**2026 Iowa Football Season Thread**

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,249
Reaction score
1,537
Years ago when an athlete professed his faith, as long as it wasn't completely phony sounding or over the top, I thought it was admirable. Now, because of how Christianity has been co-opted by the worst people in the country, I'm immediately skeptical and often disgusted.
this is why I’ve gone back to owning slaves.
 

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Joined
Jan 11, 2012
Messages
20,133
Reaction score
7,524
Echoing Monster. It's sad it's came to this but any athlete overtly expressing their Christianity is an immediate eye roll for me and that wasn't always the case. It almost feels like a political expression as much as a religious one.
I don’t associate it as much with politics as I do with the person having a low IQ
 

Fritz Fequiere

something feels off when he has sex with his wife.
Joined
May 15, 2014
Messages
2,232
Reaction score
-1,130
These are still young people though. Being in the middle of raising a bunch of boys I do see the value of instilling some kind of spiritual grounding, despite me being an atheist. Growing up in this country these days is hard.

I also find myself agreeing with Trump that society's need religion even though he and Musk's existence is clear evidence there is no personal God and humanity may in fact be a mistake.
 

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
98,007
Reaction score
37,452
Years ago when an athlete professed his faith, as long as it wasn't completely phony sounding or over the top, I thought it was admirable. Now, because of how Christianity has been co-opted by the worst people in the country, I'm immediately skeptical and often disgusted.

It’s always felt extremely vapid to me…never much of any mention of Jesus’ ethical teachings to his followers and how he encourages them to live in the world and treat other people, without which Christianity is quite empty, imo
 
Last edited:
Joined
May 1, 2011
Messages
575
Reaction score
-851
You fight any naked dudes lately, buddy?
The Lord has been kind to the Captain in the last decade. No fights with any naked or clothed dudes. No promiscuous women soiling my new furniture. Just relative peace and calm. It sounds boring...and it is.

As for judgement, I try and only judge other Christians. I don't appreciate fake Christians any more than most people here do. When you see a cross around the neck of your favorite athlete or movie star, it's almost always a marketing tool rather than a statement of faith. Plus, although my sins have been forgiven, I was a miserable piece of shit before coming to Jesus. I haven't forgotten that.
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,210
Reaction score
51,828
The Lord has been kind to the Captain in the last decade. No fights with any naked or clothed dudes. No promiscuous women soiling my new furniture. Just relative peace and calm. It sounds boring...and it is.

As for judgement, I try and only judge other Christians. I don't appreciate fake Christians any more than most people here do. When you see a cross around the neck of your favorite athlete or movie star, it's almost always a marketing tool rather than a statement of faith. Plus, although my sins have been forgiven, I was a miserable piece of shit before coming to Jesus. I haven't forgotten that.
Sounds just like my close relationship with Satan
 

Rolo Tomassi

This post is factually incorrect.
Joined
Jan 11, 2008
Messages
34,450
Reaction score
-24,630
Based on the Minnesota-Michigan game, Michigan is absolutely terrible, and Underwood is a mediocre at best quarterback.
 
Top