***2022-2023 Iowa Men’s Basketball Season Thread***

Reaction score
It’s impossible to predict the way you used to with the portal. If they get a quality big and a wing like Spencer that Rutgers got from Bucknell, they can be good. Guys will be out there, supposedly they’ll have funds with the Swarm that they didn’t have last year. The system should be attractive.

Reaction score
3P shooting in losses away from home:
3-17 vs. TCU
3-16 vs. Duke
7-28 at Nebrantska
7-25 at Penn State
11-24 at Ohio State, the outlier
3-17 at Michigan State
5-18 at Purdue
3-24 at Northwestern
3-28 at Wisconsin
Never seen anything like it.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
It’s impossible to predict the way you used to with the portal. If they get a quality big and a wing like Spencer that Rutgers got from Bucknell, they can be good. Guys will be out there, supposedly they’ll have funds with the Swarm that they didn’t have last year. The system should be attractive.
This is my hope. Every good shooter playing at a lower level should want to play for Fran. We have to be able to get a couple.

Reaction score
They’ve bounced back from horrible shooting stretches by being on fire for multiple games. Unfortunately they’ve only been above 32% twice all year away from home.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
The numbers showed that Ulis, Perkins, Connor, Pat, and Rebracca were all not good shooters from the outside coming into the year so this shouldn't be all that surprising. I think that is why Sandfart was starting and playing out of position to start the year to try get some consistent shooting on the court.

Last edited:

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
This is my hope. Every good shooter playing at a lower level should want to play for Fran. We have to be able to get a couple.
I don’t agree. Frans offensive system has always been good but he’s been left at the altar way more than he should have been.

I thought Bowen would finally be the one since Fran identified him early but he’s less than an afterthought. I just don’t see how swarm wins out for him

Reaction score
Kris is a first rounder. He’s gone.

Barring some major portal guys, this team is going to be dog shit next year. LOFL at L Wade for thinking Dix and the other Sandfart makeup for Kris.

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
I don’t agree. Frans offensive system has always been good but he’s been left at the altar way more than he should have been.

I thought Bowen would finally be the one since Fran identified him early but he’s less than an afterthought. I just don’t see how swarm wins out for him
You don't think Fran can get a role player that is a good shooter from a lower level? That's not really something he has needed to pursue in the past. It doesn't need to be some stud just someone that can help space the floor.

I'm not really sure what Bowen has to do with this conversation but he should get more of an opportunity next year. Ulis can't shoot and can't get all the way to the rim. He settles for mid range jumpers that he's not great at either. I think Fran has to find a smaller role for him next year.

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
kris will be g-league next year.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Doesn’t really matter how good he is, eventually adding Jack to the roster would be like Kirk replacing Brian with Steve Ferentz.

Patrick really needs a fresh start somewhere else. I understand his physical limitations because of his health history, but you can’t play with the type of effort he does in the Big Ten. When you compound that with a guy that has lost all confidence you’re just hurting your own team by putting him in the game.

The last 2 games have shown the vulnerability of Frans style. Because of how horrible Iowa is at defense, you’re still likely to get a good shot under 5 on the shot clock, so there’s really no reason to rush it. Set a ball screen at 8 seconds and you’re either going to have a wide open corner 3, a point guard blowing by Rebraca or the screener rolling unimpeded to the basket. Iowa will then start to press on the offensive end trying to speed the game up. Wisconsin played it pretty much perfectly last night as did NW on Sunday.

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Doesn’t really matter how good he is, eventually adding Jack to the roster would be like Kirk replacing Brian with Steve Ferentz.

Patrick really needs a fresh start somewhere else. I understand his physical limitations because of his health history, but you can’t play with the type of effort he does in the Big Ten. When you compound that with a guy that has lost all confidence you’re just hurting your own team by putting him in the game.

The last 2 games have shown the vulnerability of Frans style. Because of how horrible Iowa is at defense, you’re still likely to get a good shot under 5 on the shot clock, so there’s really no reason to rush it. Set a ball screen at 8 seconds and you’re either going to have a wide open corner 3, a point guard blowing by Rebraca or the screener rolling unimpeded to the basket. Iowa will then start to press on the offensive end trying to speed the game up. Wisconsin played it pretty much perfectly last night as did NW on Sunday.
that, and be as physical with them as you can

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Kris is a first rounder. He’s gone.

Barring some major portal guys, this team is going to be dog shit next year. LOFL at L Wade for thinking Dix and the other Sandfart makeup for Kris.
they do from a shooting standpoint, which was the point under discussion.

Kris is an average shooter who compounds the issue by not wanting the ball when everyone on the floor expects him to shoot.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
3P shooting in losses away from home:
3-17 vs. TCU
3-16 vs. Duke
7-28 at Nebrantska
7-25 at Penn State
11-24 at Ohio State, the outlier
3-17 at Michigan State
5-18 at Purdue
3-24 at Northwestern
3-28 at Wisconsin
Never seen anything like it.
That fucking Wilson ball. God dammit.

Reaction score
they do from a shooting standpoint, which was the point under discussion.

Kris is an average shooter who compounds the issue by not wanting the ball when everyone on the floor expects him to shoot.
FFS, Wade. One guy that has 2/3 of a season under his belt, has a small sample size and hardly sees the floor. The other is a fucking high schooler. You have to be smarter than this, right?!

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score
The reason Dix is struggling (IMO) is because when he isn't playing well he has a quick hook. Fran doesn't allow him to play through it like he does Ulis, Perkins, Pat (the worst), and Connor. When Ulis and Perkins were struggling and Dix was getting more minutes he was pretty damn good even playing out of position.

I truly believe if Dix was getting close to starter minutes he'd figure it out and be at the very least slightly above average. Patrick's ceiling is slightly below average. Fran is going to break Pat mentally if he keeps playing him. It's obvious he doesn't want to be there. Then again none of them wanted to be there the last 2 games.

Pinehawk

Regina Douche
Reaction score
The best thing for Patrick at this point would be to transfer. He just needs a fresh start, away from the pressure of playing for his Dad at Iowa.
I think it would really help him with both his anxiety issues, and his game.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
The best thing for Patrick at this point would be to transfer. He just needs a fresh start, away from the pressure of playing for his Dad at Iowa.
I think it would really help him with both his anxiety issues, and his game.
Little Lord Patrick moving away and being unable to have dinner at mommy’s house 4X per week while she does his laundry, I don’t see it.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
Little Lord Patrick moving away and being unable to have dinner at mommy’s house 4X per week while she does his laundry, I don’t see it.
Maybe he could rent a place with Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz and they can look after each other.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
It's pretty weird that at the exact same point in time, the success of both major sports programs at the University of Iowa are heavily reliant on the performance of the sons of the head coach.

Right now, the dipshit fat fuck son of the head football coach has put a hard cap ceiling on the success of the program and stunted it's growth and wins due to his incompetence. To remove that cap requires the son to remove his gigantic head from his ass.

The basketball program has ceded control of the team to a 6th year wanna be coach on the floor that spends a lot of his time making over-animated gestures, shrugging his shoulders and screaming at his teammates even when many of the fuck ups and shit performance are actually his own. The other son is riddled with crippling anxiety made much worse by his brother screaming at him and his father putting him into bad situations over and over for way too many minutes. Not only that, the development of other key players is stunted because daddy keeps putting his boys on the floor for about 55+ minutes plus of game time while more talented players at key positions rot on the bench.

I love me some Kirk, but unless Brian pulls that aforementioned head out of his ass this year, it won't be pretty.

I really love me some Fran, but the Connor/Patrick era of Iowa Basketball can't end soon enough, which means that somehow they will find a way to get into the Sweet 16 this year.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
It's pretty weird that at the exact same point in time, the success of both major sports programs at the University of Iowa are heavily reliant on the performance of the sons of the head coach.

Right now, the dipshit fat fuck son of the head football coach has put a hard cap ceiling on the success of the program and stunted it's growth and wins due to his incompetence. To remove that cap requires the son to remove his gigantic head from his ass.

The basketball program has ceded control of the team to a 6th year wanna be coach on the floor that spends a lot of his time making over-animated gestures, shrugging his shoulders and screaming at his teammates even when many of the fuck ups and shit performance are actually his own. The other son is riddled with crippling anxiety made much worse by his brother screaming at him and his father putting him into bad situations over and over for way too many minutes. Not only that, the development of other key players is stunted because daddy keeps putting his boys on the floor for about 55+ minutes plus of game time while more talented players at key positions rot on the bench.

I love me some Kirk, but unless Brian pulls that aforementioned head out of his ass this year, it won't be pretty.

I really love me some Fran, but the Connor/Patrick era of Iowa Basketball can't end soon enough, which means that somehow they will find a way to get into the Sweet 16 this year.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Brian has no aptitude, but more importantly he has no honor. Pat and Connor may be trending in a similar direction.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Connor. He’s limited, but probably our most consistent player.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
The biggest problem on the road this year is that there's no Keegan or Luka to get a sure fire bucket for you when you really need it. You have a primary scorer who disappears and a supporting cast that can't do jack shit to support him.

douglasbader

Reaction score
uh, have you looked at anyone else in the conference?
Yes, and Connor is by far the worst on the entire team and looks like the worst in the conference. Kris is down, but a billion times better on the road.

The only other player comparable to Connor's suck on the road is Sandfart, but he is a true Sophomore bench player and not a mother fucking 6th year senior PG.

CleteyColgate

is a fucking idiot.
Reaction score

Who the hell is this @douglasbader idiot? He needs to get his shit together.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Anyways, the team will go as Connor and Sandfort goes. If good Connor shows up and Sandfort is hot, they are a tough team to beat as that frees up Kris and everyone else.

If they suck, then you get the last 2 games. Just hope that this was the last vomit of the season before they finally make a run in the tournament and Connor/Sandfart are hot and playing well. If that happens, they are capable of Sweet 16 and beyond. Especially this year when all of the wonderful product that is college basketball seems to suck donkey dick.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Yes, and Connor is by far the worst on the entire team and looks like the worst in the conference. Kris is down, but a billion times better on the road.

The only other player comparable to Connor's suck on the road is Sandfart, but he is a true Sophomore bench player and not a mother fucking 6th year senior PG.
what the fuck?

kris is shooting even worse on the road. The difference is that he is counted upon to be a go-to guy, while Connor is a role player.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Imagine being a guy in charge of other people's money and thinking that 43.6% shooting is worse than 29.3% shooting.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I mean.... maybe.... just maybe.... Kris Murray isn't as good on the road because his 6th year senior PG is fucking dogshit on the road? Might be a factor.