**Gonzaga vs. Iowa Basketball - 12/19/20 - 11:00am - CBS**

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Maybe you would be more comfortable posting in the thread below @coff , these people seem more your speed. Iowa has a legit Top 5 team and coff's bullshit and comments like below become the loudest voices every single time. The comments are from the Purdue game preview tomorrow.

Screenshot 2020-12-21 at 1.40.39 PM.png

coff

Busker
Reaction score
Ultimately the game on Saturday wasn't much different than the North Carolina game. The defense was about identical. Iowa got any shot they wanted. The difference is that Iowa hit their shots in one game and not the other. Welcome to basketball.
Which makes my point. You are not going to shoot well every game. In the games where you have cold shooting, you win with defense and fundamentals. You apparently are simply willing to lose all those games.

coff

Busker
Reaction score
This is like saying it's freezing, having someone else point out it's 45, and then staunchly trying to pretend everyone else was telling you that it's warm out.
LOL. Yeah, its just like that.

fuisu98

Asp Wielder
Reaction score
Not to mention that he can’t form any of his own thoughts outside of “play better defense” and instead just tells everyone they know nothing.

What specifically should they do better coff? Would you prefer less man to man and more zone? Which zone? Or would you prefer more man to man?

coff

Busker
Reaction score
Maybe you would be more comfortable posting in the thread below @coff , these people seem more your speed. Iowa has a legit Top 5 team and coff's bullshit and comments like below become the loudest voices every single time. The comments are from the Purdue game preview tomorrow.

View attachment 24917
Again, you show your lack of perception. I suspect that Purdue is a team that we can simply outscore, even if we are hitting everything. You simply aren't very bright.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Nobody is arguing Iowa is a good defensive team. L.Wade is arguing that Iowa isn't capable of being better, but that's as close as you'll find on here.
no, I’m not. I am arguing that this set of players will need to sacrifice some offense to get better at defense. Which could be incorrect.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Which makes my point. You are not going to shoot well every game. In the games where you have cold shooting, you win with defense and fundamentals. You apparently are simply willing to lose all those games.
No, you fucking moron. Everyone is trying to point out to you from the start that the huge difference in this particular game was that Gonzaga hit a volume and percentage of three pointers that is much much higher than their norm. That wasn't something due to bad defense, it was due to bad luck.

Not a single person (other than maybe in a stupid way L. Wade) is saying Iowa can't or shouldn't get better on the defensive end. For fuck's sake how do you not understand this?

Reactions: BBK

coff

Busker
Reaction score
Not to mention that he can’t form any of his own thoughts outside of “play better defense” and instead just tells everyone they know nothing.

What specifically should they do better coff? Would you prefer less man to man and more zone? Which zone? Or would you prefer more man to man?

I have addressed this. For example, go back and count how many times we simply got outhustled and beat back up the floor after a missed shot. That has little to do with quickness or athletic ability but simple hustle, hard work and desire. Should not happen at this level. The same is true with the lack of blocking out on defensive rebounds. That is all about fundamentals and effort. Finally, we are not very good at defensive fundamentals like always seeing the man and the ball. That led to several easy baskets for Gonzaga.

Look, apparently there are a lot of BB idiots on here who can't watch a game and see where the breakdowns were

coff

Busker
Reaction score
No, you fucking moron. Everyone is trying to point out to you from the start that the huge difference in this particular game was that Gonzaga hit a volume and percentage of three pointers that is much much higher than their norm. That wasn't something due to bad defense, it was due to bad luck.

Not a single person (other than maybe in a stupid way L. Wade) is saying Iowa can't or shouldn't get better on the defensive end. For fuck's sake how do you not understand this?
That is both wrong and stupid. They hit more 3s because they were not effectively defended in most cases.

fuisu98

Asp Wielder
Reaction score
Ah yes, the well known hustle defense. Nothing to do with athletic ability but simply effort.

Thank you Gene Hackman, I look forward to the remaining games where you break down what Iowa should have done. I hope they start playing more like Hickory too.

coff

Busker
Reaction score
I'm all in on the dougie theory of defense: Made shots don't result from bad defense, they are just bad luck.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Defenses have a bigger influence on number of threes attempted, not on percentage of those threes that are made.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Seriously, people are saying that we should be happy because we held their 2 point shot % down below Mikey's silly and meaningless average. In any event, I simply reject the notion that this team is as good as it can possible be on defense. While one cannot magically make players quicker, a team can work harder, especially for things like getting back to stop fast breaks, helping on drives, and boxing out for defensive rebounds. Effort on the defensive end is lacking. That will cost us ball games
Do you know what else can costs us ballgames? Playing the #1 team.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I'm all in on the dougie theory of defense: Made shots don't result from bad defense, they are just bad luck.
When it comes to 3 point percentage, that is absolutely what it means. It is largely random. We've been trying to explain this to you for the last page or so.

douglasbader

Reaction score
KenPom is talking directly to you @coff.....

I’d like to think there are two kind of basketball fans: those who like statistics and those who really like them. The difference between the groups is that the latter wants to truly understand which numbers are meaningful. The motivated analyst is constantly questioning which numbers represent a repeatable skill and which are the product of randomness.

That brings us to the topic of 3-point defense. It’s seductive to think that every 3-point attempt that goes through the net is the result of a defensive breakdown and every missed 3 is the result of defensive success. That is the way things should be. Everyone gets what they deserve! But if we are being honest, we understand that’s not the way things work. Unexplainable randomness abounds in sports, and basketball is no different.

I make this point every other year or so, and if you’re a loyal reader I apologize for the repetition, but 3-point defense is among the lowest-hanging randomness...

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
lol. Do you think better defensive teams than iowa don’t have below average defensive games???

douglasbader

Reaction score
Fuck all of this shit. I'm not going to spend the majority of the season explaining simple fucking logic and statistical concepts to complete fucking moron Walmart Iowa Fan every single time they lose a game. Iowa is going to lose 4-5 more games, and every time it will be the same shit. PLAY DEFENSE!!!! JOE T SHOULD START!!!! bohannon LIKES TO PLAY FORTNITE TOO MUCH!!!!

Here is to enjoying the rest of 2020-2021 Iowa Basketball and ignoring these fucks other than a random jab to make fun of them. If they don't get shit after that, we should all just tell them to fuck off.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
Coff has quite the triple quadruple down goin on

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Coff is possibly my favorite poster on the board which is why I am even more disappointed in his behavior than the average fan. Perhaps that’s why I overreacted.

Side note, it is so efficient to be able to take conversations I had with a third grader this morning and just use them here. Leaves time for other things.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Fuck all of this shit. I'm not going to spend the majority of the season explaining simple fucking logic and statistical concepts to complete fucking moron Walmart Iowa Fan every single time they lose a game. Iowa is going to lose 4-5 more games, and every time it will be the same shit. PLAY DEFENSE!!!! JOE T SHOULD START!!!! bohannon LIKES TO PLAY FORTNITE TOO MUCH!!!!

Here is to enjoying the rest of 2020-2021 Iowa Basketball and ignoring these fucks other than a random jab to make fun of them. If they don't get shit after that, we should all just tell them to fuck off.
That was basically my point earlier. There is no sense in going back and forth with someone who thinks Saturday was some kind of indictment on the Hawks. They’re really good. The AP knows they’re really good. The Coaches know they’re really good. Kenpom and every over analytics ranking site/service knows they’re really good. If that is not enough, then there is no hope. Some people just prefer the misery.

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
Jalen Suggs made two threes his first 3 games, then proceeded to make 7 against Iowa. Two of them were ridiculous stepbacks that were well-defended, and the others were all from 3+ feet behind the three point line.

Lol at thinking Iowa would have stopped Gonzaga had they just given more effort. A guy who had done nothing to suggest he was a lights out shooter knocked down multiple threes like the one below. What the fuck is Iowa supposed to do about that?

3447042C-C490-477E-8B47-011616620716.jpeg

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
You have an NBA guy that hasn't shown he shoots many threes. Fans wonder why bohannon wasn't trying pressure him.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if the gameplan was to give Suggs those shots so he didn't burn our slow of foot lily white guards off the dribble.

Kid was hitting everything. We didn't really see that coming. Not sure anyone did.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
Suggs was a 30.4% 3 point shooter in AAU ball where he got wide open shots all day because nobody plays defense, and 20something percent in all his FIBA action. Yet coff thinks it’s bad defense if we don’t get up on the jock of this quick as shit drive on anybody 6’5 point guard 35 feet away from the basket with our 6’0 point guards.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
Defenses have a bigger influence on number of threes attempted, not on percentage of those threes that are made.
One small disagreement here. A challenged three is a lower percentage shot. But your overall point is correct. In fact now that I think abt it I don’t think I disagree with you.

good talk. One of our best.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
It’s like this thread has been a crossover episode with TOS.

fuisu98

Asp Wielder
Reaction score
Suggs was a 30.4% 3 point shooter in AAU ball where he got wide open shots all day because nobody plays defense, and 20something percent in all his FIBA action. Yet coff thinks it’s bad defense if we don’t get up on the jock of this quick as shit drive on anybody 6’5 point guard 35 feet away from the basket with our 6’0 point guards.

They should have been real tight on him as soon as he crossed half court. Maybe slap the floor or something to show they really mean business on defense.

coff

Busker
Reaction score
lol. Do you think better defensive teams than iowa don’t have below average defensive games???
Sure they do, but that is a silly point. They don't have bad defensive games as often, and they are not as bad to begin with.

coff

Busker
Reaction score
False, but you need to resort to dishonesty to participate.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Sure they do, but that is a silly point. They don't have bad defensive games as often, and they are not as bad to begin with.
Well, those good defensive teams that have bad defensive games better score! They should shoot better!

coff

Busker
Reaction score
Well, those good defensive teams that have bad defensive games better score! They should shoot better!
They should try their best to play as well as they can with respect to all aspects of the game. Difficult concept for you, I guess.

coff

Busker
Reaction score
He totally played basketball for Lute Olson at Iowa in the Final Four era.
No, I didn't, and never claimed I did. I played at a small school before I transferred to Iowa. I played a ton of pickup with guys from that team, however. I was good friends with Steve Waite (we were both finance majors and had a ton of classes together). Lots of summer pickup games with Waite, Kevin Boyle, Mark Gannon, Tom Norman, etc.

douglasbader

Reaction score
No, I didn't, and never claimed I did. I played at a small school before I transferred to Iowa. I played a ton of pickup with guys from that team, however. I was good friends with Steve Waite (we were both finance majors and had a ton of classes together). Lots of summer pickup games with Waite, Kevin Boyle, Mark Gannon, Tom Norman, etc.
So in the late 1970's you went out for basketball and tennis at some school like William Penn or Central and then you played at the Fieldhouse or similar for fun like every other student who has ever attended the University of Iowa.

What an incredible athlete.