen to anything Kakert said after all of the revelations that he didn’t know shit recently. Not that this is a new thing, but it has really been bad lately.

Anyone giving that site clicks, views, and even worse $9.99 a month is blowing it.
 

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,651
Reaction score
-14,426
WR would be his best option because it's a bit easier to step into that position. But he is not a college WR, and he isn't playing TE at Iowa.
I disagree. I honestly think his best option would be on defense. From what we’ve seen of him on the court he isn’t fast, cannot catch, and is clumsy. I think putting on some weight and being used on the DL as a edge rusher would be his best bet.
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
Catching a football is different than catching a basketball and he's definitely fast. He was a sprinter and an awesome kick returner in high school.

If he'd decided he wanted to play football out of high school he'd have been the highest rated WR prospect Iowa has signed in I don't even know how long
 
Last edited:

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Joined
Jan 21, 2015
Messages
28,811
Reaction score
-30,212
WR would be his best option because it's a bit easier to step into that position. But he is not a college WR, and he isn't playing TE at Iowa.
I disagree. I honestly think his best option would be on defense. From what we’ve seen of him on the court he isn’t fast, cannot catch, and is clumsy. I think putting on some weight and being used on the DL as a edge rusher would be his best bet.
:icon_neutral:
 

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Joined
Oct 22, 2007
Messages
40,726
Reaction score
-6,030
Defensive end on long 3rd down situations, maybe. But never on a regular basis. There is way too much to learn and read at that position. Epenesa is a physical freak who struggled at times making the right call.
 

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
74,290
Reaction score
17,814
Getting a lot of Jimmy Graham/Marcus Pollard talk on Twitter. LOL
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,301
Reaction score
27,963
WR would be his best option because it's a bit easier to step into that position. But he is not a college WR, and he isn't playing TE at Iowa.
I disagree. I honestly think his best option would be on defense. From what we’ve seen of him on the court he isn’t fast, cannot catch, and is clumsy. I think putting on some weight and being used on the DL as a edge rusher would be his best bet.
Come on man. That is Dochterman like in the opposite way.
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
"Best WR in the big ten" is obviously dumb but Iowa's best WR last year was a walk on who had 500 yards. It doesn't seem that crazy to suggest that Wagner has the potential to help there given the talent he showed in high school and obvious size/athleticism
 

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
22,605
Reaction score
4,440
Catching a football is different than catching a basketball and he's definitely fast. He was a sprinter and an awesome kick returner in high school.

If he'd decided he'd wanted to play football out of high school he'd have been the highest rated WR prospect Iowa has signed in I don't even know how long
I'll concede that had he focused on FB in high school, he might have been something special- he certainly has some physical attributes. But he didn't, and Scott is a dim bulb.
 

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,651
Reaction score
-14,426
WR would be his best option because it's a bit easier to step into that position. But he is not a college WR, and he isn't playing TE at Iowa.
I disagree. I honestly think his best option would be on defense. From what we’ve seen of him on the court he isn’t fast, cannot catch, and is clumsy. I think putting on some weight and being used on the DL as a edge rusher would be his best bet.
Come on man. That is Dochterman like in the opposite way.
I don’t want him on the Iowa Football team, because I don’t think he would be any good period. But I’ve said that time and time again.
 

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
74,290
Reaction score
17,814
I disagree. I honestly think his best option would be on defense. From what we’ve seen of him on the court he isn’t fast, cannot catch, and is clumsy. I think putting on some weight and being used on the DL as a edge rusher would be his best bet.
Come on man. That is Dochterman like in the opposite way.
I don’t want him on the Iowa Football team, because I don’t think he would be any good period. But I’ve said that time and time again.
Okay, sorry @Bob. Here's one.
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
Catching a football is different than catching a basketball and he's definitely fast. He was a sprinter and an awesome kick returner in high school.

If he'd decided he'd wanted to play football out of high school he'd have been the highest rated WR prospect Iowa has signed in I don't even know how long
I'll concede that had he focused on FB in high school, he might have been something special- he certainly has some physical attributes. But he didn't, and Scott is a dim bulb.
Even with just one year he'd have been a huge recruit if he hadn't told everyone he wanted to stick with basketball. He got four stars from 247, at least one SEC offer, and had OSU trying to talk him into playing football for them instead. And that was with him telling everyone up front that he didn't want to play football and without doing the camp circuit and all that shit.

He's definitely playing catch-up so acting like he's going to instantly be Calvin Johnson is crazy, but so is completing writing off the possibility that he could be pretty good (or at least good enough to possibly contribute somewhere like Iowa)

Come on man. That is Dochterman like in the opposite way.
I don’t want him on the Iowa Football team, because I don’t think he would be any good period. But I’ve said that time and time again.
Okay, sorry @Bob. Here's one.
Lol.

I don't know there seems to be lots of people who think suggesting he has any chance at all to be good is crazy, which I don't get, even though I'll concede that Dochterman is being way over the top the other direction
 

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,651
Reaction score
-14,426
Come on man. That is Dochterman like in the opposite way.
I don’t want him on the Iowa Football team, because I don’t think he would be any good period. But I’ve said that time and time again.
Okay, sorry @Bob. Here's one.
Yes, here’s one. I like the talent we have at WR right now. He certainly doesn’t make any sense at TE. I just don’t think the timing is right for him or KF. And I would think that if KF thought he could help, it would be a done deal already. Iowa seems like the most obvious choice if there is mutual interest.
 

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
74,290
Reaction score
17,814
Definitely a crazy idea to give Wagner a shot to be Iowa's #5 WR over a talent like Kyle Groeneweg.
 
Top