**2020 Iowa Basketball Off-Season Thread**

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
I think we've discussed this, and I realize I'm in an extreme minority here, but football has always been third to me, with basketball #1 and wrestling #2.

And I still love Iowa football and there are very few things better in life than seeing a game at Kinnick.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
I think we've discussed this, and I realize I'm in an extreme minority here, but football has always been third to me, with basketball #1 and wrestling #2.

And I still love Iowa football and there are very few things better in life than seeing a game at Kinnick.
Iowa b-ball is my life long passion. Football came on in HS and has been a big thing since but I was obsessed with Iowa b-ball since about 5 yrs old and always wanted to play for Iowa.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Iowa b-ball is my life long passion. Football came on in HS and has been a big thing since but I was obsessed with Iowa b-ball since about 5 yrs old and always wanted to play for Iowa.
Same. My first Iowa basketball memories were the Marble, Armstrong, Horton teams.

I think part of that, at least for me, might have been race-identification related? All the other teams in the big ten seemed pretty black, whereas Iowa was the white team, and thus was white enough that I could have played for them.

Perhaps I've always been a basketball racist.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I love both, but Basketball has always had the edge for me.

My favorite time of the year is the week of Thanksgiving. Usually get a football game on Saturday before, a coupe of baketball games, then Black Friday football, and then sometimes a basketball game that night and the following night.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
I was outside in my driveway court wearing out my b-ball hoop every night it was nice out. I was winning so many games for Iowa. I’d play all day with friends and then come home for at least an hour shoot around.
Same, even as the fuckin midget that I was. I thought I could be a modern day Murray Weir.

I probably should have spent all that time in a wrestling singlet.

Reaction score
Growing up I recall lots of games being on in the background during weeknights. Cold Tuesday’s finishing up dinner and then playing with some sort of toy on the floor while my dad watched the game. Ah the memories, flying my toy planes through the clouds but it was really just Dad’s cigar smoke.

Football was a weekend thing so there were always errands to run or yard work. Don’t recall watching a lot of those but rather Zabel blasting out of the garage radio while I shot hoops.

I‘m football first but I think that came on much later. Basketball in the early years for sure.

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
You guys are all fucking insane. Basketballtards.
Yep. Football all the way.

I love watching the Hawks play basketball but an easy test for me is I watch literally zero other college basketball games until march madness. I could watch college football all day, so adding in the fact that it's the hawks makes it a clear winner. Even with the hawks, I just notice the skill difference between pros and college way more in basketball.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
I’m shocked in the lead up to the best Iowa basketball team in history there’s a dick measuring contest on loving Iowa basketball.

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score
I was outside in my driveway court wearing out my b-ball hoop every night it was nice out. I was winning so many games for Iowa. I’d play all day with friends and then come home for at least an hour shoot around.
Thanks for your help in developing my love for Iowa basketball. Your teams were great to watch.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Love both but it's football guys. C'mon.

Crisp fall Saturdays as a kid watching the Fry led hawks and pickup games in the backyard during halftime.
Nope. I love Iowa football almost as much, but the thing that puts it over the top is that you get a lot more basketball. I like that when basketball really gets ramped up, you get 3 games per week.

Kerky

Does Not Return His Shopping Cart
Reaction score
Same. My first Iowa basketball memories were the Marble, Armstrong, Horton teams.

I think part of that, at least for me, might have been race-identification related? All the other teams in the big ten seemed pretty black, whereas Iowa was the white team, and thus was white enough that I could have played for them.

Perhaps I've always been a basketball racist.
"Mine were Murray Wier" / @Sambud

douglasbader

Reaction score
I will say that part of it, especially now, is the weather. In Iowa it was even closer because you did get those crisp fall days and all of that, but down here it is still usually in the 90's well into the Big Ten season and doesn't feel the same.

SteadyEddy

HaLo Walk-on
Reaction score
I will say that part of it, especially now, is the weather. In Iowa it was even closer because you did get those crisp fall days and all of that, but down here it is still usually in the 90's well into the Big Ten season and doesn't feel the same.

I was going to say that weather is/was a detractor for basketball. It was always synonymous with depressing cold Iowa winters.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Of course the weather right now in Iowa is amazing. We should all be planning for tailgating and doing yard work on weeknights.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I was going to say that weather is/was a detractor for basketball. It was always synonymous with depressing cold Iowa winters.
Opposite for me down here, it usually is associated with 60 degree highs and crisp weather.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I'm in the minority here, but football is goat for me. Much of my Iowa basketball watching was through the Alford era. And then my four years at Iowa were 3 with The Criminal and one year getting MAD for Fran.

Fun as hell to see good Iowa basketball now though. I can't image what they 80s and early 90s were like

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score
The beauty of this season is there won’t be complaining about location of the arena, why the student section isn’t packed, and why are these rich donors taking the best seats... “took me 1 hours to get out of the parking lot and on the highway.”

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
I'm in the minority here, but football is goat for me. Much of my Iowa basketball watching was through the Alford era. And then my four years at Iowa were 3 with The Criminal and one year getting MAD for Fran.

Fun as hell to see good Iowa basketball now though. I can't image what they 80s and early 90s were like
two years of ravelling, two of dr. tom for me. and the rose bowl, long, hartlieb, gill, harmon, harmon, and stewart. good times.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
The beauty of this season is there won’t be complaining about location of the arena, why the student section isn’t packed, and why are these rich donors taking the best seats... “took me 1 hours to get out of the parking lot and on the highway.”
Is it a beauty or a negative that all of the posters that are usually at the game, may now be in chat?

douglasbader

Reaction score
I love Maddie. She is so uncomfortable and awkward on camera that it is actually endearing.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
I might be the only one from HaLo inside Kinnick or CHA this season.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
My first sports memory was going to a practice at the field house and meeting Willie Mayfield and Clay Hargrave in 1978.

in the span of two years iowa won the big ten in basketball, made the final four, made it to the rose bowl, and miracle on ice.

what a time to be alive!

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
I just wish my turtle Lick.lighter would die. Only 80 more years.

Reactions: BBK