***Iowa Women's Basketball 2018-19***

Soda Popinski

Wears matching pajamas with no pockets
Reaction score
Why not just be happy for her. She's been awesome.

Reaction score
Also I’m going to take a page out of my man @StinkyMcFadden’s book here and ask that we stop using phrases “most accomplished college basketball player” like men’s and women’s basketball are the same sports.
I'm not an "own the libs, anti-pc" kind of guy, but after watching about half the missed shots bounce twice before it was rebounded, I have to agree.

The Incredible Hawk

Will Spineboard You
Reaction score
Also I’m going to take a page out of my man @StinkyMcFadden’s book here and ask that we stop using phrases “most accomplished college basketball player” like men’s and women’s basketball are the same sports.
I'm not an "own the libs, anti-pc" kind of guy, but after watching about half the missed shots bounce twice before it was rebounded, I have to agree.
That’s just great boxing out.

Reaction score
She's a 1st team All-American, Big Ten Player of the Year, National Player of the Year, 1 of 4 women to ever score 1000 points in a season and tied the record for most consecutive double-doubles and some of you are actually questioning whether or not she is one of the greatest athletes ever at Iowa?

Soda Popinski

Wears matching pajamas with no pockets
Reaction score
She's a 1st team All-American, Big Ten Player of the Year, National Player of the Year, 1 of 4 women to ever score 1000 points in a season and tied the record for most consecutive double-doubles and some of you are actually questioning whether or not she is one of the greatest athletes ever at Iowa?
She's a girl, she cant be!

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
It’s science

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
I bet you win an award like that you get a free bowl of soup!

ISUFan98

Butterface
Reaction score
And yet would still get dominated by virtually any post player from a Class A or 1A school in the State Tournament this year.

Don't get me wrong. Her accomplishments are impressive and historic when compared to other women, but saying she's "one of the greatest athletes ever at Iowa." is simply incorrect. She's arguably the greatest female athlete, but not athlete generally.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
And yet would still get dominated by virtually any post player from a Class A or 1A school in the State Tournament this year.

Don't get me wrong. Her accomplishments are impressive and historic when compared to other women, but saying she's "one of the greatest athletes ever at Iowa." is simply incorrect. She's arguably the greatest female athlete, but not athlete generally.
I don't understand the need to qualify like this. If a men's basketball player received similar awards, would we need to remind each other that he'd never start on the football or wrestling team?

In the sport she plays, women's basketball, she's the best ever at Iowa. That's the best she could've done, and it's cool.

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score

This is complete misogynistic bullshit.

The Incredible Hawk

Will Spineboard You
Reaction score

uh, no.

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Reaction score
Lol. As someone who was repeatedly pnwed by Jennie Lillis and Cara Consuegra at the field house, I can attest to the fact that @ISUFan98 is a real dumbfuck.

ISUFan98

Butterface
Reaction score
Lol. As someone who was repeatedly pnwed by Jennie Lillis and Cara Consuegra at the field house, I can attest to the fact that @ISUFan98 is a real dumbfuck.
Maybe you just weren't very good?

There's a reason why these women's teams practice against men. Must be misogyny.

Reaction score
I’ve played against D1 college women when I was in decent shape. They’re solid and can shoot well if left open, but they can’t jump like men. A decently athletic guy can just jump and block/contest shots and rebound if you box them out.

douglasbader

Was Right at the Time
Reaction score
There is a middle ground where men are much more dominant, but at the same time where Meghan Gustafson would eat 1A Iowa high school players alive.

Reaction score
Owned the post season awards.

Best basketball player in Iowa history.

ivan_drago

Snowshoes Competitively
Reaction score
There's no need to qualify her accomplishments. Men are faster and can jump higher. At her sport, she is one of the best to ever play at the collegiate level. You can leave it at that.

If someone says she wouldn't get completely waxed by a talented high school male post, well, I'd disagree. But that isn't the point.

douglasbader

Was Right at the Time
Reaction score
There's no need to qualify her accomplishments. Men are faster and can jump higher. At her sport, she is one of the best to ever play at the collegiate level. You can leave it at that.

If someone says she wouldn't get completely waxed by a talented high school male post, well, I'd disagree. But that isn't the point.
Of course she would be waxed by talented high school post players. They are 6'7'' to 7'1'' tall and are superior athletically.

The argument was she would get waxed by Iowa high school 1a players. She wouldn't.

ivan_drago

Snowshoes Competitively
Reaction score

Of course she would be waxed by talented high school post players. They are 6'7'' to 7'1'' tall and are superior athletically.

The argument was she would get waxed by Iowa high school 1a players. She wouldn't.
How tall are these kids? That alone might answer the question.

douglasbader

Was Right at the Time
Reaction score

The average post player at the 1A level is maybe 6'4'' tall. They would have an inch on her at most. The tallest might be 6'7'' and is likely a beanpole.

ivan_drago

Snowshoes Competitively
Reaction score

The average post player at the 1A level is maybe 6'4'' tall. They would have an inch on her at most. The tallest might be 6'7'' and is likely a beanpole.
What if they're from Regina and on steroids?

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Reaction score
I know I have said this before when these things come up but I am 6'5" and am a slightly above mediocre basketball player who was on the Iowa's women gray team for two years during the Jennie Lillis years. There were some days she would school me but most days it was relatively even or I got the better of her at times (she was far better skilled than me when it comes to pure skills).

When we had the full gray team (9-10) guys, we would usually beat the women. The days where we only had 5-6 people and had to do a bunch of drills while they subbed out, they would beat us.

Reaction score
Retiring #10 for basketball seems reasonable enough. She is likely the best b-ball player to come thru Iowa.

Retiring for all sports though, is a tad much.

The Mt. Rushmore status....I guess she probably deserves to be in the ball park at least.

Reaction score
Retire it for chick ball, everything else is certifiably retarded.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
I’d be fine if we did some Nebrantska style change to the term “Mount Rushmore” here.

She was fantastic at what she did. She’s the greatest women’s basketball player to ever play for the program. It’s impossible to compare her to say Tim Dwight, Tom Brands, Kinnick, etc.

It’d be like if Ruth Bader Ginsburg and John McCain went up on the real Mount Rushmore with all those Presidents.

Last edited:

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
I’d fine if we did some Nebrantska style change to the term “Mount Rushmore” here.

She was fantastic at what she did. She’s the greatest women’s basketball player to ever play for the program. It’s impossible to compare her to say Tim Dwight, Tom Brands, Kinnick, etc.

It’d be like if Ruth Bader Ginsburg and John McCain went up on the real Mount Rushmore with all those Presidents.
It is hard (dumb) enough to compare players across eras, even dumber to compare them for different sports. Was Pelé better then Abdul Jabar. Nope, Jim Brown was the best.

Reaction score
Miller probably watched her play maybe 4 games ever.
He had 6 tweets about her prior to this season. Now he wants her number retired across all sports and she's unquestionably in the top 2 in Hawkeye history.

ivan_drago

Snowshoes Competitively
Reaction score
“I’m sorry, you can’t have number 10 for your tennis warmups. Megan Gustafson, you know.”