*Omnibus 2020-2021 College Basketball Thread*

The Tin Man

Reaction score
We could always tax scholarships, room and board, and swag as well. Let’s see if they like that. Or is it just a one way street to them, and they should garner ever greater benefits with no costs? If they want revenue from licensing, maybe it should offset travel costs.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
According to Pollard that would be $125,000 worth of value to tax or whatever figure he valued a scholarship. Would shut a few people up quickly.

newsbreaker

Got the top grade in his torts class
Reaction score
I agree that the next phase of this will be a mess, and maybe a disaster, but I don't think you can avoid it.

When a radio station signs up to carry Iowa games, they get a list of "exclusive" sponsors. If Iowa (Learfield) have a deal with Coke, you can't run an ad for Pepsi during a game. You can run anything you want in your local breaks, but not competitors in defined markets.

This is going to be the same way. If Iowa has a deal with Joe's Chevy, you can't do a NIL deal with Steve's Ford. Once they see relatively small dollars, and almost all of them will see exactly zero available dollars, they're going to want a piece of the University's pie, and they're going to argue the school is competing against them.

But I don't know what you do about that. It will be what it will be.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
We could always tax scholarships, room and board, and swag as well. Let’s see if they like that. Or is it just a one way street to them, and they should garner ever greater benefits with no costs? If they want revenue from licensing, maybe it should offset travel costs.
People say this, but I struggle to think of how any of this would be taxed. If scholarships are taxed, it's scholarships that are used to pay education expenses, which would then be deductible. You could also argue that room and board provisions are for the convenience of the employer, which would likely make them non-taxable. Swag - again, not likely. Work uniforms aren't taxed. It'd be easy to argue this stuff is all "employer" expense, not employee compensation.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
People say this, but I struggle to think of how any of this would be taxed. If scholarships are taxed, it's scholarships that are used to pay education expenses, which would then be deductible. You could also argue that room and board provisions are for the convenience of the employer, which would likely make them non-taxable. Swag - again, not likely. Work uniforms aren't taxed. It'd be easy to argue this stuff is all "employer" expense, not employee compensation.
You would also fall into the Price is Right problem of not being able to pay taxes on the "winnings" (in this case the scholarship) because there are no liquid dollars to pay the taxes with.

The Tin Man

Reaction score
Monetizing highlights via NFTs or other media channels also seems rife with controversy that hasn’t been legally settled. Who owns a highlight clip from a college, or even a pro game for that matter? The player in said highlight? The university or pro team on the jersey? The media company filming the game? The league that is selling the rights to the filming of the games? What about an independent or media photographer, videographer, or paparazzo? The players seem to think they own it, but it would seem to be a little more murky.

newsbreaker

Got the top grade in his torts class
Reaction score
That's pretty settled. The home school owns, which they grant to the conference, which retains and sells the rights.

They don't give the "unauthorized use" disclaimer during every broadcast to fill time.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Monetizing highlights via NFTs or other media channels also seems rife with controversy that hasn’t been legally settled. Who owns a highlight clip from a college, or even a pro game for that matter? The player in said highlight? The university or pro team on the jersey? The media company filming the game? The league that is selling the rights to the filming of the games? What about an independent or media photographer, videographer, or paparazzo? The players seem to think they own it, but it would seem to be a little more murky.
Not sure what you mean. That's actually already really clear. It's the league that owns the media right that led to the highlight being created in the first place. NBA players, who own their own name and likeness rights, can't sell clips of themselves that aired on TNT.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
All of this is so fucking stupid.

Roughly 15% of players are worth anything beyond the full scholarship costs. The other 85% are absolutely stealing money and getting a hell of a deal.
And let’s be honest, way more than 15% of scholarship players are worth less than a full scholarship. The current system spreads the wealth. The reason the elite recruits are not bitching is because they are already getting paid tax free under the table.

As mentioned, this is a bunch of college kids who really haven’t thought anything through and are using it for attention. Personally, bohannon cracks me up and I really don’t give a shit what he says publicly. But a lot of other people care, especially the ones funding the scholarships and facilities.l

I am not worried though, it’s only a matter of time before the narrative changes about how this is fucking over women and minorities, and the whole thing goes away.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
Major metropolitan areas have vastly more "advertising" opportunities. What affects does that have on the U of I?

thrawn

Reaction score
Major metropolitan areas have vastly more "advertising" opportunities. What affects does that have on the U of I?
college sports are going to mean less in those metro areas though

Twin Cities BMW could give $10k to get the gophers QB and 98% of people aren’t going to know who that is

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
college sports are going to mean less in those metro areas though

Twin Cities BMW could give $10k to get the gophers QB and 98% of people aren’t going to know who that is
You're right and could be correct but it's one of those unintended consequences that could kick the Iowa's of the world in the nuts.

thrawn

Reaction score
You're right and could be correct but it's one of those unintended consequences that could kick the Iowa's of the world in the nuts.
I get what you’re saying, I just think you can mostly guess what schools would have $ by the current revenue trends.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
I get what you’re saying, I just think you can mostly guess what schools would have $ by the current revenue trends.
Right. Ohio State is going to have the most opportunities, followed by Michigan. Then in some order there is Wisconsin, Penn State, Nebrantska MSU and Iowa.

thrawn

Reaction score
Right. Ohio State is going to have the most opportunities, followed by Michigan. Then in some order there is Wisconsin, Penn State, Nebrantska MSU and Iowa.
The schools that would probably benefit the most are the ones with a bunch of money that seem to have shitty admins and keep chasing coaches. Something like A&M football where they have a shit ton of insane support but can only directly turn that into giving Fisher a bazillion dollars. If that money is being partially re-directed to players somehow, they probably recruit better.

Last edited:

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Reaction score
Such a slow time of year. I wish we actually had games to talk about.

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
most of fran's '14 and '15 classes should be required to repay the school's investment

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
Saw after the Wisconsin game that Trice, Potter, Ford and Reuvers are likely moving on but that Davison might use the free year because of course.

Reaction score
There are more and more players entering the portal who would be playing a ton of minutes at their school if they remained where they were.

At this point, a lot of these guys are clearly just looking to get paid as much as they can by opening up the bidding again.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Carter is a nice player. Probably a usable bench player for a P5. Streaky shooter, decent size/length and athleticism. Post up game is ok, rebounding solid. Iowa seems pretty set at the 3/4, so doubt Iowa will have any interest but I could see him ending up at ISU, NW, Minnesota.