Fran's got himself a group full of fine young men.
If he comes back I hope he gets fat againhe used to be able to absorb such a blowDon't let the door hit you in the ass Cordell.
Also could be Fran is sick of the media blowing up Pemsl and Cook 100 times a day trying to break a story.In all seriousness, these are boner inducing comments.On Wednesday, University of Iowa sophomore Tyler Cook provided Hawkeye men's basketball fans an update on his future.
"Playing in the NBA is a dream of mine for as long as I can remember and I am taking full advantage of this opportunity to see where I stand so I can make an informed decision for my future," Cook said.
The power forward said that rumors of him already having one foot out the door for the NBA are simply not true.
"When I committed here, I made a commitment and I am sticking by that commitment," Cook said.
Cook said it is still early in the process, but so far it has been a lot of fun and he has learned a lot, not only about how the NBA works, but about himself.
"I am still participating in team drills and doing everything with my teammates," said Cook. "Later this month is when I can start working out with NBA teams. If I chose, I can also hold a Pro Day. I am still learning about the process."
Cook, who was honorable mention All-Big Ten selection last season, says feedback from teams and the advisory committee will factor as to whether he stays at Iowa or keeps his name in for the NBA Draft.
"I have two great situations," Cook said. "Whether I go to the NBA, I will be reaching a dream of mine or coming back for my junior year is not a bad option either. When I have all the information in front of me I will be able to make an informed decision."
Cook said Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery and the coaching staff have been awesome throughout the process.
"They have done nothing but support and help me," said Cook. "They have always been there for me as long as I have been here. They are a valuable resource, not just for basketball, but in life, and preparing me for the process of balancing my academics and working out with the teams."
McCaffery said he wants Cook to make it to the NBA as much as he wants it for himself.
"There's no doubt in my mind that it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when," said McCaffery. "Maybe it isn't this year, but maybe it is. The bottom line is he needs to get feedback, attend workouts, and see how it goes. We are supporting him in his pursuit."
Cook, who led the team in scoring (15.3) and rebounding (6.8) last season, said he is looking to improve is overall skill set this offseason.
"I want to be more explosive, faster, and quicker," Cook said. "I am trying to be the best physical athlete I can be. My bread and butter is on the inside, but I need to be a more consistent shooter from anywhere on the floor and be able to handle the basketball in any situation. It's a skill set any player in my position needs to do be successful at Iowa and the next level."
This is a message board so we speculate on everything, so in that tradition......
These articles came directly from the program and seem like setting the record straight on Pemsl and also squashing any lingering rumor on Cook. It also seems like this is softening the way for Cook to come back.
I also think the most notable and maybe the most important part of this article and comments is they don't mention the NBA Draft Combine in Chicago on any level. They mention workouts for NBA teams, they mention a pro day, but they don't mention going to Chicago. Perhaps he already found out he isn't going to be invited and that in some way prompted this article.
I don’t see it as sad. I see it as getting frustrated with the big ten and giving up to save his job. The style of play fucking sucks, there is no way around it. I don’t think bringing a wide open system with leaner players was a bad move at all. It’s the way Basketball is supposed to be played.its kinda sad that it took them 8 years to figure out stronger basketball players are a good thing.
Ive been having flashbacks from the boxing coaches of the 70s telling us lifting would make us "muscle bound"...
There's plenty of teams with stronger players than Iowa that play a wide-open style. Being strong doesn't preclude you from playing any style of basketballI don’t see it as sad. I see it as getting frustrated with the big ten and giving up to save his job. The style of play fucking sucks, there is no way around it. I don’t think bringing a wide open system with leaner players was a bad move at all. It’s the way Basketball is supposed to be played.its kinda sad that it took them 8 years to figure out stronger basketball players are a good thing.
Ive been having flashbacks from the boxing coaches of the 70s telling us lifting would make us "muscle bound"...
LOLI don’t see it as sad. I see it as getting frustrated with the big ten and giving up to save his job. The style of play fucking sucks, there is no way around it. I don’t think bringing a wide open system with leaner players was a bad move at all. It’s the way Basketball is supposed to be played.its kinda sad that it took them 8 years to figure out stronger basketball players are a good thing.
Ive been having flashbacks from the boxing coaches of the 70s telling us lifting would make us "muscle bound"...
I don’t see it as sad. I see it as getting frustrated with the big ten and giving up to save his job. The style of play fucking sucks, there is no way around it. I don’t think bringing a wide open system with leaner players was a bad move at all. It’s the way Basketball is supposed to be played.its kinda sad that it took them 8 years to figure out stronger basketball players are a good thing.
Ive been having flashbacks from the boxing coaches of the 70s telling us lifting would make us "muscle bound"...
You have to be trolling.Iowa was the highest tempo team in the league, but only 71st nationally. Only two big ten teams were close- the rest of the conference ranked from 214 down to 347.
It’s fucking Lick ball.
You realize that 90% of this board bitches about physical play in the conference most of the year correct?You have to be trolling.Iowa was the highest tempo team in the league, but only 71st nationally. Only two big ten teams were close- the rest of the conference ranked from 214 down to 347.
It’s fucking Lick ball.
The Criminal has been gone for quite a while now. This conversation is now about your preference for lean young college basketball men. Carry on.Iowa was the highest tempo team in the league, but only 71st nationally. Only two big ten teams were close- the rest of the conference ranked from 214 down to 347.
It’s fucking Lick ball.
And speaking of Lick ball, Lick my fucking balls
I just posted this on TOS as well. I saw a blurb on Twitter a couple weeks ago about both of them being involved with the Marist job as well.
Yeah, Doug and Fran are still tight. You don’t just wander into a scoop like that.Looks like ol' Fran may finally be pushing him to move on.
I think we all hope Cook turns himself into a guy that prides himself on defense and hustle. I would be fine with him never developing anything additional offensively if he turned himself into an above average defender. That would be quite the transformation though.I think it is another year off and not exactly an equal comparison, but maybe Tyler Cook can have a OG Anunoby like development.
He wasn't exactly a shooter or anything more than an extreme athlete in college, but he has transformed himself in Toronto. He is hitting threes, playing well inside and the mid-range while defending and giving the #1 seed in the East their first game 1 win in a long time.
Cook is similar size and athleticism. The obvious is the defense needs to be there and the shooting needs to improve.
More hustle? I'm sure the NBA draft experts have told him his key to success in the NBA is more hustle.I think we all hope Cook turns himself into a guy that prides himself on defense and hustle.
And speaking of Lick ball, Lick my fucking balls
http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/hawkeyes/iowa-mens-basketball/todd-The Criminal-hired-by-evansville-as-assistant-coach-20180414Former Iowa men’s basketball coach Todd The Criminal is back in NCAA Division I coaching.
Evansville finalized its new coaching staff Friday by naming The Criminal and Matthew Graves as assistants under new head coach Walter McCarty.
Walter McCarty appears to be incompetent.And speaking of Lick ball, Lick my fucking ballshttp://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/hawkeyes/iowa-mens-basketball/todd-The Criminal-hired-by-evansville-as-assistant-coach-20180414Former Iowa men’s basketball coach Todd The Criminal is back in NCAA Division I coaching.
Evansville finalized its new coaching staff Friday by naming The Criminal and Matthew Graves as assistants under new head coach Walter McCarty.
Yep...Walter McCarty appears to be incompetent.And speaking of Lick ball, Lick my fucking ballshttp://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/hawkeyes/iowa-mens-basketball/todd-The Criminal-hired-by-evansville-as-assistant-coach-20180414Former Iowa men’s basketball coach Todd The Criminal is back in NCAA Division I coaching.
Evansville finalized its new coaching staff Friday by naming The Criminal and Matthew Graves as assistants under new head coach Walter McCarty.
“The opportunity to have someone with the experience of Todd The Criminal next to me in my first season as a head coach is very exciting,” said McCarty, who was most recently an assistant coach with the Celtics for five years. “With all of the experience he has had as a head coach, he will be invaluable to myself and our team. He has a great basketball mind and is a wonderful teacher of the game.”
I'm confused by this post but when a guy can't separate himself with length, athleticism or skill you better bring something else to the table. Effort, rebounding and defense are absolutely things NBA teams looks for when your going to be a late second rounder or undrafted.More hustle? I'm sure the NBA draft experts have told him his key to success in the NBA is more hustle.I think we all hope Cook turns himself into a guy that prides himself on defense and hustle.
Yeah, like teaching him 40 hour work weeks.Yep...
“The opportunity to have someone with the experience of Todd The Criminal next to me in my first season as a head coach is very exciting,” said McCarty, who was most recently an assistant coach with the Celtics for five years. “With all of the experience he has had as a head coach, he will be invaluable to myself and our team. He has a great basketball mind and is a wonderful teacher of the game.”
You go, Brady.
I was never a fan of Brady at Iowa but that’s a pretty good fit. He is better suited for the MVC.
I’ll take making a three in the final seconds ftw.I hope he beats iowa state on 50-52 shooting from 3pt
I hope he has a nice little lunch at the South Union Bread Cafe.I hope he beats iowa state on 50-52 shooting from 3pt
I hope he beats iowa state on 50-52 shooting from 3pt
these are things that will happen to Iowa.I’ll take making a three in the final seconds ftw.
Not true! Drake doesn’t play Iowa in the upcoming year.I hope he beats iowa state on 50-52 shooting from 3ptthese are things that will happen to Iowa.I’ll take making a three in the final seconds ftw.
So he is coming back? Awesome.The consensus amongst the Iowa reporters/web guys is that Cook is gone regardless of NBA evaluations.
Was just about to post this.So he is coming back? Awesome.The consensus amongst the Iowa reporters/web guys is that Cook is gone regardless of NBA evaluations.
Cheers!So he is coming back? Awesome.The consensus amongst the Iowa reporters/web guys is that Cook is gone regardless of NBA evaluations.
Was this posted on TOS or something? You posted it without linking anything or giving any background.Cheers!So he is coming back? Awesome.The consensus amongst the Iowa reporters/web guys is that Cook is gone regardless of NBA evaluations.