**Official #22 USC vs. #16 Iowa Holiday Bowl Thread - 12/27/19 - 7pm - FS1**

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
It was pretty obvious live. We were discussing it during the game in light of the PSU game last year.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
One hour replay coming up on BTN at 10:30

Reaction score
I watched the game for the first time on TV tonight. First, were people going absolutely nuts that Stanley's sneak was not reversed?!? It was an obvious touchdown. He's lying on top of people and his arm/the ball are in the endzone. Wtf.

My observations are that was even more of an offensive clinic than I remembered. The comparison is that most of Iowa's TDs play/big plays looked almost effortless, which is a sign of out scheming. Where SC (particularly with Slovis) was getting theirs through great efforts/catches. Usually an Iowa guy is inches from making the play but throw was on, receivers were great.

My hope for next year is that basically we show early that Petars can throw a mean deep ball (even if it doesn't hit) because ISM has the film to take the top of defenses (and B. SMith too with size for outside shoulder throws). Hopefully this opens up the run game a bit more.

Also it is striking how fast ISM is. I assume he'll make the combine and I think he may actually post a sub 4.4. One of the fastest guys I've ever seen at Iowa. Fucking dusted the USC DB (who presumably was a 4/58) on that 35 yard catch.

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
I watched the game for the first time on TV tonight. First, were people going absolutely nuts that Stanley's sneak was not reversed?!? It was an obvious touchdown. He's lying on top of people and his arm/the ball are in the endzone. Wtf.
Oh, I was bitching at home. It was pretty obvious to me. But, I wasn't overly pissed because I knew the game was in hand and Iowa was going to shove it up their ass for a TD anyways on the next play.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
Oh, I was bitching at home. It was pretty obvious to me. But, I wasn't overly pissed because I knew the game was in hand and Iowa was going to shove it up their ass for a TD anyways on the next play.
Not running the sneak again was the right call but I'll be dammed if I wasn't hoping they would.

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
Not running the sneak again was the right call but I'll be dammed if I wasn't hoping they would.
Ankles so thick, son

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
Watched a little of it at lunch. It's strange watching iowa's long, methodical drives in that format.

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Reaction score
Hotel in Atlanta (hey everybody?) is playing the game right now on the main tv in the bar. 5 star accommodations

Last edited:

Mitchandrsn

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Pooper talking about his muff in this game (and the one against Wisconsin) with Ihmir Smith-Marsette is actually pretty funny. Particularly the Wisky one.

Harlan

Drinks liquor with a straw
Reaction score
I mean I’d rather just go all out than sit there for 15 minutes savouring it. I’m a busy man.

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Reaction score
Pooper tells a great story!!

if you want to be put to sleep lolol

Reactions: BBK

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
God, when Brian was running those QB sneaks over and over and over again whilst we were skull fucking the Trojans in prime time it was so satisfying. How did we get here?

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
God, when Brian was running those QB sneaks over and over and over again whilst we were skull fucking the Trojans in prime time it was so satisfying. How did we get here?
How did we get here? Covid happened, then a weird shortened season happened and Brian went from Fat Nate to Spencer Penus.

Instead of throwing Penus out the door immediately and finding another QB for the 2021 season, they stuck with him. When he was much much worse than the prior year, they didn't do anything about it because they won 10 games and the Big Ten West. Brian spent the offseasons trying to fit a square peg into a round hole and completely fucked up everything to accommodate Spencer.

Because they are stupid and stubborn and won 10 games, they played Spencer again. He was again much worse and by the time they abandoned him, it was too late and Brian had completely gone off the deep end.

Cade comes in, gets immediately hurt and the only backup option they like is a fat fucking pig of a shitty QB. He, somehow, is much worse than Spencer Penus and Brian gets even worse. Then he gets "fired" and then wins 10 games and then doesn't score a point for 2+ games to end the year.

Kirk then has some issues and slow plays the OC hire, it blows up in his face and is still trying to figure out who to hire.

That is how we got here.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
It seems firing Doyle was a big reason, as well.
Maybe, but I still don't buy that. The defense is better than ever and just as strong.

His OL thing might be a factor, but I want to see what happens when they have a real OC calling plays.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Maybe, but I still don't buy that. The defense is better than ever and just as strong.

His OL thing might be a factor, but I want to see what happens when they have a real OC calling plays.
I hope that happens.

thrawn

Reaction score
Lol that they looked at the perhaps the worst QB play in the country and decided the problem was that the QB coach and OC were different people and put a former OL with zero QB coaching experience as QB coach.

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
It was their refusal to change QB's- Spencer and Bacon severely hamstrung what they could do passing.

Shitty OL and receivers lately have not helped the gross QB situation.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I still think they fucked up after 2020 in not utilizing the extra COVID year for Brandon Smith, ISM, Sargent, and Alaric Jackson. Even Shaun Beyer would have been a good addition to the 2021 team.

They had unlimited scholarships for the 2021 season but they treated it like it was a dumb option for players that could make an NFL roster.

All of that would have allowed Richman to play right tackle. Keegan Johnson to sit and adjust to college which probably would have helped his anxiety. Charlie Jones would have been expected to be the go to guy in 2022 and may not have left which would have meant Johnson and maybe Tracy round out your top 3 at the position with Nico as the 4th option.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
Like most years, we probably have a few former QBs playing WR, RB, DB (like DeJean this previous year) which would have been far better choices than what we've had at QB the last few years.

If we cant throw, at least have a guy back there who can run too

Renegade_ofFunk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The thought of Kirk tripling down on Peaches which ultimately leads to his getting his fat arrogant son shitcanned triggers my dark humor chuckle.

Who knows what actually went down but it wouldn’t at all surprise me.

Renegade_ofFunk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score

There’s also a decent amount of guys washing out and/or having career ending injuries. Some of whom were pretty good recruits. Davidkov immediately comes to mind.

Harlan

Drinks liquor with a straw
Reaction score
How did we get here? Covid happened, then a weird shortened season happened and Brian went from Fat Nate to Spencer Penus.

Instead of throwing Penus out the door immediately and finding another QB for the 2021 season, they stuck with him. When he was much much worse than the prior year, they didn't do anything about it because they won 10 games and the Big Ten West. Brian spent the offseasons trying to fit a square peg into a round hole and completely fucked up everything to accommodate Spencer.

Because they are stupid and stubborn and won 10 games, they played Spencer again. He was again much worse and by the time they abandoned him, it was too late and Brian had completely gone off the deep end.

Cade comes in, gets immediately hurt and the only backup option they like is a fat fucking pig of a shitty QB. He, somehow, is much worse than Spencer Penus and Brian gets even worse. Then he gets "fired" and then wins 10 games and then doesn't score a point for 2+ games to end the year.

Kirk then has some issues and slow plays the OC hire, it blows up in his face and is still trying to figure out who to hire.

That is how we got here.