**Official 2020 Iowa Hawkeye Football Offseason Thread**

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
20,293
Reaction score
10,135
Two thoughts that probably belong in another thread, BFYIPTHA...

1). I like the fact that the first year with a new QB also includes the deepest most experienced group of WR Iowa has had in a long time. And like even more that the year after when we lose two SR WR, Iowa has a very talented 3rd yr starter at RB and what is most likely an incredibly talented TE group.


2). Sort of disappointing that two of the highest rated DB recruits Iowa has had recently in Craddeith and DJ Johnson don’t seem to be able to crack the depth chart.
DJ Johnson has been on the 2 deeps most of the season.

When we needed Reps from a backup at CB...wasn’t Moss the guy in? Not DJ?
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,131
Reaction score
1,552
Hoping Britt beats out Banwart.

People are gonna be mad about Moss starting at CB but I also think that probably happens.
other than the PU game (and it was bad enough) I can’t remember a game where Riley wasn’t solid

I still think Iowa is missing the boat not moving him to FS
lol what? Because he’s white?

he’s small, short, and not particularly physical. In what world is that a good fit at at safety?

i would like to see him return punts.
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
Two thoughts that probably belong in another thread, BFYIPTHA...

1). I like the fact that the first year with a new QB also includes the deepest most experienced group of WR Iowa has had in a long time. And like even more that the year after when we lose two SR WR, Iowa has a very talented 3rd yr starter at RB and what is most likely an incredibly talented TE group.


2). Sort of disappointing that two of the highest rated DB recruits Iowa has had recently in Craddeith and DJ Johnson don’t seem to be able to crack the depth chart.
DJ Johnson has been on the 2 deeps most of the season.

When we needed Reps from a backup at CB...wasn’t Moss the guy in? Not DJ?
Once he got healthy yeah. He was hurt early in the year I think. DJ has looked pretty rough when he's played but Phil has gone out of his way to praise him the last two years so I'm sure he's in the discussion and it's definitely not fair to say he hasn't cracked the two deep. He started the first game. He's still really young, not everyone is going to be Des right out of the gate. There's a long list of Iowa corners who took some lumps early in their careers and became really good players by their junior or senior year.

Brents was also hurt all year so it's hard to know where he's going to fit in but he played as a freshman so they must be fairly high on him
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,837
Brents is by far the most talented CB on the roster, and that includes the guys who started this year. If he is healthy, I think Phil starts him.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,837
Bottom line is Iowa overall has the most talent in the secondary that I can remember. We haven't even mentioned guys like Terry Roberts and Jermari Harris that played this year.
 

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
20,293
Reaction score
10,135
other than the PU game (and it was bad enough) I can’t remember a game where Riley wasn’t solid

I still think Iowa is missing the boat not moving him to FS
lol what? Because he’s white?

he’s small, short, and not particularly physical. In what world is that a good fit at at safety?

i would like to see him return punts.

He’s taller than Koerner. But fine, he’s 12 lbs lighter.

And while I think he lacks the hips and ball skills to matchup against the better WR Iowa will face...I think he’s markedly more athletic than Koerner is. Moss had quite a few plays where he had great position, just didn’t get his body and head around fast enough. I think a move to FS allows him to play face up and I think he would actually excel there

As I stated a few posts ago, I’d really like to see a real ballhawk at FS. Koerner may be a smart player, but he lacks the athleticism to recover from small misreads.

In short, I think Moss could add some weight and be a more athletic version of Koerner
 
Last edited:

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,837
I know this is a longshot, but I hope the Iowa staff is at least reaching out to Quincy Roche. He is a grad transfer from Temple that is a stud and had 13 sacks and 18 tackles for loss. He could step in and start immediately and be a good replacement for Epenesa until the other guys develop.
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,131
Reaction score
1,552
Yeah koerner makes me nervous back there for sure. He was ok but seemed to get beat deep a lot.
 

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
92,226
Reaction score
-96,183
I know this is a longshot, but I hope the Iowa staff is at least reaching out to Quincy Roche. He is a grad transfer from Temple that is a stud and had 13 sacks and 18 tackles for loss. He could step in and start immediately and be a good replacement for Epenesa until the other guys develop.
13 sacks is a great year. He’s not bound for the nfl with those numbers?
 
Joined
Nov 25, 2007
Messages
9,742
Reaction score
-2,531
DJ Johnson has been on the 2 deeps most of the season.

When we needed Reps from a backup at CB...wasn’t Moss the guy in? Not DJ?
Once he got healthy yeah. He was hurt early in the year I think. DJ has looked pretty rough when he's played but Phil has gone out of his way to praise him the last two years so I'm sure he's in the discussion and it's definitely not fair to say he hasn't cracked the two deep. He started the first game. He's still really young, not everyone is going to be Des right out of the gate. There's a long list of Iowa corners who took some lumps early in their careers and became really good players by their junior or senior year.

Brents was also hurt all year so it's hard to know where he's going to fit in but he played as a freshman so they must be fairly high on him
DJ also started at CB against Iowa State and looked fine aside from the one trick play.
 

JD720

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Oct 21, 2007
Messages
7,275
Reaction score
1,516
I know this is a longshot, but I hope the Iowa staff is at least reaching out to Quincy Roche. He is a grad transfer from Temple that is a stud and had 13 sacks and 18 tackles for loss. He could step in and start immediately and be a good replacement for Epenesa until the other guys develop.
13 sacks is a great year. He’s not bound for the nfl with those numbers?
He's listed at 235 lbs. He probably needs to add weight for the NFL to look at him seriously.
 

thrawn

Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2019
Messages
26,005
Reaction score
58,760
I know this is a longshot, but I hope the Iowa staff is at least reaching out to Quincy Roche. He is a grad transfer from Temple that is a stud and had 13 sacks and 18 tackles for loss. He could step in and start immediately and be a good replacement for Epenesa until the other guys develop.
I thought I saw one of the beat guy suggest a DE grad transfer possibility so I assume the staff has at least suggested being open to it. For whatever reason the DL depth doesn’t feel great right now.
 

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
28,014
Reaction score
10,777
I know this is a longshot, but I hope the Iowa staff is at least reaching out to Quincy Roche. He is a grad transfer from Temple that is a stud and had 13 sacks and 18 tackles for loss. He could step in and start immediately and be a good replacement for Epenesa until the other guys develop.
I thought I saw one of the beat guy suggest a DE grad transfer possibility so I assume the staff has at least suggested being open to it. For whatever reason the DL depth doesn’t feel great right now.
They haven’t recruited a ton of name recruits since Epenesa. They’ve been landing more bodies with upside like Gholston was. I still think Reams or McCall will end up being solid.

Logan Lee is also going to be awesome.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,837
I know this is a longshot, but I hope the Iowa staff is at least reaching out to Quincy Roche. He is a grad transfer from Temple that is a stud and had 13 sacks and 18 tackles for loss. He could step in and start immediately and be a good replacement for Epenesa until the other guys develop.
13 sacks is a great year. He’s not bound for the nfl with those numbers?
It shows he explored it but likely going to grad transfer and try to improve his stock more.
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
When we needed Reps from a backup at CB...wasn’t Moss the guy in? Not DJ?
Once he got healthy yeah. He was hurt early in the year I think. DJ has looked pretty rough when he's played but Phil has gone out of his way to praise him the last two years so I'm sure he's in the discussion and it's definitely not fair to say he hasn't cracked the two deep. He started the first game. He's still really young, not everyone is going to be Des right out of the gate. There's a long list of Iowa corners who took some lumps early in their careers and became really good players by their junior or senior year.

Brents was also hurt all year so it's hard to know where he's going to fit in but he played as a freshman so they must be fairly high on him
DJ also started at CB against Iowa State and looked fine aside from the one trick play.
He got picked on a lot early there but he was pretty good late in the game. It was also on the heels of the Miami(OH) game where they had to junk cash at halftime because he kept fucking up against what turned out to be a pretty shitty offense. I think he'll be fine though, freshman are gonna fuck up occasionally
 

ChipHilton

Hawkeye Historian
Joined
May 24, 2008
Messages
8,447
Reaction score
-292
Once he got healthy yeah. He was hurt early in the year I think. DJ has looked pretty rough when he's played but Phil has gone out of his way to praise him the last two years so I'm sure he's in the discussion and it's definitely not fair to say he hasn't cracked the two deep. He started the first game. He's still really young, not everyone is going to be Des right out of the gate. There's a long list of Iowa corners who took some lumps early in their careers and became really good players by their junior or senior year.

Brents was also hurt all year so it's hard to know where he's going to fit in but he played as a freshman so they must be fairly high on him
DJ also started at CB against Iowa State and looked fine aside from the one trick play.
He got picked on a lot early there but he was pretty good late in the game. It was also on the heels of the Miami(OH) game where they had to junk cash at halftime because he kept fucking up against what turned out to be a pretty shitty offense. I think he'll be fine though, freshman are gonna fuck up occasionally
The somewhat insider poster herk90 suggested that DJ has been working at safety.
 

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Joined
Oct 16, 2017
Messages
29,363
Reaction score
30,288
DJ also started at CB against Iowa State and looked fine aside from the one trick play.
He got picked on a lot early there but he was pretty good late in the game. It was also on the heels of the Miami(OH) game where they had to junk cash at halftime because he kept fucking up against what turned out to be a pretty shitty offense. I think he'll be fine though, freshman are gonna fuck up occasionally
The somewhat insider poster herk90 suggested that DJ has been working at safety.
I can get behind this.
 

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
97,946
Reaction score
37,272
Rangy free I’ve long dreamed of.
 

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
38,550
Reaction score
-6,147
Is craddieth too dumb to play? He was a fairly good recruit
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
sometimes star ratings are wrong but also he's just a redshirt freshman! Iowa fans are so impatient with the rare highly rated recruits we get.
 

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Joined
Jan 11, 2012
Messages
20,111
Reaction score
7,480
We need to find somebody better than Koerner. He appears to have a very low ceiling in skillset and athletic ability. Hopefully he isn't locked into that position
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,837
I think you can get used to 2 more years of Lil' Jack Koerner. He is the modern Brett Greenwood. He likely will get better and make some plays as he goes on, but Phil seems to love him.
 

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
45,866
Reaction score
3,104
I look forward to two more years of bitching about it too until he graduates, has had a good career, and you repeat how Parker really must know what he’s doing.
 

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Joined
Aug 5, 2010
Messages
46,026
Reaction score
43,246
You’re like an Iowa version of Bovert
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,837
Who are the likely departures going to be? I think there will be quite a few potentially.

RB - Toren Young most likely, maybe Byrd as well
QB - Peyton Mansell
WR - Henry Marchese, maybe Calvin Lockett
TE - none
OL - nobody significant
DL - nobody significant
LB - there are a lot of guys here and spring will likely tell a lot. Maybe a guy like Jeudy if he doesn't look like he has any hope of playing, but 4-2-5 isn't going away
DB - same thing here, would expect a couple guys to transfer
K - the kickoff guy is transfering
P - if they get a grad transfer, maybe Gersonde leaves
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
Byrd just because of where he's from or what? They seemed fairly high on him and he's still young. Sargent has to at least be thinking about it. He lost his starting job to a younger player and could probably start at plenty of G5 schools.

Mansell for sure and agreed that they have way too many guys at DB and LB not to lose at least a few.

Marchese is a legacy isn't he? I wouldn't be surprised if he just stuck it out even if he won't play. Cooper or Lockett wouldn't surprise me though.
 

HerkyHopeful

Member
Joined
May 27, 2014
Messages
14,074
Reaction score
6,946
Barrington Wade has got to be gone. He'll be a senior, coaches like him and seems to have progressed well but is in a position where he's still behind Colbert and Niemann
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,837
Byrd just because of where he's from or what? They seemed fairly high on him and he's still young. Sargent has to at least be thinking about it. He lost his starting job to a younger player and could probably start at plenty of G5 schools.

Mansell for sure and agreed that they have way too many guys at DB and LB not to lose at least a few.

Marchese is a legacy isn't he? I wouldn't be surprised if he just stuck it out even if he won't play. Cooper or Lockett wouldn't surprise me though.
Yeah, was basing it on where he lives and depends on who comes back. Young/Sargent could both leave but was thinking one comes back. IKM comes back with 2 full years of eligibility. Goodson seems to have the next 3 years locked as the starter unless he gets hurt.

Don't tease me on Max Pooper.
 

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Joined
Jan 11, 2012
Messages
20,111
Reaction score
7,480
I'm wondering if we'll see some more Oliver Martin next year. He seems to have been forgotten or was injured at some point?
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,837
The WR depth, for Iowa, is just nuts. Smith, ISM, Tracy, Rigani, Martin, Pooper, Lockett, Huston, Jones, Vines and Matthews.
 

thrawn

Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2019
Messages
26,005
Reaction score
58,760
Hate to go with the “move the biggest/slowest RB to fullback” route but with Ross gone and no obvious replacement I wonder if there is any chance Young could play that role.

Ross kind of sucked anyway and with the WR talent it makes sense to play 3 more as it is.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,837
I'm wondering if we'll see some more Oliver Martin next year. He seems to have been forgotten or was injured at some point?
There has never really been a solid answer, but it seems like he was of course coming into camp behind and then was banged up for most of the year.

He is really talented so hope with a full spring/summer/fall camp that he can play. Ragani was great to start the year but he dropped an awful lot of passes later on, so think there will be some opportunities. Would rather have him returning punts than Cooper.
 

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
45,866
Reaction score
3,104
Hate to go with the “move the biggest/slowest RB to fullback” route but with Ross gone and no obvious replacement I wonder if there is any chance Young could play that role.
No
 
Joined
Nov 25, 2007
Messages
9,742
Reaction score
-2,531
Byrd just because of where he's from or what? They seemed fairly high on him and he's still young. Sargent has to at least be thinking about it. He lost his starting job to a younger player and could probably start at plenty of G5 schools.

Mansell for sure and agreed that they have way too many guys at DB and LB not to lose at least a few.

Marchese is a legacy isn't he? I wouldn't be surprised if he just stuck it out even if he won't play. Cooper or Lockett wouldn't surprise me though.
Yeah, was basing it on where he lives and depends on who comes back. Young/Sargent could both leave but was thinking one comes back. IKM comes back with 2 full years of eligibility. Goodson seems to have the next 3 years locked as the starter unless he gets hurt.

Don't tease me on Max Pooper.
I think they have shown that they aren't tied to experience over talent at RB. I wouldn't be surprised if the depth chart next year was Goodson, Young/Byrd with Sargent grad transferring and IKM doing who knows what. I think that would be a decent group and Toren seems like a guy who sticks around for 5 carries a game.

I'm wondering if we'll see some more Oliver Martin next year. He seems to have been forgotten or was injured at some point?
I don't know if he was injured during the season, but he missed the bowl due to injury.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,837
Hate to go with the “move the biggest/slowest RB to fullback” route but with Ross gone and no obvious replacement I wonder if there is any chance Young could play that role.
Every single FB on the roster is pretty much 6' and 240lbs or so. Young is 5'11'' and 223 pounds, so he would be the ideal candidate. Not sure if he wants to have that thankless role of smashing into guys over in over with few touches, but he would be an upgrade overall. Sargent is likely too small at 5'9'' 212 pounds.
 

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
14,968
Reaction score
3,370
Hate to go with the “move the biggest/slowest RB to fullback” route but with Ross gone and no obvious replacement I wonder if there is any chance Young could play that role.
Every single FB on the roster is pretty much 6' and 240lbs or so. Young is 5'11'' and 223 pounds, so he would be the ideal candidate. Not sure if he wants to have that thankless role of smashing into guys over in over with few touches, but he would be an upgrade overall. Sargent is likely too small at 5'9'' 212 pounds.
Sargent at FB would bring the lolz.
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
Given how they use fullbacks anymore it seems like kind of a waste. Is he going to be a better blocker than whatever slow walk on LB they move there? Because that's the only thing that really matters for a fullback.

They're going to have good tight end depth going forward, I wouldn't be too surprised if FB is steadily phased out and they just use on of the TEs in more or an HBack role when they want a lead blocker
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,837
Nobody is leaving.
There are currently 92 scholarship players for next fall. At least 7 people are leaving.
At least 7 people are leaving.
Bob Sanders points out there are currently 92/85. This includes Epenesa/Wrifs/Stone who seem likely to leave. It also includes 2 freshman who haven't signed, one that broke his neck diving into a pool and may never recover and another with grades.
 

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
20,293
Reaction score
10,135
I look forward to two more years of bitching about it too until he graduates, has had a good career, and you repeat how Parker really must know what he’s doing.
Saying Koerner didn’t have a great year isn’t denying the possibility he could be a good player down the road. But he’s going to have to get much better in his recognition.

The Greenwood comp by Doug May be a good one. But Greenwood WAS a ballhawk by the time he was a senior.
 

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
45,866
Reaction score
3,104
I think we all saw the room for improvement. Im talking more abt the fact that he’ll be playing ahead of someone “more athletic” that will cause angst in some of our notable posters.
 
Top