2021 Basketball Recruiting

Berzerkenpas

Desperately Wants a Mod-Edited Tag Line
Reaction score
can anybody think of a player that fran offered before his junior year who didn't turn out to be a player -- barring injuries or surgery?

I'm ok with payton.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
yep. ouch.

anyone since, say, 2014?
Adam Trapp? I don't recall what year he was though, just remember he was a giant from Minnesota.

Those are the only two I know off the top of my head though, but seems like Fran misses from time to time on the big guys.

Last edited:

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Wasn't before their junior year but that Forbes kid from Texas a few years ago was maybe the strangest offer prior to the Murray twins.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
yep. ouch.

anyone since, say, 2014?
Some of these offers being mentioned weren't even offers. Bonifas is a perfect example. According to Bonifas he was "offered" by Fran, but it wasn't committable and many question if it was ever any sort of conditional offer at all. They expressed strong interest when he was really young, but he never had a shot at coming to Iowa.

thrawn

Reaction score
He would be fine on a team filled with athlete's who can defend and penetrate, leaving him as a three point shooter. That's the only way he would work.

He belongs at Drake with DeVries kid, who is better imo.
DeVries is going to wind up at Creighton

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
DeVries is going to wind up at Creighton
this is a pretty interesting dilemma for the family. you have a dad who is the coach at a low major who will almost certainly have better offers soon. That said, he tried three times to get this job and may not be ready to bounce this soon, especially because the school has a good recruiting base and financial strength. You can win at drake with metro kids who don’t go to UNI, jucos, and Chicago kids who think CF sucks.

Then you have the kid with an opportunity to have a major impact in his dad‘s league and at the same time elevate his dads status, where he is clearly a top level player. At the same time, if you do that you may end up finishing your career at a place like Minnesota. or you can play at the power six level, which seems like a no brainer but is a bit more of a stretch in terms of talent, but if you succeed you are suddenly a pro prospect as a 6-6 SG who shoots 50% from 3pt. Oh and by the way you grew up cheering for that team.

not sure what I would do

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
I haven’t paid much attention to Devries. How good is he? I assume not as good as AJ Green who had a sort of similar situation

Reaction score
DeVries may be every bit as talented as Green. He’s really good. I could see him being ranked in the top 100 nationally.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Let's get some Murray twins expectations down on paper.

What do we got?

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I haven’t paid much attention to Devries. How good is he? I assume not as good as AJ Green who had a sort of similar situation
Better than his current offer list IMO. I think he's being underrecruited with many assuming he'll play for dad. I still think he follows dad regardless of his offers but who knows. More athletic, better shooter, and better handles than Sandfort.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Let's get some Murray twins expectations down on paper.

What do we got?
Redshirt, relatively smart players that work to be a 15-20 minute solid contributors in the final 2 years.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Better than his current offer list IMO. I think he's being underrecruited with many assuming he'll play for dad. I still think he follows dad regardless of his offers but who knows. More athletic, better shooter, and better handles than Sandfort.
more athletic but I disagree on the other two as it translates to college. His left hand is not good, he is just playing pg because Waukee doesn’t have a better one. Same reason Sandfort is playing down low a lot. I don’t see Devries as a 40% college 3pt shooter like I do Sandfort.

Devries overpowers a lot of high school guards. He reminds me of a much less athletic haluska.

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Reaction score
Every single time he leaves his feet, some kid should be trying to slide their foot under his.

Then the parents, coaches and camera guy should all have a giant R carved into their foreheads with a hunting knife.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
DeVries not looking very good so far at point. Needs to step it up as I’m sure he capable.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
DeVries not looking very good so far at point. Needs to step it up as I’m sure he capable.
he’s not a good ballhandler at all, but he’s the best option this year. Waukee lost all five starters from the beginning of last year.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Waukee acts like the bitches I would expect Ankeny to be. Bayless is easily the best player in the court tonight. And Kumm might be second.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
Ankeny is playing tougher than Waukee. The ball pressure is really bothering Waukee’s guards.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
You continue to show your stupidity in this thread and the virus thread. If your dad was following any of this he would be ashamed.
It’s not my fault you can’t even insult people properly, but at least you are also crazy.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Much less athletic. He’s closer to oglesby. Different players. He will still be a good high major weapon though.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Wheres Bayless going to play in college?

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Waukee is best when they are getting the ball upcourt and chucking. Right now they are trying to dribble against good guards.