2018 recruiting

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
Iowa allowed 44% 3pt shooting in conference play.

There is no way in living fuck that happens again.

Iowa could do nothing different and jump 75 spots in defensive efficiency.
Just really unlucky on defense this year.
You need a bit of luck when your defensive philosophy is hope the other team misses their wide open shots.

Reaction score
Fundamentally the defense was horrible but there are a number of things factors that I think will cause it to improve without the addition of any great individual defenders. The totally depleted backcourt, bohannon's foot making him even worse, 3P% being crazy high even considering the looks, Fran's history over 12 years, probably having a young team that thought they were better than they were, etc. Better depth in the backcourt along with a wakeup call for the coaches and players will do a lot on it's own.

I'd rather be in the position of having to improve the defense with this personnel than having a team that ranked around 250th in offense with guys who can't score and hoping the offense can make a leap somehow.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Iowa is going to be good next year and back in the tournament. I am on board for a 6 or 7 seed.

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Reaction score
Hopefully CJ is responsible for a lot of RATTs.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
I have to admit that I no longer hate him as a recruit. The last couple of weeks have swayed me a bit. I’m still not convinced he’s the right fit for the team but it does sound like he is light years better than Brady Ellingson

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Neither were ranked by rivals, but CJ is ranked around 230 in the 247 composite. I don’t think he will jump into the rivals150 or anything but he has definitely finished strong, much like Nunge

Brady and Dailey were around 350. Sapp and Jordan were around 300. Williams wasn’t rated.

douglasbader

Reaction score
In fairness to Brady and Fran, it isn't like this was a situation where Fran was all enamored with Brady and he was some 2* scrub with no offers. He had legit offers from Missouri, Utah, Dayton, and a bunch of mid-majors.

Need to remember how all of this went down. The bigger thing as we have discussed over and over is offering Ellingson was seen as the way to get his much higher recruited AAU teammate Riley LaChance.

Tyler Ulis committed to Kentucky on Sept. 14th leaving Fran holding his dick. Fran tried to scramble and grab another point guard and LaChance was still on the market. They got Ellingson to visit on Sept. 20th and he committed on Sept. 25th. LaChance set his final official visit to Iowa a couple days later on Sept. 27th as he had already visited Vanderbilt, Michigan State and Minnesota. Recruiting analysts thought he was in the bag for Iowa at that point and looked like it was going to work out well, but then he had a change of heart and committed to Vanderbilt.

That left Iowa without Ulis, without LaChance and only Ellingson. Didn't seem too horrible at the time as he was considered one of the best shooters in the class.

douglasbader

Reaction score
LaChance started out well at Vanderbilt but then had a terrible sophomore season. It looked like he was going to be sort of shitty, but he finished his career very strong.

Ended his senior year at 14/3/3 shooting 45% from the floor and 42% from three.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
I don’t care how it went down. He’s one of my least liked Hawkeyes of all time

douglasbader

Reaction score
I don’t care how it went down. He’s one of my least liked Hawkeyes of all time
Oglesby should be less liked than him for any Iowa fan. At least Brady had the decency to get hurt for a season and average less than 10 mpg after that even if he did play.

That piece of shit Oglesby averaged over 18 mpg for 4 years and 27.4% and 28.2% from the field for entire seasons!! His shooting percentage was like 34% for his career.

34% from the field for a fucking "shooter" and he got 18 mpg!!!!!!!!

douglasbader

Reaction score
How the fuck did Oglesby get 2,289 minutes at Iowa with those stats?????????

We don't talk about how truly awful Oglesby was and how crazy it was that Fran kept throwing him back out there.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Fuck that, josh was a top 150 player with very good offers and he took a chance on a dogshit Iowa program at the time.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Fuck that, josh was a top 150 player with very good offers and he took a chance on a dogshit Iowa program at the time.
We aren't talking about his impact as a recruit. That is well documented.

There was no reason that Fran should have kept feeding him minutes year after year when he was fucking terrible.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score
We aren't talking about his impact as a recruit. That is well documented.

There was no reason that Fran should have kept feeding him minutes year after year when he was fucking terrible.
see McCabe, Zach.