**2020 Iowa Basketball Off-Season Thread**

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
On this I can assure you that you are very wrong on both accounts. Heiar is very clean, why do you think he is choosing on his terms to leave LSU for a lower program?

As for defense, when he was at Wichita State, their defenses were always top notch. LSU wasn’t bad either and one of his guards won SEC DPOY.
My bad, I read quickly and thought it was the head coach leaving, not the assistant. WATT.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Either way, would require Speraw to leave for another job or Sherm to retire.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
Yes he would be great with his track record of recruiting and developing guards. He also does a great job of relating to players. Him as the #2 coach would be a huge upgrade. Plus, his daughter will be in Iowa City beginning in the fall so that would be a good reason to bring him in.

Monster

Fapped to The Karate Kid Wearing a Mask
Reaction score
Talkin Goat wants to hear about the teenage girl coming to Iowa City. Hey, might even be 17!

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
Plus I really only give a shit about this guy as a potential assistant coach.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Pretty sure Deuce Deuce made 1 of his 2 career three pointers in that game. Top of the key.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Thinking back to that season with Oliver as a senior, I remember thinking it would be the best Iowa season since the late 80s. Then the ESPN magazine college basketball preview came out and had Iowa like 28th.

They got beat pretty bad by Tennessee in the Diamondhead Classic in Hawaii. Also lost a road game at Kansas State. The Mizzou game that year was the best college game I’ve ever attended. Kareem Rush, Clarence Gilbert, that Soyoye guy and Justin Gage. Double OT, I remember Gilbert and Rush being on a 2 on 0 fast break and Gilbert pulling up for 3. The Detroit Mercy game was also probably the best Hawkeye Challenge game ever played.

Started conference season 6-2 with a shitty home loss to a not great Michigan team so tied for 1st half way through after the Recker 3 point barrage in the comeback against Indiana. He gets injured, they handle Minnesota and then finish 1-7 before winning the conference tournament.

Alford was a piece of shit, I still wonder what his trajectory would have been had Recker not gotten injured that year.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
Thinking back to that season with Oliver as a senior, I remember thinking it would be the best Iowa season since the late 80s. Then the ESPN magazine college basketball preview came out and had Iowa like 28th.

They got beat pretty bad by Tennessee in the Diamondhead Classic in Hawaii. Also lost a road game at Kansas State. The Mizzou game that year was the best college game I’ve ever attended. Kareem Rush, Clarence Gilbert, that Soyoye guy and Justin Gage. Double OT, I remember Gilbert and Rush being on a 2 on 0 fast break and Gilbert pulling up for 3. The Detroit Mercy game was also probably the best Hawkeye Challenge game ever played.

Started conference season 6-2 with a shitty home loss to a not great Michigan team so tied for 1st half way through after the Recker 3 point barrage in the comeback against Indiana. He gets injured, they handle Minnesota and then finish 1-7 before winning the conference tournament.

Alford was a piece of shit, I still wonder what his trajectory would have been had Recker not gotten injured that year.
How high was Iowa in early Feb, 2016?

douglasbader

Reaction score
How high was Iowa in early Feb, 2016?
They got up to #4 during that season. In retrospect, it was a fluke. There was an article that came out right about that time that showed every single Iowa player was playing far beyond their normal numbers, especially guys like Dom Uhl that was out of his mind.

Nearly all of them came crashing back to earth.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
They got up to #4 during that season. In retrospect, it was a fluke. There was an article that came out right about that time that showed every single Iowa player was playing far beyond their normal numbers, especially guys like Dom Uhl that was out of his mind.

I knew it was ridiculously high. I still have the SI.

CamelTones

Reaction score

Didn’t Dom make like 10 out of 11 three point shots at one point around that road Michigan State game.

That whole team was Uthoff and Jok. Once teams forced Clemmons, Woody and Mike to score they were done. They were number 1 in both offensive and defensive efficiency around early February.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Didn’t Dom make like 10 out of 11 three point shots at one point around that road Michigan State game.

That whole team was Uthoff and Jok. Once teams forced Clemmons, Woody and Mike to score they were done. They were number 1 in both offensive and defensive efficiency around early February.
I think Mike Gesell is one of the biggest disappointments in the Fran era. He should/could have been a scoring threat and played off the ball, but instead he was forced to play the point after missing on so many others.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I think Mike Gesell is one of the biggest disappointments in the Fran era. He should/could have been a scoring threat and played off the ball, but instead he was forced to play the point after missing on so many others.
what? We got Gesell because Fran went all in on him as a PG when everyone else saw him off the ball.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Gesell was basically Anthony Clemons. A good fourth option. He would have been a disaster as a starting 2.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Gesell was basically Anthony Clemons. A good fourth option. He would have been a disaster as a starting 2.
False. Gesell had good scoring games and was a completely different player off the ball and aggressive offensively.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
False. Gesell had good scoring games and was a completely different player off the ball and aggressive offensively.
Dude he couldn’t shoot past 18 feet. He, like Woodbury, will forever be underrated players, but this is way off base.

douglasbader

Reaction score
so you don’t think Mike Gesell was a better pg than we would have got in that class?

The bigger mistake was Sapp, who I liked, but he kept us from getting Morris.
You're not getting the point, stupid. I'm fine with Fran telling him he would be the PG to get him here. When it became clear he wasn't a very good PG he should have moved him. Fran sort of knew from the start though. He not only made sure he got a back up, but he put Marble there and tried like hell to get a much better PG in Ulis.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Dude he couldn’t shoot past 18 feet. He, like Woodbury, will forever be underrated players, but this is way off base.
I know he couldn't shoot very well, but he was great when they ran screens for him off the ball and he could catch and curl and be aggressive, totally different player.

CamelTones

Reaction score
I know he couldn't shoot very well, but he was great when they ran screens for him off the ball and he could catch and curl and be aggressive, totally different player.
Correct. Basically the role he played after coming back from his injury during the NIT run his freshman year and the North Carolina game his junior year when he was trying to out play Paige.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
He was awesome in that game, and I’m not even counting the thunder dunk or dick tap. Thanks

gohawkeyes811

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

I think they actually got all the way to #3 in one of the polls that year.

CamelTones

Reaction score
When’s the last time Dickie V called an Iowa game? Alford years?
Indiana game in Bloomington in the above KenPom chart year I believe. He also called the North Carolina game the year before.

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
Indiana game in Bloomington in the above KenPom chart year I believe. He also called the North Carolina game the year before.
Who called the Iowa Michigan State game this past season? I know it was an ESPN game.