***Iowa Women's Basketball 2018-19***

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
That's fucking IT. I am canceling my WNBA Full Court subscription.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
She was fantastic at Iowa, but for someone who plays her style she seemed to be too small for the WNBA. I don't know anything about the WNBA, aside from the fact that those bigs from Baylor were gigantic and even though she still had a good game, they gave her some fits with their length. I'm sure there are plenty of women much better than those women in the WNBA. Maybe she'll catch on somewhere else in the WNBA, but if not, go overseas and make good money for a few years.

Regardless she'll always be a National Player of the Year. WNBA Draft Pick. And firmly on Jon Miller's Mount Rushmore.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
Has Iowa had any players that had much success in the WNBA?

Sundown

Homewrecker
Reaction score
There is very little I know nothing about

WNBA roster construction is one of those things
There are only 12 teams and only 12 players per roster, so I’m guessing there’s really no room to stash players for development.

My very scientific survey of the last 4 WNBA draft shows that about 40% of 2nd-round picks don’t even have Wikipedia profiles. Assuming every WNBA player has one and some non-WNBAers have one from college or Europe, it looks like a 2R pick is 50/50 to make a team (obviously).

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Reaction score
She was fantastic at Iowa, but for someone who plays her style she seemed to be too small for the WNBA. I don't know anything about the WNBA, aside from the fact that those bigs from Baylor were gigantic and even though she still had a good game, they gave her some fits with their length. I'm sure there are plenty of women much better than those women in the WNBA. Maybe she'll catch on somewhere else in the WNBA, but if not, go overseas and make good money for a few years.

Regardless she'll always be a National Player of the Year. WNBA Draft Pick. And firmly on Jon Miller's Mount Rushmore.
Assuming the bolded part is not sarcasm, I can’t believe that to be true. No fucking way there’s “good money” to be made in women’s basketball overseas, right?

SteadyEddy

HaLo Walk-on
Reaction score
Pretty sure WNBA pays shit. I can't imagine it's better overseas.

Reaction score

Assuming the bolded part is not sarcasm, I can’t believe that to be true. No fucking way there’s “good money” to be made in women’s basketball overseas, right?
WNBA salaries are an absolute joke, but there are legitimately better paying opportunities overseas. This article is dated by a few years, but as an example:
Ogwumike’s salary in Kursk is not made public, but elite WNBA players can make about 15 times more from their overseas teams than they do from their WNBA teams. Diana Taurasi, for example, makes $1.5 million from her Russian team, enough that she infamously chose to skip the 2015 season after she was asked to do so by the team, UMMC Ekaterinburg.
As to how overseas teams are able to pay so much more:
Some teams, like most of the teams in Russia, are funded by the municipal governments to serve as a source of local pride. Others, like those in Turkey, are attached to very lucrative men’s soccer clubs.
From another source:
According to salary breakdown in Forbes, NBA players enjoy about 50% of league revenue while it’s estimated that WNBA players receive less than 25% of the revenue. The average salary in the WNBA starts at around $50,000 and caps at $110,000. ... Last year’s WNBA Most Valuable Player, Sylvia Fowles, only made $109,000 for the season – and that’s on the higher end scale of pay. To put it in perspective, WNBA superstars like Fowles and Taurasi earn only 20% of an NBA superstar’s salary. Overseas, Taurasi makes 15 times as much. And WNBA players in general make at least three times more from their foreign teams than their average WNBA salary.

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

Soda Popinski

Kelly Hilpiper
Reaction score

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score

WNBA salaries are an absolute joke, but there are legitimately better paying opportunities overseas. This article is dated by a few years, but as an example:
Ogwumike’s salary in Kursk is not made public, but elite WNBA players can make about 15 times more from their overseas teams than they do from their WNBA teams. Diana Taurasi, for example, makes $1.5 million from her Russian team, enough that she infamously chose to skip the 2015 season after she was asked to do so by the team, UMMC Ekaterinburg.
As to how overseas teams are able to pay so much more:
Some teams, like most of the teams in Russia, are funded by the municipal governments to serve as a source of local pride. Others, like those in Turkey, are attached to very lucrative men’s soccer clubs.
From another source:
According to salary breakdown in Forbes, NBA players enjoy about 50% of league revenue while it’s estimated that WNBA players receive less than 25% of the revenue. The average salary in the WNBA starts at around $50,000 and caps at $110,000. ... Last year’s WNBA Most Valuable Player, Sylvia Fowles, only made $109,000 for the season – and that’s on the higher end scale of pay. To put it in perspective, WNBA superstars like Fowles and Taurasi earn only 20% of an NBA superstar’s salary. Overseas, Taurasi makes 15 times as much. And WNBA players in general make at least three times more from their foreign teams than their average WNBA salary.
Many double dip and play WNBA in summer, and overseas leagues in the winter. Bridget Carlton had already signed a contract to play in Australia before she even made her WNBA team.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Reaction score
Do they really have women's leagues in Europe? That seems really dumb. Who the fuck is watching/paying for that and why?

The WNBA wouldn't exist without the NBA funding it. I hope they get to take some sort of deduction for a charitable donation.

Lots of "She'll go to Europe and get paid..." type posts today.

What a fucking world.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Do they really have women's leagues in Europe? That seems really dumb. Who the fuck is watching/paying for that and why?

The WNBA wouldn't exist without the NBA funding it. I hope they get to take some sort of deduction for a charitable donation.

Lots of "She'll go to Europe and get paid..." type posts today.

What a fucking world.
It is better than the women's professional hockey going on strike to demand more money for something nobody gives a shit about.

Reaction score
Women’s basketball is apparently popular in Russia. A bunch of locals go to games and get wasted for something to do. I’d hate to live in Russia.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
Women’s basketball is apparently popular in Russia. A bunch of locals go to games and get wasted for something to do. I’d hate to live in Russia.
think about the effort that goes into getting them wasted

like bartending an event full of danish

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Reaction score

They make more money overseas than in the States. Diana Taurasi sat out a WNBA season because she wanted to rest for her better-paying team in Russia ($1.5M salary there, $115K in the WNBA and the rumor was the Russian team paid her an additional $200K to sit out).

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I know zero about the WNBA but if the draft is like the NBA, the fact that she got drafted in the 2nd round means that literally every team didn’t see her as a surefire pro player.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
She's a great college player but not athletic and has a shooting range of 5 feet.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Come on man, which Halo member wrote that article. There is so much hilarious absurdity in that article I don't know where to start.

The exodus of fans after the Gustafson announcement could have happened to any team, and certainly happens when a player from a college with no other current WNBA presence doesn’t make the team that drafted her. (It’s here that I’ll gently remind eastern Iowans that Linn-Mar graduate Kiah Stokes plays for the New York Liberty.)

But in Gustafson’s case, it was the Dallas Wings who faced the ire of Iowa fans, as well as fans from Gustafson’s home state of Wisconsin.

Within 24 hours of the roster cuts announcement, the Wings’ Twitter account lost more than 400 followers, many of whom were Iowa fans with no issue making themselves known. During that same time period, the tweet itself received more righteously angry replies than retweets and likes combined. Twitter even compiled a Moment that featured a mixture of analysis and expressions of shock — and, again, resigned acceptance — from reporters and fans alike.

All that said, there are legitimate reasons Gustafson didn’t make the Wings (though even the “legitimacy” of any decision by higher-ups is subjective in sports, as fans know well).

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
Sweet Jesus. That’s some forced perspective if I ever saw it

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
This:

Of course, in the WNBA it’s not as simple as that. Being one of just 36 draft picks is a huge hurdle to jump anyway, but only around half actually land an opening day roster spot.
and this:

. . . her No. 17 selection at the draft, Gustafson’s release felt like a betrayal.
were in the same article, yet the article is acting surprised she got cut when she was drafted halfway in a draft where only 50% make the cut.

Hawk_Kegmasters

Saw Spice World in Theaters
Reaction score
So the Dallas Wings lost a whole 400 of their 18,700 followers?

Sundown

Homewrecker
Reaction score
the "think of the lost fans/marketing opportunities!" reminds me of dumbasses who think European Soccer Club X is going to sign an American player because they might sell a few more jerseys.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
I'm still trying to sort out my feelings. Betrayal, disgust, anger, among many others.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
For the record Megan is a great representative of the University and I hope she has success overseas.

While it would have been nice if she had an immediate impact in the WNBA, the sole reason she is being cut is she isn't one of the 12 best players/need on the team. If she succeeds overseas, she can either: Make more money than the WNBA, or come back to the WNBA as a rostered player, or both.

The posts above in no way are a slam against her, but rather a slam against the Iowa fanbase who are making Iowa look like CycloneFanitic II.

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
For the record Megan is a great representative of the University and I hope she has success overseas.

While it would have been nice if she had an immediate impact in the WNBA, the sole reason she is being cut is she isn't one of the 12 best players/need on the team. If she succeeds overseas, she can either: Make more money than the WNBA, or come back to the WNBA as a rostered player, or both.

The posts above in no way are a slam against her, but rather a slam against the Iowa fanbase who are making Iowa look like CycloneFanitic II.
tyfys