2019 recruiting thread

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
I also like how he's showing a little connor/bohannon cocky-ass-prickitude.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I can't see McCaffery doing anything of substance until he's stronger. Use the redshirt. It's there for skinny weak dudes.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I can't see McCaffery doing anything of substance until he's stronger. Use the redshirt. It's there for skinny weak dudes.
This made me laugh but he's not going to be banging down low. The kid is a perimeter player. You can't even touch anyone in college basketball these days. I'd be more worried about his perimeter shooting because we need to spread the floor with our bigs.

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
Doesn't appear to be terribly thinner than Wieskamp was last year. Broad shoulders like Joe too.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
I view him as a rich man’s Baer (@AZmess !!!), especially early in his career. Hopefully he shoots it well enough.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Patrick ended up with 29 points tonight. Some highlights:

And some info:
I’m sure nobody will leave and Fran will be back to playing 13 guys
@Nobody ain’t leaving us but I can guarantee Nicholas Baer is.
well obviously grizzly pits is leaving but if nobody else does I can't wait to watch Fran divided Baers minutes among Pemsl, Nunge, Toussaint, Fredrick and Pat. Even if Cook leaves his minutes should be consumed mostly by the four remaining bigs.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Patrick is very old for his class as he will turn 19 next month. That said you can see that his frame is still growing and I would agree with the creepy shoulders comment. He has clearly added muscle in the upper body.

Berzerkenpas

Reaction score
jfc...when I turned 19 I was halfway through my soph year at iowa....

patrick will be really effective when he's 21-22.

Last edited:

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Gee, it's almost like having cancer might have affected his development.

Berzerkenpas

Reaction score
Gee, it's almost like having cancer might have affected his development.
does anyone here actually question that?

I was just freaked out about his age -- I see that with my students as well. I wish my parents had waited a year to send me to school.

douglasbader

Reaction score
This isn't a "we didn't want him anyways" but anyone else not all that disappointed ultimately that Iowa got Toussiant and not Carton?

I saw a few of Carton's games last year and some stuff this year and he comes off as a whiny pussy that doesn't play hard all the time. Toussiant seems to be a lot tougher and more competitive.

Reaction score
Nah, I think I'd still be good with him. It's so hard to tell from online highlights with point guards. Everything from Joe looks pretty great and analysts out there like him, you just don't know.

I get kind of a Jacob Pullen vibe from his videos/articles. Be pretty awesome if he was close to that obviously.

Reaction score
This isn't a "we didn't want him anyways" but anyone else not all that disappointed ultimately that Iowa got Toussiant and not Carton?

I saw a few of Carton's games last year and some stuff this year and he comes off as a whiny pussy that doesn't play hard all the time. Toussiant seems to be a lot tougher and more competitive.
This is a cyclone level bad take.

Berzerkenpas

Reaction score
what I like about Toussaint:

he is not

a head case spaz like dickerson (who was a two star in HS)
a limited skill set developmental recruit like clemmons
an entitled whiny pissant

he is (or at least looks to be)

tough
hard worker
athletic
strong

most of fran's 3-stars who have the basic skill set for their position have worked out well -- the busts have been the guys who were 2 stars (ellingson, dickerson -- going off his hs and not juco rating), and the guys who didn't really have a skill set for a clear position (wagner, hutton, williams), and the kid who peaked at 16 (fleming).

looking forward to seeing some joe t

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score

Uhhhh not a fucking chance. I’ve seen him play twice this year. Carton is really fucking good.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score

Uhhhh not a fucking chance. I’ve seen him play twice this year. Carton is really fucking good.
you ever play on a team that held serve at the Fieldhouse?

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
I'd take Carton in a second if I could. I know nothing though so take that fwiw.

douglasbader

Reaction score

I didn't say he wasn't really fucking good.

I guess more saying Toussaint is looking a lot better than I expected.

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score

I didn't say he wasn't really fucking good.

I guess more saying Toussaint is looking a lot better than I expected.
Right but you typed a lot of stupid shit to get to that point.

douglasbader

Reaction score

AZmessDAWG

Reaction score
Reaction score

I'm not terribly disappointed either. Carton is a crazy athlete, but he wasn't a polished PG when I saw him last year against Joe and he isn't a great shooter(34.8% this year). He will need to develop his skills, but Ulis was clearly a better player coming out of HS. Carton is still one of the bounciest mfers I have seen on a court.

Reaction score
NYCHoops.net is the Rivals affiliate up there and has had several updates. Their midseason NYC top 10 senior rankings on 1/10 had Joe ranked 2nd. Behind a guy headed to Louisville, ahead of a Syracuse commit and a couple guys who are apparently going to do a prep school year but with offers from Cincinnati and others. Here was Joe's blurb:

"Having led the Cardinals to a great start in CHSAA play this season, Toussaint just put up 34 points in a victory over Msgr. Scanlan on Tuesday afternoon and is averaging just over 23 points per game overall on the season. He is a facilitator and floor general for those around him, while being one of the better lock down defensive guards in New York as well, all of which makes the Iowa signee the easy choice in the number two spot."

Last edited:

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
NYCHoops.net is the Rivals affiliate up there and has had several updates. Their midseason NYC top 10 senior rankings on 1/10 had Joe ranked 2nd. Behind a guy headed to Louisville, ahead of a Syracuse commit and a couple guys who are apparently going to do a prep school year but with offers from Cincinnati and others. Here was Joe's blurb:

"Having led the Cardinals to a great start in CHSAA play this season, Toussaint just put up 34 points in a victory over Msgr. Scanlan on Tuesday afternoon and is averaging just over 23 points per game overall on the season. He is a facilitator and floor general for those around him, while being one of the better lock down defensive guards in New York as well, all of which makes the Iowa signee the easy choice in the number two spot."
Is that good? That seems good.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Just watching Toussaint highlights for the first time. I'm aroused.

He will be better than Carton. Write it down.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Look the fuck out if Patrick is a poor man's Aaron White next year. We are missing a really good transition player right now.

If he's even remotely ready and looks the part, we could fly next year.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Patrick is absolutely a white clone except he’s way better with the ball in the open court.

Bob

Reaction score
Unless he really bulks up I'll be surprised if he can rebound or get to the line like White could but he also seems like he might be able to shoot a bit, which White couldn't aside from that hot steak at the end of his senior year

Reaction score
Unless he really bulks up I'll be surprised if he can rebound or get to the line like White could but he also seems like he might be able to shoot a bit, which White couldn't aside from that hot steak at the end of his senior year
45%(20-44) from 3 this season.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
White wasn’t really any bigger coming in. Pat is bouncy just like White.

Reaction score
They have similarities and Pat is more talented than White coming in. White had incredible instincts though.