**2018 Iowa Basketball Offseason Thread**

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,299
Reaction score
27,953
Personally I think he would be better off going Europe as I don't see an NBA future - undersized PFs aren't in high demand. But I could be wrong. He could always try G league for awhile and then jump to Europe later.
That ultimately might be correct, but in his eyes it is NBA or bust for the next 4-5 year minimum.
Is that what he told you?
Nah, but it was the same people that told you bohannon was going to leave so they have to be right!
 

26.2

Vacations at the Wisconsin Dells
Joined
Aug 2, 2017
Messages
18,386
Reaction score
5,987
Joined
Mar 8, 2010
Messages
10,599
Reaction score
-530
Is that what he told you?
Nah, but it was the same people that told you bohannon was going to leave so they have to be right!
I never said he was going to leave. I said he toyed with the idea. There's a difference. The same person told me long ago about Wagner's and Cook's plans too.
Is there an honor roll sticker from the Tom Kakert Reporting school next to the 26.2 sticker?
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,265
Reaction score
1,533
former hoops player telling our crew that the black players on the team are not fans of Fran. Said the word is getting out on the recruiting trail.
This is bullshit, I’ve posted about this several times over the past few months. It’s not new at all.

I’ll tell you exactly where it started at this point- Dale Jones, who was close to Williams. Jones obviously got pushed out, but that was more due to health issues than anything. Iowa gave him a total break when they offered him anyways. Then he got butthurt when Williams left. Both players seem to not realize that they suck at basketball and that it’s somehow related to race. Which is total BS. Part of it has to do with Connor, but of course the easy way to avoid any problems was to not be a far worse player than Connor.

Horner brought Jones to UND which is how some of the bullshit is making its way back to DSM.
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,265
Reaction score
1,533
I don’t think Cook has any desire to be in school. I think he has supportive parents who are ok with him trying to make this work now. I think he’s a good kid and while it hurts the basketball team I cheer for I can’t fault for doing anything with support around him. I wish him well, if he makes it then it only looks good for the program. I don’t think this staff is getting NEARLY enough credit for how cook has developed offensively.
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,265
Reaction score
1,533
Also, I don’t doubt at all that @nolookpass has heard that from people, just be aware that it’s old news and coming from butthurt former players who happen to be black.
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
I think forcing kids out is pretty gross but they also just did it to Ellingson so at least it's not ONLY the black kids.
 

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
22,605
Reaction score
4,440
I think forcing kids out is pretty gross but they also just did it to Ellingson so at least it's not ONLY the black kids.
I differentiate kids that were given the chance to graduate. Brady was here for four years, and Jones two as a JUCO.
 
Last edited:

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
45,925
Reaction score
3,178
I don’t think Cook has any desire to be in school. I think he has supportive parents who are ok with him trying to make this work now. I think he’s a good kid and while it hurts the basketball team I cheer for I can’t fault for doing anything with support around him. I wish him well, if he makes it then it only looks good for the program. I don’t think this staff is getting NEARLY enough credit for how cook has developed offensively.
Agreed. Think about how many entry passes he dropped his freshman year and how his only post move was to spin baseline and get his shit stuffed. He was a lot better this year.

I personally think if he had the same type of improvement next year he’d be ready.
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
I think forcing kids out is pretty gross but they also just did it to Ellingson so at least it's not ONLY the black kids.
A differentiate kids that were given the chance to graduate. Brady was here for four years, and Jones two as a JUCO.
Sure but that's definitely not how the scholarship is sold to them when they get recruited. And in Brady's case he didn't seem to consider himself a senior even as Fran kept insisting he actually was one. I'm not super angry about it or anything but it still seems kinda shitty and I can see why a kid would feel betrayed
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,265
Reaction score
1,533
I think forcing kids out is pretty gross but they also just did it to Ellingson so at least it's not ONLY the black kids.
They had to force Jones out. You don’t plan on a Juco getting a sixth year and it was likely discussed with him ahead of time given that we had already targeted Nunge early.
 

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
74,290
Reaction score
17,814
The only reason I think forcing kids out is crappy is that they're forced to sit out a year (non grad transfers) when they choose to leave. But it happens everywhere, Fran is hardly alone. If anything, he's better at keeping non-productive players than a lot of other coaches.
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,265
Reaction score
1,533
You can’t even “force” kids out anymore with the guaranteed four year scholarships. All you can do is not play them.
 

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
28,026
Reaction score
10,825
The only guy I see that was maybe forced out was Dickerson. Everyone else had their scholarship for the required 4 years honored.
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,265
Reaction score
1,533
The only guy I see that was maybe forced out was Dickerson. Everyone else had their scholarship for the required 4 years honored.
You think the kid who has attended 11 schools in ten years and is still friends with the McCafferys was forced out?
 

HiawathaHawk

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Sep 21, 2010
Messages
14,596
Reaction score
1,860
I don’t think Cook has any desire to be in school. I think he has supportive parents who are ok with him trying to make this work now. I think he’s a good kid and while it hurts the basketball team I cheer for I can’t fault for doing anything with support around him. I wish him well, if he makes it then it only looks good for the program. I don’t think this staff is getting NEARLY enough credit for how cook has developed offensively.
Agreed. Think about how many entry passes he dropped his freshman year and how his only post move was to spin baseline and get his shit stuffed. He was a lot better this year.

I personally think if he had the same type of improvement next year he’d be ready.
Yep, he made substantial improvement offensively from his freshman to sophomore years. If his improvement remained linear (always dicey), I think he can actually be in the mix legitimately next year. Counter argument from him could be that if he only focuses on basketball next year in the G League he can do the same, but as @douglasbader pointed out with Uthoff, that carries more risk. It's a lot easier to make the NBA through the front door.
 

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Nov 20, 2017
Messages
1,458
Reaction score
1,880
I don’t think Cook has any desire to be in school. I think he has supportive parents who are ok with him trying to make this work now. I think he’s a good kid and while it hurts the basketball team I cheer for I can’t fault for doing anything with support around him. I wish him well, if he makes it then it only looks good for the program. I don’t think this staff is getting NEARLY enough credit for how cook has developed offensively.
Agreed. Think about how many entry passes he dropped his freshman year and how his only post move was to spin baseline and get his shit stuffed. He was a lot better this year.

I personally think if he had the same type of improvement next year he’d be ready.
Yep, he made substantial improvement offensively from his freshman to sophomore years. If his improvement remained linear (always dicey), I think he can actually be in the mix legitimately next year. Counter argument from him could be that if he only focuses on basketball next year in the G League he can do the same, but as @douglasbader pointed out with Uthoff, that carries more risk. It's a lot easier to make the NBA through the front door.
I could be way off, but his skillset doesn't suggest future NBA player but who knows?

A 6'8 PF with very little outside ability who has trouble defensively doesn't seem like it projects to the NBA at this time. Of course, as you mention, he could develop for a year or two in the G-league.

Does anyone know how often G-League players end up sticking in the pros?
 

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Joined
Jun 6, 2013
Messages
7,690
Reaction score
-6,599
It's all about defense with Cook. No one is going to take a flier on an undersized 4 if he isn't a stopper.
 

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Joined
Aug 4, 2008
Messages
37,415
Reaction score
2,954
Agreed. Think about how many entry passes he dropped his freshman year and how his only post move was to spin baseline and get his shit stuffed. He was a lot better this year.

I personally think if he had the same type of improvement next year he’d be ready.
Yep, he made substantial improvement offensively from his freshman to sophomore years. If his improvement remained linear (always dicey), I think he can actually be in the mix legitimately next year. Counter argument from him could be that if he only focuses on basketball next year in the G League he can do the same, but as @douglasbader pointed out with Uthoff, that carries more risk. It's a lot easier to make the NBA through the front door.
I could be way off, but his skillset doesn't suggest future NBA player but who knows?

A 6'8 PF with very little outside ability who has trouble defensively doesn't seem like it projects to the NBA at this time. Of course, as you mention, he could develop for a year or two in the G-league.

Does anyone know how often G-League players end up sticking in the pros?
http://gleague.nba.com/callups/

There's the list from this year to give you an idea. 57 call-ups so far, a lot of 10-days and a lot of two ways.

Unless I'm missing someone, the only one to actually sign a multi-year contract has been Kyle Collinsworth with the Mavs. Last year there were 51 call-ups in the entire season.

As the link says, Danny Green and Hassan Whiteside are about as successful as it gets (which is pretty great for a D-league guy, obviously)
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,299
Reaction score
27,953
There are a lot of guys who have entered the process this year, and a lot of borderline or worse guys hiring agents.
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
Jackson is getting drafted before almost everyone
 

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Nov 20, 2017
Messages
1,458
Reaction score
1,880
Yep, he made substantial improvement offensively from his freshman to sophomore years. If his improvement remained linear (always dicey), I think he can actually be in the mix legitimately next year. Counter argument from him could be that if he only focuses on basketball next year in the G League he can do the same, but as @douglasbader pointed out with Uthoff, that carries more risk. It's a lot easier to make the NBA through the front door.
I could be way off, but his skillset doesn't suggest future NBA player but who knows?

A 6'8 PF with very little outside ability who has trouble defensively doesn't seem like it projects to the NBA at this time. Of course, as you mention, he could develop for a year or two in the G-league.

Does anyone know how often G-League players end up sticking in the pros?
http://gleague.nba.com/callups/

There's the list from this year to give you an idea. 57 call-ups so far, a lot of 10-days and a lot of two ways.

Unless I'm missing someone, the only one to actually sign a multi-year contract has been Kyle Collinsworth with the Mavs. Last year there were 51 call-ups in the entire season.

As the link says, Danny Green and Hassan Whiteside are about as successful as it gets (which is pretty great for a D-league guy, obviously)
Thanks.

I'm still amazed Uthoff didn't get called up this year. He was the one Hawk so far in the Fran era that I thought really had an NBA skillset.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,299
Reaction score
27,953
I could be way off, but his skillset doesn't suggest future NBA player but who knows?

A 6'8 PF with very little outside ability who has trouble defensively doesn't seem like it projects to the NBA at this time. Of course, as you mention, he could develop for a year or two in the G-league.

Does anyone know how often G-League players end up sticking in the pros?
http://gleague.nba.com/callups/

There's the list from this year to give you an idea. 57 call-ups so far, a lot of 10-days and a lot of two ways.

Unless I'm missing someone, the only one to actually sign a multi-year contract has been Kyle Collinsworth with the Mavs. Last year there were 51 call-ups in the entire season.

As the link says, Danny Green and Hassan Whiteside are about as successful as it gets (which is pretty great for a D-league guy, obviously)
Thanks.

I'm still amazed Uthoff didn't get called up this year. He was the one Hawk so far in the Fran era that I thought really had an NBA skillset.
I think there is a possibility that Indiana has promised him something to not sign a 10 day with another team. He nearly made the roster this year and has improved measurably over last year when he get a call up.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,299
Reaction score
27,953

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,265
Reaction score
1,533
In other words, someone has not been going to class and will not be eligible next year.
 

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
15,041
Reaction score
-3,387
Full statement from family and Fran
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,299
Reaction score
27,953
Honestly, as long as he has been going to class and will be eligible next year, this is fantastic news.

They are going to give him feedback that will tell him to stop being a dumbfuck and either shoot threes or go to the rim. Get to the foul line and play defense.
 
Joined
Mar 31, 2013
Messages
1,712
Reaction score
-1,344
L Wade, I say this with all due respect. You are a fucking retard.
Maybe, but I am still far ahead of the guy that just declared for the draft
How does it hurt? He gets evaluated. He is told he isn’t good enough or not ready. They tell him what he sucks at. Hopefully, he takes it to heart and works on it. That benefits him and the Iowa basketball team.
 
Top