**Official 2022 Iowa Football Season Thread**

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
They sucked because they weren’t very good offensively. I’m not making the argument they were overly conservative because they weren’t but I think they did a decent job of letting the defense and special teams win games. This isn’t a difficult concept to grasp
What does that mean? The offense didn't actively run on the field and block the defense? Stop acting like the staff made some trade-off to allow the defense to win games.

Reaction score
There's almost this idea with some contrarian know-it-all footbally types that Iowa's offense is like Virginia basketball, and people are simply complaining about style.

Iowa's offense isn't slow but efficient, it's bad my any metric. They don't score, they don't move the ball, they don't control the clock. It's The Criminal like.
No, quite simply the talent wasn’t there or we were too inexperienced offensively. It was hardly efficient last year.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
They didn’t fail to convert third downs in order to let the defense win the game. Converting third downs would put less pressure on the defense to win the game. It’s not difficult to grasp, it’s objectively stupid.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
What does that mean? The offense didn't actively run on the field and block the defense? Stop acting like the staff made some trade-off to allow the defense to win games.
I understand that there’s more interplay between offense and defense with field position in football, so this analogy is off before I even start, but if your starting pitcher gives up 6 runs and then you hit a grand slam in the bottom of the ninth to win 7 to 6, smug baseball guy doesn’t say “well, you know, they put the offense in a position to win the game”.

Reaction score
You’re being obtuse. We weren't experienced or good enough at key positions to move the ball consistently but as our record indicates, we scored enough to win 10 games. I think they chose their battles well enough but it caught up to us at the end if the year. The same play action fake that put us ahead vs PSU, we failed to execute vs Kentucky. We couldn’t score TDs in the red zone all year and that’s where it’s more difficult to execute. We had a great play drawn up vs Michigan, the RB overthrew the intended receiver. We were just flat out not very good on that side of the ball. I don’t think any change in scheme or personnel would have made a difference.

Reaction score
95% of the “negativity” on this board is simply correcting the objectively stupid shit being said by the sunshine pumpers

There’s not much sunshine to pump but many of you are the type of guy people want to punch in the face cuz you won’t stfu or stop crying during the game.

Monster

Fapped to The Karate Kid Wearing a Mask
Reaction score
95% of the “negativity” on this board is simply correcting the objectively stupid shit being said by the sunshine pumpers
Eh, it goes beyond that. Don't hurt your arm patting yourself on the back.

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Reaction score
The fuck is going on here?
1659741415663.png

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
Holy shit is that Petras in a tackling drill?

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
They didn’t fail to convert third downs in order to let the defense win the game. Converting third downs would put less pressure on the defense to win the game. It’s not difficult to grasp, it’s objectively stupid.
Rec is retarded but I lost count of how many times Brian ran the ball on 3rd down because he didn't trust his QB to throw it nine yards down the field.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
When is the last time Kinnick sold out the season and it wasn’t ultimately disappointing?
I don’t get the sense a lot of people have high expectations this year. I’m guessing most people think they have the potential to be good but the QB situation has them a little skeptical.

Reaction score
No one is saying that genius. You’re just assuming things. They failed to convert because they weren’t good enough to execute consistently but I think the staff did a decent job of picking their battles and playing with what they had.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Which is the chicken, and which is the egg?
me gay.

me faggot.

me like buttfuck.

me wear bra and panty.

me no like pussy. me like schlong.

me sucky-sucky.

me a chicken. me no pee pee.

you boyz a chicken? you pee pee?

you like buttfuck?

you wear bra and panty?

you sucky sucky?

me buttfuck you.

me gay.

me faggot.

xoxoxoxxxoxoxox -- Mark Watson, USW

Reaction score
What was their record again?
What could their record have been with an offense that wasn't a certifiable dumpster fire? The "what was their record" crowd is the same one that must enjoy watching Wisconsin win the B10 West most of the time.

My favorite thing about the "it's a style of play decision!" argument defending the total offensive output is that it ignores something as simple as yards per play, which removes the "style of play" factor and just judges the offense based on what it generates on a play by play basis vs every other offense. Here's Iowa's offensive YPP ranking the last 10 seasons (out of 130ish schools):

2021: 121st
2020: 78th
2019: 84th
2018: 86th
2017: 103rd
2016: 98th
2015: 53rd
2014: 65th
2013: 84th
2012: 118th

I'm fine with Iowa's STYLE of play. The most annoying thing about Iowa's style of play is that it requires a fucking offense that can move the chains to wear down the other teams defense and not your own. Running the ball and playing defense can work great if you can actually do those things, here's Wisconsin's offensive YPP rankings nationally the last 10 seasons:

2021: 71st
2020: 102nd
2019: 18th
2018: 14th
2017: 31st
2016: 77th
2015: 87th
2014: 7th
2013: 39th
2012: 39th

They were top 40 nationally in YPP 6 out of the last 10 season, and that's with pretty average to below average QB play.

In the last 10 seasons, Iowa has only generated more YPP than Wisconsin in two seasons - 2020 and 2015. Oddly enough, those are the only 2 games Iowa has beat Wisconsin in over the last 10 seasons (that's only 9 meetings though because Iowa didn't play Wisconsin in 11/12). Do you think that's just a coincidence?

Iowa is choosing to play a style of football where they won't put up huge offensive numbers, and that's fine. But that style of offense still requires the offense to be EFFICIENT on a per play basis, and they're not, because their offensive scheme is massively broken and they have no idea how to use their talent even when they have it. George Kittle averaged about 2 receptions per game his Junior and Senior seasons - inexcusably poor utilization of one of the best players at that position in the country. In 2019 Iowa had two future first round NFL draft picks on their offensive line (and experience sprinkled in around them) - they ranked 98th nationally in rushing yardage per game and were south of 4 yards per rush.

So don't tell me "they were just young last year". No, this is a 10+ year long problem, and they've had plenty of talent over those 10+ years that they failed to get offensive production out of.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
in fairness, there seemed to be an approximately equal chance of the offense and defense scoring a touchdown at any given point last year.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
Only 4 more weeks until hawkeye football. I’m jacked to the tits

Lee Beevers

They/Them
Reaction score
I rainbow all of @Shawneemicks posts because it’s deserved, but he does have a point in how awful the offense was last year. The offensive line had a generational talent at center and was still very shitty. I hope a lot of guys got better. Good thing we have an experienced signal caller to right the ship. 15-0