**Iowa vs. Purdue Basketball - 2/5/20 - 6pm - BTN**

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
That was not an enjoyable game watch for me.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
O/U 3s Purdue hits in Iowa City? I’m setting it at 4.5.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
Have an opportunity to compete for a big ten title and lay a complete egg

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
that was a humiliating performance. Just embarrassing

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
I didn't get to watch much of the game live. How does Garza only get one board?

Reaction score
This team hadn't packed it in all year. Kept fighting and showing toughness from deficits all year. It's only one game but seeing them just quit, play dumber than belief and immediately turn to pout mode is concerning. Bad games happen when the other team can't miss. But that should be about a 20 point loss on a buzzsaw night vs. a bubble team. Not 36. Hopefully it's one night and I'm overreacting but we had so much positive buzz in so many aspects.

Our defensive rank has to fall like 20 spots after that.

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
I’m not sure that’s just simply flushable and forgotten. They barely competed. They were abused on defense and abused on the glass. Those aren’t things you can just avoid and move on, or flush. They are major issues that need to be corrected.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
This team hadn't packed it in all year. Kept fighting and showing toughness from deficits all year. It's only one game but seeing them just quit, play dumber than belief and immediately turn to pout mode is concerning. Bad games happen when the other team can't miss. But that should be about a 20 point loss on a buzzsaw night vs. a bubble team. Not 36. Hopefully it's one night and I'm overreacting but we had so much positive buzz in so many aspects.

The next game is really going to make or break the season. If they don't show up against Nebrantska at home, things are going to get ugly

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
This game was a mess from the start. The zone Iowa was in was awful. Couldn't get a rebound and gave Purdue early confidence. Then of course they couldn't miss and it snowballed.

CJ Fredrick was the most disappointing player. 4 turnovers and his mentality changed from taking open shots to all of a sudden wanting to drive the ball and shoot these difficult pull up 17 foot jumpers because he happened to hit a few last game.

He fucked Iowa the 2 times they legitimately had a chance to make a comeback. Once in the first half when they were down 13 and had a chance to cut into it and he dribbled too far in and turned it over. Then in the second half there is still a ton of time and can cut the lead to 18 and Iowa is getting multiple turnovers off pressure and he gets a wide open three in the corner that he shot fakes and drives into a big and turns it over. Then the next play he fumbles it on the break and turns it over.

I hope to fuck he learned his lesson that he is the best 3 point shooter in the Big Ten and to shoot the fucking ball.

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
Glad I didn’t watch this one live. Can’t sugarcoat this effort. Yeah, Purdue was white hot from
3 but the overall effort on the defensive end was abysmal.

Reaction score
Offensively we'll be fine but the biggest concern there is that at least 3 of our guys don't have to be guarded. Don't even need to get within 8 feet of Evelyn or Toussaint. Can sag and play Pemsl 1 on 1 and he'll not do anything. Connor can mostly be sagged on and help off of. Kriener 0 for his last 7 from 3, will be over 2 weeks without a make.

Reaction score
Bad nights happen and you'll get blown out occasionally. I'm usually Mr. Calm when that happens. Losing by 36 to a bubble team with a complete lack of giving a shit felt very different. It will also have an outsized impact on metrics used for seeding as well as human impact.

Hopefully not confidence/toughness in this team because they've been awesome in that regard all year.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Purdue played with a ton of energy early and Iowa never matched it. That shit happens.

Zone was bad because they couldn’t rebound out of it. The 3/4 court press was bad because it put them in a ton of scramble situations. And of course Purdue made 19 threes.

douglasbader

Reaction score

I don't think it is freak out time yet. The bigger overall issue is this was the 5th game in a row they have had to climb out of a sizable deficit. It worked 4 of 5 times before, but the 6th time was too much of a hole. You can even go back to the Northwestern game that was a struggle until about 10 minutes to go in the game.

Maryland at home is the last time they got an early lead and kept it throughout the game.

Nebrantska at home is coming at the right time. It is a weekend game and will be like banging a slump buster fat chick after a breakup. Hopefully.

CamelTones

Reaction score
Bad nights happen and you'll get blown out occasionally. I'm usually Mr. Calm when that happens. Losing by 36 to a bubble team with a complete lack of giving a shit felt very different. It will also have an outsized impact on metrics used for seeding as well as human impact.

Hopefully not confidence/toughness in this team because they've been awesome in that regard all year.
They have at least 9 games left to fix the metrics.

I really don’t think it’ll have much of an impact on them. The DePaul game didn’t.

They need to get off to better starts.

douglasbader

Reaction score

Yeah, calm down. I don't think the committee or people in general are going to remember a sleepy Wednesday night loss (even a blowout loss to Purdue) at Mackey Arena when the 2nd week of March rolls around.

Purdue beat the shit out of multiple other good teams at home this season. Sure, it wasn't 36 but it was 20+ in those games until they settled in at 19 point losses.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Purdue played with a ton of energy early and Iowa never matched it. That shit happens.

Zone was bad because they couldn’t rebound out of it. The 3/4 court press was bad because it put them in a ton of scramble situations. And of course Purdue made 19 threes.
They made a few contested shots, but for the most part we let their shooters shoot.

douglasbader

Reaction score
They have at least 9 games left to fix the metrics.

I really don’t think it’ll have much of an impact on them. The DePaul game didn’t.

They need to get off to better starts.
Wieskamp and Fredrick need to be infinitely more selfish and Fran needs to work harder to run some sets for them. Garza is incredible, but Iowa starts off every game trying to force feed him at the detriment of others. Post players can heat up or get what they need at most any point in the game.

douglasbader

Reaction score
@HiawathaHawk you are right about the metrics.

Dropped them from #13 in KenPom to #21. #4 Offense and #114 Defense.

Woof.

Pinehawk

Regina Douche
Reaction score
That offensive outburst was ridiculous.
They barely missed.
But, the few times they did, they were getting tons of offensive rebounds.
Didn’t expect that kind of performance at all.

douglasbader

Reaction score
That was on the road as well. Imagine how far they would have dropped if that loss was at home.

Reaction score
Purdue will not have a game shooting like that in the next 5 years. Iowa's D effort was bad.

douglasbader

Reaction score
@CamelTones couldn't be more right about needing to get off to a fast start going forward. If they don't, then from the 12 minute to maybe the 7:30 minute mark of the first half is always going to be a dead zone when they have to check in Bakar and Pemsl.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Pride would have been coming out in the second half and playing with some tenacity...not playing worse.
They actually did for a little while there. The press was working, rebounding and defense were better. Had the ball and could have cut it to 18 and were rolling (as much as you can call that rolling) and Fredrick made back to back terrible decisions and the game was over.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Purdue jumped 25 spots in offense from #77 to #52 after that. Lol.

CamelTones

Reaction score
@CamelTones couldn't be more right about needing to get off to a fast start going forward. If they don't, then from the 12 minute to maybe the 7:30 minute mark of the first half is always going to be a dead zone when they have to check in Bakar and Pemsl.
That stretch compounded the evening. You’re down 15, you can’t put a lineup on the floor that can’t score.

I still don’t understand how Fran justifies sitting both Garza and Wieskamp at the same time. One of them always has to be on the floor unless there is foul trouble.

Reactions: Jim

douglasbader

Reaction score
Iowa dropped from 13th to 21st in Kenpom. Defense fell about 35 spots (I believe it was 79 going into tonight; now it is 114). When is the last time an Iowa opponent made 19 threes @HawkLax6 ? Has it ever been done?
I am pretty sure Purdue made 20+ in Carver 2 years ago.

BluesHawk

Goes to Applebee’s for special occasions
Reaction score
I fully expected them to at least show some fight after halftime. But, well.