Iowa State Football Bashing Thread

Reaction score
I would honestly like to see how bad of a hire Campbell/Pollard would have to make for him to not be one of the greatest coaches in the country. I'm thinking a "Be an ISU football coach" sweepstakes winner or something like that.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
If Clemson wins tonight, Clones get a piece of the title.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Holy shit, he is serious, and it is clear he did little to no research.

No. 10 Iowa State
Last year: 7-6 (lost to Notre Dame 33-9 in Camping World Bowl)
Schedule highlights: Sept. 12 at Iowa, Oct. 10 at Oklahoma State, Oct. 17 vs. Oklahoma, Nov. 7 at TCU, Nov. 14 vs. Baylor, Nov. 21 at Texas

There was nothing extraordinary about Iowa State’s 7-6 season in 2019. But it could have been so much better. Of the Cyclones’ six losses, three were by two points or less and another by seven points. Iowa State should be one of the Big 12’s — and the nation’s — surprise teams in 2020. The Cyclones return 14 starters this fall led by QB Brock Purdy, who led the Big 12 averaging 306 yards passing per game, and RB Breece Hall and WR Tarique Milton. Matt Campbell is considered one of the nation’s top coaches, and he’ll show why in 2020.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, McMurphy went on First Team in 2015 and made a case that 10-0 Iowa shouldn't even be in the top 25 near the end of the season.

Someone from Iowa City fucked his wife and he's never forgotten it.

douglasbader

Reaction score
He is getting fucking roasted in his comments about Iowa State.

ivan_drago

Reaction score
Iowa isn't even in his Top 30.
I'm not even mad about that. They're likely breaking in a new QB and losing two first round picks.

But having Iowa fucking State, who was closer to 5-7 than 9-3, at 10th (meaning he thinks they'll win 11 fucking games next year) alongside a shitty A&M team and ahead of fucking GEORGIA?

douglasbader

Reaction score
I'm not even mad about that. They're likely breaking in a new QB and losing two first round picks.

But having Iowa fucking State, who was closer to 5-7 than 9-3, at 10th (meaning he thinks they'll win 11 fucking games next year) alongside a shitty A&M team and ahead of fucking GEORGIA?
I thought MInnesota was a fraud most of the season, but can't deny they won 11 games with wins over Penn State and Auburn. They return 9 of 11 starters.

He has them #26.

thrawn

Reaction score
The close games thing has validity but they also didn’t blow anyone good out. The computers have them around #30 which is good for a 6-loss team but doesn’t make them seem that undervalued.

ivan_drago

Reaction score
I thought MInnesota was a fraud most of the season, but can't deny they won 11 games with wins over Penn State and Auburn. They return 9 of 11 starters.

He has them #26.
Right behind Ole Miss, who went 4-8 last year and fucking sucks.

douglasbader

Reaction score

He's insane, but I love this. Iowa State fans now have everything they need to say "We are pre-season Top 10"

Reactions: Jim

ivan_drago

Reaction score
Jon Wilner had them 9th in the preseason this year and his justification was that he ranks the preseason ballot as how he sees them finishing the year, FWIW.

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score

No kidding, which is why it's obvious clickbait nonsense.

Georgia: wins 10 games pretty much every single year and is basically a fixture in the top 10 (but it doesn't stop Hey Guys from calling them perennially overrated). No one would bat an eye if you put them 10th and you probably wouldn't even bother to read why.

Iowa State: has never, ever won 10 games and it's been 20 years since they won 9 for the first (and only) time in school history. They lose their entire offensive line, and their quarterback has the arm strength of a 6 year old Hounded. But, for reasons no one can really articulate, there's this narrative among sportswriters that Curvedbill Blackundershirt is one of the nation's elite coaches and, on wings of flailing playcards, will lead the black and gray faithful to the promised land.

douglasbader

Reaction score
No kidding, which is why it's obvious clickbait nonsense.

Georgia: wins 10 games pretty much every single year and is basically a fixture in the top 10 (but it doesn't stop Hey Guys from calling them perennially overrated). No one would bat an eye if you put them 10th and you probably wouldn't even bother to read why.

Iowa State: has never, ever won 10 games and it's been 20 years since they won 9 for the first (and only) time in school history. They lose their entire offensive line, and their quarterback has the arm strength of a 6 year old Hounded. But, for reasons no one can really articulate, there's this narrative among sportswriters that Curvedbill Blackundershirt is one of the nation's elite coaches and, on wings of flailing playcards, will lead the black and gray faithful to the promised land.
Not to mention their schedule isn't ideal next year. @Iowa @Texas @Oklahoma State @TCU

Again, look at how they ended the season. They needed a 4th quarter comeback to survive 3 win Kansas at home. The got hammered by, in their words, a mediocre Kansas State team. Completely embarrassed in their bowl game against Notre Dame.

What about that says Top 10? Lol.

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score
The close games thing has validity but they also didn’t blow anyone good out. The computers have them around #30 which is good for a 6-loss team but doesn’t make them seem that undervalued.
The close games "thing" neglects the fact that they beat UNI on a miracle fumble recovery in 3 OT, beat Texas on a last minute FG after a gifted offside call and trailed Kansas deep in to the 4th quarter.

Reaction score
Iowa State loses 4 out of their 5 starting offensive linemen, best WR and slot in pettway, and two best defensive players in Lima/Spears..

Their road schedule @ Iowa, @ Kansas, @ Oklahoma State, @ TCU, @ Texas..

They're winning 11 games having to break in a whole new offensive line with that road schedule.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
This pleases me greatly. @Bovert summed it up well before. Sad iowa state is no fun, overly optimistic is a lot of fun.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
If you put Iowa State on one sideline, and on the other you put either Georgia, Penn State, Wisconsin, or Michigan, Iowa State is losing that game 95 times out of 100.

That ranking is absolutely insane. Their defense ended up being shit by the end of the year because coaches figured out they could run all over it.

They’re still living off the the Oklahoma and TCU wins in 2017.

Tugboat

Berntard
Reaction score
Iowa State at 10 is bizarre. I had the same initial thought as Doug. Had to be a mistake and he meant Iowa. I don’t think Iowa deserves to be #10, however they’re much closer than Iowa State.

Yes Iowa State lost some close games, but they also won close games against UNI and Texas.

Their defense, which is what has helped them get to respectability, is taking some major hits next year.

The only hope they have for a 8-9 win season is the potential of Baylor taking a step back, Texas remaining mediocre,OU regressing, and Kansas/TCU remain sub par.

TH1974

Loves China
Reaction score
Every team in the final AP poll's top 10 had at least 11 wins.

Only 3 teams with fewer than 10 wins made the top 25 at all.

ISU has a lot of work to do in 2020 to reach these levels.
There's no reason to believe Iowa State *won't* have their greatest season ever in 2020!