**2021-2022 Iowa Basketball Season Thread**

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
I think Fran is a solid coach. But his legacy is ultimately going to be decided by either a deep run in March or winning the regular season douche.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I think Fran is a solid coach. But his legacy is ultimately going to be decided by either a deep run in March or winning the regular season douche.
I think your post contracts itself. His legacy is "solid coach". Acting like legacy is some binary "success" or "failure" and then defining success in a silly way is dumb.

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
I think your post contracts itself. His legacy is "solid coach". Acting like legacy is some binary "success" or "failure" and then defining success in a silly way is dumb.
He needs one of those two IMO for most fans to consider him a better coach than Davis.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Substitute perception for legacy and you're probably correct. One can argue it isn't fair or smart, but take a peek at HR or Twitter.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
He needs one of those two IMO for most fans to consider him a better coach than Davis.
That's self supporting, though. We're talking about whether or not people have realistic expectations, then saying the measure of success is whether or not expectations of message board posters are met.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Tom Davis hasn't been the coach at Iowa for twenty three years. You have to have the self awareness to realize that not everyone is your age. The guys Fran is recruiting now and current Iowa students watching their team weren't even born when he was the coach here.

6deuce

Reformed Fatass
Reaction score
Tom Davis hasn't been the coach at Iowa for twenty three years. You have to have the self awareness to realize that not everyone is your age. The guys Fran is recruiting now and current Iowa students watching their team weren't even born when he was the coach here.
We just won't know the effects Tom Davis has caused until we kill him. Then maybe the curse can be lifted.

Reaction score
Like what exactly could he have called? Like a literal play, or do you mean in general, like “defense?”

Because in general it looked to me like the team absolutely folded defensively when shots weren’t falling. Call that mental toughness or whatever, but it seemed clear they lost all interest defensively when they were clearly not scoring. Make layups and shots they usually make, they win going away. But if they would have played tougher defense they could have won too.
Richmond only scored 67 points. We take that outcome all-day-long.

Iowa failed to score more than 67 points in only 3 games this year: Iowa State, Rutgers, and Richmond. During the Big Ten Tournament, which we won, if you recall, 3 of the 4 opponents scored more than 67 and Purdue scored 66.

Iowa shot 20% from 3 against Richmond. Their season average was 36%. If they had shot a mere 27% from 3, they win. If they shoot their season average, it's a blowout.

It fucking sucks, but to blaming the defense is misplaced.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Richmond only scored 67 points. We take that outcome all-day-long.

Iowa failed to score more than 67 points in only 3 games this year: Iowa State, Rutgers, and Richmond. During the Big Ten Tournament, which we won, if you recall, 3 of the 4 opponents scored more than 67 and Purdue scored 66.

Iowa shot 20% from 3 against Richmond. Their season average was 36%. If they had shot a mere 27% from 3, they win. If they shoot their season average, it's a blowout.

It fucking sucks, but to blaming the defense is misplaced.
Well argued, I think I agree and am butt hurt specifically about inbound plays scoring layups. Along with missing layups, shooting so shitty, and maybe specifically Keegan looking pretty lost after he rolled his ankle/feet, etc.

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
Since inserting Perkins into the lineup, I believe Iowa had the highest ranked defense in the douche. We got a glimpse of how good Iowa can be with an ultra efficient offense and above average defense.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Reaction score
At least we’re able to get a nice bitch session in about halfway between the end of football and beginning of football.

Save some of your energy though, Spencer and Brian gonna need our A efforts this fall.

Btw, Fran is gonna lead us to the promised land at some point. He’s making steady progress - we shall all be rewarded eventually.

Vacations at the Wisconsin Dells
Reaction score
It was a great season, that BTT win was very fun. But the last two seasons' upsets in the NCAA tourney are upsetting. Each time we thought we had a special team that could make a decent run only to get our nuts crushed. It sucks that they decided to play their worst, most lackadaisical game of the season against Richmond, but I'm finally over it. Life as a Hawk fan goes on.

gohawkeyes811

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
It was a great season, that BTT win was very fun. But the last two seasons' upsets in the NCAA tourney are upsetting. Each time we thought we had a special team that could make a decent run only to get our nuts crushed. It sucks that they decided to play their worst, most lackadaisical game of the season against Richmond, but I'm finally over it. Life as a Hawk fan goes on.
I think we can all acknowledge that last year was an upset by seeding alone.

Oregon wins that game the vast majority of the time.

But yes, your point remains.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I hope Fran can make one or two sweet 16’s, so his legacy as a great coach is solidified. Like Todd The Criminal, Chris Lowery, John Groce, and Steve Prohm.

fossilhawk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Programs have been ruined by bad hires made under the assumption that "the ability to win in March" was a real thing.

Fran has more NCAA tournament wins at Iowa than both these dolts combined and finally got over the BTT hump this year. I'm happy giving him time - he's taken us from the bottom of the smoking crater The Criminal and [REDACTED] left us back to basically where we were in 1998 - competitive in conference, regular tourney bids, decent to good recruiting. BUT BUT BUT WHAT ABOUT MARCH -- these guys both made Sweet Sixteens the year before Iowa hired them, and they both proceeded to run Iowa into the ground.

This year's flameout sucked, but I'm not terribly interested in blowing the whole thing up and getting another dipshit flavor of the week. I like Fran and the trend lines are pretty good.

Alan Lomax

Reaction score
At least we’re able to get a nice bitch session in about halfway between the end of football and beginning of football.

Save some of your energy though, Spencer and Brian gonna need our A efforts this fall.

Btw, Fran is gonna lead us to the promised land at some point. He’s making steady progress - we shall all be rewarded eventually.

Alan Lomax

Reaction score
It would've been nice if we put the clamps on them and won a dud offensive game but Richmond scored .97 points per possession. They shot 42%, we won the turnover and rebounding battles. We had some bad possessions and it wasn't perfect but it was good enough to win if we make anything. The Shot Quality stuff showed we clearly got better shots with space even with the bad flow we had for large chunks.
Do you have a link for the shot quality information for other games? I’m curious about how other games shook out.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I like Fran. I'm glad he's our coach.

I wish he would get better guards. That's all I want from him. Better guards and the rest would take care of itself most years.
This. His guard recruiting in 12 years has been mediocre to bad with an infamous string of near misses and guys that just didn't pan out.

If Bowen is finally the guy, it will take care of a lot of problems.

It's really fucking weird because he had some good guards a Sienna, which is the reason he was able to beat much better teams in the NCAA Tournament.

douglasbader

Reaction score
10 of his 12 seasons have had either Gesell or bohannon as the starting point guard with Toussaint starting a couple partial seasons.
Yep, just sucks that Gesell was a SG stuck in a PG body and not nearly the 4* that he came in as. bohannon was never going to be anything more than what he was as a freshman.

Screwed up not getting Monte Morris, missed out on Tyler Ulis. Clemmons and Toussaint never more than role playing backups.

His best PG at Iowa still might be Bryce Cartwright his first year.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
It is impressive he has won any tournament games when you put it that way

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
10 of his 12 seasons have had either Gesell or bohannon as the starting point guard with Toussaint starting a couple partial seasons.
Used to love the lineups with Gesell and Ogelsby in the backcourt. Quite the sharpshooting pair.

Reactions: BBK

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Fran is good for Iowa. Would you really rather have a guy like Frank Martin, who got one flukey Final Four and has been hot garbage otherwise, and is now out the door at South Carolina?

douglasbader

Reaction score
Fran is good for Iowa. Would you really rather have a guy like Frank Martin, who got one flukey Final Four and has been hot garbage otherwise, and is now out the door at South Carolina?
IowaFan thinks that would be incredible.