**2018 Iowa Basketball Offseason Thread**

Debit One

Chad
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
33,407
Reaction score
23,034
That logjam at PF/C and Fran’s difficulty managing a rotation makes me feel that Iowa would be better off with one of Pemsl/Kreiner transferring out.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,835
That logjam at PF/C and Fran’s difficulty managing a rotation makes me feel that Iowa would be better off with one of Pemsl/Kreiner transferring out.
I would choose Pemsl based on his inability to shoot, but he is also really damn effective sometimes.

It likely would never happen, but the possibility has been floated that Pemsl could redshirt knowing Cook is leaving after this year. Doesn't make any sense to me as there is still no guarantee he would start or anything if he did that as Nunge is a much more ideal PF fit as a starter.
 

Bovert

Fat ISU Fan
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
14,388
Reaction score
-4,214
If he is playing out of his mind again, then sure, 20+ minutes is fine. Nobody is going to complain. This year will tell if that season was the anomaly or if the first and third were more accurate.

Hopefully it was his injury and playing out of position.
Last year was the anamoly. His first season was only a little bit worse per minute than 16-17 but they obviously needed fewer minutes with Uthoff playing the same combo forward role at an all American level. Unless you think there's another Uthoff on this team I don't think his minutes should be cut way back to freshman levels again unless he's shooting like shit.
I think there is a potential collective Uthoff effect on his minutes (hopefully) from player addition and improvement. It all has a ripple effect. I hate to do a minutes distribution and piss off @FrodoTBaggin and multiple others, but here we go....

Connor takes away nearly all the minutes at PG that Dailey got. Moss hopefully figured things out and can stay on the floor at SG. Wieskamp is likely a starter and impact player and from his interview they see him almost exclusively on the wing. Dailey is improved and will need to get the back up minutes at SG and SF.

Because all of these things the minutes that were available at the PG / SG / SF positions the last 2 years are greatly reduced.

Now you look at the PF / C position and you have to figure out how to split up 80 minutes between Cook, Garza, Nunge, Pemsl, Kreiner and Baer. You know that Cook is getting 30 of those and Garza is getting 25 minutes. You have 25 minutes left for Pemsl, Baer and Kreiner.

Again, the danger for Iowa is Fran not knowing how to effectively split minutes up for everyone and too many players to keep happy. At least this year the players are going to likely be better instead of last year where Wagner and Ellingson were taking minutes.
That all makes sense except for Dailey needing to get the back up minutes at SG an SF. Why does he need to get those minutes? I think Baer ends up getting those minutes before Dailey. In fact, I could see Dailey getting pushed back out of the rotation altogether kinda like 2 years ago. I mean, he kinda really sucks
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,835
Last year was the anamoly. His first season was only a little bit worse per minute than 16-17 but they obviously needed fewer minutes with Uthoff playing the same combo forward role at an all American level. Unless you think there's another Uthoff on this team I don't think his minutes should be cut way back to freshman levels again unless he's shooting like shit.
I think there is a potential collective Uthoff effect on his minutes (hopefully) from player addition and improvement. It all has a ripple effect. I hate to do a minutes distribution and piss off @FrodoTBaggin and multiple others, but here we go....

Connor takes away nearly all the minutes at PG that Dailey got. Moss hopefully figured things out and can stay on the floor at SG. Wieskamp is likely a starter and impact player and from his interview they see him almost exclusively on the wing. Dailey is improved and will need to get the back up minutes at SG and SF.

Because all of these things the minutes that were available at the PG / SG / SF positions the last 2 years are greatly reduced.

Now you look at the PF / C position and you have to figure out how to split up 80 minutes between Cook, Garza, Nunge, Pemsl, Kreiner and Baer. You know that Cook is getting 30 of those and Garza is getting 25 minutes. You have 25 minutes left for Pemsl, Baer and Kreiner.

Again, the danger for Iowa is Fran not knowing how to effectively split minutes up for everyone and too many players to keep happy. At least this year the players are going to likely be better instead of last year where Wagner and Ellingson were taking minutes.
That all makes sense except for Dailey needing to get the back up minutes at SG an SF. Why does he need to get those minutes? I think Baer ends up getting those minutes before Dailey. In fact, I could see Dailey getting pushed back out of the rotation altogether kinda like 2 years ago. I mean, he kinda really sucks
Correct, but I saw a video of him working out hard!!

Baer fucking sucks at SG though.

Who knows, there will be injuries and surprises. 2 years ago we were talking about Christian Williams starting and Dale Jones playing minutes. Last year about Williams being a solid back up and Ellingson not being worthless.
 

foxhawks

Doesn't wash his butthole last
Joined
Apr 28, 2011
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
-17,987
I think there is a potential collective Uthoff effect on his minutes (hopefully) from player addition and improvement. It all has a ripple effect. I hate to do a minutes distribution and piss off @FrodoTBaggin and multiple others, but here we go....

Connor takes away nearly all the minutes at PG that Dailey got. Moss hopefully figured things out and can stay on the floor at SG. Wieskamp is likely a starter and impact player and from his interview they see him almost exclusively on the wing. Dailey is improved and will need to get the back up minutes at SG and SF.

Because all of these things the minutes that were available at the PG / SG / SF positions the last 2 years are greatly reduced.

Now you look at the PF / C position and you have to figure out how to split up 80 minutes between Cook, Garza, Nunge, Pemsl, Kreiner and Baer. You know that Cook is getting 30 of those and Garza is getting 25 minutes. You have 25 minutes left for Pemsl, Baer and Kreiner.

Again, the danger for Iowa is Fran not knowing how to effectively split minutes up for everyone and too many players to keep happy. At least this year the players are going to likely be better instead of last year where Wagner and Ellingson were taking minutes.
That all makes sense except for Dailey needing to get the back up minutes at SG an SF. Why does he need to get those minutes? I think Baer ends up getting those minutes before Dailey. In fact, I could see Dailey getting pushed back out of the rotation altogether kinda like 2 years ago. I mean, he kinda really sucks
Correct, but I saw a video of him working out hard!!

Baer fucking sucks at SG though.

Who knows, there will be injuries and surprises. 2 years ago we were talking about Christian Williams starting and Dale Jones playing minutes. Last year about Williams being a solid back up and Ellingson not being worthless.
Who the fuck, EXACTLY, said that shit?
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,835
That all makes sense except for Dailey needing to get the back up minutes at SG an SF. Why does he need to get those minutes? I think Baer ends up getting those minutes before Dailey. In fact, I could see Dailey getting pushed back out of the rotation altogether kinda like 2 years ago. I mean, he kinda really sucks
Correct, but I saw a video of him working out hard!!

Baer fucking sucks at SG though.

Who knows, there will be injuries and surprises. 2 years ago we were talking about Christian Williams starting and Dale Jones playing minutes. Last year about Williams being a solid back up and Ellingson not being worthless.
Who the fuck, EXACTLY, said that shit?
Your mom.

@AZmess dawg as well.
 

foxhawks

Doesn't wash his butthole last
Joined
Apr 28, 2011
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
-17,987
Correct, but I saw a video of him working out hard!!

Baer fucking sucks at SG though.

Who knows, there will be injuries and surprises. 2 years ago we were talking about Christian Williams starting and Dale Jones playing minutes. Last year about Williams being a solid back up and Ellingson not being worthless.
Who the fuck, EXACTLY, said that shit?
Your mom.

@AZmess dawg as well.
First time ever when “your mom” was probably accurate. I’m 99% sure she was rooting for Brady because he “looks like a nice boy”.
 

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Joined
Aug 13, 2014
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
-826
I actually think Dailey has some solid upside. He was perhaps our most willing defender and knocked down 3s
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
Baer shouldn't be playing SG but he's been fine at SF. I think he will and probably should get minutes there over Dailey, and I like Dailey.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,835
I actually think Dailey has some solid upside. He was perhaps our most willing defender and knocked down 3s
I would rather watch Dailey try to defend the wing than Baer.
Baer gets a few steals and blocks but hes the worst fundamental defender on the team.
Yeah, Baer is going to end up playing more than what most people want and Nolook will remind us every 2-3 games that he needs to get stronger and he gets lost on defense too much.
 

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Joined
Oct 16, 2017
Messages
29,363
Reaction score
30,288
I actually think Dailey has some solid upside. He was perhaps our most willing defender and knocked down 3s
I would rather watch Dailey try to defend the wing than Baer.
Baer gets a few steals and blocks but hes the worst fundamental defender on the team.
He is a more composed and fundamental offensive player, but I agree that he doesn’t know how to and/or physically can’t keep his ass down and keep someone in front of him.
 

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
92,226
Reaction score
-96,183
I would rather watch Dailey try to defend the wing than Baer.
Baer gets a few steals and blocks but hes the worst fundamental defender on the team.
Yeah, Baer is going to end up playing more than what most people want and Nolook will remind us every 2-3 games that he needs to get stronger and he gets lost on defense too much.
I know people repeating themselves is a pet peeve of yours, Mouse.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,835
Baer gets a few steals and blocks but hes the worst fundamental defender on the team.
Yeah, Baer is going to end up playing more than what most people want and Nolook will remind us every 2-3 games that he needs to get stronger and he gets lost on defense too much.
I know people repeating themselves is a pet peeve of yours, Mouse.
Not exactly about repeating, but that was fucking beautiful to see you post that a couple days after @HawkLax6 posted it.

Impressive.
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,129
Reaction score
1,552
Baer shouldn't be playing SG but he's been fine at SF. I think he will and probably should get minutes there over Dailey, and I like Dailey.
What??????? Baer is fucking horrible at anything other than sub PF
 

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Joined
May 1, 2016
Messages
49,587
Reaction score
35,016
Wieskamp is going to be Iowa’s best player in 2019-20. Guy is going to be an all American by the time he leaves
 

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Joined
Jan 9, 2015
Messages
2,382
Reaction score
832
Last year was the anamoly. His first season was only a little bit worse per minute than 16-17 but they obviously needed fewer minutes with Uthoff playing the same combo forward role at an all American level. Unless you think there's another Uthoff on this team I don't think his minutes should be cut way back to freshman levels again unless he's shooting like shit.
I think there is a potential collective Uthoff effect on his minutes (hopefully) from player addition and improvement. It all has a ripple effect. I hate to do a minutes distribution and piss off @FrodoTBaggin and multiple others, but here we go....

Connor takes away nearly all the minutes at PG that Dailey got. Moss hopefully figured things out and can stay on the floor at SG. Wieskamp is likely a starter and impact player and from his interview they see him almost exclusively on the wing. Dailey is improved and will need to get the back up minutes at SG and SF.

Because all of these things the minutes that were available at the PG / SG / SF positions the last 2 years are greatly reduced.

Now you look at the PF / C position and you have to figure out how to split up 80 minutes between Cook, Garza, Nunge, Pemsl, Kreiner and Baer. You know that Cook is getting 30 of those and Garza is getting 25 minutes. You have 25 minutes left for Pemsl, Baer and Kreiner.

Again, the danger for Iowa is Fran not knowing how to effectively split minutes up for everyone and too many players to keep happy. At least this year the players are going to likely be better instead of last year where Wagner and Ellingson were taking minutes.
That all makes sense except for Dailey needing to get the back up minutes at SG an SF. Why does he need to get those minutes? I think Baer ends up getting those minutes before Dailey. In fact, I could see Dailey getting pushed back out of the rotation altogether kinda like 2 years ago. I mean, he kinda really sucks
One of the biggest issues last year were guards breaking down defensively. Dailey showed he can stay in front of guys, had a much better year shooting than Baer and can handle the ball. Sure he looked like shit sometimes but Fran forced him to play fucking PG. There are so many guys playing out of position sometimes it's hard to get a feel for what a guy would do playing only their natural position.

This team will score regardless of if it's Baer or Dailey on the court. Fran seems to always sacrifice quickness and defense for length but at some point you have put emphasis on staying in front of your man defensively. I just don't think you can have both your PG and SF be terrible defenders. That puts too much pressure on defensive rotations, which this team already sucks at.
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,129
Reaction score
1,552
@Miller17 please get Trent back to this board ASAP to explain his rationale for saying live over the air in the #71 US radio market that Iowa State, who finished last in the Big 12 and adds coveted, dynamic, game changing transfers Shayok (8.9 ppg) and Jacobson (6 ppg), has a better chance of MAKING THE SWEET SIXTEEN next year than the Iowa Hawkeyes do of MAKING THE TOURNAMENT.

Your listeners want to better understand this scorching taek so our expectations are properly calibrated heading into summer.

comegetyourwhoopin.gif
 

Hawk_Kegmasters

saw Spice World in the theater
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
27,290
Reaction score
-4,257
@Miller17 please get Trent back to this board ASAP to explain his rationale for saying live over the air in the #71 US radio market that Iowa State, who finished last in the Big 12 and adds coveted, dynamic, game changing transfers Shayok (8.9 ppg) and Jacobson (6 ppg), has a better chance of MAKING THE SWEET SIXTEEN next year than the Iowa Hawkeyes do of MAKING THE TOURNAMENT.

Your listeners want to better understand this scorching taek so our expectations are properly calibrated heading into summer.

comegetyourwhoopin.gif
This Trent guy sounds like a real faggot.
 
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
133
Reaction score
-171
@Miller17 please get Trent back to this board ASAP to explain his rationale for saying live over the air in the #71 US radio market that Iowa State, who finished last in the Big 12 and adds coveted, dynamic, game changing transfers Shayok (8.9 ppg) and Jacobson (6 ppg), has a better chance of MAKING THE SWEET SIXTEEN next year than the Iowa Hawkeyes do of MAKING THE TOURNAMENT.

Your listeners want to better understand this scorching taek so our expectations are properly calibrated heading into summer.

comegetyourwhoopin.gif
on it, I’ll report back.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,835
@Miller17 please get Trent back to this board ASAP to explain his rationale for saying live over the air in the #71 US radio market that Iowa State, who finished last in the Big 12 and adds coveted, dynamic, game changing transfers Shayok (8.9 ppg) and Jacobson (6 ppg), has a better chance of MAKING THE SWEET SIXTEEN next year than the Iowa Hawkeyes do of MAKING THE TOURNAMENT.

Your listeners want to better understand this scorching taek so our expectations are properly calibrated heading into summer.

comegetyourwhoopin.gif
on it, I’ll report back.
If you remember, tell Trent that DougieB thinks he is a huge fucking moron.

Thanks!
 

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
45,866
Reaction score
3,104
And that he calls himself dougie b
 

foxhawks

Doesn't wash his butthole last
Joined
Apr 28, 2011
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
-17,987
I’m thinking he won’t report back.
 
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
6,003
Reaction score
-1,389
Correct, but I saw a video of him working out hard!!

Baer fucking sucks at SG though.

Who knows, there will be injuries and surprises. 2 years ago we were talking about Christian Williams starting and Dale Jones playing minutes. Last year about Williams being a solid back up and Ellingson not being worthless.
Who the fuck, EXACTLY, said that shit?
Your mom.

@AZmess dawg as well.
I always thought Ellingson was solid.

And yes, AZMessDawg has blindly supported 1 - Todd The Criminal and 2 - Brady Ellingson.
 

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
15,035
Reaction score
-3,376
Who the fuck, EXACTLY, said that shit?
Your mom.

@AZmess dawg as well.
I always thought Ellingson was solid.

And yes, AZMessDawg has blindly supported 1 - Todd The Criminal; and 2 - Brady Ellingson.
Ellingson was drafted as the 4th Drake player in the CapCity league draft last night. Behind stalwarts Nick McGlynn, Tremell Murphy, and Anthony Murphy. And will team up with ISU freshmen Talen Horton-Tucker and Zion Griffin along with Carlo Marble (and a bunch of guys I don't recognize)

/Ellingson update you don't care about
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,129
Reaction score
1,552
Your mom.

@AZmess dawg as well.
I always thought Ellingson was solid.

And yes, AZMessDawg has blindly supported 1 - Todd The Criminal; and 2 - Brady Ellingson.
Ellingson was drafted as the 4th Drake player in the CapCity league draft last night. Behind stalwarts Nick McGlynn, Tremell Murphy, and Anthony Murphy. And will team up with ISU freshmen Talen Horton-Tucker and Zion Griffin along with Carlo Marble (and a bunch of guys I don't recognize)

/Ellingson update you don't care about
And he didn’t even sign up for the cap city league!!
 

StinkyMcFadden

She/Her
Joined
Oct 20, 2007
Messages
53,318
Reaction score
-12,544
Your mom.

@AZmess dawg as well.
I always thought Ellingson was solid.

And yes, AZMessDawg has blindly supported 1 - Todd The Criminal; and 2 - Brady Ellingson.
Ellingson was drafted as the 4th Drake player in the CapCity league draft last night. Behind stalwarts Nick McGlynn, Tremell Murphy, and Anthony Murphy. And will team up with ISU freshmen Talen Horton-Tucker and Zion Griffin along with Carlo Marble (and a bunch of guys I don't recognize)

/Ellingson update you don't care about
Cameron Lard will not be playing because he's spending the summer learning about the food pyramid and also the best way to organize his closet.

"Good for him!!"
 
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
133
Reaction score
-171
I’m thinking he won’t report back.
On today’s show I brought up Trent’s shortsightedness towards Iowa’s 18/19 MBB season at the same time professing my support for the Sexiest Site on the Interweb”
 

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Joined
Aug 13, 2014
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
-826
On a scheduling note, I’d be shocked if Iowa doesn’t get Oregon first round at the 2K. That leaves UCONN and Syracuse as the other matchup. Oregon and Syracuse will both likely be ranked in the top 25.
Now official
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,235
Reaction score
27,835
Cook going full "NCAA where's my money pay the athletes" while arguing with twitter trolls.

I'm sure this will end well and there totally won't be people pointing out Iowa was in last place and Carver was half full.
 

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Joined
May 1, 2016
Messages
49,587
Reaction score
35,016
Cook going full "NCAA where's my money pay the athletes" while arguing with twitter trolls.

I'm sure this will end well and there totally won't be people pointing out Iowa was in last place and Carver was half full.
Carver half full? Why the big crowds?
 
Top