**2020 Iowa Basketball Off-Season Thread**

Reaction score
“Hand in the cookie jar” is what my grade school basketball coach would say with that follow though.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
Got damn. He’s the best Hawkeye of my lifetime and we got hosed out of watching the end of his best season on the biggest stage the sport has to offer.

It would be so fucking unfair to be unable to watch him for the entirety of his final season as a Hawk.

Last edited:

Magic Cyclops

Will Be Here Saturday Night
Reaction score
Please have a season*
Probably need to start preparing for no Football or Bball season. Hope I'm wrong, but how this country has chosen to deal with the virus is not good. If we let it just work it's way through the population it probably won't burn out until late 2021.

When players start getting infected, whole teams getting infected, what happens then?

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Probably need to start preparing for no Football or Bball season. Hope I'm wrong, but how this country has chosen to deal with the virus is not good. If we let it just work it's way through the population it probably won't burn out until late 2021.

When players start getting infected, whole teams getting infected, what happens then?
They become immune and don't have to worry anymore.

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
Best play of that UNC game was the pass over the top from Oglesby that Olaseni caught in stride and dunked without having to dribble. 18 second mark.

The best play was Gesell drive for 3 pt play that gave us the famous gesell/woody celebration pic. It also won the game.kctjatjosm6y9kog5r7x.jpeg

Last edited:

The Incredible Hawk

Will Spineboard You
Reaction score

Didn’t you hear? It’s magically going away. Trump was right all along.

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
I mean...fuck.

He either needs back surgery or he is tired as fuck...but still splashing.

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
Hopefully, he doesn't fall in love with his shooting and look to show the NBA how elite his range is because when he was inside, he was unstoppable 99.9% of the time.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Hopefully, he doesn't fall in love with his shooting and look to show the NBA how elite his range is because when he was inside, he was unstoppable 99.9% of the time.
This is one of the only "concerns" with him this year. If Iowa is really good, his numbers should actually drop significantly and hopefully he and Frank are good with that.

18 and 8 would be more realistic for him this year.

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
This is one of the only "concerns" with him this year. If Iowa is really good, his numbers should actually drop significantly and hopefully he and Frank are good with that.

18 and 8 would be more realistic for him this year.
I think he and Frank are smart enough to avoid that and he's always been an elite teammate.

I can see bohannon being the fly in the ointment.

Hopefully, it will just end up being a matter of teams picking how they want to get beat.

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
With the added depth, I am hopeful Fran is able to stagger the minutes better and avoid those awful bench units. At least two of Garza, bohannon, CJ, and Wieskamp should be on the court at all times.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Yeah, I’m sure this will happen.
There are no awful bench units this year. There is no shitty Pemsl or Bakari or Riley Till. All of them have been replaced with legit talent.

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
This would have been Lick's best team at Iowa. Three 3* and a couple 4* players.

Toussaint
Ulis
Perkins
Pat
Nunge
Nunge was the only guy the Criminal would have offered. Then he would have had him gain 40 pounds on pizza and donuts so he could get slower and stiffer. The rest of those guys were too athletic for "the Butler way."

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Starting 5 thoughts? Talkin' by the time Big Ten play comes around.

Are we all just automatically assuming Nunge Starts? Can we play small with Wieskamp at the 4? Did I just type that?

Toussiant, bohannon, Frederick, Wieskamp, Garza

or

bohannon, Frederick, Wieskamp, McCaffery, Garza?

Starting Nunge leaves us without an experienced big coming off the bench. It would be nice to see Nunge in a similar role to Kriener, wouldn't it? Except a better version.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
I'm with that.

The only thing is the thought of Touissant with 4 really good shooters with him on the floor gives me a case of thick dick. Somehow we should be maximizing that.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
If it comes down to Toussaint vs McCaffery starting, McCafferys game transitions much better to off the bench than Toussaints does.

Nunge as the backup to Garza and plays some 4 with Garza. Patrick can play 3/4, then Ulis or Perkins get some minutes. I also assume Josh O, if he ever makes it back to the United States, will be forced into some random minutes if there is foul trouble. The other guys can develop at a normal pace.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Despite some recent douchiness, bohannon is probably going to be one of my top 5 favourite Hawkeyes of all time. I wish he could play forever.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Despite some recent douchiness, bohannon is probably going to be one of my top 5 favourite Hawkeyes of all time. I wish he could play forever.
I don't care that he's a douche, I just think he makes Iowa a little better at what they are already really good at, and worse where they really struggle.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
I don't care that he's a douche, I just think he makes Iowa a little better at what they are already really good at, and worse where they really struggle.
He's the most clutch player on the team, though. He's one of the most clutch shooters in Iowa basketball history.

I know some people like to ignore that, but there's something to be said about players who rise to the moment.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
If it comes down to Toussaint vs McCaffery starting, McCafferys game transitions much better to off the bench than Toussaints does.

Nunge as the backup to Garza and plays some 4 with Garza. Patrick can play 3/4, then Ulis or Perkins get some minutes. I also assume Josh O, if he ever makes it back to the United States, will be forced into some random minutes if there is foul trouble. The other guys can develop at a normal pace.
I’m fine with whatever. But I think it makes some sense to start bohannon and have JT come in in relief. Plus, Toussaint put Iowa in some holes early in games last year. At the end of the day I don’t care who starts. JT ain’t finishing games while bohannon and Connor are still around

Reactions: BBK

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
bohannon, Frederick, Wieskamp, McCaffery, Garza
This will definitely be the crunch-time line-up. As for starting I don’t care as much, but would like to have at least two of these guys on the court at all times. If all five are benched going into the under 12 timeout with any sort of regularity, I’ll need a new TV.

Reaction score
bohannon, Weiskamp, Fredrick makes it impossible to pack in on Garza and tough to double him. Defensive questions are legit but he's in better shape than he's ever been at Iowa and hopefully the healthiest he's been.

Hopefully improvement comes from them being veteran and used to playing with each other. Garza will be motivated by the fact that it's the area he has to show the biggest improvement. We'll see on the coaching and defensive emphasis but at least the depth is athletic.

Last edited:

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Remember when half of HaLo wanted Connor to go away and play baseball when he was only a Freshman?

So weird after we've had so many Freshman here who have sucked balls who have went on to be very good players.