**2018 Iowa Basketball Offseason Thread**

Herbie2

knows things he probably shouldn’t know
Joined
Oct 3, 2015
Messages
7,102
Reaction score
4,428
at least he doesnt claim any inside info
 

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Joined
Aug 13, 2014
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
-826

Iowa media talking about why people hate the media. Precious. This off-season is just further proof that these guys are a bunch of hacks who have no experience with professional sports. It’s crazy that not a single one of them has any legit sources within the program. They go on about how Tyler is out and has been out since they heard he was gone to Missouri mid-season, and not a single one of them has pointed out that it’s actually a good sign for Iowa that through this process, he has not hired an agent.

The best part is that you can tell how butthurt they are that Tyler won’t talk to them and give them interviews. They are now writing editorials about how TC has no chance to be a first rounder in the future. And if/when he comes back, they will be right back to sucking him off and writing first round draft pick articles. Amateur hour.
 

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
38,552
Reaction score
-6,140
I didn’t realize the nba couldn’t give direct feedback to players
 

Fletch

Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2013
Messages
16,911
Reaction score
11,787
No mention of the G league by his mom. He’s coming back.
 

LifelongHawk

Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2010
Messages
6,209
Reaction score
6,329
Leistikow, Farty, Kakert and now whoever this fucking dork is all think Cook won't come back.


Welcome back Tyler!
JFC.

"No inside information, that's just the vibe I've gotten since last talking to him at the Big Ten Tournament."

On the vibe front think he'd be better served by noting TC's own interview instead of the babbling of fellow dolts.

Holy hell Wigginton, I hadn't seen that dunk on Oklahoma, wowser, woulda thought that plus his shooting reel would've gotten a combine invite.
 
Joined
Oct 8, 2011
Messages
1,581
Reaction score
-426
This seems to fly in the face of the story the media is pushing. Shocking. What a bunch of douchebags.

”Of course, Tyler’s education is at the top of the list. He loves his teammates and coaches. It’s been a great place for him to grow. Plus, this team is just starting to scratch the surface and it’s just a matter of time before it comes together. There’s a possibility that this could be a great season,” Stephanie said.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,243
Reaction score
27,865
Leistikow, Farty, Kakert and now whoever this fucking dork is all think Cook won't come back.


Welcome back Tyler!
Dochterman goes on the list as well. Not a single Iowa writer or media person thinks he is coming back.

 
Joined
Feb 2, 2018
Messages
576
Reaction score
-852
Leistikow, Farty, Kakert and now whoever this fucking dork is all think Cook won't come back.


Welcome back Tyler!
Dochterman goes on the list as well. Not a single Iowa writer or media person thinks he is coming back.

I don't get it. IMO he has more reasons to stay than go. Those have been pretty well covered. I just wonder why they ALL think he is gone. Because he won't talk to them anymore?
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,243
Reaction score
27,865
I don't get it. IMO he has more reasons to stay than go. Those have been pretty well covered. I just wonder why they ALL think he is gone. Because he won't talk to them anymore?
Look, it is fine to have gone back and forth on if you think he is leaving or coming back (I certainly did!!), but these are professionals who get paid to cover this stuff for a living.

Maybe he will make a surprising and likely horrendous decision to stay in the draft, but there is a lot more pointing to him coming back.

I will say that the Jayson Tatum thing could certainly be fucking with his head. He is fairly obsessed with his good friend and having to watch him becoming a star and desperately wanting to be playing in the same league might be hard for him to stop thinking about.

Everyone with a brain on a national level thinks it would be a horrendous choice for him to stay in the draft. I am sure the NBA teams are telling him the same thing.

Playing in the G League is a dangerous proposition. If he still isn't scratching even the Top 150 prospects list, he could end up playing a minimal amount of minutes his first year. The idea that he will walk in and play starters minutes is not anywhere near realistic. Most of the G League players are going to be much more experienced and savvy than he is as well. Most of them are 4 year graduates like a Uthoff or Jok that will have years of experience on him, and even they didn't get minutes right away. Uthoff had to be traded to finally get to play. Jok barely played until the end of the season. All of that for like $35k in salary and will only have 2 years of college education.

The smartest decision is come back to Iowa for your Junior year and get 32 minutes per game against great competition. Get another year of free education now under your belt. Then go next year and make your $35k and only have 1 year of school left that you can finish quickly whenever.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,243
Reaction score
27,865
Carson Edwards, Juwan Morgan, Nick Ward and others ranked above Cook all returning.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,243
Reaction score
27,865
I fast forwarded through most of this, but there were some gems.....


- Baer flat out calling Kakert creepy and said "Is this Tom's Creepy Corner?"

- Kakert using nicknames for every player (TC, Sapp, Whitey, Bo) and saying "my peeps tell me" and everyone immediately making fun of him

- Uncomfortable moments when Kakert continued to get creepy asking about players looks

- Randazzo is a huge fucking annoying dork and any relevant question asked he would immediately start talking a bunch over the top of it.

- Kakert trying to act like he is a soccer fan

- More jokes about how creepy Kakert is

- Even more talk of how Kakert "creeps" on young kids

- "Did you watch Kevin Skillet play at Iowa??" "Uh.... we weren't born yet"
 

LifelongHawk

Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2010
Messages
6,209
Reaction score
6,329
"Tom's creepy corner" lol

The Hawkeye bball press corp may find things a little icy in the locker room next year.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,243
Reaction score
27,865
Liestikow really, really doesn't like Tyler Cook.

 

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Joined
Feb 14, 2010
Messages
16,726
Reaction score
9,148
I like Tyler Cook better than I like any of the Iowa writers.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,243
Reaction score
27,865
@eclone any feeling on Wiggington?

Sort of silly that many of these guys are running these decisions around 12 hours before the deadline.
 

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
15,037
Reaction score
-3,379
@eclone any feeling on Wiggington?

Sort of silly that many of these guys are running these decisions around 12 hours before the deadline.
Nobody knows. He retreated to Canada the last couple of weeks after his workouts were done, and no one around the program (at least publicly) has had any indications. Sure seems like he has a lot more upside to come back for a year. He'll still be young and promising, and coming off of a better more consistent year (presumably). Still haven't seen a mock draft for this year with him in the top 50. I have no idea why he's waiting to the last 5 hours to announce, but I don't feel good about it...
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,243
Reaction score
27,865
@eclone any feeling on Wiggington?

Sort of silly that many of these guys are running these decisions around 12 hours before the deadline.
Nobody knows. He retreated to Canada the last couple of weeks after his workouts were done, and no one around the program (at least publicly) has had any indications. Sure seems like he has a lot more upside to come back for a year. He'll still be young and promising, and coming off of a better more consistent year (presumably). Still haven't seen a mock draft for this year with him in the top 50. I have no idea why he's waiting to the last 5 hours to announce, but I don't feel good about it...
I think they have until 11:59pm eastern (@AZmess can confirm that), but get what you mean.

It will be interesting to see what happens. The feeling from the beat writers of both programs seem to be on the opposite sides.
 

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
15,037
Reaction score
-3,379

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
15,037
Reaction score
-3,379
@eclone any feeling on Wiggington?

Sort of silly that many of these guys are running these decisions around 12 hours before the deadline.
Nobody knows. He retreated to Canada the last couple of weeks after his workouts were done, and no one around the program (at least publicly) has had any indications. Sure seems like he has a lot more upside to come back for a year. He'll still be young and promising, and coming off of a better more consistent year (presumably). Still haven't seen a mock draft for this year with him in the top 50. I have no idea why he's waiting to the last 5 hours to announce, but I don't feel good about it...
I think they have until 11:59pm eastern (@AZmess can confirm that), but get what you mean.

It will be interesting to see what happens. The feeling from the beat writers of both programs seem to be on the opposite sides.
And it looks like you're right on the 11:59 Eastern deadline.
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
Huerter is gone
He probably could have helped his stock a bit by coming back since he's still pretty young and next year's draft is likely going to be much weaker, but he's really good and should still be a first rounder, so hard to blame him too much.
Liestikow really, really doesn't like Tyler Cook.

I typically like Lestikow but he's being such a shithead about this, it's really turning me on him. It's bizarre how personally all the Iowa media are taking his decision to test the waters and keep things close to the vest
 

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
45,873
Reaction score
3,122
Huerter is gone
He probably could have helped his stock a bit by coming back since he's still pretty young and next year's draft is likely going to be much weaker, but he's really good and should still be a first rounder, so hard to blame him too much.
Liestikow really, really doesn't like Tyler Cook.

I typically like Lestikow but he's being such a shithead about this, it's really turning me on him. It's bizarre how personally all the Iowa media are taking his decision to test the waters and keep things close to the vest
He's not much during football either.
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
I think he does an okay job with football. The DVR Monday thing he does every week is pretty good and fairly in depth by the standards of something targetted at a fairly broad audience
 

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
45,873
Reaction score
3,122
I think he does an okay job with football. The DVR Monday thing he does every week is pretty good and fairly in depth by the standards of something targetted at a fairly broad audience
I guess I was talking about the tone he gets sometimes.
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
I think he does an okay job with football. The DVR Monday thing he does every week is pretty good and fairly in depth by the standards of something targetted at a fairly broad audience
I guess I was talking about the tone he gets sometimes.
I can't remember him being so openly hostile or condescending to a player before but I might be forgetting something
 

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Joined
Feb 14, 2010
Messages
16,726
Reaction score
9,148
I think he does an okay job with football. The DVR Monday thing he does every week is pretty good and fairly in depth by the standards of something targetted at a fairly broad audience
I guess I was talking about the tone he gets sometimes.
I can't remember him being so openly hostile or condescending to a player before but I might be forgetting something
After a while on Halo, it's hard to keep track of who is or is not openly hostile or condescending.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,243
Reaction score
27,865
The Ethan Happ thing might be something to watch now. Everyone including Rothstein and Goodman ran with the news based off some low level local radio guy, but supposedly he might actually turn pro.

I'm sure he will be back of course.
 

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Joined
Mar 23, 2010
Messages
8,355
Reaction score
-1,948
I would bet that most of the players who haven't been heard from yet are holding off to maximize the "hero effect" with their college fans.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,243
Reaction score
27,865
I would bet that most of the players who haven't been heard from yet are holding off to maximize the "hero effect" with their college fans.
There are only 14 players left out of 150+ at this point and the last bunch sure is drawing it out.
 
Top