2019 recruiting thread

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Patrick is going to get all 19 of Baers minutes and I’m going to hate it
Not sure if serious.
I am. I haven’t seen any video that convinces me he can have any impact as a freshman. I am not a huge fan of his in general but I do recognize that he does have a skill set that could end up being good, I just don’t think it’s this year. I could see Wieskamp having an impact. I could see Cook having an impact. I can even see Toussaint contributing, assuming he gets some decent minutes

My post wasn’t meant as a knock on Patrick, more that I think Fran will play him much more than he should. Probably out of frustration as I think Connor plays more than he should too
You're talking about a 4* recruit who might replace minutes currently used by NICHOLAS FUCKING BAER.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
more that I think Fran will play him much more than he should. Probably out of frustration as I think Connor plays more than he should too
Oh and yeah I agree with you Fran should take Connor's minutes and give them to the other high quality PG on Iowa's roster oh wait.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
I'm glad you enjoy watching connor dribble to nowhere and refusing to shoot. I'm happy for you.

Squat Cobbler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
We don't know yet how good Patrick will be at the D1 level and the statistics show Baer is great in his limited role. He's tied for second on the team in rebounds per game, tied for first in steals, and leads in blocks per game. All while playing only 20 minutes per game. Advanced stats love him too. He's second on the team in win shares per 40 minutes, third in PER, and first by a wide margin in box plus/minus. Just face it, he's incredibly efficient in his limited time on the floor.

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
Patrick is going to score a shit load of points at Iowa. Remember all those alleyoops Aaron White used to dunk on fools? At the absolute least, Patrick can do that starting next year. He is also a better shooter. Why does anyone assume he will suck?

How can Iowa basketball fan be so dumb?

Also, Fran is going to make even the sane Iowa basketball fans stroke out with rotations next year.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Patrick is going to score a shit load of points at Iowa. Remember all those alleyoops Aaron White used to dunk on fools? At the absolute least, Patrick can do that starting next year. He is also a better shooter. Why does anyone assume he will suck?

How can Iowa basketball fan be so dumb?

Also, Fran is going to make even the sane Iowa basketball fans stroke out with rotations next year.
Go to a game. You’ll see.

Reaction score
I'm glad you enjoy watching connor dribble to nowhere and refusing to shoot. I'm happy for you.
I'm glad we have a freshman backup PG who can play decent defense and give us 83 assists to 31 turnovers in about 18 mminute per game. Has the 5th highest assist rate in the league in conference play and a 112 offensive rating on the year.

Then again, we're apparently still waiting for you to learn what a ball screen is.

Reaction score
I'm glad we have a freshman backup PG who can play decent defense and give us 83 assists to 31 turnovers in about 18 mminute per game. Has the 5th highest assist rate in the league in conference play and a 112 offensive rating on the year.

Then again, we're apparently still waiting for you to learn what a ball screen is.
This. He’s got a nice overall game & will only get better. As far as his scoring, he has struggled, but it’s not something he needs to do, playing along bohannon & Weiskamp. Keep in mind he’s a redshirt freshman.

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
We don't know yet how good Patrick will be at the D1 level and the statistics show Baer is great in his limited role. He's tied for second on the team in rebounds per game, tied for first in steals, and leads in blocks per game. All while playing only 20 minutes per game. Advanced stats love him too. He's second on the team in win shares per 40 minutes, third in PER, and first by a wide margin in box plus/minus. Just face it, he's incredibly efficient in his limited time on the floor.
You're barking up the wrong tree on this site. Some halo dork has somehow decided he sucks and that's that. Peak dorky halo.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I'm not knocking Baer's actual production; that's not the point. I'm laughing at the idea of being concerned about Fran's ability to get production out of an incoming recruit when the guy he's replacing was a walk-on. If Patrick McCaffery was any other 4* recruit in the world other than Fran's son, no one would be making these ridiculous statements.

Fritz Fequiere

Reaction score
I will wager any amount of money that next year Patrick isn't as productive as Baer is this year.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I will wager any amount of money that next year Patrick isn't as productive as Baer is this year.
I wouldn't take it because I also think the whole thing is moot as I don't share the fear that Fran is somehow actually going to give him all of Baer's minutes.

Fritz Fequiere

Reaction score
I'm not knocking Baer's actual production; that's not the point. I'm laughing at the idea of being concerned about Fran's ability to get production out of an incoming recruit when the guy he's replacing was a walk-on. If Patrick McCaffery was any other 4* recruit in the world other than Fran's son, no one would be making these ridiculous statements.
Yes, there is laughter.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
You're barking up the wrong tree on this site. Some halo dork has somehow decided he sucks and that's that. Peak dorky halo.
He doesn't suck but to just point to steals and blocks is almost as stupid. Just last night Baer committed a horrible flagrant foul, 2 and-one fouls and failed to close out on Ahrens at least once that I remember but probably multiple times.

Patrick won't have as many steals and blocks but I bet he is a better overall defender day one guarding SF. He also looks to have the ability to drive which this team definitely needs more of offensively.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
He doesn't suck but to just point to steals and blocks is almost as stupid. Just last night Baer committed a horrible flagrant foul, 2 and-one fouls and failed to close out on Ahrens at least once that I remember but probably multiple times.

Patrick won't have as many steals and blocks but I bet he is a better overall defender day one guarding SF. He also looks to have the ability to drive which this team definitely needs more of offensively.
Baer is the most unsound fundamentally walkon ever.

Fritz Fequiere

Reaction score

Can we point to his NINE defensive rebounds or when Fran needed him to play the 4 and he blocked Morgan which essentially opened the door to send the Indiana game into overtime? Strange that Fran thinks enough of him to guard multiple positions but halo thinks he's an awful defender. Look, the average halo man is incredibly dorky so therefore susceptible to not thinking for themselves, but the near unanimity on Baer here is just too much. I can't take it!!

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score

and hes last on the team efg% and and second to last in BPM ahead of the great maishe dailey

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
Patrick and the Iowa City Lads are sent home by the Dubuque Senior newsbreakers.4A is pretty weak this year, could be seniors First State title since the days of black and white TVs

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
He’s terrible again!!

Reaction score
^^^^Saw it was tied at 30 with 3:40 left in the third quarter. That's when I decided (and apparently chose wisely):

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
Patrick and the Iowa City Lads are sent home by the Dubuque Senior newsbreakers.4A is pretty weak this year, could be seniors First State title since the days of black and white TVs
4a is weak this year?

I know the 4a in the METRO is.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
4a is weak this year?

I know the 4a in the METRO is.
It is nice to see the teams from Eastern Iowa do something in one sport. The Metro dominating in baseball, football and wrestling every year gets kind of old

Reaction score
Toussaint's team lost their semifinal tonight. Joe had a pretty good game despite being in foul trouble:
I believe this video has the entire game. Just for shits and giggles, watch this and then attempt to watch the Iowa boys' tournament:

Reaction score
Well, fuckin' a, finally got bit by the double post bug. Bow away. :icon_lol:

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Jesus christ the number of fouls in that game
When watching that UNC-Duke game the other night I was thinking about how refreshing it was watching a game where the refs let them play the game. They finally hit the under 12 timeout with like 8:12 seconds left. It was a crazy difference from watching those shitty Big Ten games.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
He'll be a really good practice player. Good addition.

Keeps the team extra bleachy.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
I've heard he's a decent player and he will add to our diversity

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Reaction score
I've just obtained the intellectual property rights for the name JOEY TWO-SAINTS, which will turn into a huge brand when our incoming PG blows up YUGELY. And no, I'm not high--just working late on caffeine.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
The next three years are going to be either awesome or the biggest shit show you can possibly imagine

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
they'll score a lot of points. they'll give up a lot of points. they'll make the dance. they won't get far.