**2018 Iowa Basketball Offseason Thread**

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,247
Reaction score
1,538
L Wade, I say this with all due respect. You are a fucking retard.
Maybe, but I am still far ahead of the guy that just declared for the draft
How does it hurt? He gets evaluated. He is told he isn’t good enough or not ready. They tell him what he sucks at. Hopefully, he takes it to heart and works on it. That benefits him and the Iowa basketball team.
Sure, that’s possible.
 

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Joined
Mar 23, 2010
Messages
8,355
Reaction score
-1,948
The wave of declarations without agents continues. Today's declarants include Kris Wilkes of UCLA, PJ Washington of Kentucky, a couple of solid players from Nevada, and Ethan Happ. Ray Spalding of Louisville also declared and will hire an agent.

Also, after getting canned as HC at Missouri State, former Hawk Paul Lusk has been hired as an assistant at Creighton.
 
Last edited:

Fritz Fequiere

something feels off when he has sex with his wife.
Joined
May 15, 2014
Messages
2,232
Reaction score
-1,130
Hopefully the feedback will be to transfer to a mid-major.
 

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Joined
Jun 6, 2013
Messages
7,690
Reaction score
-6,599
They are going to tell him, "be more aggressive and play better defense of you want a shot."

Then he is going to spend the summer working on being more aggressive and playing better defense.
 

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Joined
Jun 6, 2013
Messages
7,690
Reaction score
-6,599
Everyone laughing at this is an idiot. If I was a head coach I would make it mandatory for every sophomore who plays over 15 minutes to go through the evaluation process. No swifter kick in the pants.
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
Everyone laughing at this is an idiot. If I was a head coach I would make it mandatory for every sophomore who plays over 15 minutes to go through the evaluation process. No swifter kick in the pants.
Yeah agreed. There is literally no downside to doing it, I don't get the criticism at all.
 

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Joined
Oct 20, 2007
Messages
53,335
Reaction score
-12,510
At some point, they're going to have to make this evaluation process invite only.
 

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Joined
Oct 20, 2007
Messages
53,335
Reaction score
-12,510
Why? What does this hurt?
I'm guessing they don't want to evaluate a bunch of guys for the NBA who have absolutely ZERO chance of playing in the NBA.

Moss has as much of a chance of playing in the NBA as the average Hooters waitress.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,281
Reaction score
27,934
Why? What does this hurt?
I'm guessing they don't want to evaluate a bunch of guys for the NBA who have absolutely ZERO chance of playing in the NBA.

Moss has as much of a chance of playing in the NBA as the average Hooters waitress.
I was thinking this earlier.

Sure, everyone can declare, but unless I am missing something the "process" is seeing if you got invited to Chicago for the combine and if teams want to put you through an individual workout or evaluation after.

Peter Jok was a 2nd team All-Big Ten player as a junior and was I think the last invite to Chicago and only 2 teams worked him out. That was the first year when not all that many took advantage of the new rule.

Now you have a couple hundred players doing this with 90% of them with no shot to be drafted. Only a select few get invited to Chicago and can't see any team wanting to fly someone like Moss in for a workout.
 

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Joined
Sep 1, 2010
Messages
11,239
Reaction score
8,057
Can Iowa hold a “pro day” and invite teams to campus to watch these guys workout? If so, I think that would be beneficial.

Otherwise from what Doug says, how do they get any feedback aside from getting laughed at and not invited?
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,281
Reaction score
27,934
Here is the best explanation I can find of how everything works.

Not getting a combine invite is pretty much seals you won't have any shot of being drafted. So something to look for if Cook gets and invite or not.

If you don't get a combine invite, your "advisor" or college coach can help facilitate logistics to get you to a workout or a workout on campus. Basically maybe Fran has a couple of strings he can pull to get a workout for Cook and/or Moss off site or have someone come on campus.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2018/04/02/kentucky-basketball-nba-draft-decision-deadline-combine/477226002/
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,247
Reaction score
1,538
Everyone laughing at this is an idiot. If I was a head coach I would make it mandatory for every sophomore who plays over 15 minutes to go through the evaluation process. No swifter kick in the pants.
Yeah I definitely want all my players preparing for a fantasy at best draft workout instead of my own weight program and going to class.
 

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
28,020
Reaction score
10,799
Isaiah Moss is going through an NBA evaluation and Jordan bohannon is going to be playing Fortnite with Barstool Iowa on Twitch tomorrow night.

What a time to be alive.
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
Everyone laughing at this is an idiot. If I was a head coach I would make it mandatory for every sophomore who plays over 15 minutes to go through the evaluation process. No swifter kick in the pants.
Yeah I definitely want all my players preparing for a fantasy at best draft workout instead of my own weight program and going to class.
where do you think he's going to be working out at?

Tons of players have managed to pull this off and come back without incident. Including recent Iowa players! Stop being such a moron
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,247
Reaction score
1,538
I know Fran is going to be publicly supportive, but any player off-season regimen that does not involve program specific training at this point is really stupid. They were 4-14 in conference for chrissakes. Take a break from playing, clear your mind, and get in the weight room. It’s hard to do any meaningful strength training in-season.

I don’t care what fran says in public, it’s selfish for someone at moss’ talent level to waste time on this shit.
 
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
9,345
Reaction score
-557
I'm buying into theory that these guys are fence riding hoping NCAA transfer rules are changed by time they have to come back.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,281
Reaction score
27,934
Everyone laughing at this is an idiot. If I was a head coach I would make it mandatory for every sophomore who plays over 15 minutes to go through the evaluation process. No swifter kick in the pants.
Yeah I definitely want all my players preparing for a fantasy at best draft workout instead of my own weight program and going to class.
They are required to go to class still (or at least not miss any class because of workouts) and Moss will likely be going through all his workouts on campus.
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
I know Fran is going to be publicly supportive, but any player off-season regimen that does not involve program specific training at this point is really stupid. They were 4-14 in conference for chrissakes. Take a break from playing, clear your mind, and get in the weight room. It’s hard to do any meaningful strength training in-season.

I don’t care what fran says in public, it’s selfish for someone at moss’ talent level to waste time on this shit.
Why do you think someone trying to make the fucking NBA is going to suddenly stop lifting weights?
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,281
Reaction score
27,934
I'm buying into theory that these guys are fence riding hoping NCAA transfer rules are changed by time they have to come back.
What the fuck are you talking about? If they change something, it won't go into effect until next year at the earliest. They also are never going to drop the requirement you have to sit out 1 year unless you are a graduate transfer or your coach leaves.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,281
Reaction score
27,934
I know Fran is going to be publicly supportive, but any player off-season regimen that does not involve program specific training at this point is really stupid. They were 4-14 in conference for chrissakes. Take a break from playing, clear your mind, and get in the weight room. It’s hard to do any meaningful strength training in-season.

I don’t care what fran says in public, it’s selfish for someone at moss’ talent level to waste time on this shit.
Why do you think someone trying to make the fucking NBA is going to suddenly stop lifting weights?
No shit, if anything they are going to be strength training a lot more.
 

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
45,907
Reaction score
3,166
Let’s read into things.
 

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,649
Reaction score
-14,437
PSA: Jarrod Uthoff and the Fort Wayne Mad Ants are playing in the G-League playoffs right now on ESPNU.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,281
Reaction score
27,934
I know Fran is going to be publicly supportive, but any player off-season regimen that does not involve program specific training at this point is really stupid. They were 4-14 in conference for chrissakes. Take a break from playing, clear your mind, and get in the weight room. It’s hard to do any meaningful strength training in-season.

I don’t care what fran says in public, it’s selfish for someone at moss’ talent level to waste time on this shit.
Fran likely welcomes it. These guys get to hear a different voice telling them what he is already saying or better. They also will be on a heavy workout schedule.

It also isn't like they are going to be going through this until July or some shit, they will know by May 21st if they are in our out. They have the whole summer and fall to workout still.
 

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,649
Reaction score
-14,437
So long as both Cook and Moss are on path to be eligible next season it is the best possible news for Fran. These scouts aren’t going to worry about treading lightly in their criticism and it will be a valuable experience for both of them.
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,247
Reaction score
1,538
I know Fran is going to be publicly supportive, but any player off-season regimen that does not involve program specific training at this point is really stupid. They were 4-14 in conference for chrissakes. Take a break from playing, clear your mind, and get in the weight room. It’s hard to do any meaningful strength training in-season.

I don’t care what fran says in public, it’s selfish for someone at moss’ talent level to waste time on this shit.
Fran likely welcomes it. These guys get to hear a different voice telling them what he is already saying or better. They also will be on a heavy workout schedule.

It also isn't like they are going to be going through this until July or some shit, they will know by May 21st if they are in our out. They have the whole summer and fall to workout still.
Fair enough.

Still though, don’t overthink it. This is fucking stupid for Moss to waste time on.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,281
Reaction score
27,934
I know Fran is going to be publicly supportive, but any player off-season regimen that does not involve program specific training at this point is really stupid. They were 4-14 in conference for chrissakes. Take a break from playing, clear your mind, and get in the weight room. It’s hard to do any meaningful strength training in-season.

I don’t care what fran says in public, it’s selfish for someone at moss’ talent level to waste time on this shit.
Fran likely welcomes it. These guys get to hear a different voice telling them what he is already saying or better. They also will be on a heavy workout schedule.

It also isn't like they are going to be going through this until July or some shit, they will know by May 21st if they are in our out. They have the whole summer and fall to workout still.
Fair enough.

Still though, don’t overthink it. This is fucking stupid for Moss to waste time on.
Stop it. There is no negative to any of this. Stop trying to make up a reason it isn't anything but a positive.
 

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,649
Reaction score
-14,437
I know Fran is going to be publicly supportive, but any player off-season regimen that does not involve program specific training at this point is really stupid. They were 4-14 in conference for chrissakes. Take a break from playing, clear your mind, and get in the weight room. It’s hard to do any meaningful strength training in-season.

I don’t care what fran says in public, it’s selfish for someone at moss’ talent level to waste time on this shit.
Fran likely welcomes it. These guys get to hear a different voice telling them what he is already saying or better. They also will be on a heavy workout schedule.

It also isn't like they are going to be going through this until July or some shit, they will know by May 21st if they are in our out. They have the whole summer and fall to workout still.
Fair enough.

Still though, don’t overthink it. This is fucking stupid for Moss to waste time on.
Why? Consider it like going to a job fair in college and making some contacts. And they’ll give him valuable insight on what he needs to do to accomplish his goal of playing in the NBA.
 

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,649
Reaction score
-14,437
PSA: Jarrod Uthoff and the Fort Wayne Mad Ants are playing in the G-League playoffs right now on ESPNU.
Uthoff has already been really impressive so far. Making wonderful passes.
 

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,649
Reaction score
-14,437

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,247
Reaction score
1,538
We will have to agree to disagree then.

Its fine for cook, who I view as a legit prospect.

It’s retarded for moss. It’s selfish and I bet a good number of teammates are rolling their eyes behind his back. I dunno, maybe the process involves more work with your teammates than I realize.
 

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Joined
Jun 6, 2013
Messages
7,690
Reaction score
-6,599
Don't be a dipshit, L. Wade. That's like saying it would be a waste of time for Doug to go to dinner with Steven Spielberg.

Having the best in your chosen field provide you with constructive criticism is always time worth spent, no matter how much you suck. No offense, Isiah and Doug.
 

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,649
Reaction score
-14,437
We will have to agree to disagree then.

Its fine for cook, who I view as a legit prospect.

It’s retarded for moss. It’s selfish and I bet a good number of teammates are rolling their eyes behind his back. I dunno, maybe the process involves more work with your teammates than I realize.
Where do you think he’ll be preparing? The Field House?
 

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Joined
May 1, 2016
Messages
49,742
Reaction score
35,234
I’m front of my halo family, I would like to take this chance to announce that I will be taking this opportunity to be evaluated by the nba.
 
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
9,345
Reaction score
-557
I'm buying into theory that these guys are fence riding hoping NCAA transfer rules are changed by time they have to come back.
What the fuck are you talking about? If they change something, it won't go into effect until next year at the earliest. They also are never going to drop the requirement you have to sit out 1 year unless you are a graduate transfer or your coach leaves.
Last I heard that they were voting on it soon, and it might take effect in August this year.
 

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
14,987
Reaction score
3,452
They are going to tell him, "be more aggressive and play better defense of you want a shot."

Then he is going to spend the summer working on being more aggressive and playing better defense.
This would be great, but I’m curious as to if they watch enough film to even be able to tell him that. There’s only so much time they can allocate to reviewing Moss vs the other hundreds of guys. I guess they would talk to Fran and that message could come through that way. I’d love for that to be the end result though.
 

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Joined
Mar 23, 2010
Messages
8,355
Reaction score
-1,948
Of course there's nothing wrong with Moss getting an evaluation of his pro basketball prospects, and a disappointing evaluation could light a fire under a player who needs that. I don't know what the odds of him coming back were to begin with, but under the circumstances I think this decision suggests a substantial possibility that he won't be back for reasons other than an encouraging evaluation. I hope it doesn't turn out that way, because I still have hope that he'll make more of his talent than he has thus far.
 

Tugboat

Berntard
Joined
Aug 6, 2014
Messages
8,909
Reaction score
-8,206
Don't be a dipshit, L. Wade. That's like saying it would be a waste of time for Doug to go to dinner with Steven Spielberg.

Having the best in your chosen field provide you with constructive criticism is always time worth spent, no matter how much you suck. No offense, Isiah and Doug.
Orville Redenbacher is a better analogy but we get what you’re saying.
 

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Joined
Jun 6, 2013
Messages
7,690
Reaction score
-6,599
Don't be a dipshit, L. Wade. That's like saying it would be a waste of time for Doug to go to dinner with Steven Spielberg.

Having the best in your chosen field provide you with constructive criticism is always time worth spent, no matter how much you suck. No offense, Isiah and Doug.
Orville Redenbacher is a better analogy but we get what you’re saying.
Fuck me.
 

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
74,290
Reaction score
17,814
Maybe an NBA scout will tell Moss "Hey man you need to stop pump faking into long 2s".
 

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,649
Reaction score
-14,437
Uthoff is heating up, but his squad got blitzed early.
 
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
9,345
Reaction score
-557
If Moss is entering the draft, why isn't bohannon?

Jordan bohannon has a better shot at the NBA than Moss at this point.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,281
Reaction score
27,934
If Moss is entering the draft, why isn't bohannon?

Jordan bohannon has a better shot at the NBA than Moss at this point.
No way.

Moss may be a dumbfuck, but he has legit length, range and athleticism.
 

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Joined
Sep 1, 2010
Messages
11,239
Reaction score
8,057
Maybe an NBA scout will tell Moss "Hey man you need to stop pump faking into long 2s".
Maybe they laugh in his face and crush his dreams. Then he puts on 25lbs of Haloman blubber in the offseason and drops out of school since basketball isn’t going to take him anywhere further in life.

Hopefully it’s your thing though.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,281
Reaction score
27,934
This is some terrible basketball. 3 missed layups in a row.
 
Top