Smart turns down Illinois

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Joined
Apr 21, 2011
Messages
4,193
Reaction score
5,641
Yeah, I hate the Illini as much as the next guy. With that said, it is clearly still a top job in the Big Ten and probably a top 15 job in the country, if not top 10.
NFW. It's the 5th best job in the B10 behind IU, MSU, MICH and OSU. At least. It's probably a top 30 job in the country. Somewhere in the 20s.
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,388
Reaction score
52,355
They should throw some money at Marquette's coach.

Edit: Nevermind. He's a dogshit recruiter.
Looking at Marquette's recruiting classes and I'm not sure what's so dogshit about it. Five top 150 guys from 2011 to 2013.
He has an all 3-star class for 2012 and only one 4-star in 2011. Weber had better recruits at Illinois. Just hearing from the retarded Illinois fans that I know, one of the biggest gripes they have about Weber is that he missed out on a lot of the 5 star recruits within the state. Illini fans want a guy that is capable of keeping those kids in state.

Maybe dogshit was a little extreme, but they want a better recruiter than what Williams has shown so far as a head coach.
 

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Joined
Mar 23, 2010
Messages
8,355
Reaction score
-1,948
It's okay to disagree with Seth Davis--I do, frequently. He tends to be a sniveling weasel. However, he's right about Illinois being a top 10 job. We're talking about potential here.
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,388
Reaction score
52,355
Well, why don't we take a look at this by naming jobs that are better (feel free to add any I might be missing):

Certainly better:
UCLA
Kentucky
North Carolina
Duke
Kansas
Syracuse
Michigan
Indiana
Michigan State
Ohio State
Texas
UCONN

Jobs that are as good and may be better depending on opinion:
Louisville
St. John's
Notre Dame
Pitt
Arizona
Villanova
Maryland
Wake Forest
Oklahoma
Stanford
Florida
Tennessee
Memphis

So it's probably somewhere between 13-26. Feel free to call me retarded.
 
Joined
Nov 25, 2007
Messages
11,856
Reaction score
-830
If it isn't a Top Fifteen job, it should be. (1) Great conference; (2) Good Tradition; (3) Rabid Fans; and (4) Chicago. Maybe there is a facilities issue I'm not aware of, or the Administration is horrible. Looking objectively, it should be a great job with a chance to be extremely successful.
 
Joined
Nov 25, 2007
Messages
11,856
Reaction score
-830
Well, why don't we take a look at this by naming jobs that are better (feel free to add any I might be missing):

Certainly better:
UCLA
Kentucky
North Carolina
Duke
Kansas
Syracuse
Michigan
Indiana
Michigan State
Ohio State
Texas
UCONN

Jobs that are as good and may be better depending on opinion:
Louisville
St. John's
Notre Dame
Pitt
Arizona
Villanova
Maryland
Wake Forest
Oklahoma
Stanford
Florida
Tennessee
Memphis

So it's probably somewhere between 13-26. Feel free to call me retarded.
I don't know if I'd put UCONN ahead of it. There may be one in the second batch I'd rank higher, but nothing jumps out as clearly better.

I'll be honest--I'm not even factoring in a school like Duke when thinking through these lists, and barely a school like North Carolina. Those aren't "jobs" in the sense they're not opening soon and aren't in a realistic thought process for a coach thinking of the next big thing this year or next.
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,388
Reaction score
52,355
Well, why don't we take a look at this by naming jobs that are better (feel free to add any I might be missing):

Certainly better:
UCLA
Kentucky
North Carolina
Duke
Kansas
Syracuse
Michigan
Indiana
Michigan State
Ohio State
Texas
UCONN

Jobs that are as good and may be better depending on opinion:
Louisville
St. John's
Notre Dame
Pitt
Arizona
Villanova
Maryland
Wake Forest
Oklahoma
Stanford
Florida
Tennessee
Memphis

So it's probably somewhere between 13-26. Feel free to call me retarded.
I don't know if I'd put UCONN ahead of it. There may be one in the second batch I'd rank higher, but nothing jumps out as clearly better.

I'll be honest--I'm not even factoring in a school like Duke when thinking through these lists, and barely a school like North Carolina. Those aren't "jobs" in the sense they're not opening soon and aren't in a realistic thought process for a coach thinking of the next big thing this year or next.
Then think of it as top destinations for coaches.
 

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
74,290
Reaction score
17,814
If it isn't a Top Fifteen job, it should be. (1) Great conference; (2) Good Tradition; (3) Rabid Fans; and (4) Chicago. Maybe there is a facilities issue I'm not aware of, or the Administration is horrible. Looking objectively, it should be a great job with a chance to be extremely successful.
The problem is #4. Illinois fans think Illinois should be able to lock down Chicago, but to some kid playing at Simeon or Brother Rice, Champaign might as well be Lexington.

Besides, in today's recruiting world, being in-state doesn't mean nearly as much as it used to. AAU coaches and connections rule everything, particularly so with Chicago. What they need is some sleazeball with connections to the Chicago AAU and High School coaches, because nobody gives a shit that Champaign is an in-state school.
 

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Joined
Mar 23, 2010
Messages
8,355
Reaction score
-1,948
As suggested above, the people who say Illinois is a top 10 job are talking about potential. It's obviously not a top 10 program right now, but it has everything needed to be one on a consistent basis.

In terms of potential, Illinois is one of the top three basketball jobs in the Big Ten. It probably has more talent than any Big Ten state, and it has only one state school competing for that talent. It is THE Univerity of Illinois. Take Izzo out of MSU and what have you got? A program that excelled in the first instance thank to the fortuity of Earvin Johnson growing up there, and then Izzo rasiing it up himself. Michigan has a good history but Illinois has better potential. Indiana and Ohio State are the only two that rival or exceed the potential of Illinois. If Illinois ever found a coach who could consistently land the best home-grown talent, and actually coach them up, they'd be winning conference titles and making deep NCAA runs on a regular basis. And the coach would be swimming in cash.

That's why Illinois is a top 10 job in terms of potential.

As an aside, there are some jobs that most people would list as top 10 programs right now that may not remain consistent top 10 programs after their current HC's retire (or are run off). That list could include Duke, Syracuse and Connecticut, for starters. It's very difficult to follow a legend, and really what is there about any of those schools that makes them preferable to any number of other good programs equally close to the big recruiting hubs? They could all fall off the list a coach or two down the road.
 
Last edited:

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,388
Reaction score
52,355
If it isn't a Top Fifteen job, it should be. (1) Great conference; (2) Good Tradition; (3) Rabid Fans; and (4) Chicago. Maybe there is a facilities issue I'm not aware of, or the Administration is horrible. Looking objectively, it should be a great job with a chance to be extremely successful.
The problem is #4. Illinois fans think Illinois should be able to lock down Chicago, but to some kid playing at Simeon or Brother Rice, Champaign might as well be Lexington.

Besides, in today's recruiting world, being in-state doesn't mean nearly as much as it used to. AAU coaches and connections rule everything, particularly so with Chicago. What they need is some sleazeball with connections to the Chicago AAU and High School coaches, because nobody gives a shit that Champaign is an in-state school.
That's why I've always wondered why Depaul isn't so much better than it is. Other than that recruiting class they had with Richardson in the late '90s, it doesn't seem like they've been able to get as many talented recruits there as they should be able to.
 

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
74,290
Reaction score
17,814
If it isn't a Top Fifteen job, it should be. (1) Great conference; (2) Good Tradition; (3) Rabid Fans; and (4) Chicago. Maybe there is a facilities issue I'm not aware of, or the Administration is horrible. Looking objectively, it should be a great job with a chance to be extremely successful.
The problem is #4. Illinois fans think Illinois should be able to lock down Chicago, but to some kid playing at Simeon or Brother Rice, Champaign might as well be Lexington.

Besides, in today's recruiting world, being in-state doesn't mean nearly as much as it used to. AAU coaches and connections rule everything, particularly so with Chicago. What they need is some sleazeball with connections to the Chicago AAU and High School coaches, because nobody gives a shit that Champaign is an in-state school.
That's why I've always wondered why Depaul isn't so much better than it is. Other than that recruiting class they had with Richardson in the late '90s, it doesn't seem like they've been able to get as many talented recruits there as they should be able to.
If Depaul had decent facilities near campus, they would be a force. Their arena situation is really shitty.
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,388
Reaction score
52,355
The problem is #4. Illinois fans think Illinois should be able to lock down Chicago, but to some kid playing at Simeon or Brother Rice, Champaign might as well be Lexington.

Besides, in today's recruiting world, being in-state doesn't mean nearly as much as it used to. AAU coaches and connections rule everything, particularly so with Chicago. What they need is some sleazeball with connections to the Chicago AAU and High School coaches, because nobody gives a shit that Champaign is an in-state school.
That's why I've always wondered why Depaul isn't so much better than it is. Other than that recruiting class they had with Richardson in the late '90s, it doesn't seem like they've been able to get as many talented recruits there as they should be able to.
If Depaul had decent facilities near campus, they would be a force. Their arena situation is really shitty.
You'd think they would just spend the money to do that considering the type of return they would likely get on their investment. Hell, I didn't go to Depaul, but if they were good and had Louisville or Syracuse coming to town I'd probably go see the game.

The students over there spend 25-30,000 a year to go there, you'd think they would have enough money to throw around to make this happen. Instead, they pour all of the money into trying to make the entire campus smells like cedar wood chips.
 

ISUFan98

The Captain of Team Dumbfuck
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
117,131
Reaction score
25,876
If it isn't a Top Fifteen job, it should be. (1) Great conference; (2) Good Tradition; (3) Rabid Fans; and (4) Chicago. Maybe there is a facilities issue I'm not aware of, or the Administration is horrible. Looking objectively, it should be a great job with a chance to be extremely successful.
The problem is #4. Illinois fans think Illinois should be able to lock down Chicago, but to some kid playing at Simeon or Brother Rice, Champaign might as well be Lexington.

Besides, in today's recruiting world, being in-state doesn't mean nearly as much as it used to. AAU coaches and connections rule everything, particularly so with Chicago. What they need is some sleazeball with connections to the Chicago AAU and High School coaches, because nobody gives a shit that Champaign is an in-state school.
This. It's not like other Big Ten programs aren't already going all-in for Chicago kids (Notre Dame and Marquette as well), and have built up a pretty sizeable reputation with recruits there. And that says nothing of other national programs (Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, UNC, etc.) who would make serious runs at blue chip recruits.

The last time Illinois made the Final Four, current HS juniors and seniors were in grade school. Hell, Illinois has only made the Final Four twice in the last fifty years. They had some good years with Henson, Self, and then Weber did a good job with Bill Self's recruits. But it's not like Illinois was a perennial national championship or even a Final Four contender in the vast majority of those years.

The CW that Illinois should be successful at least in large part b/c of their proximity to Chicago has always been flawed IMO. Madison, West Lafayette, Milwaukee and South Bend are all as close, if not closer to Chicago than Champaign. And it's not like Bloomington, Ann Arbor, Lansing, and Columbus are that far away.
 
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
28,581
Reaction score
-6,048
65 god damn posts about Illinois basketball?!??!


HaLo - 2 weeks, tops.
 
Joined
Aug 31, 2011
Messages
4,308
Reaction score
-764
Same subject different slant...

I think this is a huge risk for Smart. He not so publicly turned down offers last year and this year turns down a former boss who offers him a truckload of money. If he keeps winning then chances are offers will keep coming, but at what point do schools think of him as untouchable? He could have just priced himself out of a great opportunity at another school.

If he misses out on the tournament (like this year had they not won the conference tourney) for a couple years in a row and it will likely not get another offer like this one, barring another final four run. He must really like it in Richmond.
 

HawkLax6

Thinks the 2 Deeps Matter
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
28,690
Reaction score
-10,540
Well, why don't we take a look at this by naming jobs that are better (feel free to add any I might be missing):

Certainly better:
UCLA
Kentucky
North Carolina
Duke
Kansas
Syracuse
Michigan
Indiana
Michigan State
Ohio State
Texas
UCONN
I have no problem with most of those teams except Texas. No way in hell Texas basketball is a better job than Illinois.

Texas people don't give a shit about the basketball team, especially when compared to the football team.
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,388
Reaction score
52,355
You can get high level talent down at Texas though. And people care when the team's good.
 

HiawathaHawk

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Sep 21, 2010
Messages
14,597
Reaction score
1,867
I have never heard anyone say Illinois is a top 10 job in the country. I haven't even heard top 15. No fucking way is it top 10
Seth Davis and others have been saying that. I don't know if it's top 10 but it's not far off. I would say it's top 15, definitely top 20.
 
Joined
Jan 9, 2008
Messages
40,675
Reaction score
-5,574
The U of I, like the rest of the state is pretty dysfunctional right now.

Not sure if Smart wanted to come into that sort of environment.

Once things get unfucked in Champaign, maybe it'll be a top 20 job, but right now I dont think it is.

The entire athletic department is rather mediocre at the moment and the school has its issues up top.

Reputation in Chicago? Not what it used to be...then again..Chicago AAU hoops is a clusterfuck as well.

I think a facelift of sorts is needed in boring ole Champaign..

The University of Illinois has become synonymous with mediocrity

I will say this, if the Illini can gain a stranglehold in Chicago w/o landing on probation..they'll be a force. They should have access to St. Louis too. A buzz needs to be created and sustained around Illini athletics and that hasnt happened for the basketball or football program as of late
 
Last edited:
Joined
Jan 9, 2008
Messages
40,675
Reaction score
-5,574
North Carolina
Duke
Michigan
Ohio State
Michigan State
Texas (yes Texas-way more resources and support from administration)
Kansas (Self ditched IL for KU)
Syracuse
UCONN (Big East-access to east coast talent-tradition)
Kentucky (see Louisville)
Louisville (Great tradition-Basketball school)
Indiana (maybe)
UCLA
Florida (2 national championships and great admin support)
Stanford (Best athletic dept in nation)
Georgetown (Big East-tradition-access to talent)
 
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
6,160
Reaction score
-15
One of my Illinois friends claimed they offered Brad Stevens $21 million over 8 years and they think he will accept.
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,388
Reaction score
52,355
One of my Illinois friends claimed they offered Brad Stevens $21 million over 8 years and they think he will accept.
I don't think he's a good fit. He's a good coach, but I don't think you can win at Illinois unless you are willing to be sleazy.
 

HiawathaHawk

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Sep 21, 2010
Messages
14,597
Reaction score
1,867
One of my Illinois friends claimed they offered Brad Stevens $21 million over 8 years and they think he will accept.
Brad Stevens ain't recruiting Chicago.
I can see this going down like Todd coming here. I actually love the hire from our point of view.
No fucking way.

And there's no reason why you have to be sleazy to win at Illinois. He doesn't need Chicago kids. He would scare me a hell of a lot more than Shaka.
 

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
28,045
Reaction score
10,866
This will end badly for Illinois' AD.
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,388
Reaction score
52,355
Brad Stevens ain't recruiting Chicago.
I can see this going down like Todd coming here. I actually love the hire from our point of view.
No fucking way.

And there's no reason why you have to be sleazy to win at Illinois. He doesn't need Chicago kids. He would scare me a hell of a lot more than Shaka.
I totally disagree. I think he's a bad fit for Illinois, I really do.
 

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
74,290
Reaction score
17,814
I can see this going down like Todd coming here. I actually love the hire from our point of view.
No fucking way.

And there's no reason why you have to be sleazy to win at Illinois. He doesn't need Chicago kids. He would scare me a hell of a lot more than Shaka.
I totally disagree. I think he's a bad fit for Illinois, I really do.
Winning cures everything. You can play boring ass basketball if you're Bo Ryan and make the NCAA tournament every year. But Illinois fans are going to have zero patience for the Butler way if Stevens doesn't win, and win fast.
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,388
Reaction score
52,355
Their fans have to hate the idea of Stevens being their coach, don't they?
 

HiawathaHawk

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Sep 21, 2010
Messages
14,597
Reaction score
1,867
Their fans have to hate the idea of Stevens being their coach, don't they?
Not from what I've seen. I think they realize he's easily one of the best coaches in the country who also has a bit of a personality and can recruit.
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,388
Reaction score
52,355
LOL. This is fucking awesome.
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,388
Reaction score
52,355
The Chicago Tribune is now reporting that the Illini are going after Groce from Ohio. Illinois messageboard fans are REALLY not thrilled about the potential hire.
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,388
Reaction score
52,355
Groce has a 34-30 record in the MAC. He does have 2 NCAA tournament appearances with a 3-2 record in the tournament, however, despite never finishing higher than 3rd in MAC regular season play.
 

HiawathaHawk

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Sep 21, 2010
Messages
14,597
Reaction score
1,867
Groce is about as good as you can hope for from an Iowa perspective.
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,388
Reaction score
52,355
Groce is about as good as you can hope for from an Iowa perspective.
Theus has expressed interest. :)

I read in the tribune that there's a significant amount of pressure from the board of trustees to hire an African-American. Unfortunately, or rather fortunately from our point of view, Anthony Grant, Hamilton from Florida State, and Romar from Washington have all expressed no interest in taking the Illinois job after Illinois' AD reached out to them.

They are on their 6th candidate right now in Groce. LOL what a mess.
 
Top