Iowa State Football Bashing Thread

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Just have a potluck of Thanksgiving dinner leftovers. Turkey and dressing sandwiches Dubuque style.
Wait, has Dubuque claimed ownership of a super common thing? Or has my family been doing this thing without knowing the Dubuque influence?

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
And a barrage of candied yams is being hurled at the officials amid a crescendo of boos. The Cyclone faithful showing their collective displeasure with the call, but video evidence clearly showed movement on the left side of the line. We’ll pause for commercial while the grounds crew scrapes up these sweet potatoes with their bare hands. Just underway here in Ames, and it’ll be first and fifteen for the Cyclones when we come back.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
I mean….we did sort of sneak Thanksgiving in there. Totally caught them off guard
Kinda like how the start of the season snuck up on Bart’s and the Iowa Athletic Department so they sent out a plea for volunteers to fill normally paid jobs? Because it’s a pandemic with an on going super weird job market.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Kinda like how the start of the season snuck up on Bart’s and the Iowa Athletic Department so they sent out a plea for volunteers to fill normally paid jobs? Because it’s a pandemic with an on going super weird job market.

And Barta never even looked into the potluck angle. For shame.

Reaction score

Completely wrong on all counts. The volunteers are volunteering for non-profits that get paid by the AD. This is historically HS sports and fine arts boosters, but it can be any non-profit. For example, at the PSU game I bought a bottle of water from student volunteers for the fine arts boosters at my local HS.

Edit: I'll give you it was a badly written article, but the idea of volunteering for these positions is always to fundraise for area non-profits.

Edit2: The article was written by Vanessa Miller whose only goal in life is to make the AD look bad. Not surprising that she left out the beneficiaries of the volunteers.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Just the dumbest fans

They always dramatically over state the difference in conference strength. I pulled down the Massey composite rankings:

1637697368835.png

So there's a couple ways of looking at this. In general, the Big 12 as a whole has a higher average team ranking than the Big 10 West. But what's probably more fair is that by virtue of easy 2021 crossovers, Iowa's 2021 schedule was pretty easy - Penn State is the 4th best East team, and they got the two worst East teams.

1637697402514.png

So all in all, that's true. But they always ignore what those same rankings say about *them*. Currently Iowa is playing 1 team better than them, 8 teams worse. ISU is playing 3 teams better than them, 6 teams worse.

1637697595142.png 1637697627688.png

But if Iowa and ISU were to swap places, they wouldn't just swap relative ease of schedule. Iowa in the Big 12 would play 3 teams better than them, 6 teams worse as ISU does this year. But Iowa State would still have to play 3 teams that are better than them, because Iowa State is not that good.

1637697676513.png 1637697719067.png

TLDR: Yeah Iowa had an easier conference schedule than ISU in 2021, but Iowa State fans don't realize that one of the things that makes their schedule seem harder is that they have to play it.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
Completely wrong on all counts. The volunteers are volunteering for non-profits that get paid by the AD. This is historically HS sports and fine arts boosters, but it can be any non-profit. For example, at the PSU game I bought a bottle of water from student volunteers for the fine arts boosters at my local HS.

Edit: I'll give you it was a badly written article, but the idea of volunteering for these positions is always to fundraise for area non-profits.

Edit2: The article was written by Vanessa Miller whose only goal in life is to make the AD look bad. Not surprising that she left out the beneficiaries of the volunteers.
No, the AD was looking for U of I employees to help staff things.

Reaction score
They always dramatically over state the difference in conference strength. I pulled down the Massey composite rankings:

View attachment 31691

So there's a couple ways of looking at this. In general, the Big 12 as a whole has a higher average team ranking than the Big 10 West. But what's probably more fair is that by virtue of easy 2021 crossovers, Iowa's 2021 schedule was pretty easy - Penn State is the 4th best East team, and they got the two worst East teams.

View attachment 31692

So all in all, that's true. But they always ignore what those same rankings say about *them*. Currently Iowa is playing 1 team better than them, 8 teams worse. ISU is playing 3 teams better than them, 6 teams worse.

View attachment 31693 View attachment 31694

But if Iowa and ISU were to swap places, they wouldn't just swap relative ease of schedule. Iowa in the Big 12 would play 3 teams better than them, 6 teams worse as ISU does this year. But Iowa State would still have to play 3 teams that are better than them, because Iowa State is not that good.

View attachment 31695 View attachment 31696

TLDR: Yeah Iowa had an easier conference schedule than ISU in 2021, but Iowa State fans don't realize that one of the things that makes their schedule seem harder is that they have to play it.
Thanks MikeyBlum!

newsbreaker

Got the top grade in his torts class
Reaction score
There was an episode of Friends about that sandwich 20 years ago. Maybe one of the writers is from Dubuque
I was talking about them on my radio show about 20 years ago, and someone called and said they were relatively common in the NE, but had never seen one anywhere else.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
We’ve done that forever. It just sort of seems like a thing that makes sense.

winmac

Reaction score
There was an episode of Friends about that sandwich 20 years ago. Maybe one of the writers is from Dubuque
The sandwich they talked about on Friends bears no resemblance to the Dubuque turkey and dressing sandwich. On Friends, the sandwich was distinct layers of sliced leftover turkey, stuffing and the "moistmaker" (a slice of bread soaked in gravy). The Dubuque turkey and dressing sandwich is shredded/cut up leftover turkey, dressing and gravy all mixed together to make a glop that is then put on a bun. Its like your dog ate thanksgiving dinner, then threw up and then you put it on a bun.

newsbreaker

Reaction score
The sandwich they talked about on Friends bears no resemblance to the Dubuque turkey and dressing sandwich. On Friends, the sandwich was distinct layers of sliced leftover turkey, stuffing and the "moistmaker" (a slice of bread soaked in gravy). The Dubuque turkey and dressing sandwich is shredded/cut up leftover turkey, dressing and gravy all mixed together to make a glop that is then put on a bun. Its like your dog ate thanksgiving dinner, then threw up and then you put it on a bun.
And then it's most definitely not a specifically thanksgiving food. Cremers sells that shit by the pound all year long. They mix up these 5 and 10 lb pans, have them in a cooler by the counter, and on your average Saturday they're sold out by noon. It's a common catering option for weddings.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
Oh

winmac

Reaction score
The Kraft single is a nice touch. I know at Thanksgiving dinner I’m always thinking that turkey and stuffing would be a little better with a cheese slice.
The slice of cheese threw me for a loop. I've never seen anyone have cheese with a T&D sandwich.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
It’s The Pilgrim, and super common. End of story.

newsbreaker

Reaction score
A pilgrim has cheese and cranberry sauce. Turkey and Dressing in Dubuque has neither.

They aren't the same thing, what they eat in Dubuque ins't common (and neither is the "pilgrim," for that matter), and Alex is a dumbass.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
The slice of cheese threw me for a loop. I've never seen anyone have cheese with a T&D sandwich.
Me neither but I’ve also only witnessed roughly 2 people eat a T&D sandwich in my life.

Dolomitey

McCarthyist fuck
Reaction score
My mom liked going to craft shows on Saturdays when I was really young and turkey dressing glop sandwiches were the highlight. No cheese ever.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
I think occasionally you see this where a conference or team graduates enough, or has enough guys leave early….that the guys that remain, are sort of AA by default, simply because there aren’t enough remaining known commodities.

Hall is a fantastic RB, Rose is a really good LB, and Kolar is a decent college level player In a conference that doesn’t have a ton of elite talent. Purdy, Lol.

But take Rose vs Jack Campbell for example. At the beginning of the year, there were probably more folks than you’d care to admit that would take Rose over Campbell. Primarily because Rose had 35-40 starts. Campbell had zero starts and had only played in 5 games. A full season of tape on the two and I think it’s uber clear that Campbell is the better of the two and has a much higher NFL ceiling
This is perfect. With this week's announcements, the three players you list above are finalists for the Doak Walker (Hall--"fantasic" OK), Lombardi (Rose -- "really good but no Jack Campbell" homer undersell), and Mackey (Kolar --"decent college level player" LOL) Awards.

But it's ISU fans that are out of line in their praise of their players...not the level headed Iowa fans that may just be biased against them...

Might Campbell be a better pro than Rose? I'm on record as saying probably. But no need to knock down the quality of college players they are just because they're on the other team. Even Purdy has been dragged by Hawk fans for years and plenty of ISU fans...but there's no doubt that he's the best ISU QB ever, and on the short list of best QBs this state have ever seen. To compare him to Petras and Padilla is beyond LOL worthy. (much as a couple of his bad highlights are...but the good ones never seem to make it over to this site...)

Much like LInderbaum deserves every bit of praise he earns, and should be a shoe in for the Lombardi and Rimington although I'm guessing Hutchinson wins the Lombardi.

SuperHans

goes by the name "Ashton"
Reaction score
This is perfect. With this week's announcements, the three players you list above are finalists for the Doak Walker (Hall--"fantasic" OK), Lombardi (Rose -- "really good but no Jack Campbell" homer undersell), and Mackey (Kolar --"decent college level player" LOL) Awards.

But it's ISU fans that are out of line in their praise of their players...not the level headed Iowa fans that may just be biased against them...

Might Campbell be a better pro than Rose? I'm on record as saying probably. But no need to knock down the quality of college players they are just because they're on the other team. Even Purdy has been dragged by Hawk fans for years and plenty of ISU fans...but there's no doubt that he's the best ISU QB ever, and on the short list of best QBs this state have ever seen. To compare him to Petras and Padilla is beyond LOL worthy. (much as a couple of his bad highlights are...but the good ones never seem to make it over to this site...)

Much like LInderbaum deserves every bit of praise he earns, and should be a shoe in for the Lombardi and Rimington although I'm guessing Hutchinson wins the Lombardi.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Even Purdy has been dragged by Hawk fans for years and plenty of ISU fans...but there's no doubt that he's the best ISU QB ever, and on the short list of best QBs this state have ever seen. To compare him to Petras and Padilla is beyond LOL worthy. (much as a couple of his bad highlights are...but the good ones never seem to make it over to this site...)

Holy fucking shit, no. You are one of the most level headed Iowa State posters, but lately you have had some pretty awful takes.

There is no doubt that he's the best ISU QB ever? I question that, but ok, will give you that one as it is a really low bar to clear.

The short list of the best QB's this state has ever seen?? Fuck no. Absolutely not. Like I mentioned earlier, this is a guy that was benched against Drake and twice this year including a game less than a week ago.

Purdy isn't even sniffing the Top 10 of best QB's that the state of Iowa has ever seen. What an absurd statement.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
And fuck all you retards that call @eclone some above the fray levelheaded Clone fan. He’s just as big a faggot as the rest of them. Always trying to throw in subtle “hey, look at Iowa State” shit on a Hawkeye site where no one gives two fucks.