**2018 Iowa Basketball Offseason Thread**

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Joined
Oct 22, 2007
Messages
16,934
Reaction score
6,517
I never said he couldn’t be a D1 football player. I said I don’t want to move Heaven and Earth to get him on the squad.
Your posts from the last page imply you don't really think that.....

I disagree. From what we’ve seen of him on the court he isn’t fast, cannot catch, and is clumsy.
I don’t want him on the Iowa Football team, because I don’t think he would be any good period. But I’ve said that time and time again.
At WR at Iowa.
 

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,651
Reaction score
-14,426

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,301
Reaction score
27,963
Ok, now is the time you can shut the fuck up about this. Everyone has seen your dumb opinion along with Dochterman, so no more need for you to parse it 50 more times.

Coming from me, this should tell you something.
 

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,651
Reaction score
-14,426
Ok, now is the time you can shut the fuck up about this. Everyone has seen your dumb opinion along with Dochterman, so no more need for you to parse it 50 more times.

Coming from me, this should tell you something.
Doug, you just brought it back up just before this while misquoting me. So once again, don’t act like you’re above a pissing match.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,301
Reaction score
27,963
Ok, now is the time you can shut the fuck up about this. Everyone has seen your dumb opinion along with Dochterman, so no more need for you to parse it 50 more times.

Coming from me, this should tell you something.
Doug, you just brought it back up just before this while misquoting me. So once again, don’t act like you’re above a pissing match.
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
If there is a scholarship available I don’t have any problem with him giving it a try. I just don’t want to move Heaven and Earth to get him on the squad.
One walk on was legitimately good last year. I personally think ISM is as talented as any WR we have had in a while. Smith is a physical freak the likes of which we don’t see at Iowa. I can’t recall if Devonte Young transferred or not, but like him. Max Cooper, too. Then the incoming freshmen Samson Evans, Calvin Lockett, and especially Tyrone Tracy, Jr. I think we’re pretty good at WR right now personally.

And stop acting like the two deeps mean shit.
Samson Evans has played less WR than Wagner has. And in terms of being a "physical specimen" Wagner is basically Smith but taller.

Edit: I somehow skipped over that you're including fucking Devonte Young as an example of all the potential we have at WR lol
How is citing the potential Devonte Young any more laugh worthy than being high on Ahmad Wagner?

I know one is 6’0” and one is 6’7”. But when it all comes down to it, we know less about Wagner than Young.
Young has been on the roster for three years, on a team with arguably the worst WR corps in the entire P5 and has played like 2 snaps. He has been passed up by multiple walk ons and true freshmen. If he was any good he would have played by now.
 

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,651
Reaction score
-14,426
I know people had discussed the two players from Indian Hills that Fran went to watch.

Antonio Williams 14.6 PPG (61st ranked JUCO) shot 29% from 3 on 62 attempts on the season and 66.7% from the FT line (77% in conference play). He averaged 1.2 steals per game. Offers from UMKC, Kent State, Green Bay, and Northern Arizona.

UIC, Southern Illinois, and Illinois State have expressed interest with no offer.

Shane Gatling 16.6 PPG (23rd ranked JUCO) shot 39% from 3 on 262 attempts and 85% from the line. Averaged around a steal a game.

Neither had very good assist numbers (granted there aren't many JUCO players that do).

Gatling seems to be the better player/prospect by far and away and I'd rather have him, but neither seem all that appealing.

Edit: After watching some videos, I think we'd all be super bummed if Iowa gave a scholarship to either of these kids.
 
Last edited:

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Joined
Feb 11, 2010
Messages
56,776
Reaction score
-21,419
I've shared this story before but when I was a junior, I played with a doofus who was 6'7" 245 lbs. or so. He wasn't getting "the run" he thought he deserved so he transferred over to Hawaii, gained probably another 20 lbs. and walked on the football team. He barely played even special teams before getting hurt (he was always "injured"). Anyways, somehow this goofball knew someone who knew someone and got a shot to be on the New York Giants practice squad and hung around on it for a couple of years.

Anything is possible and Ahmad is 3X the athlete that dude was. Georges fucking Niang got drafted for Christ sake.
 

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,651
Reaction score
-14,426
I've shared this story before but when I was a junior, I played with a doofus who was 6'7" 245 lbs. or so. He wasn't getting "the run" he thought he deserved so he transferred over to Hawaii, gained probably another 20 lbs. and walked on the football team. He barely played even special teams before getting hurt (he was always "injured"). Anyways, somehow this goofball knew someone who knew someone and got a shot to be on the New York Giants practice squad and hung around on it for a couple of years.

Anything is possible and Ahmad is 3X the athlete that dude was. Georges fucking Niang got drafted for Christ sake.
There is that guy on the Seahawks OL (George Fant WKU Bball alum) who is always getting penalized because he doesn't know the rules.
 

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Joined
Oct 17, 2011
Messages
8,952
Reaction score
-4,697
Give this guy short yardage situations with Hockensen, Fant, Wagner (if he works out) and Brandon Smith as receiving options and Toren Young running behind an OL anchored by Wirfs and Jackson and not even GDGD could fuck it up:

 

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Joined
Apr 21, 2011
Messages
4,189
Reaction score
5,634
Wagner having a conference call with reporters. Finishing up now or already has.

 
Joined
Nov 25, 2007
Messages
9,742
Reaction score
-2,531
I think it's time to move the Wagner talk over to the football thread now that Brian is recruiting him.
 

Creed

Wears Adult-Sized Underoos
Joined
Sep 1, 2010
Messages
11,243
Reaction score
8,061
I assume his scholarship is honored through the semester. Why not have him at least participate in spring practice even with the “last team” offense, if that. Let him do drills, run routes, etc.

If he does well enough, keep him working out with the players and learning over the summer and ideally get him a scholarship. Spring practice can and should be a freebie, right?
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,301
Reaction score
27,963
I assume his scholarship is honored through the semester. Why not have him at least participate in spring practice even with the “last team” offense, if that. Let him do drills, run routes, etc.

If he does well enough, keep him working out with the players and learning over the summer and ideally get him a scholarship. Spring practice can and should be a freebie, right?
Who knows, but maybe a potential issue with his scholarship or eligibility if he participates now.
 

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,651
Reaction score
-14,426
I assume his scholarship is honored through the semester. Why not have him at least participate in spring practice even with the “last team” offense, if that. Let him do drills, run routes, etc.

If he does well enough, keep him working out with the players and learning over the summer and ideally get him a scholarship. Spring practice can and should be a freebie, right?
Who knows, but maybe a potential issue with his scholarship or eligibility if he participates now.
Would that even matter? For instance when Kyle McCann was on the basketball roster, wasn't he just being treated like a "walk-on" in terms of the scholarship?
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,301
Reaction score
27,963
I assume his scholarship is honored through the semester. Why not have him at least participate in spring practice even with the “last team” offense, if that. Let him do drills, run routes, etc.

If he does well enough, keep him working out with the players and learning over the summer and ideally get him a scholarship. Spring practice can and should be a freebie, right?
Who knows, but maybe a potential issue with his scholarship or eligibility if he participates now.
Would that even matter? For instance when Kyle McCann was on the basketball roster, wasn't he just being treated like a "walk-on" in terms of the scholarship?
Take a second to think about the potential difference.
 

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,651
Reaction score
-14,426
Who knows, but maybe a potential issue with his scholarship or eligibility if he participates now.
Would that even matter? For instance when Kyle McCann was on the basketball roster, wasn't he just being treated like a "walk-on" in terms of the scholarship?
Take a second to think about the potential difference.
I know what you're saying is the difference, but I don't see how that makes any sense. He has two scholarship years left if he plays football at Iowa. His academics are being covered by the scholarship he receives for basketball for the remainder of the year, so I don't see how "eligibility" can play into it. If some senior in HS wants to graduate and enroll in January, it doesn't count against their eligibility. It wouldn't make any sense to me.

Also, using Stevie Johnson as an example. He played in the 2000 Spring Game after playing in the 2000 NCAA Tournament a few weeks before that. Granted, the rules could have changed since then.
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
It was Beutjer but also if you play football the scholarship counts toward football

If you play basketball and another sport that isn't football, then it counts toward basketball.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,301
Reaction score
27,963
It was Beutjer but also if you play football the scholarship counts toward football
That is what I was getting at. Not sure of the rules, but maybe there is an issue if he is released from basketball and goes to football in the spring then his scholarship must count against football instead. There currently are no scholarships available, so that could be the issue.
 

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,651
Reaction score
-14,426
It was Beutjer but also if you play football the scholarship counts toward football

If you play basketball and another sport that isn't football, then it counts toward basketball.
It was both.
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
It was Beutjer but also if you play football the scholarship counts toward football

If you play basketball and another sport that isn't football, then it counts toward basketball.
It was both.
I don't remember McCann on the basketball team and sports reference doesn't have him on an Iowa roster at any point but ok

I vividly remember Beutjer on the basketball team because he was so bad when he got to play at the end of blowouts
 

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,651
Reaction score
-14,426
It was Beutjer but also if you play football the scholarship counts toward football

If you play basketball and another sport that isn't football, then it counts toward basketball.
It was both.
I don't remember McCann on the basketball team and sports reference doesn't have him on an Iowa roster at any point but ok

I vividly remember Beutjer on the basketball team because he was so bad when he got to play at the end of blowouts
I was just wondering if I was mis-remembering him being on the basketball team because I was sure of it, and wasn't mistaking him for Beutjer. McCann was a Creston guy, right? So maybe @brantshawks can shed some light?

Edit: Some guy on CF said
If you want to slide down to 3A, I'd have to say Kyle McCann and Ben Gerleman from Creston. Do not forget Adam Haluska from Carroll. He had some major hops. As for Kyle and Ben, Kyle went on to play quarterback and basketball for Iowa. Hayden eventually told Kyle it's time to make a decision. Kyle chose the football team.
 
Last edited:

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
34,701
Reaction score
2,894
It was both.
I don't remember McCann on the basketball team and sports reference doesn't have him on an Iowa roster at any point but ok

I vividly remember Beutjer on the basketball team because he was so bad when he got to play at the end of blowouts
I was just wondering if I was mis-remembering him being on the basketball team because I was sure of it, and wasn't mistaking him for Beutjer. McCann was a Creston guy, right? So maybe @brantshawks can shed some light?
This Creston hoops retrospective indicates he was an invited walk-on (i.e., the gray team) for one season under Dr. Tom. Would have been 97-98.

http://www.crestonnews.com/2016/12/29/hoops-homage/aipj86r/
 
Joined
Mar 8, 2010
Messages
10,599
Reaction score
-530
It was both.
I don't remember McCann on the basketball team and sports reference doesn't have him on an Iowa roster at any point but ok

I vividly remember Beutjer on the basketball team because he was so bad when he got to play at the end of blowouts
I was just wondering if I was mis-remembering him being on the basketball team because I was sure of it, and wasn't mistaking him for Beutjer. McCann was a Creston guy, right? So maybe @brantshawks can shed some light?

Edit: Some guy on CF said
If you want to slide down to 3A, I'd have to say Kyle McCann and Ben Gerleman from Creston. Do not forget Adam Haluska from Carroll. He had some major hops. As for Kyle and Ben, Kyle went on to play quarterback and basketball for Iowa. Hayden eventually told Kyle it's time to make a decision. Kyle chose the football team.
http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/gameday-football/2014/10/10/double-duty/17055581/

At least five other former Hawkeyes competed in both football and basketball, the most recent being quarterback Jon Beutjer, who lettered in football in 2000 before transferring to Illinois.
I feel like there was another big guy that was on both teams (but never really played on either).
 

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,651
Reaction score
-14,426
I don't remember McCann on the basketball team and sports reference doesn't have him on an Iowa roster at any point but ok

I vividly remember Beutjer on the basketball team because he was so bad when he got to play at the end of blowouts
I was just wondering if I was mis-remembering him being on the basketball team because I was sure of it, and wasn't mistaking him for Beutjer. McCann was a Creston guy, right? So maybe @brantshawks can shed some light?

Edit: Some guy on CF said
If you want to slide down to 3A, I'd have to say Kyle McCann and Ben Gerleman from Creston. Do not forget Adam Haluska from Carroll. He had some major hops. As for Kyle and Ben, Kyle went on to play quarterback and basketball for Iowa. Hayden eventually told Kyle it's time to make a decision. Kyle chose the football team.
http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/gameday-football/2014/10/10/double-duty/17055581/

At least five other former Hawkeyes competed in both football and basketball, the most recent being quarterback Jon Beutjer, who lettered in football in 2000 before transferring to Illinois.
I feel like there was another big guy that was on both teams (but never really played on either).
I'll take the Creston article over the Pharty one. I'm going to check the media guide for a pic of that team and then we'll know for sure!!!!!1
 
Joined
Mar 8, 2010
Messages
10,599
Reaction score
-530
I was just wondering if I was mis-remembering him being on the basketball team because I was sure of it, and wasn't mistaking him for Beutjer. McCann was a Creston guy, right? So maybe @brantshawks can shed some light?

Edit: Some guy on CF said
http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/gameday-football/2014/10/10/double-duty/17055581/

At least five other former Hawkeyes competed in both football and basketball, the most recent being quarterback Jon Beutjer, who lettered in football in 2000 before transferring to Illinois.
I feel like there was another big guy that was on both teams (but never really played on either).
I'll take the Creston article over the Pharty one. I'm going to check the media guide for a pic of that team and then we'll know for sure.
Yeah, Pharty didn't mention Dollmeyer, so maybe he was only listing guys that actually played in both sports.
 

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,651
Reaction score
-14,426
http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/gameday-football/2014/10/10/double-duty/17055581/

I feel like there was another big guy that was on both teams (but never really played on either).
I'll take the Creston article over the Pharty one. I'm going to check the media guide for a pic of that team and then we'll know for sure.
Yeah, Phart didn't mention Dollmeyer, so maybe he was only listing guys that actually played in both sports.
That's what I was thinking, too. Would explain the Basketball Reference page not having him.
 

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
28,027
Reaction score
10,829
It was Beutjer but also if you play football the scholarship counts toward football
That is what I was getting at. Not sure of the rules, but maybe there is an issue if he is released from basketball and goes to football in the spring then his scholarship must count against football instead. There currently are no scholarships available, so that could be the issue.
Football is currently at 87 scholarships but that is counting all the recruited players. The majority of the seniors plus Jackson and Wiegers graduates in December so they should be well below 85 at the moment.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,301
Reaction score
27,963
It was Beutjer but also if you play football the scholarship counts toward football
That is what I was getting at. Not sure of the rules, but maybe there is an issue if he is released from basketball and goes to football in the spring then his scholarship must count against football instead. There currently are no scholarships available, so that could be the issue.
Football is currently at 87 scholarships but that is counting all the recruited players. The majority of the seniors plus Jackson and Wiegers graduates in December so they should be well below 85 at the moment.
If that is the case, then I guess it points more to the fact that Iowa likely wants him to walk on at this point or isn't nearly ready to offer him a scholarship. They also likely have other players that are current walk-ons that they might have slotted for them.

Either way, the best case scenario is that he gets himself into football shape over the next 2 months and they get a clean look at him heading into summer and can determine if he is worth keeping around. If not, he takes the best offer he can get and we can stop talking about this.
 

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
28,027
Reaction score
10,829
I would say 90% of Iowa fans want to give him a shot on the team. I would also say every one of those people understands Kirks philosophy’s. There are probably a handful of walk ons that Kirk has thought about giving a scholarship to and doesn’t want to upset anyone in the lockerroom who guys feel have earned a scholarship only to take a chance on someone that hasn’t played the sport in 3 years.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,301
Reaction score
27,963
I would say 90% of Iowa fans want to give him a shot on the team. I would also say every one of those people understands Kirks philosophy’s. There are probably a handful of walk ons that Kirk has thought about giving a scholarship to and doesn’t want to upset anyone in the lockerroom who guys feel have earned a scholarship only to take a chance on someone that hasn’t played the sport in 3 years.
Agreed, and I think right after spring football when they sit down with the current scholarship players and clean house on borderline guys and know how many scholarships they have for the current walkons it will sort itself out quickly.
 

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
28,027
Reaction score
10,829
I gotta be honest, after watching that video I did get a little excited thinking about Stanley throwing to Wagner, Smith, Smith-Marsette Fant and Hockenson with Young and Kelly-Marting in the backfield along with Wirfs and Jackson at tackle.

And by little excited I mean I got a boner.
 
Joined
Nov 25, 2007
Messages
9,742
Reaction score
-2,531
Yeah... That video makes me feel a lot better about him as a WR. Definitely worth getting him out there this spring and see how it goes.
 

brantshawks

Nebrantska Fan
Joined
Aug 30, 2007
Messages
84,281
Reaction score
14,435
Huh. A Ben Gerleman reference on Halo, never thought I'd see that.
 

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
15,041
Reaction score
-3,387
Is he legit 6'7"...or basketball roster inflated, but really more like 6'5"? That 2" seems to make a real difference as not many WR have made the NFL at 6'7" but 6'5" is still not common, but isn't that unusual.
 
Joined
Feb 2, 2018
Messages
576
Reaction score
-852
WR would be his best option because it's a bit easier to step into that position. But he is not a college WR, and he isn't playing TE at Iowa.
I disagree. I honestly think his best option would be on defense. From what we’ve seen of him on the court he isn’t fast, cannot catch, and is clumsy. I think putting on some weight and being used on the DL as a edge rusher would be his best bet.
Isn't fast? Clumsy? Good grief.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,301
Reaction score
27,963
Is he legit 6'7"...or basketball roster inflated, but really more like 6'5"? That 2" seems to make a real difference as not many WR have made the NFL at 6'7" but 6'5" is still not common, but isn't that unusual.
More like a legit 6'6'' without shoes would be my guess.
 
Top