***Iowa Women's Basketball 2018-19***

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score
I didn't used to like WBB, but once my daughter started playing the sport and going to college games goes with the territory. We try to catch at least one Drake or ISU game a year.
I once told my sister in law I’d rather watch a 3rd grade boys basketball game than women’s basketball at its highest level. Turns out she didn’t really like that comment.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
I didn't used to like women's basketball .I still don't .

L. Wade Childress

Is Texting Right Now
Reaction score
Hopefully this beatdown will destroy my daughters’ will to play sports so I can focus on my golf and tennis

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
I didn't used to like WBB, but once my daughter started playing the sport and going to college games goes with the territory. We try to catch at least one Drake or ISU game a year.
Didn't used to like it but now likes it so much he tries to get to at least 1 game a year

Tugboat

Berntard
Reaction score
Didn't used to like it but now likes it so much he tries to get to at least 1 game a year
“Tries”

Hasn’t actually made it to one. Had tickets once, but ended up working late.

Reaction score
“Tries”

Hasn’t actually made it to one. Had tickets once, but ended up working late.
There's six bucks down the drain.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
I once told my sister in law I’d rather watch a 3rd grade boys basketball game than women’s basketball at its highest level. Turns out she didn’t really like that comment.
As someone who recently watched a 3rd grade boys basketball game that was a highly contested 8-4 tilt that included a kid that was 3-4 inches taller than everyone else missing at least 4 layups in a row and grabbing each offensive board, finally putting it in the hoop and then dabbing on his way back down the court..... I'd rather watch about anything else.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
As someone who recently watched a 3rd grade boys basketball game that was a highly contested 8-4 tilt that included a kid that was 3-4 inches taller than everyone else missing at least 4 layups in a row and grabbing each offensive board, finally putting it in the hoop and then dabbing on his way back down the court..... I'd rather watch about anything else.
That sucks. Most of my 3rd graders games were in the 30s. Which isn't bad for 17 minute, running clock halves.

Revolver

Reaction score
That sucks. Most of my 3rd graders games were in the 30s. Which isn't bad for 17 minute, running clock halves.
Everyone in the crowd needed this after the game.

Truant

Beta Male Tag-Along-Fuck
Reaction score
Went to an elementary school age basketball game and expected to be entertained and wowed by the level of play.

Reaction score

Revolver

Reaction score
Went to an elementary school age basketball game and expected to be entertained and wowed by the level of play.

I was merely offering a rebuttal to Wanderer’s claim. I knew exactly what I was getting into. But I always appreciate hearing from you, Truant.

MikeyJoe

Has a Big Head
Reaction score
There is some bizarre Gustafson love with the Iowa beat guys right now. She’s legitimately a great player but this is getting absurd. Like she’s no doubt the #2 Iowa athlete of all time kind of stuff.

Last edited:

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
There is some bizarre Gustafson love with the Iowa beat guys right now. She’s legitimizately a great player but this is getting absurd. Like she’s no doubt the #2 Iowa athlete of all time kind of stuff.
Glad I wasn't the only one that was thinking this. She was great last year and they covered roughly 1.5 of her games. Now they're all acting like you're an idiot if you didn't tune in to watch her.

They occasionally do the same thing with Spencer Lee.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
There is some bizarre Gustafson love with the Iowa beat guys right now. She’s legitimizately a great player but this is getting absurd. Like she’s no doubt the #2 Iowa athlete of all time kind of stuff.
I don't follow him so I can't find it but somebody retweeted Jon Miller this morning saying that if there was a Hawkeye Mount Rushmore, Nile kinnick and Megan Gustafson would be on it.

MikeyJoe

Has a Big Head
Reaction score
I don't follow him so I can't find it but somebody retweeted Jon Miller this morning saying that if there was a Hawkeye Mount Rushmore, Nile kinnick and Megan Gustafson would be on it.
That’s what I’m referring to. He and Harty are going back and forth about how it’s a no doubter.

ISUFan98

Butterface
Reaction score
There is some bizarre Gustafson love with the Iowa beat guys right now. She’s legitimately a great player but this is getting absurd. Like she’s no doubt the #2 Iowa athlete of all time kind of stuff.
Not Roy Marble, the greatest player in Iowa men's basketball history, not Chuck Long, the greatest QB in Iowa history, not either of the Brands brothers, but Megan Gustafson.

Hot takes are an epidemic these days.

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score
She accomplished great things at Iowa, no doubt. But she was overmatched Monday night.

douglasbader

Was Right at the Time
Reaction score
That’s what I’m referring to. He and Harty are going back and forth about how it’s a no doubter.
I think if the criteria is you have to put 1 woman on it and don't include coaches, then she is on it.

Soda Popinski

Wears matching pajamas with no pockets
Reaction score
Megan was the best player on the court.

Overmatched. LOL

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
I wonder how her game will translate to the WNBA? Where's Legend when you need him?

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
She's the most decorated basketball player, male or female, to ever play at Iowa.

Reaction score
she went from underrated to overrated in 3 weeks.

Revolver

Reaction score
I wonder how her game will translate to the WNBA? Where's Legend when you need him?
Seems like she is going to have to develop a better jump shot.

Revolver

Reaction score
She’s pretty slick tho. I think she’s athletic and quick enough to play in the WNBA.
She was still good the other night, but it wasn't the same as it usually is. I imagine she is going to run into a lot of taller gals at the next level and will probably need to be more versatile to get it done. I have no doubts that she'll be able to develop enough to make it work.

Reaction score
She’s pretty slick tho. I think she’s athletic and quick enough to play in the WNBA.
She was still good the other night, but it wasn't the same as it usually is. I imagine she is going to run into a lot of taller gals at the next level and will probably need to be more versatile to get it done. I have no doubts that she'll be able to develop enough to make it work.
She played fine, it was the rest of the team that shit their pants. They either turned it over or chucked up a brick/airball. Megan was getting doubled every time she had the ball.

Revolver

Reaction score
She played fine, it was the rest of the team that shit their pants. They either turned it over or chucked up a brick/airball. Megan was getting doubled every time she had the ball.
Fake News. She was hardly double teamed at all. Those girls were just super tall and they kept switching off guarding her.

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Reaction score
Anyone got some WNBA mocks I can put into a spreadsheet to crunch some numbers?!

Soda Popinski

Wears matching pajamas with no pockets
Reaction score
Fake News. She was hardly double teamed at all. Those girls were just super tall and they kept switching off guarding her.
You may not have watched the game

Revolver

Reaction score
You may not have watched the game
She was not getting double teamed very much. Not even close to as much as she normally does. Their coach even commented "we aren't double teaming her" at the half.

Reaction score
I'm hoping that Tulsa will trade up for her... maybe give up this years 1st round and next years 1st Round picks. I'd love to see her playing for the Tomahawks. She'd be the perfect fit with Tommelson and Wagner.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
might as well just hang up her jersey in rafters now

Bob

Reaction score
I admittedly do not follow wrestling at all so there's probably a bunch of guys there I don't know enough to comment on, but putting her in the conversation doesn't seem that unreasonable. She's for sure the most accomplished college basketball player Iowa has had.

The Incredible Hawk

Will Spineboard You
Reaction score

MikeyJoe

Has a Big Head
Reaction score
I admittedly do not follow wrestling at all so there's probably a bunch of guys there I don't know enough to comment on, but putting her in the conversation doesn't seem that unreasonable. She's for sure the most accomplished college basketball player Iowa has had.
We’re not talking about in the conversation. I’m talking about “she’s the no questions asked #2 athlete in Iowa history” type talk.

MikeyJoe

Has a Big Head
Reaction score
Also I’m going to take a page out of my man @StinkyMcFadden’s book here and ask that we stop using phrases “most accomplished college basketball player” like men’s and women’s basketball are the same sports.

Revolver

Reaction score
Also I’m going to take a page out of my man @StinkyMcFadden’s book here and ask that we stop using phrases “most accomplished college basketball player” like men’s and women’s basketball are the same sports.
Bob wasn’t saying that she could take Ronnie Lester in a game of 1-on-1.

I can agree that they are different games, but in terms of accomplishment, she is absolutely the most decorated basketball player in the history of the university.

It’s all relative, obviously. In the same way that prime Serena Williams scores minimal points against current Roger Federer, but is the most dominant tennis player of the Open era.

MikeyJoe

Has a Big Head
Reaction score
Bob wasn’t saying that she could take Ronnie Lester in a game of 1-on-1.

I can agree that they are different games, but in terms of accomplishment, she is absolutely the most decorated basketball player in the history of the university.

It’s all relative, obviously. In the same way that prime Serena Williams scores minimal points against current Roger Federer, but is the most dominant tennis player of the Open era.
Obviously they’re both playing basketball. The implication is stupid.

Bob

Reaction score
Do you also get mad when people put Kinnick in the conversation? I would guess women's basketball now is probably at a higher level than football in the 30s when every lineman weighed like 150 pounds and passing was a borderline trick play.

Her career has been over for like two days and Iowa doesn't have many players win national player of the year in anything. Chill out and let people get excited for a bit.

MikeyJoe

Has a Big Head
Reaction score
Do you also get mad when people put Kinnick in the conversation? I would guess women's basketball now is probably at a higher level than football in the 20s when every lineman weighed like 150 pounds and passing was a borderline trick play.

Her career has been over for like two days and Iowa doesn't have many players win national player of the year in anything. Chill out and let people get excited for a bit.
Mad. Chill out. lol