Iowa State Football Bashing Thread

Reaction score
With the way this day has gone, I’m sure osu will fuck up the onside kick

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
As a guy like myself who is an expert on everything, this fucking guy is an expert on everything and nothing.

He's a fucking child.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
How many podcasts is this fuck stain going to start?

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
He's done a sports betting one. One with his pastor, I don't recall if it was political or what it was about. I'm sure there's others

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Men talking about poker is right up there. I see that in his future at some point.
Yeah, all it will take is him participating in a $10 buy in charity tournament and a few episodes of Poker After Dark and he’ll be acting like he’s Texas Dolly.

“I found this book called Super System, and let me tell you, it’s FASCINATING”.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
He's done a sports betting one. One with his pastor, I don't recall if it was political or what it was about. I'm sure there's others
It’s mind blowing that he thinks he’s that interesting of a human being

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Looking back on it, because of the time it happened, Jon Miller kinda did something similar. Had the Hawkeye site, got a radio gig, all of the sudden was on Mediacom, hosted shit with Zabel, then drove to Chicago once.

Only difference is Jon didn’t have the luxury of smart phones and podcasts. I guarantee he would have done similar shit at the same age.

thrawn

Reaction score
Looking back on it, because of the time it happened, Jon Miller kinda did something similar. Had the Hawkeye site, got a radio gig, all of the sudden was on Mediacom, hosted shit with Zabel, then drove to Chicago once.

Only difference is Jon didn’t have the luxury of smart phones and podcasts. I guarantee he would have done similar shit at the same age.
Jon wanted to be the successor to Zabel, not the job specifically but the emotional leader of Hawkeye fandom. You could actually tell that he had some reverence for him when they had the postgame.

Chris apparently wants to be the Joe Rogan sort of Everyman/Renaissance man of Iowa State.

Jon was more successful in sheer numbers (he did make BTN, the WHO slot is pretty big, KXNO rated better than now), Chris is probably more successful within the ISU community.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Jon wanted to be the successor to Zabel, not the job specifically but the emotional leader of Hawkeye fandom. You could actually tell that he had some reverence for him when they had the postgame.

Chris apparently wants to be the Joe Rogan sort of Everyman/Renaissance man of Iowa State.

Jon was more successful in sheer numbers (he did make BTN, the WHO slot is pretty big, KXNO rated better than now), Chris is probably more successful within the ISU community.
in Chris’ defense, is this really a bad idea, given the evolution of how people consume media?

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score
Jon at least stuck to a topic he was familiar with. Hawkeye sports.

Chris has portrayed expertise and fascination/kind of a hobby/does podcasts in parenting, stonks, auto racing, physical fitness, local newspapers, bourbon, “the business of sports”, Coronavirus, craft beer, digital media, fundraising, gambling, WWE, rural Iowa, fireworks, country music, hip hop music, UFC, tailgating, fantasy football, the Liberty Bowl, drinking, European soccer, Iowa State football, Iowa State basketball, Iowa State WBB, smoking meat, mentoring, Major League Baseball, legal matters, popular culture, politics, sports marketing. I’m sure I’m missing a lot.

Last edited:

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
Jon at least stuck to a topic he was familiar with and knowledgeable of. Hawkeye sports.

Chris has portrayed expertise and fascination/kind of a hobby/does podcasts in parenting, stonks, auto racing, physical fitness, local newspapers, bourbon, “the business of sports”, Coronavirus, craft beer, digital media, fundraising, gambling, WWE, rural Iowa, fireworks, country music, hip hop music, UFC, tailgating, fantasy football, the Liberty Bowl, drinking, European soccer, Iowa State football, Iowa State basketball, Iowa State WBB, smoking meat, mentoring, Major League Baseball, legal matters, popular culture, politics, sports marketing. I’m sure I’m missing a lot.
I would like this except for the part about you saying Jon was knowledgeable about Hawkeye sports.

thrawn

Reaction score
in Chris’ defense, is this really a bad idea, given the evolution of how people consume media?
If people are willing to listen to him or pay money for ads on his show, it’s a fine idea. If people want politics or life advice from someone you know about because he talks about your favourite sports team, have at it. Same with Rob or Jon.

I’m still going to make fun of it.

douglasbader

Reaction score
It is like 4 things at once.

He has an inflated ego as he is King of the Dorks in the Ames realm because they are mostly small town dipshits types that go crazy when they see the local weather guy at the grocery store as if Brad Pitt was buying produce. He's got a rich guy on the hook to run his shitty little empire of a site complete with office space and even young female staff member that worships him. Desperate dork advertisers that actually want to pay to run ads and give him free stuff. A wife that has a real job/business that unfortunately let him impregnate her multiple times.

You have to hand it to him, he's fooled everyone. He has a staff of people that do the actual work for him. Stanz does what his job was. He pays Rob Gray and a few others some money to write content. He's got that young girl in love with him to do his social media and random other work.

This lets him have a lot of free time to fill. That is why you see 5 different half-assed podcasts that range from gambling to drinking to talking about aliens and whatever comes into his empty skull. Multiple websites on racing. No real plan, just a "new" idea that he thinks he can capitalize on quickly when he gets bored with doing the actual work it takes. Remember a few months ago when he put out the tweet saying he was looking to get into the e-sports thing and asking people if they would pay him money to set up EA Sports NCAA Football games?

It is all pretty simple. He found something that sort of works with Cyclone Fanatic (even though they have to beg for patron money because he has a multiple person staff when a single half motivated person could run it) and has actual advertisers.

Now he is trying to make a racing website. A gambling podcast. A drinking podcast. It is all so he can sell ad space while also acting like he has some super important entertaining stuff to say and also trying to get free shit.

It's sort of funny thought to see how much fatter, balder and uglier he has gotten in a really short amount of time. It seems like yesterday that he was a young and sort of normally fit guy with a full head of hair making predictions in that suit shop with the skinny twink old guy. Now he looks like the fat, paunchy, tired, balding, puffy faced alcoholic he is.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I forgot to add, he has a whole lot of entitled Jon Miller in him.

I laughed a few weeks ago when he posted on twitter that he was choosing not to cover the Texas Tech vs. Iowa State football game because he needed a break and wanted to take his little girl to the game.

The guy has one fucking job, and that is to cover Iowa State football and basketball. Even in a pandemic shortened season where he has gotten more time with his kids than ever while media members all over the country lose their jobs and he begs for patron money, he has the balls to take the day off covering a home game.

newsbreaker

Got the top grade in his torts class
Reaction score
Wasn’t Jon Miller briefly the WHO radio “sports director?” I seek to remember that announcement, as if it were a bid deal, because something something Reagan and Zabel.

For all the ridiculous things that are true about Miller, he’s been able to make an actual living doing something else. Hey Guys has the only job he’s capable of holding. He almost has enough half-assed interests to fill a single general interest, listens-because-we-like-the-same-football-team podcast. Instead, ten different topic-specific podcasts, none of which will exist in a year.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Wasn’t Jon Miller briefly the WHO radio “sports director?” I seek to remember that announcement, as if it were a bid deal, because something something Reagan and Zabel.

For all the ridiculous things that are true about Miller, he’s been able to make an actual living doing something else. Hey Guys has the only job he’s capable of holding. He almost has enough half-assed interests to fill a single general interest, listens-because-we-like-the-same-football-team podcast. Instead, ten different topic-specific podcasts, none of which will exist in a year.
That's because Miller doesn't watch a good chunk of iowa games, or at least didn't for a while. He'd jump on Twitter in the 2nd half

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
I forgot to add, he has a whole lot of entitled Jon Miller in him.

I laughed a few weeks ago when he posted on twitter that he was choosing not to cover the Texas Tech vs. Iowa State football game because he needed a break and wanted to take his little girl to the game.

The guy has one fucking job, and that is to cover Iowa State football and basketball. Even in a pandemic shortened season where he has gotten more time with his kids than ever while media members all over the country lose their jobs and he begs for patron money, he has the balls to take the day off covering a home game.
hahaha I didn't know that. What a dolt. Time with your family is of course important but he chose not only a weekend job, but a job limited to specific weekends. Take your daughter to the apple orchard on a Tuesday or whatever.

It'd be like being a CPA and taking a long vacation over tax season.

The Incredible Hawk

Will Spineboard You
Reaction score
Jon at least stuck to a topic he was familiar with. Hawkeye sports.

nfw

douglasbader

Reaction score
hahaha I didn't know that. What a dolt. Time with your family is of course important but he chose not only a weekend job, but a job limited to specific weekends. Take your daughter to the apple orchard on a Tuesday or whatever.

It'd be like being a CPA and taking a long vacation over tax season.

douglasbader

Reaction score
As you said, he is a guy that could take his daughter anywhere at most anytime. His one job is to be fully engaged and cover Iowa State football and basketball.

Nope, "choosing quality time with my girl on a beautiful day."

It's so fucking arrogant and insulting to everyone in the sports media industry. Somehow the State of Iowa ended up with him and Morehouse, two of the dumbest and most entitled twats around.

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
Yeah that's something.

It's obvious he's in a complete bubble. For Morehouse, too, though probably to a lesser extent because he had more actual job requirements.

He has a job covering his favorite sports teams with time and freedom to do whatever the fuck else he wants but pretty soon it just becomes what he's used to so he thinks a vacation day during the season makes sense. It's textbook hedonic adaptation.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Yeah that's something.

It's obvious he's in a complete bubble. For Morehouse, too, though probably to a lesser extent because he had more actual job requirements.

He has a job covering his favorite sports teams with time and freedom to do whatever the fuck else he wants but pretty soon it just becomes what he's used to so he thinks a vacation day during the season makes sense. It's textbook hedonic adaptation.
It also is laughable when 50% of his twitter feed seems to be dedicated to showing his followers what an incredible dad he is.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score

Right, my point about Miller is if you took his current situation and placed it in the 2005 version of him, he'd definitely have a propane podcast. He'd probably have a Star Wars one as well.

newsbreaker

Reaction score
Right, my point about Miller is if you took his current situation and placed it in the 2005 version of him, he'd definitely have a propane podcast. He'd probably have a Star Wars one as well.
That's fair, and you're probably right.

I'll give Miller a little bit of credit; he at least went out and found a real job. Now, admittedly, Hey Guys probably can't do that because he doesn't have any actual skills, but at least Miller tried. And I'll give the benefit of the doubt and assume he was momentarily sincere when he "retired," even though it was predictably short-lived. Hey Guys will never step away, even for a second.

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Reaction score
Except on a beautiful Saturday to spend with his daughter

newsbreaker

Reaction score
Except on a beautiful Saturday to spend with his daughter
That's performative bullshit. It has to be announced days in advance that he won't make 20 tweets read by 200 people during a football game, BUT FEAR NOT, he will be there for post-game coverage. And by "won't make 20 tweets," in reality there will be an imperceptible drop in tweet volume, but instead of saying nothing about football, he will say nothing about how different it is to "be a fan."

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
As you said, he is a guy that could take his daughter anywhere at most anytime. His one job is to be fully engaged and cover Iowa State football and basketball.

Nope, "choosing quality time with my girl on a beautiful day."

It's so fucking arrogant and insulting to everyone in the sports media industry. Somehow the State of Iowa ended up with him and Morehouse, two of the dumbest and most entitled twats around.
Not to mention he could also spend quality time with his daughter any one of the many nights when he's drinking and watching TV.

Maybe don't turn on cartoons and have your infant stare at the screen, maybe instead use that opportunity for some quality time.

I'll say it, he's a pretty shitty companion for his wife and probably doesn't pull his fair share as a parent.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Not to mention he could also spend quality time with his daughter any one of the many nights when he's drinking and watching TV.

Maybe don't turn on cartoons and have your infant stare at the screen, maybe instead use that opportunity for some quality time.

I'll say it, he's a pretty shitty companion for his wife and probably doesn't pull his fair share as a parent.
Kids don’t recognize the concept of work hours. If you are paying attention to them during the week they aren’t going to care if you are at a football game on Saturday,, or vice versa.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score

He works from home the vast majority of the time, and has posted how he's home with his kid most of those days. I think that covers "his fair share" whatever the hell that means.

Also, it keeps being brought up as a feather in Miller's cap that he has a "real" job. How is moving a thousand miles away from the team you cover to sell propane and propane accessories a preferable position to basically creating a job covering sports and getting paid to do it preferrable? I'd take William's job 10 times out of 10 over Miller's.