**Iowa vs. Purdue Basketball - 2/5/20 - 6pm - BTN**

Reaction score
I am pretty sure Purdue made 20+ in Carver 2 years ago.
11 had been the most this year. 13 the most last year at Nebrantska. Purdue was 20-33 at Iowa in '18. They still had a much worse offensive game than Purdue did tonight.
12 was the most in '17. 11 was the most in '16. 12 the most in '15. 14 the most in '14. 10 the most in '13. 13 the most in '12. 14 the most in '11.

So yeah not even close. 2 times in 10 years we've given up more than 14. 20 to Purdue in '18, 19 to Purdue tonight.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I think one other part of the game that pissed me off more than anything and had nothing to do with the players was Fran refusing to call a timeout that would have at least kept the game from becoming a complete fucking joke.

It was 79-50 with 9 minutes left and he had a lineup that had no prayer of scoring a point. It was blatantly obvious that a timeout was needed, but Fran has this weird fucking obsession with saving his timeouts and getting to the under 8 tv timeout without using one.

From 9 minutes left until the refs gave Pemsl a mercy block call call with 6 minutes left the game went from 79-50 to 92-53.

Fran should be borderline ashamed of himself he allowed that. Could have used a timeout or two and at least given the possibility that Iowa could have cut it down to a "respectable" under 20 point loss and avoided Purdue sending out their handicapped walk on to make a monkey show of the whole thing.

Reaction score
I think one other part of the game that pissed me off more than anything and had nothing to do with the players was Fran refusing to call a timeout that would have at least kept the game from becoming a complete fucking joke.

It was 79-50 with 9 minutes left and he had a lineup that had no prayer of scoring a point. It was blatantly obvious that a timeout was needed, but Fran has this weird fucking obsession with saving his timeouts and getting to the under 8 tv timeout without using one.

From 9 minutes left until the refs gave Pemsl a mercy block call call with 6 minutes left the game went from 79-50 to 92-53.

Fran should be borderline ashamed of himself he allowed that. Could have used a timeout or two and at least given the possibility that Iowa could have cut it down to a "respectable" under 20 point loss and avoided Purdue sending out their handicapped walk on to make a monkey show of the whole thing.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Connor McCaffery was -40 tonight
Connor is absolutely the worst PG ever when you are down big. I was laughing when down 30 he was slowing up the pace and walking the ball up and dribbling around for 20 seconds.

Reaction score
Connor is absolutely the worst PG ever when you are down big. I was laughing when down 30 he was slowing up the pace and walking the ball up and dribbling around for 20 seconds.
Flip side is Joe T. spazzing out and dribbing into a crowd for a turnover or having his man sag 8 feet and then immediately double off of him on a post touch. Or Bakari doing absolutely nothing.

Even if this was just an awful one game blip, this last stretch really exposes that we only have 3 guys who can score. For a team that's been top 20 across the board into February, we're critically thin.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Flip side is Joe T. spazzing out and dribbing into a crowd for a turnover or having his man sag 8 feet and then immediately double off of him on a post touch. Or Bakari doing absolutely nothing.

Even if this was just an awful one game blip, this last stretch really exposes that we only have 3 guys who can score. For a team that's been top 20 across the board into February, we're critically thin.
It won't always stay like that. Toussaint is going to have more good games where he has something like 14/7/5 and Kreiner will have some big games as well.

Ton of season left.

Reaction score
CJ was 2-for-2 from three. He's a guy that needs to shoot.
It's been said but he was the most disappointing guy tonight.

Mark Titus always says something like you should never be shooting above 45% from 3 because if you're above that, you're not shooting enough. CJ is 48% on the year, 40-83. He should be shooting them at least at the rate Joe is. Joe is averaging 5.3 attempts per game, CJ is at 4.1. Since coming back from the injury he's 17-37 in 7 games. 46% on 5.3 attempts per game.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
On the flip side, he should have been taking the ball and slowing the pace when Purdue was on that 17-0 run to start the game. Somehow Frederick kept getting the ball and bringing it up.

@HiawathaHawk did you listen to the post game? I’m curious what Fran had to say.

Reaction score
On the flip side, he should have been taking the ball and slowing the pace when Purdue was on that 17-0 run to start the game. Somehow Frederick kept getting the ball and bringing it up.

@HiawathaHawk did you listen to the post game? I’m curious what Fran had to say.
Yeah, not much noteworthy. Early giving them multiple chances every trip hurt. They got confidence, we were a step slow and late to react in every defense they tried. They got confident and hit shots, we started quick shooting. Took blame. Have to learn from the tape but can't beat them down with every mistake or scream at them, find the few positives that were there. Learn and move on for Nebrantska. Calm and measured like he normally is after bad losses.

The Incredible Hawk

Will Spineboard You
Reaction score
Does anyone else think the Garza face up jumper early in the clock when were down a shitload is a bad shot? I shudder everytime I see it when Iowa is losing.
It seems like he has the green light to shoot whenever, but he has been taking that shot a ton lately and usually with 15+ on the shot clock.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I don't think it is freak out time yet. The bigger overall issue is this was the 5th game in a row they have had to climb out of a sizable deficit. It worked 4 of 5 times before, but the 6th time was too much of a hole. You can even go back to the Northwestern game that was a struggle until about 10 minutes to go in the game.

Maryland at home is the last time they got an early lead and kept it throughout the game.

Nebrantska at home is coming at the right time. It is a weekend game and will be like banging a slump buster fat chick after a breakup. Hopefully.
They did the same thing last year in the second half of the conference schedule.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
The first 5 minutes being slow to every loose ball and rebound set the tone for the whole night. I turned it off pretty much after that stretch.

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
#81 in defensive efficiency before tonight’s game
#113 as of this moment

That’s a huge drop this far into the season.

Reaction score
They did the same thing last year in the second half of the conference schedule.
Not really.
Michigan: down 3 after 10, up 13 at half.
Indiana: up 3 after 10, up 8 at half.
Northwestern: down 4 after 10, down 6 at half.
Rutgers: down 2 after 10, down 3 at half.
Maryland: up 5 after 10, down 4 at half.
Indiana: tied after 10 and at half.
Ohio State: down 4 after 10, down 3 at half.
Rutgers: down 8 after 10, down 9 at half.
Wisconsin: down 4 after 10, down 9 at half.
Nebrantska: up 5 after 10, up 9 at half.
3/10 up after 10 and half. One tied in both. Two bad ones. The rest were within two possessions.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
I think it is important to not overreact. This team has been pretty consistent over the course of the season, save for a couple of real clunkers (DePaul, Purdue, and Nebrantska if we are counting that). Watching film, Fran should mostly blame the loss on tired legs. They will get back on track by shit stomping Nebrantska this weekend and hopefully we see better road efforts next week at IU and Minny

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Good thread. A familiar face makes an appearance.

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Reaction score
KenPom fell from 13 to 21. Defensive ranking from 81 to 114.
Some other team must've underperformed later in the evening. As of 10:40 pm, we're at #20 overall and #113 in D in KenPom.

I wouldn't have been particularly disappointed by losing to Purdue; they still have good athletes, a good coach and a tough crowd. They also took MSU apart there a couple of games ago. It was the depth and speed of the beatdown that was shocking. Bad outing for coaches and players alike. I agree with Doug that better use of timeouts might've helped, but we were probably going down tonight no matter what.

HawkBall23

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The players might not, but I got March 3 circled on my calendar. Purdue sucks, but they can catch fire at home - see tonight and the wins vs MSU & Virginia.

Fuck Purdue!, and hopefully LG+JW+CJF+RK+everyone else are on fire from deep on that early March night in Carver on Senior Night.

douglasbader

Reaction score
It's been said but he was the most disappointing guy tonight.

Mark Titus always says something like you should never be shooting above 45% from 3 because if you're above that, you're not shooting enough. CJ is 48% on the year, 40-83. He should be shooting them at least at the rate Joe is. Joe is averaging 5.3 attempts per game, CJ is at 4.1. Since coming back from the injury he's 17-37 in 7 games. 46% on 5.3 attempts per game.
I know that one of the concerns is that only 3 guys can score, but I actually think Iowa needs to lean into that even more than they currently are and embrace the fuck out of it.

There are far too many times when Wieskamp and Fredrick pass up shots trying to be good teammates or because they think they should keep moving the ball, but it ends up on a side with some combination of Connor / Toussaint / Pemsl / Kreiner / Bakari playing a 2 man game and forced to jack a shot. They need to start taking more shots. I would rather they force a few even.

The other adjustment that Iowa needs to make is teams are now doubling Garza with whoever is guarding Connor. Tonight it was Boudreaux that would sprint over from wherever he was to double when the ball was entered to the post.

When that happens, instead of having Connor just stand there and wait for the kick out, he should immediately screen the man of whoever is closest to him that is guarding Wieskamp or Fredrick.

Let them move into the vacated space and give Garza a viable option to pass out to.

Pinehawk

Regina Douche
Reaction score
Yep. Garza is double teamed every time now. Iowa needs to build plays from that scenario.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Not that this makes it much better, but I thought the Michigan State and Virginia wins for Purdue this year were huge and someone in chat was saying they were only 19 point wins. They were both 29 point wins.

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
I continue to be frustrated with Fran's lineup management.

There are three players on this team who pose a threat on the offensive end ... Garza, Wieskamp, and Fredrick. Absent foul trouble, there should never be a time when you don't have at least two of those three on the court.

I do realize that this wasn't what caused the loss last night, but it sure doesn't help in this game or any other when you see lineups with 0 - 1 offensive threats on the floor.

I also realize that this isn’t going to change so I should just shut up.

Last edited:

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Reaction score
That is a huge drop for a quad one loss. I didn’t realize margin of loss played such a big role in the various NET components.
I think it stops at 10+. So 36 is the same as 10.

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
That is a huge drop for a quad one loss. I didn’t realize margin of loss played such a big role in the various NET components.
Margin of victory is capped at 10. However, no such cap applies to the efficiency metrics.

Fletch

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
They are either on fire or just fucking awful.