**2018 Iowa Basketball Offseason Thread**

JD720

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Oct 21, 2007
Messages
7,275
Reaction score
1,516
Could Wagner play at an FBS school (other than Iowa) this fall or would he have to sit out?
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,304
Reaction score
27,967
Here is me to all of you after today!!

 

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
74,290
Reaction score
17,814
How could anyone be upset about either of these?
 

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
38,563
Reaction score
-6,123
I would be 100% ok if kirk took Ahmad and Fran let him stay on the team as a walk on and come out for senior day.
 
Joined
Feb 28, 2013
Messages
405
Reaction score
-203
Not to be Debbie Downer after all this great news but Iowa could potentially have 2 black guys on the team next year.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,304
Reaction score
27,967
Not to be Debbie Downer after all this great news but Iowa could potentially have 2 black guys on the team next year.
Possibly, but I bet Fran goes out and gets at least 1 if not 2 black guys this spring.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,304
Reaction score
27,967
Pemsl or Dailey seem like the other realistic possibilities.

The way Kreiner ended the season and knowing he is the only back up center and the fact he has a girlfriend here means he isn't going anywhere.
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,268
Reaction score
1,533
Pemsl or Dailey seem like the other realistic possibilities.

The way Kreiner ended the season and knowing he is the only back up center and the fact he has a girlfriend here means he isn't going anywhere.
Maybe it’s a sham relationship and he’s becoming comfortable with who he is.
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
Dude should go to Northern Iowa.
Iowa coaches have been talking to him about playing football forever, there's gotta be a pretty decent change he stays. He's obviously playing catch up now but if he'd decided to play football coming out of high school he would have been the highest rated WR recruit on Iowa's roster pretty easily. I'd be totally cool giving him a shot, it's not like it's going to hurt anything.
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,226
Reaction score
51,883
Dude should go to Northern Iowa.
Iowa coaches have been talking to him about playing football forever, there's gotta be a pretty decent change he stays. He's obviously playing catch up now but if he'd decided to play football coming out of high school he would have been the highest rated WR recruit on Iowa's roster pretty easily. I'd be totally cool giving him a shot, it's not like it's going to hurt anything.
Oh, I totally agree. Just thought he might want to move on somewhere else. Would be happy with us giving him a chance. Couldn't hurt.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,304
Reaction score
27,967
Dude should go to Northern Iowa.
Iowa coaches have been talking to him about playing football forever, there's gotta be a pretty decent change he stays. He's obviously playing catch up now but if he'd decided to play football coming out of high school he would have been the highest rated WR recruit on Iowa's roster pretty easily. I'd be totally cool giving him a shot, it's not like it's going to hurt anything.
I'm guessing he would want to stay here if he could play. He is going to be working out I would think with Doyle and the football team this spring on some level, so maybe they see how he progresses and if they both think it is a fit he stays and goes through camp this summer.
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,226
Reaction score
51,883
Guessing for some reason Pemsl stays and Maishe goes. And that will be it. I think we will even get Cook back.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,304
Reaction score
27,967
Here is the roster as of now.....

bohannon / Connor
Moss / Frederick
Wieskamp / Dailey
Nunge / Pemsl / Baer
Garza / Kreiner

Here is the best case potential roster....

bohannon / Connor
Moss / Juco or Grad Transfer / Frederick
Wieskamp / Dailey
Cook / Nunge / Baer
Garza / Kreiner

You would have shooting and scoring threats at all 5 positions. Ball handling and defense would be much better as well.
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,226
Reaction score
51,883
Those 2014 and 2015 recruiting classes look a little rough in retrospect. Like straight up vomit. :icon_biggrin: This is why we have been sort of shitty, more than anything.

Luckily the last couple have been much better.
 

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Joined
Mar 23, 2010
Messages
8,355
Reaction score
-1,948
Dochterman just came in his pants.

I'm happy for Wagner. It's probably a huge longshot for him to ge to the NFL, but I hope he tries it at Iowa (didn't see anything as to where he'll play) and beats the odds. His career hoops highlight was his play at the end of the game at Wisconsin last year--which at least gave us all some legitimate hope of making the NCAA tournament for a week or so. It's too bad we couldn't win one in the BTT, but it was still good to have realistic hope of getting in.

I haven't followed the scholarship numbers closely--with Ellingson leaving and Wagner's scholarship opening up, assuming Connor gets one of those two scholarships, do we have a ride open now if we can add a good player this spring, or do we still need one more ride to do that?
 

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
28,029
Reaction score
10,831
I doubt Wagner stays to play football here. He’s probably a year away from contributing and I doubt Kirk is going to use a scholarship for 2 years to get maybe 1 out of Wagner.

I bet he ends up somewhere like Akron.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,304
Reaction score
27,967
Dochterman just came in his pants.

I'm happy for Wagner. It's probably a huge longshot for him to ge to the NFL, but I hope he tries it at Iowa (didn't see anything as to where he'll play) and beats the odds. His career hoops highlight was his play at the end of the game at Wisconsin last year--which at least gave us all some legitimate hope of making the NCAA tournament for a week or so. It's too bad we couldn't win one in the BTT, but it was still good to have realistic hope of getting in.

I haven't followed the scholarship numbers closely--with Ellingson leaving and Wagner's scholarship opening up, assuming Connor gets one of those two scholarships, do we have a ride open now if we can add a good player this spring, or do we still need one more ride to do that?
Connor can get one and they have another open. Possibly 2 if Cook isn't back.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,304
Reaction score
27,967
I doubt Wagner stays to play football here. He’s probably a year away from contributing and I doubt Kirk is going to use a scholarship for 2 years to get maybe 1 out of Wagner.

I bet he ends up somewhere like Akron.
I thought maybe Akron or Youngstown State if he goes FCS.
 

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
38,563
Reaction score
-6,123
2015 ia recruiting class Christian williams, dale jones , brandon hutton, Andrew fleming, wagner and moss, 1 left of a 6 man class, yuck
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,226
Reaction score
51,883
I remember all of us were pretty stoked about that 2015 class. Ended up being a bucket of turds.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,304
Reaction score
27,967
I doubt Wagner stays to play football here. He’s probably a year away from contributing and I doubt Kirk is going to use a scholarship for 2 years to get maybe 1 out of Wagner.

I bet he ends up somewhere like Akron.
Iowa is also 2 over the scholarship limit, so even if they wanted to I doubt they would have the room.
 

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
28,029
Reaction score
10,831
2015 ia recruiting class Christian williams, dale jones , brandon hutton, Andrew fleming, wagner and moss, 1 left of a 6 man class, yuck
Yup, brought in 4 wings, 5 if you include Wagner. Next year brought in 3 front court players and followed that class up with 2 more front court players.

Not great roster management.
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
I doubt Wagner stays to play football here. He’s probably a year away from contributing and I doubt Kirk is going to use a scholarship for 2 years to get maybe 1 out of Wagner.

I bet he ends up somewhere like Akron.
This is probably right but it seems like there are always open football scholarships. They can probably afford to give him one just to see, given the upside there and current state of the WR position

He'd only have one year of eligibility at Akron. If he leaves FCS makes way more sense. Youngstown is a good guess
 

HerkyHopeful

Member
Joined
May 27, 2014
Messages
14,092
Reaction score
6,946
bohannon, Moss, Dailey, Baer, Wieskamp, McCaffery, Fredrick, Nunge, Cook, Pemsl, Garza, Kreiner. One free.

If Frannie found someone else worthy of a scholarship he could pay for Connor and Iowa would have two. So one free.
 

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
28,029
Reaction score
10,831
Spring practice starts today, if he’s not practicing with the team this spring there is 0 chance he’s playing here.

Don’t know why Iowa wouldn’t have him go through practice, see how he looks and go from there. Scholarships always open up after spring as guys realize they’re way down the depth chart.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,304
Reaction score
27,967
Spring practice starts today, if he’s not practicing with the team this spring there is 0 chance he’s playing here.

Don’t know why Iowa wouldn’t have him go through practice, see how he looks and go from there. Scholarships always open up after spring as guys realize they’re way down the depth chart.
I don't think he will end up at Iowa unless he wants to walk on for a year, but not sure if the spring practice is a deal breaker.

He is likely in nowhere near football shape physically or mentally and putting him through that right now might not do anyone much good.

They are going to train him all spring, so I would bet if he starts looking great they would find a way to keep him.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,304
Reaction score
27,967
I am also leaning more that Cook isn't going to be back. Think that could be a factor with Pemsl if he is on the fence. He might be waiting it out to see if he will be back and then decide to transfer in May.

It isn't like Pemsl has to be in a hurry. Same thing with Dailey if Fran picks up another guard or wing.
 

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,651
Reaction score
-14,426
We’re all missing the fact that it has almost been two weeks exactly since Kakert said it was the day all the transfer news would break. He never fails!
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,304
Reaction score
27,967
Now give Andrew Francis a polite shove out the door like you would a baby bird telling them it is time to fly on their own and get a defensive and good recruiting coach.
 
Top