**Official 2020 Iowa Hawkeye Football Offseason Thread**

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
He didn't transfer to sit, Fritz Fequeer. Of course he received assurances. I guarantee there were conversations, and while KF isn't the type to promise or guarantee a starting spot, Cronk was absolutely told there's a spot on the line available for him.
This is all so stupid but you’re apparently a school counselor who uses homophobic slurs so obviously you’ve got some thinking/psychological issues.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Wait you’re making fun of other posters when you actually believe he received some assurances and that he won’t have to compete for a job? It’s one thing to believe that, quite another to make fun of people for not believing such absurdities.

I realize halo is a safe space for guys who find groupthink protective, but get a hold of yourself dude!
Lol.

The competing he will have to do is look better than 3 guys that are either young, injured or haven't played much. I think he will be the better option if healthy.

Fritz Fequiere

Reaction score
I do believe he’ll start and that next year’s line will
be better than this year’s.

Monster

Fapped to The Karate Kid Wearing a Mask
Reaction score
Also consider the optics here. A 3 year starter from Indiana comes to Iowa and sits on the bench? There would have to be something really wrong with him to sit. It would be difficult to attract future transfers if Iowa is just bringing guys like this in for depth.

Monster

Reaction score
This is all so stupid but you’re apparently a school counselor who uses homophobic slurs so obviously you’ve got some thinking/psychological issues.
Hopefully your kid isn't on my roster. Right Fritz?

douglasbader

Reaction score
They must feel ok with what they have on the defensive line if this is the route they decided to go in the grad transfer market.
There's a scholarship limit
They are already down to 86 total, and that includes 2 in the freshman class unsigned that most likely won't end up on the team.

At least 4 other players are going to leave after Spring practice. They will have plenty of room to bring in whatever they need to bring in.

thrawn

Reaction score
I don’t think they promised/guaranteed him anything (which would be pointless since he has no leverage once he enrolls), but I assume he was told that a job is his to lose if he’s healthy which based on his resume would be true regardless.

I also think they would probably be disappointed if he isn’t good enough to start unless the returning guys make huge leaps.

Fritz Fequiere

Reaction score
I also think they would probably be disappointed if he isn’t good enough to start unless the returning guys make huge leaps.
[/QUOTE]
But it doesn’t matter if he isn’t good enough because optics and he didn’t come here to sit on the bench. Go post this shit at HR where there’s a bunch of idiots like you!

douglasbader

Reaction score
I don’t think they promised/guaranteed him anything (which would be pointless since he has no leverage once he enrolls), but I assume he was told that a job is his to lose if he’s healthy which based on his resume would be true regardless.

Exactly. The guy is a 40 game starter at LT in the Big Ten East on a team that wasn't horrible. He is a grad transfer that had likely at least 20 schools he could have chosen from.

From everything it looks like Iowa reached out to him and convinced him to transfer when he entered the portal.

Fritz Fequiere

Reaction score
Don’t even start with me about formatting motherfuckers I got a new phone.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Let's end this semantics bullshit @Fritz Fequiere , what do you think they told him?

Of course he has to compete, but these things happen in 3 basic ways....

- Program outright guarantees a starting spot no matter what
- Program lets a player know they strongly want them and they can see them starting and it is basically their job to lose
- Program shrugs their shoulders and says "I guess you can enroll but you'll be on the same level as everyone else and have to totally earn your spot. Can't say anything more beyond that!"

The second one is the right answer, Fritz. This isn't hard.

Bob

Reaction score
I'm sure they told him there's a good opportunity to earn the job but I wouldn't be that surprised if Kallenberger ultimately wins it. Kallenberger was a good prospect who played quite a bit this year as a sophomore. Cronk has started a ton of games but it's not like Indiana had amazing olines over that period and he's coming off a really bad injury.

Reaction score
Right, because everyone on Halo acts exactly the same on an anonymous message board as they do in real life.... at their job. 90% of the posters here would be fucking unemployed.

Be better Fritzy.

Fritz Fequiere

Reaction score
No. Because I'm a terrible school counselor.
I can't say about your overall competency, but you seem to lack the requisite compassion for a subset of high-risk kids. Or maybe you have the compassion but are so out of touch you don't realize hateful language is often cited by gay kids who've had a school experience that contributes to their ultimate suicide.

Fritz Fequiere

Reaction score
Let's end this semantics bullshit @Fritz Fequiere , what do you think they told him?

Of course he has to compete, but these things happen in 3 basic ways....

- Program outright guarantees a starting spot no matter what
- Program lets a player know they strongly want them and they can see them starting and it is basically their job to lose
- Program shrugs their shoulders and says "I guess you can enroll but you'll be on the same level as everyone else and have to totally earn your spot. Can't say anything more beyond that!"

The second one is the right answer, Fritz. This isn't hard.
I think it went down basically how trawn described in his post. A post monster liked despite it contradicting his original post. But this is halo so that doesn't matter.

Fritz Fequiere

Reaction score
Right, because everyone on Halo acts exactly the same on an anonymous message board as they do in real life.... at their job. 90% of the posters here would be fucking unemployed.

Be better Fritzy.
Ask yourself, Franklin, why can you use a hateful word on halo that you'd never use in real-life social setting (unless you're of the unfortunate segment that stayed in rural Iowa your whole life)? Because halo is a safe-space for some seriously socially fucked-up people, that's why. It's like a part of the darknet.

Monster

Reaction score
I can't say about your overall competency, but you seem to lack the requisite compassion for a subset of high-risk kids. Or maybe you have the compassion but are so out of touch you don't realize hateful language is often cited by gay kids who've had a school experience that contributes to their ultimate suicide.
Your level of insight is astounding.

I'm going to spend some time thinking about what you said. It's clear that I have some internal deficiencies that likely manifest in how I deal with people in the real world.

Reaction score
He retired like 3 years ago, you dumbfuck.

This is a message board.

Reaction score
Ask yourself, Franklin, why can you use a hateful word on halo that you'd never use in real-life social setting (unless you're of the unfortunate segment that stayed in rural Iowa your whole life)? Because halo is a safe-space for some seriously socially fucked-up people, that's why. It's like a part of the darknet.
That's deep.

Monster

Reaction score
I've never lived in rural Iowa.

Now I don't know what to think.

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
I hate to bring up the other site again, but there are a significant number of dipshits over there who continue to state that Cronk will add depth but might not start. They point to his PFF grades for the few games he played last year as one of the reasons why. Then someone posted a picture and a few posters decided he has shitty technique based on that. A still fucking picture. Some of the same guys were taking a shit on him based on a couple videos they saw. Bad hand placement, too upright, leads with his head, etc. Lol. I've tried to help them. I pointed out that unless his ankle doesn't heal properly he's going to start, and that he wouldn't have signed with a school just to sit on the bench. That he likely received some assurances. Nope. He's going to have to compete for a job like everyone else.
Monster goes from properly pointing out dipshittery to himself being a dipshit all in one post. Of course he's going to have to compete for a spot like everyone else (which he will likely win). Just like he has no assurances that if Gholston & Evans are working him off the edge in practice, (due to bad technique or not so great lateral quickness) he won't get stuck playing guard (which is why he's leaving IU).

That's actually the only assurances that he's been given monster...a. that we had a starting tackle leave & b. that he'll be given every opportunity to win the open spot.

Monster

Reaction score
Monster goes from properly pointing out dipshittery to himself being a dipshit all in one post. Of course he's going to have to compete for a spot like everyone else (which he will likely win). Just like he has no assurances that if Gholston & Evans are working him off the edge in practice, (due to bad technique or not so great lateral quickness) he won't get stuck playing guard (which is why he's leaving IU).

That's actually the only assurances that he's been given monster...a. that we had a starting tackle leave & b. that he'll be given every opportunity to win the open spot.
You no read good. I said what you said. Or, you said what I said. Being given "every opportunity to win the open spot" is a distinction without a difference from what I said, which was he was given assurances that as long as he doesn't have an injury setback or some other unforeseen issue (an arrest, poor grades, etc), he's going to be in the starting lineup. "Every opportunity to start" is just silly coachspeak that means the kid is a starter unless he fucks it up somehow.

sergeanthulka

Reaction score
No, we're still disagreeing.

'Every opportunity to start' isn't coachspeak with KF. It's actually a pillar upon which the program is built. If he's not the best right tackle over the next 7 months & - in particular in camp - he's not going to start at RT. This goes beyond arrest, poor grades, or a nagging injury.

Oliver Martin didn't come to Iowa thinking he'd ride the pine all year either.

Last edited:

Monster

Reaction score

'Every opportunity to start' isn't coachspeak with KF. It's actually a pillar upon which the program is built. If he's not the best right tackle over the next 7 months & - in particular in camp - he's not going to start at RT. This goes beyond arrest, poor grades, or a nagging injury.
And the only way that's going to happen is if his ankle hasn't healed properly, he gets arrested, bad grades, etc. Because as I've stated multiple times, this kid isn't coming to Iowa unless he's received some assurances he's going to start. He could go to nearly any school and start. Assurances isn't the same as a promise. KF brought Cronk in to start, and if he wasn't sure he would start, he would have told him that, and the kid would go somewhere else.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score

I think Kirk also gave him an honest assessment of his ability as compared to others. It is also possible playing guard at Iowa gives a kid a better chance at the pros.

Monster

Reaction score
I think Kirk also gave him an honest assessment of his ability as compared to others. It is also possible playing guard at Iowa gives a kid a better chance at the pros.
Right. And the honest assessment he gave to this kid (with 40 starts at left tackle at a power 5 school, Outland award watch list) is, based on what we've seen, we see you as one of our starting 5.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Right. And the honest assessment he gave to this kid (with 40 starts at left tackle at a power 5 school, Outland award watch list) is, based on what we've seen, we see you as one of our starting 5.
I tried to edit that mean reply out. Clearly not directed to serge.

sergeanthulka

Reaction score
Close enough. I, too, think he's the starter at RT this fall.

I will be interested to see if he ends up at guard, despite his wishes to play tackle. Everything about him kind of lends itself better to guard...but we don't have a bunch of viable candidates there.

Monster

Reaction score
Close enough. I, too, think he's the starter at RT this fall.

I will be interested to see if he ends up at guard, despite his wishes to play tackle. Everything about him kind of lends itself better to guard...but we don't have a bunch of viable candidates there.
He could be a guard too. Which I'm sure was also part of the discussion. But I'd bet he ends up at RT with Kallenberger at guard.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Lol at all the people that are suddenly experts on the specific OL technique of this player from Indiana that not a single person could pick out of a lineup a week ago.

They totally know if he should be a guard, leans too much, etc....

Reaction score
You no read good. I said what you said. Or, you said what I said. Being given "every opportunity to win the open spot" is a distinction without a difference from what I said, which was he was given assurances that as long as he doesn't have an injury setback or some other unforeseen issue (an arrest, poor grades, etc), he's going to be in the starting lineup. "Every opportunity to start" is just silly coachspeak that means the kid is a starter unless he fucks it up somehow.
It wouldn't be hard to believe that came with the coaches telling him "we believe you have the talent". So no, of course it isn't guaranteed, but I'm sure there was minimally a message that led him to believe it was his to lose.

Monster

Reaction score
It wouldn't be hard to believe that came with the coaches telling him "we believe you have the talent". So no, of course it isn't guaranteed, but I'm sure there was minimally a message that led him to believe it was his to lose.
As opposed to KF saying, "Well, we appreciate your interest, but we have 5 guys that are pretty solid. You can come in and try to break into the lineup. We would certainly welcome you to give it a shot and provide depth and leadership."