Iowa State Football Bashing Thread

Pipiyopee

Reaction score
How do you not leave if you’re Matt Campbell?

This was the year. Your best team ever was going to prove you are the bear now. Instead, reality hits you right in the horse teeth: you’ll always be little brother. Always in the shadow of Iowa City, now and forever.

Get out while the gettin is good buddy.

Hawkmi

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

This was the year. Your best team ever was going to prove you are the bear now. Instead, reality hits you right in the horse teeth: you’ll always be little brother. Always in the shadow of Iowa City, now and forever.

I think he's either gone this year or there for the long haul.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score

I was thinking about this today. His only chance is if Iowa completely botches Kirks replacement. Given the fact Iowa has only had 2 coaches in 40+ years means they’re going to have some really good candidates when that day comes.

It’s entirely possible he’s happy there and knows he essentially has a lifetime contract. But continued success when you rarely land even the top prospects in your own state becomes harder and harder.

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score
Hahahaha! Only ranked high because you get to play the joke that is the B10 West!!!
Haven’t we played more teams from their conference than from the B10 West? I’ll check again but that’s what I’m thinking.

Pipiyopee

Reaction score
I was thinking about this today. His only chance is if Iowa completely botches Kirks replacement. Given the fact Iowa has only had 2 coaches in 40+ years means they’re going to have some really good candidates when that day comes.

It’s entirely possible he’s happy there and knows he essentially has a lifetime contract. But continued success when you rarely land even the top prospects in your own state becomes harder and harder.
And when does the window close. He may already have fewer options. That could get worse before better.

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
And when does the window close. He may already have fewer options. That could get worse before better.
Yep. He needs to strike while the iron is hot. Plus, I really think the Big 12 situation is going to make it harder to stay. It will likely mean less revenue for ISU and less likely they can keep up with his salary.

Pipiyopee

Reaction score
Yep. He needs to strike while the iron is hot. Plus, I really think the Big 12 situation is going to make it harder to stay. It will likely mean less revenue for ISU and less likely they can keep up with his salary.
And I don’t see how recruiting gets easier in the new G6 conference. Sure Cinci is ranked #3. Half their roster is from Ohio, and they are closer to the east coast.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
Haven’t we played more teams from their conference than from the B10 West? I’ll check again but that’s what I’m thinking.
I was pointing out that they regularly take shots at the B10 West…while we have the tougher SOS roughly 60-70% of the time. And that’s AFTER taking the hit of having them and their typically dogshit record factored in to our SOS.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score

On top of the fact you lose like 22-24 starters…your in state rival is going to be really fucking good…again. This was the year if there ever was one to start changing the narrative

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
And make 800k a year
This is the issue. It’s not just his salary, it’s his assistants, who are also his friends. He seems like a loyal, decent, guy. Those guys he coaches with are friends. If he can take them elsewhere and make significant money, that’s tough to say no to.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
Playing against the murders row of defense known as the Big12.

Last edited:

thrawn

Reaction score
Honestly, that says more about how dumb the thinking on the Heisman is/has become than it does about CW.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score

I know that any program can fall off, but it seems like even if Ferentz retires in the next couple years the options are going to be....

- Phil Parker
- LeVar Woods
- Seth MouthBreather
- Mark Stoops
- Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz, Kirk's son
- Jerry Montgomery

All of these are good options. I think Phil gets first option followed by Mark Stoops.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
I know that any program can fall off, but it seems like even if Ferentz retires in the next couple years the options are going to be....

- Phil Parker
- LeVar Woods
- Seth MouthBreather
- Mark Stoops
- Jerry Montgomery

All of these are good options. I think Phil gets first option followed by Mark Stoops.
I think if Phil wanted to, he would have. Kirk loves working with his son, he’s said as much, and he’s dead nuts right.
No one is an invested in Iowa Football as Brian.Maybe James, but that’s the list. I hope Kirk gets to hand the job to him. That will mean he’s done something impossible, and it’s always good to have those sorts of people on your side.

Reaction score
Actual discussiom topic though: i think we are entering an era of position/coordinators being reversed and not seeking HC jobs. It used to br everyone basically was dead set on HC for both legacy and $$$. Now you can make seven figures as an assistant. Most HCs dont pan out and if youre in your 40s its not always easy to transition back to assistant / teaching role.

Iowa had long extolled assistants and not even those from here - Joe Moore and the other OL coach from ND (name escaping me) that Barnett had a reco from.

Hayden legendary tree vs. Kirk is a good discussion point but in some ways (d especially) were more stable and better served i think.

Hawkmi

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Cyclone fans are pissed about our 3-2 record and how that record came about, but the fact of the matter is all the analytics models still have ISU in the top 15 because we are really efficient on both sides of the ball. So even though we're unranked by AP/USAToday, the analytics like Sagarin are counting us as a good win for Iowa.

Sagarin has ISU at #12 (Iowa #5). FEI has ISU at #9 (Iowa #6). SP+ has ISU at #11 (Iowa #16). Massey has ISU at #16 (Iowa #3). ESPN FPI has ISU at #8 (Iowa #13).

And look, I get it - "you play to win the game." But when you look at what it takes to win games, ISU largely does that stuff. Human polls don't care how you win, just that you win. The analytics care more about how well and how consistently you play, even if you lose. And ISU has played well enough in general to be 4-1 or 5-0 so far. But a few bad plays here and there have tripped us up.

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score

- Phil Parker
- LeVar Woods
- Seth MouthBreather
- Mark Stoops
- Jerry Montgomery

I heard a respected reporter on a podcast this week wondering if LSU would hire Stoops.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
I think if Phil wanted to, he would have. Kirk loves working with his son, he’s said as much, and he’s dead nuts right.
No one is an invested in Iowa Football as Brian.Maybe James, but that’s the list. I hope Kirk gets to hand the job to him. That will mean he’s done something impossible, and it’s always good to have those sorts of people on your side.
I’m coming around in the idea of Brian as HC. My rationale isn’t because of the success he’s had as OC, more so that he seems better suited to be a HC than an OC. Seems like he would be a good leader, molded and mentored by his dad and will make for a very easy transition. Most “coach in waiting” things have gone to shit. No way that would happen with Kirk turning things over to Brian. And as has been mentioned, from 2015 on, the floor seems to be rising for this program so whatever it takes to keep it on similar footing seems like it’s going to work out.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
I’m coming around in the idea of Brian as HC. My rationale isn’t because of the success he’s had as OC, more so that he seems better suited to be a HC than an OC. Seems like he would be a good leader, molded and mentored by his dad and will make for a very easy transition. Most “coach in waiting” things have gone to shit. No way that would happen with Kirk turning things over to Brian. And as has been mentioned, from 2015 on, the floor seems to be rising for this program so whatever it takes to keep it on similar footing seems like it’s going to work out.
Brian leaves a lot to be desired as OC but there's no doubt he's been a huge reason for the recent sustained success. He's been bred to be the HC at Iowa.

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
If Kirk didn’t want to hang around 6-7 more years, I’d be open to the idea of Stoops for 3-5 years until Brian takes over in early-mid 40’s.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
I heard from a few people close to the program on Saturday that expect it to be LaVar.
Doesn’t look like anyone has created the Kirk’s son, Brian Ferentz shut up tantrum gif yet, but this would be the perfect spot for it.

Reactions: Jim

thrawn

Reaction score
The racism stuff is a problem for Brian. I don’t think he’s a racist and a lot of the allegations got increasingly ridiculous, but Brian did not come off well.

BuffettHawk

Useless
Reaction score
The racism stuff is a problem for Brian. I don’t think he’s a racist and a lot of the allegations got increasingly ridiculous, but Brian did not come off well.
Prior to that even, Brian rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Perhaps he can make all that go away if Kirk sticks around for another 5 years or so, Brian demonstrates maturity and similar traits as his father, and the program has continued success.