**2018 Iowa Basketball Offseason Thread**

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,649
Reaction score
-14,437
Fran's got himself a group full of fine young men.
 

TJones3312

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Oct 11, 2014
Messages
6,935
Reaction score
4,521
On Wednesday, University of Iowa sophomore Tyler Cook provided Hawkeye men's basketball fans an update on his future.

"Playing in the NBA is a dream of mine for as long as I can remember and I am taking full advantage of this opportunity to see where I stand so I can make an informed decision for my future," Cook said.

The power forward said that rumors of him already having one foot out the door for the NBA are simply not true.

"When I committed here, I made a commitment and I am sticking by that commitment," Cook said.

Cook said it is still early in the process, but so far it has been a lot of fun and he has learned a lot, not only about how the NBA works, but about himself.

"I am still participating in team drills and doing everything with my teammates," said Cook. "Later this month is when I can start working out with NBA teams. If I chose, I can also hold a Pro Day. I am still learning about the process."

Cook, who was honorable mention All-Big Ten selection last season, says feedback from teams and the advisory committee will factor as to whether he stays at Iowa or keeps his name in for the NBA Draft.

"I have two great situations," Cook said. "Whether I go to the NBA, I will be reaching a dream of mine or coming back for my junior year is not a bad option either. When I have all the information in front of me I will be able to make an informed decision."

Cook said Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery and the coaching staff have been awesome throughout the process.

"They have done nothing but support and help me," said Cook. "They have always been there for me as long as I have been here. They are a valuable resource, not just for basketball, but in life, and preparing me for the process of balancing my academics and working out with the teams."

McCaffery said he wants Cook to make it to the NBA as much as he wants it for himself.

"There's no doubt in my mind that it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when," said McCaffery. "Maybe it isn't this year, but maybe it is. The bottom line is he needs to get feedback, attend workouts, and see how it goes. We are supporting him in his pursuit."

Cook, who led the team in scoring (15.3) and rebounding (6.8) last season, said he is looking to improve is overall skill set this offseason.

"I want to be more explosive, faster, and quicker," Cook said. "I am trying to be the best physical athlete I can be. My bread and butter is on the inside, but I need to be a more consistent shooter from anywhere on the floor and be able to handle the basketball in any situation. It's a skill set any player in my position needs to do be successful at Iowa and the next level."
In all seriousness, these are boner inducing comments.

This is a message board so we speculate on everything, so in that tradition......

These articles came directly from the program and seem like setting the record straight on Pemsl and also squashing any lingering rumor on Cook. It also seems like this is softening the way for Cook to come back.

I also think the most notable and maybe the most important part of this article and comments is they don't mention the NBA Draft Combine in Chicago on any level. They mention workouts for NBA teams, they mention a pro day, but they don't mention going to Chicago. Perhaps he already found out he isn't going to be invited and that in some way prompted this article.
Also could be Fran is sick of the media blowing up Pemsl and Cook 100 times a day trying to break a story.
 

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Joined
Oct 20, 2007
Messages
53,326
Reaction score
-12,534
I suppose it was fair for the players to think people were talking about their physiques.

 

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Joined
Oct 17, 2011
Messages
8,952
Reaction score
-4,697
Looks like Leistikow had an article written and was too lazy to modify it after the comments from both Pemsl and Cook today.
 

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
92,229
Reaction score
-96,189
its kinda sad that it took them 8 years to figure out stronger basketball players are a good thing.

Ive been having flashbacks from the boxing coaches of the 70s telling us lifting would make us "muscle bound"...
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,235
Reaction score
1,536
its kinda sad that it took them 8 years to figure out stronger basketball players are a good thing.

Ive been having flashbacks from the boxing coaches of the 70s telling us lifting would make us "muscle bound"...
I don’t see it as sad. I see it as getting frustrated with the big ten and giving up to save his job. The style of play fucking sucks, there is no way around it. I don’t think bringing a wide open system with leaner players was a bad move at all. It’s the way Basketball is supposed to be played.
 

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
92,229
Reaction score
-96,189
its kinda sad that it took them 8 years to figure out stronger basketball players are a good thing.

Ive been having flashbacks from the boxing coaches of the 70s telling us lifting would make us "muscle bound"...
I don’t see it as sad. I see it as getting frustrated with the big ten and giving up to save his job. The style of play fucking sucks, there is no way around it. I don’t think bringing a wide open system with leaner players was a bad move at all. It’s the way Basketball is supposed to be played.
There's plenty of teams with stronger players than Iowa that play a wide-open style. Being strong doesn't preclude you from playing any style of basketball
 

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Joined
Feb 11, 2010
Messages
56,750
Reaction score
-21,496
its kinda sad that it took them 8 years to figure out stronger basketball players are a good thing.

Ive been having flashbacks from the boxing coaches of the 70s telling us lifting would make us "muscle bound"...
I don’t see it as sad. I see it as getting frustrated with the big ten and giving up to save his job. The style of play fucking sucks, there is no way around it. I don’t think bringing a wide open system with leaner players was a bad move at all. It’s the way Basketball is supposed to be played.
LOL
 
Joined
Jan 4, 2014
Messages
3,542
Reaction score
-1,775
its kinda sad that it took them 8 years to figure out stronger basketball players are a good thing.

Ive been having flashbacks from the boxing coaches of the 70s telling us lifting would make us "muscle bound"...
I don’t see it as sad. I see it as getting frustrated with the big ten and giving up to save his job. The style of play fucking sucks, there is no way around it. I don’t think bringing a wide open system with leaner players was a bad move at all. It’s the way Basketball is supposed to be played.
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,235
Reaction score
1,536
Iowa was the highest tempo team in the league, but only 71st nationally. Only two big ten teams were close- the rest of the conference ranked from 214 down to 347.

It’s fucking Lick ball.
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,235
Reaction score
1,536
Iowa was the highest tempo team in the league, but only 71st nationally. Only two big ten teams were close- the rest of the conference ranked from 214 down to 347.

It’s fucking Lick ball.
You have to be trolling.
You realize that 90% of this board bitches about physical play in the conference most of the year correct?
 

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
22,602
Reaction score
4,432
So that's your argument, the teams that play that style do so because they have to, as they've gotten too strong to play any other way.
 

champion_thedrinker

L. Wade Jr.
Joined
Jan 1, 2015
Messages
5,928
Reaction score
-2,105
Iowa was the highest tempo team in the league, but only 71st nationally. Only two big ten teams were close- the rest of the conference ranked from 214 down to 347.

It’s fucking Lick ball.
The Criminal has been gone for quite a while now. This conversation is now about your preference for lean young college basketball men. Carry on.
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,235
Reaction score
1,536
I just posted this on TOS as well. I saw a blurb on Twitter a couple weeks ago about both of them being involved with the Marist job as well.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,261
Reaction score
27,903
Looks like ol' Fran may finally be pushing him to move on.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,261
Reaction score
27,903
I think it is another year off and not exactly an equal comparison, but maybe Tyler Cook can have a OG Anunoby like development.

He wasn't exactly a shooter or anything more than an extreme athlete in college, but he has transformed himself in Toronto. He is hitting threes, playing well inside and the mid-range while defending and giving the #1 seed in the East their first game 1 win in a long time.

Cook is similar size and athleticism. The obvious is the defense needs to be there and the shooting needs to improve.
 

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Joined
Jan 9, 2015
Messages
2,382
Reaction score
832
I think it is another year off and not exactly an equal comparison, but maybe Tyler Cook can have a OG Anunoby like development.

He wasn't exactly a shooter or anything more than an extreme athlete in college, but he has transformed himself in Toronto. He is hitting threes, playing well inside and the mid-range while defending and giving the #1 seed in the East their first game 1 win in a long time.

Cook is similar size and athleticism. The obvious is the defense needs to be there and the shooting needs to improve.
I think we all hope Cook turns himself into a guy that prides himself on defense and hustle. I would be fine with him never developing anything additional offensively if he turned himself into an above average defender. That would be quite the transformation though.
 

Mo T

Carnie Profiler
Joined
Oct 22, 2007
Messages
40,726
Reaction score
-6,030
I think we all hope Cook turns himself into a guy that prides himself on defense and hustle.
More hustle? I'm sure the NBA draft experts have told him his key to success in the NBA is more hustle.
 

TH1974

Loves China
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
79,155
Reaction score
-11,999

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Joined
Jun 6, 2013
Messages
7,690
Reaction score
-6,599
And speaking of Lick ball, Lick my fucking balls
Former Iowa men’s basketball coach Todd The Criminal is back in NCAA Division I coaching.

Evansville finalized its new coaching staff Friday by naming The Criminal and Matthew Graves as assistants under new head coach Walter McCarty.
http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/hawkeyes/iowa-mens-basketball/todd-The Criminal-hired-by-evansville-as-assistant-coach-20180414
Walter McCarty appears to be incompetent.
 

TH1974

Loves China
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
79,155
Reaction score
-11,999
And speaking of Lick ball, Lick my fucking balls
Former Iowa men’s basketball coach Todd The Criminal is back in NCAA Division I coaching.

Evansville finalized its new coaching staff Friday by naming The Criminal and Matthew Graves as assistants under new head coach Walter McCarty.
http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/hawkeyes/iowa-mens-basketball/todd-The Criminal-hired-by-evansville-as-assistant-coach-20180414
Walter McCarty appears to be incompetent.
Yep...

“The opportunity to have someone with the experience of Todd The Criminal next to me in my first season as a head coach is very exciting,” said McCarty, who was most recently an assistant coach with the Celtics for five years. “With all of the experience he has had as a head coach, he will be invaluable to myself and our team. He has a great basketball mind and is a wonderful teacher of the game.”
 

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Joined
Jan 9, 2015
Messages
2,382
Reaction score
832
I think we all hope Cook turns himself into a guy that prides himself on defense and hustle.
More hustle? I'm sure the NBA draft experts have told him his key to success in the NBA is more hustle.
I'm confused by this post but when a guy can't separate himself with length, athleticism or skill you better bring something else to the table. Effort, rebounding and defense are absolutely things NBA teams looks for when your going to be a late second rounder or undrafted.

Cook is below average in all of those areas so it makes it real tough for an NBA team to take a flyer on an undersized PF that also needs to develop his outside game offensively.
 
Joined
Aug 26, 2010
Messages
3,806
Reaction score
-1,404
Yep...

“The opportunity to have someone with the experience of Todd The Criminal next to me in my first season as a head coach is very exciting,” said McCarty, who was most recently an assistant coach with the Celtics for five years. “With all of the experience he has had as a head coach, he will be invaluable to myself and our team. He has a great basketball mind and is a wonderful teacher of the game.”
Yeah, like teaching him 40 hour work weeks.
 

Tugboat

Berntard
Joined
Aug 6, 2014
Messages
8,909
Reaction score
-8,206
The consensus amongst the Iowa reporters/web guys is that Cook is gone regardless of NBA evaluations.
 
Top