**Purdue vs. Iowa Basketball - 3/3/20 - 8pm - BTN**

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
I hate this mentality of “once we get out of big ten play” we’ll play better. How about we start playing well again in the big ten consistently? I’m sick of the early exits from the BTT and continuing to get pushed around by more physical teams in the league. At some point, need to start getting some more guys that have some balls and can match the physicality of the other teams in the league. Garza can’t do it all on his own.

Reaction score
I hate this mentality of “once we get out of big ten play” we’ll play better. How about we start playing well again in the big ten consistently?
7 of 8 years they're .500 or better in the Big Ten. Last 6 years they're 59-52 in the Big Ten and that includes the disaster 4-14 year.
In those 6 years they've finished T3, T3, T5, 6 and now between 4-6 in the toughest league in the country of 14 teams. That's consistently playing pretty well.

douglasbader

Thinks Trump is smart.
Reaction score
I hate this mentality of “once we get out of big ten play” we’ll play better. How about we start playing well again in the big ten consistently? I’m sick of the early exits from the BTT and continuing to get pushed around by more physical teams in the league. At some point, need to start getting some more guys that have some balls and can match the physicality of the other teams in the league. Garza can’t do it all on his own.
Shut the fuck up with this shit.

Reaction score
Outside of Purdue, Iowa didn't really get pushed around. Joe needs to find a way to be productive, but that criticism doesn't really fit this team.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding
Reaction score
Fits Joe perfectly though. And other Iowa teams. There's precedent. This team as a whole has been refreshing in that regard. Thank you, Luka.

Reaction score
This team has responded well after losses, but Joe W needs to get out of his funk.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
Purdue x2, Mich St, Penn St at times, Maryland at times. If the team is not hitting shots, they get their shit kicked in. Have to find a way to muscle up when the shots aren't falling

Rolo Tomassi

Friend to All Small Animals
Reaction score
Fran talked on the radio and his post game about Joe being hesitant and waiting for things to be perfect to shoot. They keep telling him to let it fly.

He's playing with zero confidence and letting it effect his energy and focus.
Advice for Joe W: "He who hesitates is lost" - Cato

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
7 of 8 years they're .500 or better in the Big Ten. Last 6 years they're 59-52 in the Big Ten and that includes the disaster 4-14 year.
In those 6 years they've finished T3, T3, T5, 6 and now between 4-6 in the toughest league in the country of 14 teams. That's consistently playing pretty well.
But consistently poor against the more physical teams. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy about the success as a whole. However, it drives me crazy how Fran’s teams continue to get bullied at times in league play. Have to be able to match these teams if Fran is ever going to win a big ten title or settle for mostly middle of the pack seasons

coff

Strip Mall Attorney & Scholar
Reaction score
Purdue shot 8-32 in the second half and won by 9.

Iowa had an opportunity around the 16 minute mark to get it under 10 and make it a real game and they continued to take terrible shots. It felt like they were trying to get it all back with 1 shot rather than continuing to chip away at the lead.

Also, Fran has got to get Frederick and Wieskamp more shots. He also needs to tel every player on the team, if you hesitate before shooting a 3, don’t shoot it. Move the ball and get it back. When Connor took the 2 in rhythm he knocked them down. When he hesitated he wasn’t even close.
He's trying, but it's hard when Wieskamp refuses to shoot.

Reaction score
The idea that “Joe will be fine” seems like a strange rationalization to what is happening on the floor. He is as timid as anyone I have seen in a while. What makes you think that will change when the stakes are higher in a tournament setting like the BTT or NCAA? I don’t see it. These frustrations will continue and his only hope is to get stronger in the off season. I hope he hits a few shots early against IL and I eat crow. However if I’m a betting man that’s not where my money is headed.

coff

Strip Mall Attorney & Scholar
Reaction score
I really don’t think the offense was the issue tonight. Rebounding and effort/hustle were. Iowa got plenty of good looks but missed them which happens.

Sometimes you need a game like that to refocus on little things. Just sucks that 2 years in a row Iowa has gotten punked on their home floor on senior night.
Uh, yes it was.

douglasbader

Thinks Trump is smart.
Reaction score
The idea that “Joe will be fine” seems like a strange rationalization to what is happening on the floor. He is as timid as anyone I have seen in a while. What makes you think that will change when the stakes are higher in a tournament setting like the BTT or NCAA? I don’t see it. These frustrations will continue and his only hope is to get stronger in the off season. I hope he hits a few shots early against IL and I eat crow. However if I’m a betting man that’s not where my money is headed.
Lol.

I'm sure that the first 20 years of his life and the first 2 years at Iowa were a fluke and the last 5 games is the norm and not the outlier.

Players go through slumps all the time. As frustrating as it is to watch him struggle right now, it is absurd to suggest he won't break out of this at some point soon.

Marble went through a similar weird stretch when he was a junior. He had a stretch where you could hardly even recognize him culminating with him playing 5 minutes at Minnesota.

He broke out of it. Joe will as well.

Reaction score
Lol.

I'm sure that the first 20 years of his life and the first 2 years at Iowa were a fluke and the last 5 games is the norm and not the outlier.

Players go through slumps all the time. As frustrating as it is to watch him struggle right now, it is absurd to suggest he won't break out of this at some point soon.

Marble went through a similar weird stretch when he was a junior. He had a stretch where you could hardly even recognize him culminating with him playing 5 minutes at Minnesota.

He broke out of it. Joe will as well.
I hope you are right. I just don’t see a confidence issue correcting itself when stakes are higher. That thought doesn’t make sense. The fact is none of can speak to what’s wrong with him at this point, it’s all speculation. I also wouldn’t compare Joe to Marble. Marble forced the issue when he shouldn’t and that’s when he was bad. Joe is pussy and that wasn’t Marbles problem. You call this a slump and I hope it is but I’m afraid it’s a bit more than that. Teams are playing him more aggressively and he can’t handle it right now.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding
Reaction score
Joe needs a game where he gets a few easy transition buckets to take the pressure off. Could be as easy as that. Unfortunately, he's not putting in a lot of effort on that end either right now.

Playing in a regional game with the arena half empty and against teams that aren't as familiar isn't going to hurt at all.

douglasbader

Thinks Trump is smart.
Reaction score
I hope you are right. I just don’t see a confidence issue correcting itself when stakes are higher. That thought doesn’t make sense. The fact is none of can speak to what’s wrong with him at this point, it’s all speculation. I also wouldn’t compare Joe to Marble. Marble forced the issue when he shouldn’t and that’s when he was bad. Joe is pussy and that wasn’t Marbles problem. You call this a slump and I hope it is but I’m afraid it’s a bit more than that. Teams are playing him more aggressively and he can’t handle it right now.
Again, what is more logical?

(a) That a really good player suddenly overnight became a shitty player that his only hope lies in the offseason and lifting weights

(b) That a really good player is going through a rough stretch and will get it corrected like countless players before him have done

What you are suggesting as the logical choice is nearly unprecedented. I can't think of any examples off hand where a 1st team / 2nd team all conference player suddenly can't play anymore and has no home of correcting it. The only thing close is that Wisconsin football QB that got the yips and needed time off to correct it.

You also say that nobody can speak to what's wrong with him at this point. That is absurd. It is painfully obvious what is wrong with him. He is in a rough stretch and is mentally second guessing everything he is doing instead of just playing. He's driving when he should shoot, sometimes shooting when he should drive, way too mechanical in his shot trying to be perfect, and the ball isn't bouncing his way.

douglasbader

Thinks Trump is smart.
Reaction score
Here is the stretch that Marble went through as a junior that @CamelTones and I keep referencing. He was flat out awful for a 5 game stretch where he looked like a different player. As you can see, like most good players he pulled out of it nicely.

Screenshot 2020-03-04 at 1.13.47 PM.png

Reaction score
Again, what is more logical?

(a) That a really good player suddenly overnight became a shitty player that his only hope lies in the offseason and lifting weights

(b) That a really good player is going through a rough stretch and will get it corrected like countless players before him have done

What you are suggesting as the logical choice is nearly unprecedented. I can't think of any examples off hand where a 1st team / 2nd team all conference player suddenly can't play anymore and has no home of correcting it. The only thing close is that Wisconsin football QB that got the yips and needed time off to correct it.

You also say that nobody can speak to what's wrong with him at this point. That is absurd. It is painfully obvious what is wrong with him. He is in a rough stretch and is mentally second guessing everything he is doing instead of just playing. He's driving when he should shoot, sometimes shooting when he should drive, way too mechanical in his shot trying to be perfect, and the ball isn't bouncing his way.
Honestly I don’t give a fuck either way. All I said was thinking a guy with confidence issues will just snap out of it on a bigger stage isn’t logical. When I said we can’t know what’s wrong I was talking of an underlying issue that has plagued his confidence. Maybe his old lady was bagging someone else, maybe he is hurt. We can’t begin to know what is going through his head. This is a mental issue and for some those are much harder to break than a physical one. I never said he won’t get over it, I said I would bet (my guess) is that he won’t. I also said I hope I am wrong. Take your weird iowafan crusade somewhere else.

Shpadoinkle

Tagline-havin' son of a bitch
Reaction score
I was watching highlights from some games earlier in the year a couple nights ago. Joe's shots in those games were catch and right into the shooting motion, with the ball popping off his hand. Completely decisive. It is so totally different than what he's been doing the last few games. It's obviously a confidence thing, and he's aiming instead of shooting. Probably all sorts of things going through his head while he's in the middle of a jump shot.

Sometimes the flip from regular season to tourney season can give a guy a mental "clean slate".

Reaction score
It isn't that he has no hope of getting right, it's that there's one regular season game left.

It isn't absurd to be concerned with him not snapping out of it this season.

douglasbader

Thinks Trump is smart.
Reaction score
Honestly I don’t give a fuck either way. All I said was thinking a guy with confidence issues will just snap out of it on a bigger stage isn’t logical. When I said we can’t know what’s wrong I was talking of an underlying issue that has plagued his confidence. Maybe his old lady was bagging someone else, maybe he is hurt. We can’t begin to know what is going through his head. This is a mental issue and for some those are much harder to break than a physical one. I never said he won’t get over it, I said I would bet (my guess) is that he won’t. I also said I hope I am wrong. Take your weird iowafan crusade somewhere else.
I accept your white flag of surrender.

Reaction score
I didn’t realize my stating one opinion and your misinterpretation of that and staying unrelated info needed a surrender but whatever helps you sleep at night.

douglasbader

Thinks Trump is smart.
Reaction score
I didn’t realize my stating one opinion and your misinterpretation of that and staying unrelated info needed a surrender but whatever helps you sleep at night.
Bullshit. I didn't misinterpret anything. You flat out said he isn't breaking out and his only hope was lifting in the offseason.

douglasbader

Thinks Trump is smart.
Reaction score
As dumb as this all is, it isn't as dumb as Dr. Zaius / Slidewilly and their "they get pushed around!!" shit, especially given Iowa just beat the shit out of Ohio State and Penn State and nearly won at Michigan State without Fredrick.

They had a bad game last night, so now it is time for IowaFan to FREAK OUT!!!!!!!!!! and nothing will ever be fixed.

Reaction score
I was watching highlights from some games earlier in the year a couple nights ago. Joe's shots in those games were catch and right into the shooting motion, with the ball popping off his hand. Completely decisive. It is so totally different than what he's been doing the last few games. It's obviously a confidence thing, and he's aiming instead of shooting. Probably all sorts of things going through his head while he's in the middle of a jump shot.

Sometimes the flip from regular season to tourney season can give a guy a mental "clean slate".
I really hoped when he went off on Nebrantska that was him clearing his head, but it seems to have gotten worse since then.

CurdMan

TurdMan
Reaction score
Lots of stupidity in this thread and among Iowa fans today. Pretty incredible considering the season they’ve had. A loss at MSU and first conference loss at home and the sky is falling!!

JWs problem is simply that he is not physical enough to hold up when other teams get rapey with him. Big ten refs allow it and hopefully that won’t be the case in the NCAA tournament. He can’t count on that in the future though. I remember making fun of Jamari Sibley for not wanting to play in the big ten because he feared it was too physical for his game. Probably the same kind of deal for joe- he probably would have better numbers in another P5 conference. But for him to have any kind of future in the NBA he needs to adapt

Reaction score
Lots of stupidity in this thread and among Iowa fans today. Pretty incredible considering the season they’ve had. A loss at MSU and first conference loss at home and the sky is falling!!

JWs problem is simply that he is not physical enough to hold up when other teams get rapey with him. Big ten refs allow it and hopefully that won’t be the case in the NCAA tournament. He can’t count on that in the future though. I remember making fun of Jamari Sibley for not wanting to play in the big ten because he feared it was too physical for his game. Probably the same kind of deal for joe- he probably would have better numbers in another P5 conference. But for him to have any kind of future in the NBA he needs to adapt
Are you suggesting the style of basketball in the NBA is similar to the giant douche? Because it is most definitely not.